The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards

Go Back   The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards > Discussion Forums > The "Mane" Forum
The "Mane" Forum This is where you'll find the community members talking about the latest and greatest in hair. Discuss everything hair here!

Main Menu

hair styles The Community
hair care Home
prom hair Articles
long hair styles Product Reviews
long hair care Boutique
long hair prom styles Forums
hair styles Memberlist
hair care Chat Room
prom hair styles Calendar
long hair style FAQ
long hair care Contribute!

growing long hair Contact zone
long hair care products Staff
long hair gallery Contact Us
long hair updo Advertising

Archives

User Name:

Password:

Remember Me?
Not a member yet?
Register Now!

Old September 29th, 2006, 04:47 AM   #1
smara
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 19/26/Waist
Type: 2a/2b/F/i
Trader Rating: 0

Unhappy how to hide bald spots

Friends,
Couple of hours ago, I went to my aunt's salon to get an oil massage (I have them once a week). She told me that her daughter, a perfectly sweet kid aged 12, was watching me from the third floor (we live in adjacent multistoried buildings) and she could see the bald spot on the left side of my head.

Seems, she went like, "What the...???"

This really sucks. I wasn't born with the bald spot, it just suddenly (I think) appeared 6 months back. I had major hair loss in the past one year due to kidney stones, and I think that could be the reason... but then, I've never really looked after my hair well before I found LHC in May '06.

And I'm really glad I did. Thanks to this wonderful community and ayurvedic care, my hair is so much better now - the length, that is. It's lot more wavier now due to COing, I'm thinking of changing my type to 2b. It appears glossy, thicker (people are commenting on it) and grew 6 inches in 4 months. But the crown part is entirely another issue.

The problem spot is not totally shiny bald; there's just a very few hairs there (a vertical 2-inch long line, like a slit). However I style my hair, it's just not possible to entirely hide it and my hair just kind of "parts" there.

How does one effectively cover a bald spot... and can hair grow again on a bald spot? Any herbs, serums?

I'm just about ready to give up . Anybody in the same boat, pls advice me...

R

Last edited by smara : September 29th, 2006 at 06:42 AM. Reason: typos
Old September 29th, 2006, 05:03 AM   #2
windswept
Long Hair Devotee

Length: bob/25.8/tb
Type: 2c/3a/F/M/ii
Trader Rating: 2

Re: how to hide bald spots

smara, I don't have any useful advice, I just wanted to say that I'm sending you and also ......I'm sure somebody will be along soon with some ideas that could help.

I'm sure now that you've found LHC you'll find lots of ideas and things to try that will help. I'm thinking of you.

~windswept~

A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
- Strictly Ballroom

Old September 29th, 2006, 05:59 AM   #3
redbark
Long Hair Devotee

Type: 2a/2b/F/M/i

Smara,

Check out toppik and dermatch at folica.com

You will be beyond amazed at what these 2 combined can do for a little balding patch - I promise.
Old September 29th, 2006, 06:29 AM   #4
ACEerCP
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 12/17.25/BSL+
Type: 1c/2a/C/i

I have two of these stinkin' things on either side of my crown. I've been battling them with Rogaine and emu/Sweet Success Oil mixes but truthfully, haven't seen many results I feel your pain. I forget about them from time to time but seeing them in the mirror makes reality come crashing back. For now I am keeping up the oilings/Rogaine, and brushing my hair over the part or otherwise making sure I achieve maximum volume there. If I DO blow dry (rarity anymore) I lift that section with a round thermal brush and also make some brush passes with my head upside-down.

I've heard of Toppik as last mentioned, and yeah, a product like that might be a good idea if it's really bothering you. There are several powder-sprays out that just fill in your scalp with a little color that can be washed out. I'm just trying to fix the problems at the moment so I haven't used them.

Not sure what caused mine but it went hand in hand with my huge hairloss when I was anorexic. ONE patch through is from a cat JUMPING FROM THE FLOOR ONTO MY HEAD and ripping out some scalp! It's never been the same since there!

Hugs!
*Going low-product - no leave-ins or styling aids for curls!
*Henna relaxed my curls to a 2a (a good yet a bad thing)
*Regular scalp oilings with jojoba, rosemary, Mane n Tail Groom, Rogaine, Sweet Success, emu, and various others
*MSM - 2-6,000 mg a day - Lugol's iodine, what a lifesaver!

~*~*311 UNITY!*~*~
Old September 29th, 2006, 06:44 AM   #5
smara
Long Hair Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by windswept
smara, I don't have any useful advice, I just wanted to say that I'm sending you and also ......I'm sure somebody will be along soon with some ideas that could help.

I'm sure now that you've found LHC you'll find lots of ideas and things to try that will help. I'm thinking of you.

~windswept~

Thank you, pal for those kind words. It's so good to get a group hug ! I really can't lament about this to my paren ts because they're really scared of hair-obsessed me these days .
Old September 29th, 2006, 06:46 AM   #6
smara
Long Hair Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbark
Smara,

Check out toppik and dermatch at folica.com

You will be beyond amazed at what these 2 combined can do for a little balding patch - I promise.

Thank you, redbark . I'll visit Folica.com right away, though I'm not sure if they have international shipping.

If not, I'll just look for them in my city pharmacies
Old September 29th, 2006, 06:47 AM   #7
Peggy E.
Long Hair Guru

Length: ?/38"/Stops
Type: 2b/2c/M/ii
Trader Rating: 88

A cat ripped out your scalp??? What an evil cat!!! :o(

Anorexia is definitely an issue with hair loss. When your body is not getting the proper nutrition, it leeches all it can from "non-essential" organs to keep the essential organs - heart, brain - functioning.

