The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards

Go Back   The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards > Hair Journals > Public Hair Journals
Public Hair Journals Start a thread to create your own journal for highlighting your hair growing experience. Posting new entries is as easy as replying to your own thread!

Main Menu

hair styles The Community
hair care Home
prom hair Articles
long hair styles Product Reviews
long hair care Boutique
long hair prom styles Forums
hair styles Memberlist
hair care Chat Room
prom hair styles Calendar
long hair style FAQ
long hair care Contribute!

growing long hair Contact zone
long hair care products Staff
long hair gallery Contact Us
long hair updo Advertising

Archives

User Name:

Password:

Remember Me?
Not a member yet?
Register Now!

Old March 14th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #1
HairIsMyGlory
Long Hair Admirer

Type: 4a/4b//
Trader Rating: 0

Armpit Length here I come!

I am on a serious mission to grow my hair out to armpit length by the end of the year. My hair is relaxed, thin, and barely touching my shoulders. The current length of my hair is 17 inches and I need approximately 4 more inches to reach armpit length. I am starting this hair journal to chronicle which products work best on my hair, how many inches my hair grows between relaxers, and whether I need to take vitamins to boost my hair growth.

If you would like to make any suggestions or constructive comments, I welcome your input.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 04:50 PM   #2
HairIsMyGlory
Long Hair Admirer

Re: Armpit Length here I come!

Today is wash day. I decided to go to the gym after work and give myself the works. Before I go into my hair regimen, let me give you a little background about my hair.

I have always relied on my stylist to take care of my hair. I found Long Hair Care Forum in the fall of 2005, and since that time, I have begun to take more responsibility for the maintenance of my hair. There are many on Long Hair Care Forum who advocate stretching relaxers and I am a believer. I never dreamed my 4a/b hair could withstand three months between touchups, but I only had four touchups last year. My hair is longer, stronger, and a bit thicker than it has been for the past twenty years. I used to go to the hair salon every three weeks, now I only go to get a touchup every twelve weeks. I don't think I'll ever be an Andre (Oprah's hairstylist) in the styling department, but I do okay.

I have a simple regimen. I wash my hair weekly with Neutrogena Triple Moisture (NTM) shampoo, deep condition with NTM Hair Recovery Mask for about 30 minutes, and then add NTM Anti-Frizz cream as a leave-in. NTM products have a pleasant scent, and the products work well on my hair. My hair is thin and if I use heavy products, like cholesterol, my hair comes out flat without any bounce. I know I need to add protein to my regimen because my hair stylist told me that my hair is too soft and it doesn't feel strong. My hair doesn't shed excessively nor is it breaking, but it does feel a little too soft.

Well, I decided to try some new products today. After working out, I washed my hair with Mane n Tail shampoo, then deep conditioned in the sauna for 15 minutes with Aura Cherry Bark conditioner. I rinsed off the Aura Cherry Bark, and then added some Mane n Tail conditioner for about 5 minutes. I noticed the Mane n Tail conditioner sort of hardened my hair so I rinsed that completely out m,uch quicker than I anticipated. I applied some Elasta QP Oil Recovery and allowed my hair to air dry. When my hair finished drying, I lightly applied Isoplus Hair & Scalp Treatment to my scalp and some more Elasta QP Oil Recovery to my length. The result-soft, bouncy hair with sheen. I am eight weeks post and my hair maintenance is relatively painless.

This is my first time using the Aura Cherry Bark conditioner. I like the thickness, creaminess, and the scent. Aura Cherry Bark is a great detangler and provides great slip. I also used Elasta QP Oil Recovery for the first time. This moisturizer readily absorbs into the hair and it doesn't weigh down my thin strands. The Mane n Tail shampoo and conditioner were all right, but I guess I have to use both more to determine if they are doing anything for my hair.

I plan to get a touchup at 12 or 13 weeks post, and I need to grow and retain at least 1 1/2 inches of hair at each of my next three touchups to make my goal of armpit length by the end of the year. I CAN do this!
Old March 25th, 2007, 11:55 AM   #3
HairIsMyGlory
Long Hair Admirer

I am 9 weeks into a 12 week stretch. My hair looks presentable and I am not experiencing any breakage. I am extremely diligent about moisturizing my hair twice a day during the latter stages of my stretch. I don't wear protective styles mainly because I don't look good in a bun. My daily hairstyle is a rollerset and I wonder if I am manipulating my hair too much by combing it everyday. I have to come out of my comfort zone and do some experimentation with different styles. My hair stylist recently did a great spiral curl set on my hair. I was extremely pleased with the style and I may get this style more frequently as a protective style.

I washed my hair this afternoon. I began with Mane n Tail shampoo. I tend to only lather once since my scalp tends to stay clean and free of dandruff. I deep conditioned with Aura Cherry Almond Bark conditioner for 30 minutes with heat. My hair feels so silky when I rinse off the conditioner. I applied some Elasta QP Oil Recovery to my hair and allowed my hair to air dry. I lightly applied some Isoplus Hair & Scalp Treatment to my ends. Isoplus helps my ends to dry less frizzy. After my hair dried (usually within two hours), I lightly grease my scalp with Isoplus Hair & Scalp Treatment, apply some more Oil Recovery to my length, and rollerset my hair. These products are working well for my hair at this stage of the game. I am not experiencing any breakage during my washes.
Old April 27th, 2007, 02:38 PM   #4
HairIsMyGlory
Long Hair Admirer

I know it has been a while since I have written about my quest to armpit length hair. Corporate America keeps me extremely busy, so I just haven't had the time to come in and write about my hair.

I went to the hair salon on Saturday, April 21 to get a touchup. My hair felt and looked good even though it was thirteen weeks since I had my hair relaxed. My stylist is very good about the method in which she applies the relaxer-she works fast and evenly. The problem is I think my stylist used a relaxer other than Mizani on my hair because my hair is looking a little too limp for my taste.

After my stylist conditioned my hair, I went to the ladies room to measure my hair. I measured 18 inches. My hair was not combed straight back so I don't know if my measurement is accurate. You may recall when I began this journal that I stated I wanted to achieve at least 1 1/2 inches every time I relaxed my hair. Well, I only retained 1 inch since January. If I jump ahead to October when I plan to get my last relaxer of the year, I will only have 20 inches of hair and 20 inches will not translate into armpit length hair. I am now looking into vitamins which will help to boost my growth rate. I am leaning towards biotin and horsetail vitamins because my research has shown me they are powerful hair growth boosters.

My stylist also told me to use Aphogee. She emphatically stated my hair is too soft. I probably overconditioned my hair as I am fanatical about keeping my line of demarcation moisturized. During the weeks I did not write in this hair journal, I went back to my Neutrogena Triple Moisture product regimen. I think I am going to consistently use Mane n Tail or this new hemp protein shampoo and conditioner I recently purchased. If I have any good news to report about my salon visit, it is I did not need a trim. According to my stylist, my ends look very good. I think if I can master this issue of more protein in my hair shaft, I will soon have long, strong, and healthy hair.

Last edited by HairIsMyGlory : April 27th, 2007 at 03:11 PM.