The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards

Go Back   The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards > Discussion Forums > The "Mane" Forum
The "Mane" Forum This is where you'll find the community members talking about the latest and greatest in hair. Discuss everything hair here!

Main Menu

hair styles The Community
hair care Home
prom hair Articles
long hair styles Product Reviews
long hair care Boutique
long hair prom styles Forums
hair styles Memberlist
hair care Chat Room
prom hair styles Calendar
long hair style FAQ
long hair care Contribute!

growing long hair Contact zone
long hair care products Staff
long hair gallery Contact Us
long hair updo Advertising

Archives

User Name:

Password:

Remember Me?
Not a member yet?
Register Now!

Old May 14th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #1
Kate1975
Long Hair Admirer

Length: 9/9/18
Trader Rating: 0

Smile How to get copper red hair to blonde??

I have naturaly dark blonde hair but i have dyed my hair red for 11 years now but I resently cut it from waist length to shoulder length . In hope to dye it back to blonde but i want a really light blonde color. How do I get the red out. I want to do this over a 6 week time period. Help!!!!!
Old May 14th, 2006, 04:27 PM   #2
Shermie Girl
Long Hair Guru

Length: 13/27.75/30
Type: 2a/M/ii
Trader Rating: 11

Re: How to get copper red hair to blonde??

The only way to get you back to a light blonde is to use a colour remover, which is a very harsh bleaching process. Afterwards, you can put a blonde colour on it.
Be aware, red is very difficult to remove and the stress may be too much for your hair. It could end up very damaged. And that is not condusive to growing long, beautiful hair. Nor is the regular bleaching you will have to undergo to keep up a very light blonde colour.

If you really want to do this, I asvise you to see a professional. Doing this at home can be a devistating experience, as I once learned the hard way.

Good luck with your hair, whatever you decide to do. I hope it comes out looking and feeling as beautiful as you want it to.
Old May 14th, 2006, 05:25 PM   #3
shawngal
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 15/18/34
Type: 3a/3b/F/iii
Trader Rating: 19

As someone who went from naturally red to platnium blonde and back again, I can tell you it's a hard and harsh process. In order to remove the red, you will have to bleach the hair. Since red is one of the hardest colors to remove, you will have to sit there with the color removing solution on your hair for a LONG time. And since you are looking to remove a dyed red, the results may be unpredictable at best. And even if you do have success at removing all the red and redying it blonde, you will have damage that will have to be repaired and you will have to baby your hair indefinitely. Even after I gave up being blonde and went back to red, it took me about two years to repair all the damage the bleach did.
Old May 15th, 2006, 06:54 AM   #4
Nightshade
Long Hair Guru

Length: 23.5/33/36
Type: 1c/M/ii
Trader Rating: 34

*paging Sian100 to the thread, paging Sian100*

As the other posters here said, you're going to have to belach it, and it's going to be hard on your hair. I did have some luck pulling some old red dye out of my hair with Colorfix, and I didn't use the third step, the bleach. In this thread I posted some pictures of my results. I'd mixed the first two solutions together, slatered it on the test samples, and left it on for an hour (the box reccomends 15-20 mins). After an hour almost all the red was gone, elaving just the dyed blonde underneath. Boxed dyes remove your natural color, and then apply a second color over the top.

Although the box warns that without using the third step (the peroxide solution) your hair can darken again. My test strand test never darkened back up, and it was YEARS of permanent red and black chemical dye. It removed all the color, even the red, and just left the bleached blonde underneath.

It couldn't hurt to try something less-damaging before you go for the bleach. You may need several applications to get it all out, but it may be worth it in the long run for the health of your hair.
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #5
Sian100
Long Hair Guru

Length: 24/26.5/30
Type: 1a/F/ii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade
*paging Sian100 to the thread, paging Sian100*

Kate1975, I've been in exactly the same situation.

Red is a pain in the backside to get out of hair. I have naturally dark blonde hair, and when I was a teenager I dyed it red with several temporary and semi permanent hair colours. Months later, they still hadn't washed out completely.

I got the smart idea to lighten my hair with Sun In over the red- and it went orange. I then tried to dye over the mess with permanent brown and dark blonde colours which just washed out, though the orange was toned down to copper.

