The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards

Go Back   The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards > Discussion Forums > Hair Products
Hair Products Have you just tried a new product and want to tell us about it? Are you looking for a new product to try? Come on in!

Main Menu

hair styles The Community
hair care Home
prom hair Articles
long hair styles Product Reviews
long hair care Boutique
long hair prom styles Forums
hair styles Memberlist
hair care Chat Room
prom hair styles Calendar
long hair style FAQ
long hair care Contribute!

growing long hair Contact zone
long hair care products Staff
long hair gallery Contact Us
long hair updo Advertising

Archives

User Name:

Password:

Remember Me?
Not a member yet?
Register Now!

Old December 12th, 2006, 02:14 AM   #1
Kuchen

Length: shldr/armpt/BSL
Type: 2a/M/ii
Trader Rating: 0

Henné Color pre-mixed henna, conditioners and shampoos

I haven't been able to find a thread that deals with just this company, though they're probably one of the most widely distributed henna brands in Europe. Hey, the other day I passed a very chic salon in town and they had a window display made of boxes of the "brown" henna. Must be someone other than me who loves the packaging!

So, post your reviews and comments here!

I've used the cassia/"neutral henna" mix on several occasions and have found it to be perfectly good, though I also noticed that it has actual henna, as in turn-your-hair-red henna in it – not so good for those who were looking for something truly neutral.

I've also used the quinquina (comes in a pink box) and that worked fine too; more astringent than straight cassia, I think. The mix includes cassia, nettle, rosemary, thyme, henna-henna and betula alba.

Anyone tried the browns/chestnuts? I'm thinking of using them when I run out of Lush henna. Also, any reviews for the conditioners?
Old December 12th, 2006, 04:14 AM   #2
ringuhair
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 10/38/42
Type: 2c/3a/C/iii

Re: Henné Color pre-mixed henna, conditioners and shampoos

There's a paper somewhere online with the chemical constituents of a few brands of henna and hairdyes, and the good news is Henné Color does not contain PPD (not even the black mix) or other color additives*, and their red (auburn, I think) shade was the only tested sample that tested positive for lawsone... in a very small concentration. So at least I knew it was safe.

I must say that I was completely unimpressed by their indigo (that is, their "black" henna - 95% indigo, 5% henna). It was extremely gritty and while I got some "dye release", it was very weak. It only deposited a faint ash tone on my test strands. Keep in mind that this "henna" made its way from Europe to Canada and sat on a shelf for quite some time...

I'm guessing that the mixes with a higher henna content might be a little better, since it seems to have a better shelf life. I wouldn't expect too much of a brown mix, given the half-dead indigo and the fact that henna and indigo have different dye release/demise times (over which you have no control when they're already mixed together). Eh, at least we know better than to follow their instructions (apply immediately, rinse after one hour?).

* Does not apply to their henna creams, which are compound henna IIRC.
Old December 12th, 2006, 07:33 AM   #3
ChloeDharma
Long Hair Guru

Length: crop/bra/hip+
Type: 2a/F/ii

This is the brand of henna i use....except i use the mahoganny one (the powder not the cream).
I personally really like it, but i know it's not pure BAQ henna, still tons better than chemical colours though.

The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.
Old December 12th, 2006, 11:45 PM   #4
Kuchen

Thank you for the responses!

Ringuhair – I read about the indigo/henna release times here, but I haven't had an issue with it when using Lush's henna mixes (although I know many people have – Rain said she hadn't found anyone on the Lush forums who'd got black black from Caca Noir). I expect the Lush henna/indigo is kept very fresh though. Pity about the wretched cocoa butter!

Chloedharma – you use mahoghany, not red? It looks superb!
Old December 15th, 2006, 12:17 AM   #5
Isilme
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 23/28,5/30
Type: 1c/F/M/ii/iii

good to know the "black" deosen't contain any chemicals, maybe something for bf's dark brown hair (he wants black) Chloe! I think your red is beautiful! Your are one of the redheads who inspires me, it's not that many of us who wants that bright red/copper, feel free to pm me if you have any tips on how to stay bright red! Kuchen! Thanks for starting this thread! Love your name
Old December 15th, 2006, 02:39 AM   #6
Melian
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 27/waist/hip
Trader Rating: 2

I do know that the black version does not contain ppd, but I thought the ebene version (extra black) did contain ppd.....
Old December 15th, 2006, 05:59 AM   #7
Henna Sooq
Long Hair Devotee

RinguHair
where have you been????? I have been thinking about you. I hope you are well. I am sure you are busy with school and all. Drop me a line to say hey when you get time.

Sorry not about henne hair color products as I only import straight bulk powders from India and other countries where it grows.

Khadija
Old December 17th, 2006, 01:06 AM   #8
ChloeDharma
Long Hair Guru

Length: crop/bra/hip+
Type: 2a/F/ii

Kuchen....thankyou sweetie yes, i use the mahoganny, i actually find in that range that the mahoganny looks more "red" and the other proper red one is more "coppery" which i do think is a gorgious colour, but i tend to just stick with this so that i get the consistant colour.

Isilme WOW!!! THANKYOU!! i'm really flattered by what you said! Unfortunately i'm still working on keeping it vibrant....both of my pictures were taken after my hair had been freshly henna'd, though the avatar pic was taken after using Lush caca rouge. My hair had been previousely lightened by chemical red dyes though which is growing out now.

The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.
Old December 17th, 2006, 02:41 AM   #9
iris
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 20/24/30
Type: 2c/M/ii/iii
Trader Rating: 12

Not all of their shades are free of synthetics. The 'ebony black' does indeed have PPD, and some of the red shades (auburn, I think, and one other) contain sodium picramate, a dye enhancer. I haven't been able to find much information about sodium picramate, except one page in German that says SP 'ändert das Erbgut', which I don't know what it means (but it sounds scary).

So, I've always avoided the ebony black and the shades with sodium picramate. All the other powders I've tried: the other reds, the brown, the blonde, the indigo. The quality is pretty bad IMO. The stuff is full of dyed sand (usual for Indian hennas), and there's hardly any stain. It's cheap, and they list all their ingredients, but that's about all this brand has going for it IMO. I do like the quinoa though.

Iris
Old December 17th, 2006, 03:38 AM   #10
Kuchen

Eek! Dyed sand? Really? How do you know? ( question, but I can't work it out)