The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards

Go Back   The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards > Discussion Forums > The "Mane" Forum
The "Mane" Forum This is where you'll find the community members talking about the latest and greatest in hair. Discuss everything hair here!

Main Menu

hair styles The Community
hair care Home
prom hair Articles
long hair styles Product Reviews
long hair care Boutique
long hair prom styles Forums
hair styles Memberlist
hair care Chat Room
prom hair styles Calendar
long hair style FAQ
long hair care Contribute!

growing long hair Contact zone
long hair care products Staff
long hair gallery Contact Us
long hair updo Advertising

Archives

User Name:

Password:

Remember Me?
Not a member yet?
Register Now!

Old November 14th, 2006, 07:46 PM   #1
EgyptianQueen
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 22.5/25.8/32
Type: 1a/F/M/ii
Trader Rating: 0

Hair thickness from type ii to iii

Anyone has successfully increase their hair thickness from type ii to iii? What did you do to achieve that? I want to have thicker hair, any suggestions on what I can do? Thanks.
Old November 14th, 2006, 08:02 PM   #2
Emichiee
Long Hair Guru

Length: 20/30/35.5/trim
Type: 1a/M/ii
Trader Rating: 6

Re: Hair thickness from type ii to iii

I went from a 4.1 inch ponytail to a 3.5 inch one due to a heavy shed when being sick.
If you have more thickness naturally and its just not showing its full potential, a healthy diet, careful handling and maybe some hair vitamins can help.

Otherwise I believe theres nothing you can do to change your hairs overall thickness.

If youre an ii thats medium and good.

WELCOME HOME !

Photo Journal
Old November 14th, 2006, 09:49 PM   #3
Isis833
Long Hair Devotee

Length: SHDL/MBL+/??
Type: 4b/C/iii

My hair thickened considerably after juicing and drinking 100% carrot juice (only 2 ounces daily is needed) and eliminating all heat on my hair. I started a carrot juice challenge on another hair board (LHCF) a couple of years ago and many of the ladies have successfully thickened their hair with it.

I've heard that taking vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) will thicken the hair also (carrot juice naturally has B5).

About to go on her hike...
Old November 14th, 2006, 11:21 PM   #4
golden_gal
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 24"/21.5"/30++
Type: 1b/F/M/ii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isis833
My hair thickened considerably after juicing and drinking 100% carrot juice (only 2 ounces daily is needed) and eliminating all heat on my hair. I started a carrot juice challenge on another hair board (LHCF) a couple of years ago and many of the ladies have successfully thickened their hair with it.

I've heard that taking vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) will thicken the hair also (carrot juice naturally has B5).
Wow.... how long did that take you?
Old November 14th, 2006, 11:30 PM   #5
jel
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 20/30/tb
Type: 1c/F/M/ii
Trader Rating: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isis833
My hair thickened considerably after juicing and drinking 100% carrot juice (only 2 ounces daily is needed) and eliminating all heat on my hair.

Isis833, do you juice the carrots yourself? If so, how many are needed for 2 oz of juice? I'd rather actually eat the carrots so I get the fibre too.

EgyptianQueen, a good diet is important - enough protein, healthy fats and vitamins to allow hair to grow to its full potential. I also recommend henna, as I understand it the colour molecules actually bind to the hair shaft, making it thicker. I have been hennaing for over a year and my hair has definitely thickened up (need to update my siggy) to bang in the middle of ii and M.

December 2006 ** 1c - F/M - ii ** Chronicles of Jel...
Old November 15th, 2006, 12:58 AM   #6
ChicO
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 20/60 cm/Waist

I just came back from our local Healthstore. There i picked up (besides some hairoil) a tract, because it said on the cover: Demonstrable thicker hair with Silicon.

According to a study of an university in Hamburg, the take in of silicon gel improves the thickness of fine hair up to 13 % within 6 months.

Well, i think its worth a try. For those in Germany:
They tested with "Original Silicea Balsam" (Reformhaus)

But nevertheless, I totally agree with what emichiee said, it's all about your potential and what your genes will at maximum allow. But since I lost so much hair due to wrong treatment, i hope to grow back the best possible hair!

Your hair is like a drove of goats that have hopped down from the mountainous region of Gilead. (Song of Solomon 4:1)
Old November 15th, 2006, 04:03 AM   #7
forty-two
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 30/54/term
Type: 1b/F/ii

I started with a 4" ponytail and increased it to 4.5" when I was taking GNC NourishHair vitamins, MSM (1000mg), flax seed oil (1000mg), and evening primrose oil (500mg). I also switched to natural hair products around the same time. I then dropped all the way down to a 3" ponytail during a two year period of a truly horrid diet and serious hair neglect. Switching to WO and a moderately improved diet over the past 18 months has led to my regaining a 4" ponytail. Taking excellent care of yourself can help maximize your thickness potential (and is good for your overall health, of course ), but you are still working within genetic limits.

