The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards

Go Back   The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards > Discussion Forums > Swap Board
Swap Board Have something to swap? Looking for something particular? This is your place! HAIR RELATED ITEMS ONLY!

Main Menu

hair styles The Community
hair care Home
prom hair Articles
long hair styles Product Reviews
long hair care Boutique
long hair prom styles Forums
hair styles Memberlist
hair care Chat Room
prom hair styles Calendar
long hair style FAQ
long hair care Contribute!

growing long hair Contact zone
long hair care products Staff
long hair gallery Contact Us
long hair updo Advertising

Archives

User Name:

Password:

Remember Me?
Not a member yet?
Register Now!

Old April 26th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #1
Keenkitty
Long Hair Guru

Length: 5/24.5!/33!
Type: 2c/M/C/ii/iii
Trader Rating: 2

Black Walnut Hull to swap or give away

So I have about.... 10 ounces of black walnut hull powder.

I have "heard" that it can be used as a hair dye...but have not had any results.

But I do have some and want to give it so someone who would use it.

Its also said to be good for intestinal cleansing? which is NOT hair related but..The dye part is... and thats what I got it for, just don't use it and its lying in waste.

Let me know via PM

KJ

Journal!
Old April 27th, 2007, 07:17 AM   #2
Keenkitty
Long Hair Guru

Length: 5/24.5!/33!
Type: 2c/M/C/ii/iii
Trader Rating: 2

Re: Black Walnut Hull to swap or give away

Okidokiness

Elocin88

Got back to me first! So Its PENDING!

KJ

Journal!
Old April 27th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #3
ktani
Long Hair Guru

Length: 4 in/24/28
Type: 2b/F/i
Trader Rating: 0

Re: Black Walnut Hull to swap or give away

Just be careful with it - it does have cautions.

Notes on Juglone

"The natural toxin juglone causes degradation of p53 and induces rapid H2AX phosphorylation and cell death in human fibroblasts.

Juglone (5-hydroxy-1,4-naphtoquinone) is a natural toxin produced by walnut trees. In this study we show that juglone differentially reduces viability of human cells in culture.

Our results show that juglone has multiple effects on cells such as the induction of DNA damage, inhibition of transcription, reduction of p53 protein levels and the induction of cell death."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=162716 20&dopt=Abstract

"Black Walnut Toxicity
The largest concentrations of juglone and hydrojuglone (converted to juglone by sensitive plants) occur in the walnut's buds, nut hulls, and roots. However, leaves and stems do contain a smaller quantity."
http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/hortcult...s/blkwalnt.htm

"The bad news is that the only biologically active compound unique to walnut trees is not a good medication: it kills plants, poisons other mammals, and is less efficacious as a therapeutic than other drugs.
Walnut trees contain a toxin called Juglone, which is a naphthaquinone found in all parts of plants of the walnut family Although Juglone has not been proven acutely toxic in humans, walnut trees pose an allergic threat to many people.
To sum up, extracts from walnut trees, or any members of the Juglandaceae family, are useful for many things, but not for medications, since juglone is potentially toxic and raw extracts are potentially allergenic. Fortunately, there is no juglone present in the fruits of these trees, so walnuts and pecans are a healthy and delicious addition to foods, which makes them agriculturally valuable."
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives...1900.Me.r.html

"Adverse Reactions

Allergic reactions to black walnut in animals and humans have occurred. 17 Allergy studies involving skin testing with black walnut pollen (and other pollens) finds moderate allergic reactions in certain individuals. 18 Reports on dermatitis from black walnut 19 , 20 and on E. coli in black walnut 21 are available.
Black walnut is contraindicated in pregnancy because of possible cathartic effects at higher doses and in patients with chronic disease of the GI tract. 22 , 23

Toxicology

Juglone, the naphthaquinone found in black walnut and many others in the family Juglandaceae, is regarded as a toxin."
http://www.drugs.com/npp/black-walnut.html

"Black Walnut Juglans nigra

Summary

When taken by mouth, black walnut may have some effectiveness for gastrointestinal ailments. Chemicals in black walnut products may shrink skin and mucosal tissue, making them useful for mouth sores and skin conditions such as ringworm or wounds.

Risks

Individuals with intestinal, liver, or stomach conditions should not use black walnut due to its possible irritating effects. Women who are pregnant or breast-feeding and small children should also avoid using black walnut.

Side Effects

Liver or kidney damage and some types of oral cancer may be more likely to affect individuals who take large doses of products, like black walnut, that have a high content of chemicals known as tannins for long periods of time. Potentially, tannin-containing products can cause stomach upset when taken by mouth. They may also irritate damaged skin when applied topically.

Interactions

No specific interactions have been identified between black walnut and prescription drugs, non-prescription drugs, other supplements, or foods.

However, because few reliable studies of black walnut have been conducted, it may have interactions with drugs, foods, and other dietary supplements. Other oral products that contain tannins have interfered with the way the body uses certain drugs. Be sure that your doctor and pharmacist are aware of all the prescription and non-prescription medicines you take before you begin to use black walnut or any other herbal supplement."
http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/Printab...5,4080,00.html