The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards

Go Back   The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards > Discussion Forums > The "Mane" Forum
The "Mane" Forum This is where you'll find the community members talking about the latest and greatest in hair. Discuss everything hair here!

Main Menu

hair styles The Community
hair care Home
prom hair Articles
long hair styles Product Reviews
long hair care Boutique
long hair prom styles Forums
hair styles Memberlist
hair care Chat Room
prom hair styles Calendar
long hair style FAQ
long hair care Contribute!

growing long hair Contact zone
long hair care products Staff
long hair gallery Contact Us
long hair updo Advertising

Archives

User Name:

Password:

Remember Me?
Not a member yet?
Register Now!

Old January 12th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #1
missmelaniem
Long Hair Devotee

Type: 1a/1b/F/M/ii
Trader Rating: 0

Using a blow dryer with the least damage

Hi there!

I need helpful hints from those so very few of you that still may use a blow dryer on a regular basis. I want to maximize the protection for my hair -- especially the ends of course. I currently use alcohol free styling products and always have something on the ends that I hope protects it. I use medium heat and I have an ionizing hairdryer. Any other suggestions?
Old January 12th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #2
talullah
Long Hair Guru

Length: ??/25/waist
Type: 2a/F/iii

Re: Using a blow dryer with the least damage

I use low heat and I try to keep the blowdryer far away from my hair (several inches). I also wait until my hair is only slightly damp--I keep it in a microfiber towel until I'm ready to dry it. Since your hair is straight, you should be able to do this, too. (Curlies would need to start drying it before it starts to really curl up). Or, you can dry it and stop before it gets completely dry, leaving a little bit of moisture in. You could also dry your hair upside down, so that you're not focusing the heat directly on your canopy.

I also do regular moisture treatments (SMT) to prevent my hair from getting too dried out.

The only other thing I can think of is to be gentle with your brush while you're drying, as hair is of course weaker when wet. The safest option would be to use only your hands and skip the brush.
Old January 12th, 2007, 07:54 PM   #3
RainyDZ
Long Hair Devotee

Length: Pixie/TBone/BSL
Type: 1b/C/iii

Uh... How about ditching blow dryer altogether? >_<'' I always air dry and I have no problems with it whatsoever.
Old January 13th, 2007, 01:07 AM   #4
ChloeDharma
Long Hair Guru

Length: crop/bra/hip+
Type: 2a/F/ii

Talullah's ideas are very good. As of course is RainyDZ's suggestion for not using one at all.....but you've already stated that's not happening.
Definately be really careful over brush selection when using it on moist hair, the closer the teeth are the more they will stretch and stress the hair possibly leading to snapping and making some go all pube like....not a good look!
What is it you want from your hairdryer? Just to speed drying time? Or to force it into a style? Keeping the heat as low as you can, and the hand idea is a good one. In fact, my mum used to tell me to hold a brush so that the air went directly onto my hand....she said that way you could make sure you don't burn the hair. That's for basic blow drying of course.
Also, always make sure the direction of air-flow goes towards the tips of the hair, never towards the scalp....otherwise it lifts the cuticle scales causing dullness and more moisture loss.
You already use protective products so that ones covered.....
I think really, as long as you really are gentle and don't use much heat, don't use close together bristle brushes, don't use high speed, and don't direct the air up the shaft toward the scalp.....AND if your hair has some strength to it (mine can't cope with being blowdried.....uberfrizz!) you should be ok

The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.
Old January 13th, 2007, 03:17 AM   #5
Hotflashes
Long Hair Devotee

Length: pixie/bbsl/Waist
Type: 2c/3a/F/M/ii

I have minimal damage from my blowdryer - my hairstylist has told me my hair is in great shape so I'm pretty sure I'm not deluding myself ...

I have a great dryer. I'm using a T3 for the past year or so, and prior to this I had a Babyliss Odyssey for many years. I do think it makes a difference for me, of course YMMV.

I use an Aquis, and let things dry in there for awhile while I lotion the bod, put my face on and putter around getting ready.

I only dry completely the parts that give me major heartburn .. in my case the front (the wildly curly frizzy and unfortunately, thinnest, portion of my hair). Then I headbang a few times and blow upside down, mostly the nape, the thickest part of my hair. I'm never really drying all the way, unless I have an uncontrollable urge to straighten and use my flat iron, which is pretty rare these days. I also keep the dryer as far away as I can. I have one of those dryer stands, which if I bother to use, helps me do this, but I'll admit it's usually just sitting in the corner holding up headbands and a towel or two

I use my fingers, almost never do I use a brush to dry. If I do, it's usually a giant paddle brush, low stress. And I'm the leave-in Queen. A spray and a cream, plus something coney on the very ends. Lately, I've been using nothing but Nexxus and A|G from shampoo and conditioner to leave-ins. I'm very happy with the state of my hair, even with daily blow drying.

Lordy this is long, my apologies. Hope it helps!
Old January 13th, 2007, 04:04 AM   #6
missmelaniem
Long Hair Devotee

Type: 1a/1b/F/M/ii

Thank all of you so much for the recs, including the product recs!!

Basically I use the blowdryer to get it dry, as my hair is already pretty straight, and the product that I use pretty much straightens out any other tendency to wave. I do only use my fingers on my wet hair, though, and natural bristle brush (is that really all that good?) after it is dry.

I really have to work on keeping it further away from my head, though!

Any other tips or product recs would be appreciated!

Thanks again ladies!
Old January 13th, 2007, 04:49 AM   #7
Carolyn
Long Hair Guru

Length: 18"?/36"/40"
Type: 1c/2a/M/ii
Trader Rating: 22

I have a slight wave that I like to straighten out sometimes. I see we have similar hair types so this may work for you too. I let my hair air dry until just minutes away from being real dry. I finger comb as my hair is drying. Then when I'm at the point where there is just the slightest bit of dampness left in my hair, I'll make sure my hair is really detangled well, and then I'll use a BBB to smooth and pull it straight. It almost gives a blow dried look. I got the idea from advice on the Morrocco Method site. I know that brushing wet hair is damaging as it can stretch and snap hairs. This isn't brushing really wet hair to detangle it. It's smoothing almost dry hair. This might work for you. If you hear hairs snapping and feel them pulling then it's not going to work for you.