ETA: I also took Biotin as part of my vitamin regime - I think it was 5mg, but that seems like a lot.

Life, the Universe, and Everything...Hair Related

1b F ii
Bottom-of-kneecap length - I finally achieved knee length!

I've been doing a modified WO routine (with some CO cheating) since 02.11.05 - see the first post in my journal for specifics.

Intermediate Goal: Upper calf length
Long-Term Goal: Terminal length
Old November 15th, 2006, 05:27 AM   #8
ChicO
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 20/60 cm/Waist

I also take in 5 mg Biotin - double dosis even, because of shedding.

I use to take MSM, but it seems that i became very depressed from it. I wonder whether this is a common side effect of MSM.
Currently I do not dare to start taking it again, because I'm not in the best mood. Maybe later on in Spring.

Your hair is like a drove of goats that have hopped down from the mountainous region of Gilead. (Song of Solomon 4:1)
Old November 15th, 2006, 09:53 AM   #9
SpecialKitty
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 16 "/22"/35 "
Type: 2a/F/ii
Trader Rating: 2

I am increasing my ponytail circumference by using Evening Primrose Oil supplements (I had a lot of thinning due to mild hypothyroidism, which EPO addresses naturally), and also using Cassia Obovata (neutral henna) along with eliminating heat styling and better hair care in general. I'm not up to 4" (yet), but I've gone from 3" to 3.75" :pinkgrin:

ETA: Of course, the downside of increasing hair production is the halo effect - which in my case is substantial due to my wavy hair. But, hey, I can live with a halo if it means thicker longer hair in the long run!
Old November 15th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #10
EgyptianQueen
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 22.5/25.8/32
Type: 1a/F/M/ii

Thanks ladies, so I guess it IS possible to increase hair thickness as much as an inch or so, though needs a lot of effort, diet, supplement and care handling...etc.

Specialkitty, how long did it take you to go from 3" to 3.75"? Was EPO is only thing that you think mainly contributed to the growth?
Old November 15th, 2006, 02:23 PM   #11
MadHatter
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 19/30/Waist
Type: 1b/F/M/ii/iii

Oooo, lots of great tips to try out..

Before and after Henna (3 treatments, no camera flash)
Old November 15th, 2006, 02:27 PM   #12
Stagecoach
Long Hair Devotee

Length: BSL/44"/60"
Type: 1b/M/ii

Oh wow! I thought there was no chance of me ever recovering the 3/4 in. I lost! We have a jucier so maybe I'll start juicing some carrots every day.
And I had no idea that EPO helps with hairloss! I've just started taking it for other reasons so I'll definetly be keeping my eye out for new growth!
[Jesus Christ], that whosoever believth on him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

Old November 15th, 2006, 04:42 PM   #13
rainy sunday
Long Hair Devotee

Type: 1c/2a/M/C/ii

Wow, great topic Egyptian Queen! Thanks everyone for posting your tips.
Old November 15th, 2006, 05:08 PM   #14
Mrar34
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 24"/26.5"/30"
Type: 1c/M/C/ii

Since coming to LHC I think my hair has started to increase in thickness, although it has not been long enough to notice a difference in my ponytail, my roots have definately started thickening up. I think my general care routine has helped with this (henna, less shampoo, vitamins, etc etc) but I also think that scalp massages have helped out my growth and thickness very much. Once or twice a day I'll put 4-6 drops of rosemary EO on my hands and do a scalp massage using Snowy's hair massage technique, which also is a wonder at distributing oil, shine, and moisture, and I'm often able to postpone a wash by days using these. Scalp massages increase circulation to the scalp and can increase growth, thickness, and strength. It's also great to feel fuzzy spots where new hairs are growing in!

Hair Journal Photos
Old November 16th, 2006, 01:17 PM   #15
kimo
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 17"/25"/waist
Type: 1c/F/ii/iii

In one year mine has gone from 3" to 3.75". (I've measured a million times to make sure.) I attribute it to keeping it out of the sun or in a pony during the summer. You see, I tend to let my hair loose and each summer it bleaches out. I used to like that, but it leads to damaged hair. Nowadays, it's darker but I don't mind. I kinda like it.

When I lose hairs now, I notice they're dark and thicker on the top half, and thin and blonder, nearly translucent, on the bottom half. Strange, huh?

The only other thing I can think of is that I don't use -cones or anything like that. I've gone pretty natural.