The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards

Go Back   The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards > Discussion Forums > The "Mane" Forum
The "Mane" Forum This is where you'll find the community members talking about the latest and greatest in hair. Discuss everything hair here!

Main Menu

hair styles The Community
hair care Home
prom hair Articles
long hair styles Product Reviews
long hair care Boutique
long hair prom styles Forums
hair styles Memberlist
hair care Chat Room
prom hair styles Calendar
long hair style FAQ
long hair care Contribute!

growing long hair Contact zone
long hair care products Staff
long hair gallery Contact Us
long hair updo Advertising

Archives

User Name:

Password:

Remember Me?
Not a member yet?
Register Now!

Old December 4th, 2003, 06:39 AM   #1
g_michelle
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 24/46/50
Type: 2b/M/iii
Trader Rating: 3

Magnesium deficiency and excessive hair loss

My best friend telephoned me last month. During the conversation, she asked me if I lose very much hair. I explained that I lose some when detangling, but nothing I'm concerned about. She told me her hair is falling out at an alarming rate, that it comes out in her hands if she runs her fingers through her hair. She has always been one of the healthiest ladies ever, being careful to take only natural supplements. I suggested she get checked for thyroid imbalance, as I am aware one of the symptoms of thyroid disease is excessive hair loss. I checked back with her yesterday. She told me she had a complete workup with lots of tests, and she was found to have a magnesium deficiency. I did not mention she has previously been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, for which there is not alot that can be done. She is now taking a supplement called "Fibromyalgia Relief", which contains a large supplement of magnesium, and reports the hair loss is lessening. This is just FYI, and maybe someone else can elaborate on the theory.
Old December 4th, 2003, 08:28 AM   #2
Axium
Long Hair Guru

Type: 1a/1b/F/ii
Trader Rating: 8

Ah.....well, at least they figured it out and can help...
Hair journal

Ax's guide to long hair links
Old December 4th, 2003, 10:21 AM   #3
Igor
Long Hair Guru

Length: 0,0/39,4/More!
Type: 1b/C/iii
Trader Rating: 19

Oh wow!!!! :shock:
I’m SO glad you posted this! 10 minutes ago I was just looking at the declaration at my vitamin-bottle and thought “Do I really NEED all this stuff? It’s so expensive!” Now I have proof! Thank you, g_michelle! :mrgreen:
(My vitamins have a full daily dose of 13 vitamins, 10 minerals and 10 herbs, and as already mentioned- they’re really expensive and I have to take FOUR big pills a day :shock: )
Old December 4th, 2003, 02:33 PM   #4
Anne
Long Hair Guru

Trader Rating: 19

::running to check the magnesium levels in my vit::

Thanks
Old December 4th, 2003, 03:09 PM   #5
Persephone
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 31/40/43
Type: 1c/F/ii
Trader Rating: 0

That would explain my mother's incredibly thin hair, and her fibro... and the fact that she felt a LOT better when she was taking calcium and magnesium...

Old December 5th, 2003, 12:46 AM   #6
BeeLady
Long Hair Guru

Length: bsl/44/44
Type: 2b/2c/M/ii
Trader Rating: 16

I have been spurred on by this post to thinking about the following:

Magnesium is one of the elements our body makes use of to deal with stress (I took a magnesium supplement on recommendation for stress related symptoms) could it be possible that that contributes to stress hair loss? Because our body will make use of the elements available and draw them from wherever when it needs them, could it be part of stress shedding?

Just a random passing thought from the revolving brain of Bees.

Down 41.5 lbs with the help of WW, maintaining loss.
Old December 5th, 2003, 04:20 AM   #7
Dulci
Long Hair Guru

Length: 39"/55"/???
Type: 3a/3b/F/M/ii
Trader Rating: 8

Excellent thought Bees! One of the subtopics in the following link is on stress and magnesium.

I have a bunch of magnesium links, here's one: Rapid Recovery from Depression Using Magnesium Treatment http://www.coldcure.com/html/dep.html Talks about more than just depression, and how almost everyone is deficient in mg. How difficult it is to get enough mg in foods these days, the soil is depleted. Different forms of mg; lot of interesting subtopics.

Here is a ton o' links: Magnesium, Drinking Water and Health http://www.mgwater.com/index.shtml Getting your mg in mineral and spring waters.

This one is so interesting! http://www.enzymestuff.com/epsomsalts.htm They have discovered that autistic children have very low levels of mg in their blood, and when they give the children epsom salts baths (which is magnesium sulfate), their blood levels show measurable increases in mg, and their behavior and concentration improves. Apparently it is easier for your skin to absorb the mg than it is for your body to ingest it.

This Dr. is into Longevity and Rejuvenation, he sells (very expensive!) magnesium choride bath salts, lotion and body oils in his online store: http://www.shealyhealthnet.com/products.htm . I have googled around looking for pharmaceutical grade mg chloride, it is expensive! But a cheap source seems to be that environmentally friendly road salt! I'm going to check it out next time I go to Lowes or Home Depot...

another easy way to get trace amounts of many important minerals into your diet is to throw out your regular salt and cook with sea salt.
Old December 5th, 2003, 04:42 AM   #8
Rhiannon
Long Hair Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeLady
could it be possible that that contributes to stress hair loss?

I think I know the answer BeeLady because I just finished possibly the worlds most boring class on cells. It was as exciting as warm milk and stale Oreos on a hot day.

Magnessium is one of the trace elements the body has to have. It plays a part in protein structure and development in the cells which is what we are mostly made of.

If your magnessium level is low your cells don't have what they need to adequatlely produce protien so naturally hair which is keratin protein will be effected among many other things. Wow, I actually did get something out of that class!
Old December 5th, 2003, 05:44 AM   #9
g_michelle
Long Hair Devotee

As usual, the ladies have responded with some really valuable information! This morning, I checked my One-A-Day Weight Smart label to discover it supplies only 12% of the RDA of magnesium. My friend had told me in June she was taking these and felt really good. So, I bought them. I'm supposing I should go to Wal-Mart and buy a magnesium supplement. Does anyone know which foods are rich in magnesium?
Old December 5th, 2003, 10:04 AM   #10
Persephone
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 31/40/43
Type: 1c/F/ii

I found this page with a bunch of foods on it!

http://www.marinurology.com/articles/calculi/foods/magnesium.htm

Old December 5th, 2003, 10:17 AM   #11
euphrasyne
Long Hair Guru

Length: 20/32.75/42.66
Type: 2c/C/ii

Magnesuim rich foods: raw green leafy veggies, broccoli, nuts, beets, potatoes, milk. cooking can sometimes break down magnesium.

cheryl
Old December 7th, 2003, 05:20 AM   #12
Kitty Brite
Long Hair Devotee

She hasn't been eating large amounts of fish has she? Like tuna from a can or tuna steak? The larger kinds of fish can give you mercury poisioning. She might want to check that out. Mercury poisioning also contributes to hair loss. It makes your hair fall out in patches when your mercury level is way too high.
Old December 8th, 2003, 05:48 AM   #13
g_michelle
Long Hair Devotee

I don't know about how much fish she eats. They live in Michigan, though. She does eat lots and lots of fresh vegetables and grows her own bountiful, organic garden. Thank you for the tip. I have a cousin in PA who was found to have arsenic in her system. She, too, is a big vegetable-eater with very little meat in her diet. She lives in a major steel-industry city.