You can avoid these unnecessary steps and go blonde by going to the hairdressers and asking for a full head of highlights. That's what I did in the end and my hair has been highlighted for the last seven years now. It was the only thing that got rid of the red. Don't get foils; get either the cap or there's another method where the hairdresser brushes a lot of highlights through your hair. You want a lot of highlights.

Get the hairdresser to do a strand test first, and tell them what products you have used on your hair. The hairdresser I went to used a gentler lightening product with no ammonia.

All the really damaged hair has now grown out, but I had my hair at shoulder length for a while to get rid of it.

My hair was a more honey blonde or copper blonde colour than it is now when it was first done; it was still definitely blonde though.
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:49 AM   #6
justgreen
Long Hair Guru

Length: 17"/hip/bc
Type: 1b/1c/M/iii
Trader Rating: 25

I agree with the ideas of heavy highlights, but I disagree with the cap process. I had that done for several years and lost too much hair every time. I have my hair highlighted (lowlights once a year) done by a colorist and wouldn't dream of doing it any other way. I have ALOT of hair, especially closer to my scalp, as I have some layers very close to the hemline, making that area thinner. I get foils done and have never had a problem. I get my roots done about every 2-3 months. With highlights, your roots are less noticable.

You might put up a thread with Carolyn's name in the title, asking for her experience with having the red taken out and blonde put back in. I notice you do not have enough posts to read her private journal. I'm sure she probably would be glad to share her day at the colorist's and how wonderful it turned out.

Lady Emeralde Justyce
in the
Order of the Long Haired Knights

CallieMothraAngel
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #7
ReadingRenee
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 16 in/22 in/37 in
Type: 2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Just wanted to chime in as someone who bleached my hair to get the red out.

I really wish I hadn't. I went against my hairdressers recomendation to not do it and to just get highlights and I found someone who was willing to do whatever it took to get the red(mostly) out. I believe she bleached it 3 times in 5 hours...

Yeah my hair was FRIED>

I totally agree with the highiight recommend. I wish so much that I had done that instead. ahh well... learning experiences.
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:42 AM   #8
RepunzelGnome
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 14/30/40+
Type: 1c/2a/M/ii

Don't bleach. I bleached over red in high school and I got a weird clown-wig orange color, plus it damaged my hair beyond imagination.

If you want to go the slooooow and gradual (yet healthy) route, I've found that leaving olive oil on your hair over night, and frequent use of honey-heavy SMT will fade the bright bright red enough that you could dye over it with a milder dye than bleach. Then you'd be free to go the highlights route.
Goals: First tailbone, then classic. Here's hopin' for fairytale ends!

Repunzel's Photo Lair
Old May 15th, 2006, 01:40 PM   #9
Kate1975
Long Hair Admirer

Length: 9/9/18

Cool Re: How to get copper red hair to blonde??

Thanks for all the advice !! Everyone I wnet to a salon 5 years ago they prosessed my hair 4 times i was ther from 11:30am till 5PM ......My hair was fried.....so i got it cut had to go brown cuz it wouldn't hold red in anymore.....Then this year I got some foiling highlights they turned in 10 mins to the palest....... But the hairdressers around here are all freaky....My Mom and I streaked my hair last night it went blonde but i need to get the rest out.........so now I am sitting with Born Blonde Maxi on.......My roots will be platium i know *sigh* then in 2 weeks or a week we are gonna do my ends again if they don't fade........I really enjoyed my red for all those years......But it's time to get back to me LOL! So I don't trust salons at all I have always colored and cut my ouwn hair plus everyone elses around me........It's just this damm red in my hair that doesn't want to leave me........So I think i have tried everything........all products........I'll let ya know what happens i'm giving myself 6 weeks to go blonde. ( I have a wedding to go to ) Wish me luck!!
Old May 16th, 2006, 12:22 AM   #10
Sian100
Long Hair Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate1975
Thanks for all the advice !! Everyone I wnet to a salon 5 years ago they prosessed my hair 4 times i was ther from 11:30am till 5PM ......My hair was fried.....so i got it cut had to go brown cuz it wouldn't hold red in anymore.....Then this year I got some foiling highlights they turned in 10 mins to the palest....... But the hairdressers around here are all freaky....My Mom and I streaked my hair last night it went blonde but i need to get the rest out.........so now I am sitting with Born Blonde Maxi on.......My roots will be platium i know *sigh* then in 2 weeks or a week we are gonna do my ends again if they don't fade........I really enjoyed my red for all those years......But it's time to get back to me LOL! So I don't trust salons at all I have always colored and cut my ouwn hair plus everyone elses around me........It's just this damm red in my hair that doesn't want to leave me........So I think i have tried everything........all products........I'll let ya know what happens i'm giving myself 6 weeks to go blonde. ( I have a wedding to go to ) Wish me luck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgreen
I agree with the ideas of heavy highlights, but I disagree with the cap process. I had that done for several years and lost too much hair every time.