With a proper diet and care, you should regrow the hair lost due to your anorexic period. Your body has gone through a lot, but your newfound healthy attitude will support you as you regain your well-being and confidence.

As for the cat's scalping, what you have now is a scar and I don't believe hair will grow in a scar?

When you have long hair, bald spots tend to be more visible - if not to the world, they are to US. Wish I had some stirling recommendations, but, in fact, could use some myself!

And Now on Artisan Street:
http://tinyurl.com/ydcq3p

Old September 29th, 2006, 06:54 AM   #8
Kleis
Long Hair Guru

Length: 37/48/50
Type: 2a/F/M/iii
Trader Rating: 9

To answer the camoflauge question (as opposed to treatment), I blended shades of eyeshadow into my scalp to hide my bald spots when I had outbreaks of alopecia areata. I have dark hair and used black shadow, so it worked really well. I don't know if this technique would be as effective with lighter hair, but you might give it a try. (If you have lighter hair, that is.)

Flower Photos of the Month
Old September 29th, 2006, 06:57 AM   #9
smara
Long Hair Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEerCP
I have two of these stinkin' things on either side of my crown. I've been battling them with Rogaine and emu/Sweet Success Oil mixes but truthfully, haven't seen many results I feel your pain. I forget about them from time to time but seeing them in the mirror makes reality come crashing back. For now I am keeping up the oilings/Rogaine, and brushing my hair over the part or otherwise making sure I achieve maximum volume there. If I DO blow dry (rarity anymore) I lift that section with a round thermal brush and also make some brush passes with my head upside-down.

I've heard of Toppik as last mentioned, and yeah, a product like that might be a good idea if it's really bothering you. There are several powder-sprays out that just fill in your scalp with a little color that can be washed out. I'm just trying to fix the problems at the moment so I haven't used them.

Not sure what caused mine but it went hand in hand with my huge hairloss when I was anorexic. ONE patch through is from a cat JUMPING FROM THE FLOOR ONTO MY HEAD and ripping out some scalp! It's never been the same since there!

Hugs!

ACEerCP, that cat story is just plain awful . I hope it didn't pain too much!

And I too have two bald spots on the front of the my crown (sides), as well but I'm not bothered by it - most of the time, anyway! - because I part my hair in the middle and it's so easy to "camouflage" them. But when you have a spot on the top of your crown, then grrr, nothing works.

I think, at this stage and as a temporary solution, blow-drying is the only method to "hide" my bald spot

Somebody told me that mixing white pepper and powdered lemon seeds with a few drops of onion juice is good for female bald spots... but know what, I'm SO not enthusiastic about applying onion on my scalp

Oh well. I guess (hope! insist! demand!) we thin-haired folks with bald spots get to enjoy a special type of heaven. Here's a hug to ourselves !!
Old September 29th, 2006, 07:03 AM   #10
smara
Long Hair Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleis
To answer the camoflauge question (as opposed to treatment), I blended shades of eyeshadow into my scalp to hide my bald spots when I had outbreaks of alopecia areata. I have dark hair and used black shadow, so it worked really well. I don't know if this technique would be as effective with lighter hair, but you might give it a try. (If you have lighter hair, that is.)

Kleis, that's a cool suggestion! Thank you so much

In fact, I often think that the reason henna makes hair (esp. thin hair) appear "thicker" is because it kinda dyes the scalp a rarely-there brown. My scalp cerainly looks kinda orangish after applying henna.... guess the henna seeps into the scalp when applied.

Old September 29th, 2006, 07:29 AM   #11
Celogrl
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 19.5"/24"/50"
Type: 1b/F/i/ii
Trader Rating: 6

I feel for you too. My hair is quite thin up on top but if I remember to use scalp massage and my horncombs it seems to stimulate my scalp and helps some. It will never be thick, though. Jessie58 has a wonderful oil recipe I love to use, and it is posted here. For women, it seems like it's a given that our hair will always be luxuriant, and it's such a letdown when it isn't for some of us. *sad*

Old September 29th, 2006, 08:36 AM   #12
SchnauzerMom
Long Hair Guru

Length: 16 in/16 in/BSL
Type: 1a/1b/F/i/ii

I don't have bald spots but I definitely have spots where the hair is a lot thinner on either side of my head towards the front. In my case I think it's genetic because my mother and grandmother had the same problem. That's one of the reason I have bangs they cover it up somewhat.

Starting Over, May 2007
Old October 1st, 2006, 12:21 AM   #13
smara
Long Hair Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celogrl
I feel for you too. My hair is quite thin up on top but if I remember to use scalp massage and my horncombs it seems to stimulate my scalp and helps some. It will never be thick, though. Jessie58 has a wonderful oil recipe I love to use, and it is posted here. For women, it seems like it's a given that our hair will always be luxuriant, and it's such a letdown when it isn't for some of us. *sad*

Hi Celogrl,
Scalp massages are a god-send, aren't they. I love them! I'm trying this new protein herbal pack that's good for bald spots, it has bhringraj and amla in it. Hopefully I get to see some good results, I don't even mind if it takes time... just wish I can leave my hair down without that bal spot showing thru!

Thanks for replying!
Old October 1st, 2006, 12:26 AM   #14
smara
Long Hair Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnauzerMom
I don't have bald spots but I definitely have spots where the hair is a lot thinner on either side of my head towards the front. In my case I think it's genetic because my mother and grandmother had the same problem. That's one of the reason I have bangs they cover it up somewhat.

I have them too, SchnauzerMom. They're easier to hide, yep.

And hey, I love your french braid! It's an inspiration... I thght f/i types won't make a cool F.B.! I'm off to braid it on my hair...

Last edited by smara : October 1st, 2006 at 12:35 AM.