The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards

Go Back   The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards > Extras > Product Reviews > Treatments

Main Menu

hair styles The Community
hair care Home
prom hair Articles
long hair styles Product Reviews
long hair care Boutique
long hair prom styles Forums
hair styles Memberlist
hair care Chat Room
prom hair styles Calendar
long hair style FAQ
long hair care Contribute!

growing long hair Contact zone
long hair care products Staff
long hair gallery Contact Us
long hair updo Advertising

Archives

User Name:

Password:

Remember Me?
Not a member yet?
Register Now!

Old May 4th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #1
Milena
Long Hair Devotee

Length: chin/shld/?
Type: 1b/F/M/i/ii
Trader Rating: 0

Thumbs up Sebastian Colourshines

I just colored my hair again, and I just have to write a review on Sebastian Colourshines. It's a great and in my experience non-damaging way to achieve a natural-looking enhancement of my haircolor.

I've been using this stuff for years to color my dark blonde hair red. I use the Glorious Gold shade mixed with a drop of Gleaming Copper. I have managed to fool even hairdressers into thinking that I am a natural redhead...

This is semi-permanent color with no peroxide or ammonia. It basically just gives a transparent glaze, it won't lighten hair. It is also somewhat conditioning (they also sell it in clear), as there are some proteins in there, but mainly it's based on Dimethicone Copolyol, a water-soluble silicone. I usually avoid cones, but in this context I have not noticed any harm. Rather, I feel that my hair benefits from the protection if I use this once a month. In any event, my hair always comes out beautifully shiny and soft.

It's meant for salon use, where it is supposed to be applied on slightly damp hair, and then you sit under a heating cap for 20 minutes. I do it differently, because I have no heating cap, and I also wouldn't want to use it. I just wash my hair with a clarifying shampoo, wait until it is only damp, put on the Colourshines stuff, and then cover it with a plastic cap and a woolen hat. I then leave it on for about 2 1/2 hours. I have gone as far as four or five hours, but I feel 2 1/2 hours is enough in order for the color to take well and be relatively permanent. Afterwards, I wash and condition my hair as usual.

I have had great success with this method, and I just wanted to share my experience. (The best place to buy it seems to be www.cosmeticmagic.com, in case anyone is interested...)

Last edited by Milena : May 4th, 2007 at 03:31 PM.
Old May 5th, 2007, 02:34 AM   #2
wanderingstar
Long Hair Admirer

Length: ??/20/30+
Type: 1a/1b//

Re: Sebastian Colourshines

oooh, I had heard good things about these and have been wanting to know more about them. I am growing out color and had wondered if these may enhance my hair a bit in the process and help with the condition. I know you can also purchase them from www.sleekhair.com but I have never ordered from this company before so am not sure how reliable they are.
Old May 5th, 2007, 04:48 AM   #3
Milena
Long Hair Devotee

I have also ordered this stuff from Sleekhair once -- no problems whatsoever. Just the last time I ordered I think they were out of my shade, or they didn't have it on sale and it was more expensive, I can't remember. Cosmeticmagic was fine, too, and they don't charge shipping on orders over $25.

And yes, I think this might be good for the transition if you are growing out color. I have only good experiences with it.

Oh, and I forgot to say that (depending on how much hair you have, of course), one bottle should last you for more than one use. I get about three (or four?) uses out of one bottle (granted, I don't have a ton of hair, but I also apply it very generously).

Last edited by Milena : May 5th, 2007 at 04:52 AM.
Old May 5th, 2007, 11:09 AM   #4
Milena
Long Hair Devotee

Oh, and another great thing about this is that you can mix the shades as you like.
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:29 AM   #5
Milena
Long Hair Devotee

Unhappy Re: Sebastian Colourshines

I can't believe they did this.... DISCONTINUED this product!

This seriously sucks! I have always been afraid of that to happen. Now I ordered the last eight bottles of my shade at an online supplier (for $15 each, on sale because of the discontinuation), but then that's it... Apparently there is a replacement for it that is at least available in Germany (probably elsewhere, too, I don't know -- I will soon live in Germany again), but it is EXPENSIVE. See http://sebastianshop.net/katalog/cellophanes
This was the greatest haircolor product ever, so I am mourning...

Last edited by Milena : May 24th, 2007 at 03:32 AM.