I was going to agree with you about the cap being rougher on your hair, Justgreen, but after reading Kate's last post I get the impression that she doesn't really worry about being harsh to her hair despite what everyone on this thread has said.

It looks like she had made up her mind as to what she would do before she asked for advice anyway.
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:51 AM   #11
Lois
Long Hair Devotee

Type: 3b/M/ii

oh wow, I did this in early college. I had my hair dark red for years, and my natural color is a dark blonde/light golden brown. I had it bleached 2 or 3 times, and it still wasn't my natural color. so I grew that out, then got highlights in the new growth, but in the end I just had to cut it all off. I did one major cut a few years ago to chin length, and then a few 2-4 inches a year after that to get all the highlights out. I didn't cut out the last highlight until about 2 years after the ordeal.

I would never color again personally.

The process I used worked, but took time (years). I could have waist-length hair by now! Oh well, live and learn.
Old May 16th, 2006, 10:09 AM   #12
justgreen
Long Hair Guru

Length: 17"/hip/bc
Type: 1b/1c/M/iii
Trader Rating: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sian100
I was going to agree with you about the cap being rougher on your hair, Justgreen, but after reading Kate's last post I get the impression that she doesn't really worry about being harsh to her hair despite what everyone on this thread has said.

It looks like she had made up her mind as to what she would do before she asked for advice anyway.

I'm in total agreement with you there. I did the home blonde thing for years and I cringe every time I remember how bad my hair looked. I rather like going to the hairdresser, makes me feel pampered and it's much gentler on my hair. Plus I like knowing I won't have to wait six weeks to decide whether I like it or not.

Lady Emeralde Justyce
in the
Order of the Long Haired Knights

CallieMothraAngel
Old May 16th, 2006, 10:22 AM   #13
Sian100
Long Hair Guru

Justgreen, thanks for supporting what I said. I just can't forget that my hair went orange when I tried to lighten it to blonde over red dye at home. It was simply unforgettable! RepunzelGnome's experience sounds similar.

Even now the red's grown out I still wouldn't lighten at home; definitely best to find a good hairdresser and go to them. There are dodgy hairdressers everywhere, but it is possible to find a good one.

I'm all for people doing what they want to their own hair, but why ask for advice when you clearly have your heart set on doing something everyone advises against anyway.
Old May 16th, 2006, 12:53 PM   #14
RepunzelGnome
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 14/30/40+
Type: 1c/2a/M/ii

I think that maybe she was subconsciously looking for reassurence for the route she had already decided to go, rather than asking for advice. She only has two posts so she's probably not familar with the (majority of forum poster's) philosophies on healthy hair here. She was probably expecting people to say "DYE DYE DYE" since this seems to be what the rest of the world says.

It does seem sorta silly to me, like she didn't get the answer she was looking for so she went ahead and did it anyways, but I guess she probably is not used to our different views on hair.

Maybe if she sticks around, some of it will start to make sense to her and she will start taking advice. I'm sure glad that I did.
Goals: First tailbone, then classic. Here's hopin' for fairytale ends!

Repunzel's Photo Lair
Old May 16th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #15
lydia
Long Hair Devotee

Type: 1b/M/iii

ug. this reminds me of when I was a student and had red hair and dyed it white just to go to a party. then back to red again the next day. fortunately it was only a couple of inches long.. when I dyed it black, that was also impossible to remove. O wot fun we had.

justgreen and sian you both have totally stunning hair.