The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards

Go Back   The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards > Discussion Forums > The "Mane" Forum
The "Mane" Forum This is where you'll find the community members talking about the latest and greatest in hair. Discuss everything hair here!

Main Menu

hair styles The Community
hair care Home
prom hair Articles
long hair styles Product Reviews
long hair care Boutique
long hair prom styles Forums
hair styles Memberlist
hair care Chat Room
prom hair styles Calendar
long hair style FAQ
long hair care Contribute!

growing long hair Contact zone
long hair care products Staff
long hair gallery Contact Us
long hair updo Advertising

Archives

User Name:

Password:

Remember Me?
Not a member yet?
Register Now!

Old September 18th, 2006, 01:29 PM   #1
Nightshade
Long Hair Guru

Length: 23.5/33/36
Type: 1c/M/ii
Trader Rating: 34

OxyClean to get out dye???

So I was cleaning the shower this weekend, which by now the plastic base has been stained a lovely golden orange color from the henna and turmeric I use. Nothing takes it out, not bleach, not scrubbing bubbles, nothing. Zilch.

At the dollar store I found a package of 3 samples of Oxyclean, so I picked them to to try it on some staines on fabric. Now I had heard that it will attack "natural" stains, grass, mud, blood, etc, and on the back of the package it said that it was also a stain treatment on countertops.

Well be damned if that oxyclean in some hot water didn't take the henna and turmeric out of the shower! Which makes me wonder if it couldn't be used to pull unwanted dye out of hair... I haven't tried it yet, but it's an interesting idea. Any thoughts? I know ColorFix works great on dyed hair, but doesn't put much of a dent in henna and indigo.

Am I nuts or perhaps onto something? Before anyone rushes off to test this, please don't do it on your head! Use a strand test if anything.
Old September 18th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #2
justgreen
Long Hair Guru

Length: 17"/hip/bc
Type: 1b/1c/M/iii
Trader Rating: 25

Re: OxyClean to get out dye???

I have a white shirt with red white and blue velvet letters that spell out USA on it. I spilled about 32 ounces of TEA on it during last vacation while visiting my father. Got to the hotel that night and thru it in the dirty clothes bag. Three days later we get to Cyk's folks' house and I'm doing laundry and I just start to throw the tee shirt away. Cyk's mom grabs it and says she loves a challenge. Now remember, it's got velvet letters on it in red and navy blue. She took a large glass bowl and put about 3 or 4 tablespoons of oxy in it with boiling hot water from the stove. She dunked the WHOLE shirt in it and swirled it around for about 2 minutes with a big wooden spoon. The tea came out and the velvet letters did not fade one bit.

So, I'm not too sure it would take dye out....but I agree, a strand test wouldn't hurt!

Lady Emeralde Justyce
in the
Order of the Long Haired Knights

CallieMothraAngel
Old September 18th, 2006, 02:36 PM   #3
SugarLime
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 15/24/BSL
Type: 2b/2c/F/ii
Trader Rating: 0

I thought Oxy-Clean forms hydrogen peroxide when dissolved in hot water. Not sure I'd like to use that on my hair but I guess it could work. Would it bleach your hair of it's natural colour too ?

....... sunny day.................. cloudy day......
Old September 18th, 2006, 02:37 PM   #4
talullah
Long Hair Guru

Length: ??/25/waist
Type: 2a/F/iii

Girl, where were you when I had a turmericking-gone-wrong two weeks ago? I seriously would have tried this. My ends looked like curry. I dyed over it and fixed it though, so it's all good
Old September 18th, 2006, 03:33 PM   #5
Nightshade
Long Hair Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by talullah
Girl, where were you when I had a turmericking-gone-wrong two weeks ago? I seriously would have tried this. My ends looked like curry. I dyed over it and fixed it though, so it's all good

Gah! I'm glad I wasn't in time :S I wouldn't have wanted you to soak your head in OxyClean on my crackpot idea!
Old September 18th, 2006, 04:12 PM   #6
iris
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 20/24/30
Type: 2c/M/ii/iii
Trader Rating: 12

I have some henna stains on a piece of woolen carpet I use for a doormat... and I tried OxyClean on them. It's a foamy version of OxyClean, specifically for use on carpets. I tried it a number of times, and while it does fade the stains a bit each time I try it, it does not take them out completely.

I just found some trimmed hair that I kept for testing purposes, I'll put some of the stuff on and report back . I'm not expecting too much from it though.

Iris
Old September 18th, 2006, 05:46 PM   #7
Nightshade
Long Hair Guru

COOL! I need to run back to the dollar store (they have HUGE octopus clips and my friend wants some) so I might pick up some more oxyclean and test my hair as well. Whenever I need non critical test strands I just grab a knife and cut some out of the vacuum.
Old September 18th, 2006, 06:26 PM   #8
talullah
Long Hair Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade
Gah! I'm glad I wasn't in time :S I wouldn't have wanted you to soak your head in OxyClean on my crackpot idea!

