The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards

Go Back   The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards > Discussion Forums > The "Mane" Forum
The "Mane" Forum This is where you'll find the community members talking about the latest and greatest in hair. Discuss everything hair here!

Main Menu

hair styles The Community
hair care Home
prom hair Articles
long hair styles Product Reviews
long hair care Boutique
long hair prom styles Forums
hair styles Memberlist
hair care Chat Room
prom hair styles Calendar
long hair style FAQ
long hair care Contribute!

growing long hair Contact zone
long hair care products Staff
long hair gallery Contact Us
long hair updo Advertising

Archives

User Name:

Password:

Remember Me?
Not a member yet?
Register Now!

Old December 4th, 2006, 03:30 PM   #1
jissy
Long Hair Admirer

Type: 1b/1c//
Trader Rating: 0

Seborrheic Dermatitis

Hi girls, I just got back from the dr. today. I have had a very bad itchy dry scalp for many years. Winter is worst but now summers are bad as well. Flaky and so itchy that it could drive you mad. I have eczema in my ears, hands and scalp. I try to keep moisturized so that hands and body are ok. But my ears are always bad and my scalp is too and I never use a dandruff shampoo. I wash my hair about once a week now, brush it out and keep it up due to 4 kids. I dont have time to brush the oil down and i dont have time to not wash it with shampoo. My dh did that and he hasnt used shampoo for a long time now. ONly rinses and it looks great. He takes the time to brush the oils down. But i dont have that time so i wash /condition once a week with VO5 shampoo or Suave, I get the ones that dont have silicone in them.

Well dr. wants me to use this prescription shampoo 2times a week. its call Nizonal 2%. I dont know any shampoos for eczema or anything scalp related. I do want to know if any of you have had this problem with itchiness (due to eczema) and what you have done for it. I would rather do a natural thing than RX. Any info would be great appreciated.
Old December 4th, 2006, 05:11 PM   #2
Flaxen

Length: 26"/33.5"/39.5"
Type: 2b/F/ii
Trader Rating: 19

Re: Seborrheic Dermatitis

I would try an ACV(apple cider vinegar) rinse. You might need a stronger one than usual, but start out with 1 Tablespoon in 1 cup of water, and use it as your final rinse. Let it sit a couple of minutes, then rinse. I don't think I'd go stronger than 1/4 cup ACV in one cup water.

Some grocery stores have ACV, but I'd try the health food store where they have it with the "mother" in it. One brand is Bragg.

oil: Japanese camellia
shampoo: Earthly Delight
leave-in: Shea It Ain't So
treatments: cassia; Phytologie Phytomoelle

avatar: Una and the Lion ~Briton Rivière
Old December 4th, 2006, 08:19 PM   #3
EgyptianQueen
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 22.5/25.8/32
Type: 1a/F/M/ii

Try pure Tea Tree oil, it is amazing in stopping the itch, reducing inflammation, stimulate hair growth and killing mites, fungus or the like that could cause nasty skin problems. I believe Nizonal is a antiandrogen and anti-fungal shampoo.

My scalp is ok with 100% TTO straight from the bottle, I put around 5 drops all over my scalp every day when it is itchy and flaky, and it solved both problems within days. It even reduced oil production, to me, that is a big plus. If you have sensitive skin, you might want to dilute it a bit with jojoba oil or something that won't clog pore.
Old December 5th, 2006, 07:53 AM   #4
Sally
Long Hair Guru

Length: 23.5/32/35
Type: 2c/M/i/ii
Trader Rating: 6

Nizoral is good. Only use it on the scalp, not hte length. .... Excuse my nosiness, but how come your dh has time to groom his hair but you don't? Let us know if you need the whoop-ass posse to come out there....
Old December 5th, 2006, 08:33 AM   #5
Caldonia Sun
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 3 in./20.5/BSL
Type: 1b/M/ii
Trader Rating: 1

I was diagnosed with SD, but I'm suspicious as to whether it is correct.

Anyway, ACV and Nizoral burned and reddened my scalp too much and I didn't want to continue precription meds, so I used a few drops of tea tree oil mixed with a little water as a pre-rinse before shampooing. I would let it sit on my head for about 15 minutes, then wash. It really cleared things up for me. I have a little itching and flaking sometimes, but it is an insignificant amount.

Also went to a sulfate-free, very mild shampoo.
Old December 5th, 2006, 09:32 AM   #6
JlyGrnMigt
Long Hair Admirer

Length: ??/30/40
Type: 2a/F/M/ii

I used Nizoral as a teenager and it helped at first but was ineffective after a while. I think I may have been using it every day though...

I am trying out a no-wash/occasional WO wash to get rid of mine. My biggest problem spot is right at the front of my head...it's a giant flake about the size of a quarter right on my part. My temples get pretty bad too. I've tried the tea tree, the jojoba, the coconut, the ACV, the white vinegar...still looking for a real solution.

This is an ongoing problem for me, so I am interested to see how the shampoo works for you. I'm going to pick up some hydrocortizone for the eczema on my back too, and am thinking about rubbing some into my scalp on those spots.