The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards

Go Back   The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards > Discussion Forums > Recipes
Recipes Post your hair and beauty related recipes here!

Main Menu

hair styles The Community
hair care Home
prom hair Articles
long hair styles Product Reviews
long hair care Boutique
long hair prom styles Forums
hair styles Memberlist
hair care Chat Room
prom hair styles Calendar
long hair style FAQ
long hair care Contribute!

growing long hair Contact zone
long hair care products Staff
long hair gallery Contact Us
long hair updo Advertising

Archives

User Name:

Password:

Remember Me?
Not a member yet?
Register Now!

Old February 14th, 2006, 10:47 AM   #1
Stagecoach
Long Hair Devotee

Length: BSL/44"/60"
Type: 1b/M/ii
Trader Rating: 1

Ivory soap and hair?

Does anyone know if Ivory soap dissolved in water would make a gentle shampoo?
[Jesus Christ], that whosoever believth on him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

Old February 14th, 2006, 10:51 AM   #2
justgreen
Long Hair Guru

Length: 17"/hip/bc
Type: 1b/1c/M/iii
Trader Rating: 25

Re: Ivory soap and hair?

Hmmm, I don't know. I do know we use ivory soap in the rock tumbler. It helps hasten the erosion.

Lady Emeralde Justyce
in the
Order of the Long Haired Knights

CallieMothraAngel
Old February 14th, 2006, 11:01 AM   #3
Denise

Trader Rating: 0

If one were bald or had a very short buzz it might be OK, but not for hair of any length--I think it would be quite drying and leave tons of residue. I don't even like Ivory on my skin (and I don't have the most finicky complexion around). Castile soap may be a better bet (here's a recent thread), but it is pretty alkaline and you'd probably need to do a vinegar rinse after it if you use it on your length (and it still may be drying). I often use Kirk's Castile bar on my skin and I'll use it occasionally around the hairline when I have the greasies yet I'm too much in a hurry to even do a proper scalp wash, but not often enough to incur damage (and the package does say it can be used as shampoo, but I'd never use it throughout my length).
Old February 14th, 2006, 12:17 PM   #4
Stagecoach
Long Hair Devotee

Length: BSL/44"/60"
Type: 1b/M/ii
Trader Rating: 1

Thanks! I'm trying to find a shampoo that has not sulfates in it that I can either buy or make.
[Jesus Christ], that whosoever believth on him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

Old February 14th, 2006, 12:29 PM   #5
justgreen
Long Hair Guru

Length: 17"/hip/bc
Type: 1b/1c/M/iii
Trader Rating: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagecoach
Thanks! I'm trying to find a shampoo that has not sulfates in it that I can either buy or make.

Aveda shampoos are sulfate-free. Yes, they are expensive ($9.00 12 ounces), but they clean great , even diluted 1/4 with water. (four parts water, 1 part shampoo) That 12 ounce bottle of shampoo lasts me about 3-4 months.

Avalon Organics are sulfate-free also. Same thing as above. I dilute my shampoo and use it during a CWC. That's how I got rid of itchy flakey scalp

I think that Speedbump dilutes even more than I do .

Lady Emeralde Justyce
in the
Order of the Long Haired Knights

CallieMothraAngel
Old February 14th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #6
littletresses
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 10"/20"/BSL
Type: 2c/M/ii

My mom has recently been experimenting with Ivory soap on her hair. So far it seems to work very well since she is only washing her hair once a week *cringe* and it is nice after the ivory soap wash. She does a vinegar rinse afterward. Her hair seems to be thriving on such treatment, though results are probably different for everyone.
Old February 14th, 2006, 11:13 PM   #7
snarkylyn
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 25/27/tbl
Type: 1b/F/ii

Quote:
So far it seems to work very well since she is only washing her hair once a week *cringe* and it is nice after the ivory soap wash. She does a vinegar rinse afterward.

Okay, the cringe made me laugh! Some folks here wash that often, and some even less. This place has really broadened my horizons; as far as doing what works for you. For some, that is washing once a week, for some every day. I shamelessly only wash every 3 or 4 days.

My late-and-sorely-missed grandfather used Ivory soap on his hair for years and years, but he kept a buzz cut, so like Denise said, it was bound to be ok.
Old February 15th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #8
Carolyn
Long Hair Guru

Length: 18"?/36"/40"
Type: 1c/2a/M/ii
Trader Rating: 22

When I've used Ivory soap to bathe with it left a horrible scum in the bathtub. I'd hate to have that on my hair.
Old February 15th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #9
roxydarnit
Long Hair Devotee

Length: Pixie/33 in/??
Type: 2c/3a/F/iii

I'm inclined to agree with the thoughts - it's awfully drying and from my experience, leaves a terrible film of residue.

So - maybe for short hair, or very oily hair, and then only when followed by a vinegar rinse?

As convenient, inexpensive and downright simple as it sounds - I don't think I'd trust my hair to it. Plus - what are the ingredients? I haven't used Ivory in so long (because it's too drying and leaves such a film). Is it detergent based? What's the main detergent? I can't imagine it's lye and fat based?

Although - the simplest answer would be - give it a shot. See what your hair thinks of it. You'll know very quickly whether it's truly horrid.

Just don't do it when you have someplace important to be. Pick a time when you have time to re-wash if needed!

And me with straight(ish) hair - it can happen!

Wifey #71 to Pegasus Marsters
Old February 15th, 2006, 02:56 PM   #10
Shell
Long Hair Guru

Length: short/38/43
Type: 2c/M/iii
Trader Rating: 16

My skin hates Ivory, so I wouldn't use it on my hair. How about Chagrin Valley Shampoo Bars http://chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/. These are great on hair and skin. For hair you need to use a vinegar rinse.

Or Terressentials shampoo? http://www.terressentials.com/. This is my current fave.

I find that everything else has sulfates or protein. If your hair doesn't mind protein you could try Aubrey Organics. Their Rose Mosqueta doesn't have protein.

You could also make your own using Indian herbs or soapwort. I loved the soapwort. I am currently using TE, but am going to mix my herb mix with some clay and try that when I get some free time.

There are lots of great options, especially if you're flexible and don't mind doing it yourself.

I have decided to grow my hair as long as my age.
Old February 16th, 2006, 03:07 AM   #11
12catcrazy
Long Hair Devotee

A company called Iowa Soapworks also makes shampoo bars (I use the Rosemary one). They are sold through their own website or J.Lynne Cosmetics' site.

If you really want to use a bar-type product, I'd stick to using the handcrafted 'poo bars that people here have mentioned (either C.V. or Iowa Soapworks). They are formulated with hair in mind and aren't as harsh as Ivory Soap (which I can't even use on my skin). Also keep in mind, that unless you live in a very soft water area, you will have to use a vinegar rinse after the 'poo bar to cut the residue left behind. Its no big deal - a tablespoon or two of vinegar in a few cups (or a quart) of water and then pour over the hair and rinse.
Old March 4th, 2006, 10:02 AM   #12
pinkcat2006
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 22"/32"/36"
Type: 2a/2b/M/iii

I also hate Ivory on my skin. I have very dry skin (and hair). I have been using Dove bar soap on my skin for about 10 years and wouldn't change. I recently tried it on my hair and it has been the best thing I have ever used (although I did really like Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose S/C). Since using it, I have not had nearly as many split ends. I am also taking Biotin 7000mcg a day (my hair seems to be growing much faster).
Old March 4th, 2006, 10:10 AM   #13
ladykemma
Long Hair Devotee

ivory soap is beef fat and lye. definitely would get scalp clean. you would need an acidic rinse after.