It probably would have made my hair even MORE yellow, anyways. Half the things I do are crackpot ideas, it's pretty much the way I operate But I'm thinking I should pick some of this stuff up as I've gotten a nasty tea stain on my mother's nice countertop (oops).
Old September 18th, 2006, 06:46 PM   #9
Darian Moone
Long Hair Guru

Length: 20/30/35Hip
Type: 1b/M/C/ii
Trader Rating: 1

[quote=talullah] Half the things I do are crackpot ideas, it's pretty much the way I operate QUOTE]

You're not a crackpot - you're creative and imaginative. It's all in how you look at it!

~ ~ ~ 4-28-06 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 3-31-07 ~ ~
Lady Daeryane Moone of the Silken Sunshine
in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
Old September 18th, 2006, 07:17 PM   #10
berr
Long Hair Devotee

Length: ??/36/??
Type: 1b/M/ii

Oxy-clean.. works on tarnished silver? in the dishwasher. I didn't try good silver. I have some old... really old soup spoons that aren't in a set. They are good for... SOUP. lol It didn't do as well for the copper bottomed pans, but it did make a difference. Please don't throw your good silver in there and yell at me.
Old September 18th, 2006, 08:01 PM   #11
HerbalAnnie
Long Hair Guru

Length: 18"/22.5"/Term
Type: 2b/2c/M/ii
Trader Rating: 1

I mixed about 1/2 tsp OxyClean in 1 cup hot tap water and dipped a litmus strip into it. It came out blue, about ph10, but then resolved to ph7 after about a minute. Maybe someone knows why?

Oxy works great on pots and pans that have baked/cooked on food. I have stainless steel cookware that I'm forever fusing something to... I run the pan full of hot water, sprinke with Oxy Clean to cover the food gunk, and let it sit over night. Next day it practically wipes right out. Use caution on cast iron. It'll take off the seasoning.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
- Albert Einstein -

Old September 19th, 2006, 02:55 AM   #12
iris
Long Hair Devotee

OK, so here are the results:

I left the hair in for about 7 hours. Hair was coloured with just years of henna. It is definately lighter now. About 2 shades. And it has picked up some orange tones, - there's quite a bit of yellow there.

The colour reminds me of the colour I got the first two times I hennaed (with not-too-great quality boxed henna). Orangey light brown. Brings back BAD memories (oh boy that colour looked hideous on me).

It's impossible for me to tell whether it's just the henna that got taken out, or if the oxy stuff bleached out some of the underlying hair colour as well. Condition looks about the same to me, but of course these were ends that I trimmed and I trimmed them for a reason . In other words, the sample was dry before and it's dry now.

Anybody else want to continue the experiment? I think I've seen enough . I don't think it would be very practical anyway - for actual use on hair we'd have to think of a way to keep it off the scalp.

Iris
Old September 19th, 2006, 05:00 AM   #13
talullah
Long Hair Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris

It's impossible for me to tell whether it's just the henna that got taken out, or if the oxy stuff bleached out some of the underlying hair colour as well.

Yeah, I don't know how we could tell if it's just bleaching or actually removing the dye. SugarLime says it forms hydrogen peroxide, Justgreen says it didn't bleach the colors on her shirt. I'm confused If I ever get around to buying some OxyClean, I'll do some of my own experiments (I have GOT to find a mad scientist smiley!)
Old September 19th, 2006, 05:50 AM   #14
Beldaran
Long Hair Devotee

Length: ??/32/39ish
Type: 2a/M/C/ii/iii
Trader Rating: 5

Hydrogen peroxide shouldn't 'bleach' clothes. I use it to take blood out of.. things.. quite often, and there is no bleaching on the dye. Oxyclean does form something similar to HP, and I know if you get it on your skin and leave it there, it's quite nasty. So I know you shouldn't get it on your scalp, but I'm wondering how hair stands up to whatever chemical reaction is going on. It may be out there on the internet already somewhere.
Which wolf will win the fight in my heart? The one I feed.

Old September 19th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #15
iris
Long Hair Devotee

Hydrogen peroxide does bleach hair (sun-in). It needs heat to work though. Sun works best, blow-dryer helps to some extent, but not as well as being in the sun.

A weird property of HP on hair is that it can start working months later. When I was a teenager, I used HP to make blonde streaks. If I did this in winter, I'd only get a very small amount of bleaching with the blow-dryer. But then, MONTHS later, go into the sun and BOOM, those same streaks would bleach all the way to white in no time. While they hadn't been in contact with HP for months. Weirdness! I never did understand how that worked.

Iris