The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards

Go Back   The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards > Discussion Forums > The "Mane" Forum
The "Mane" Forum This is where you'll find the community members talking about the latest and greatest in hair. Discuss everything hair here!

Main Menu

hair styles The Community
hair care Home
prom hair Articles
long hair styles Product Reviews
long hair care Boutique
long hair prom styles Forums
hair styles Memberlist
hair care Chat Room
prom hair styles Calendar
long hair style FAQ
long hair care Contribute!

growing long hair Contact zone
long hair care products Staff
long hair gallery Contact Us
long hair updo Advertising

Archives

User Name:

Password:

Remember Me?
Not a member yet?
Register Now!

Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:57 AM   #1
nick11082001
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 1"/12"/24"+
Type: 2b/2c//
Trader Rating: 0

what does mayonaise really do for hair??

i had someone tell me once that mayonaise is good to deep condition your hair, is this true? what benefits does it have? and how do you apply it?
Old January 3rd, 2006, 10:05 AM   #2
Emeraude
Long Hair Devotee

Length: .5/19/30
Type: 4a/M/ii/iii

Re: what does mayonaise really do for hair??

I've read that it's good for conditioning the hair but found that, at least on my hair, it didn't do anything but sit there and smell and make my hair greasy. It gave my hair a film that I had to wash out and re-condition.

It didn't seem to do anything for my hair at all. You can try a small section if you just want to test.

You apply it to your hair with your hands and massage or comb it in and generally leave it on from 10-20 minutes and then rinse.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 10:11 AM   #3
nick11082001
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 1"/12"/24"+
Type: 2b/2c//

thanks for the advice
Old January 3rd, 2006, 10:13 AM   #4
Prettypolly
Long Hair Guru

Length: 23.5/?/tail
Type: 2c/M/C/ii/iii
Trader Rating: 3

Mayo is meant to be a good protein treatment for people with damaged hair. Anytime I've done it I've applied it to wet hair, kept it on for an hour or so, then shampoo'd off and conditioned as normal. However, I didn't notice a difference in my hair.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 10:17 AM   #5
Epi71
Long Hair Devotee

I tried it a very long time ago and, unfortunately, my results were similar to Emeraude's. But I do know that it works well for many other people and I hope it does for you if you decide to try it, Nick. If you do, please post your results!

Goal: Waistlength U shape.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 10:18 AM   #6
Flaxen

Length: 26"/33.5"/39.5"
Type: 2b/F/ii
Trader Rating: 19

Here are heidi w's instructions for a mayonnaise hair wash.

oil: Japanese camellia
shampoo: Earthly Delight
leave-in: Shea It Ain't So
treatments: cassia; Phytologie Phytomoelle

avatar: Una and the Lion ~Briton Rivière
Old January 3rd, 2006, 10:20 AM   #7
Ursula
Long Hair Guru

Length: 32/39/?
Type: 2c/M/iii
Trader Rating: 10

Mayonnaise has a combination of things. Primarily oil, protein, cholesterol, and vinegar.

I've used mayo successfully - store bought full-fat mayo, CO'd out. Not a huge difference, but it was very conditioning, and seemed to be somewhat strengthening.

Homemade mayo is a tempting idea - get the benefits of egg, oil and vinegar, but leave out the salt and spices.
How long is your hair? *** Ursula's Braid 911 *** Shampoo Detergents: They're all good, but which one is good for you?
Worried about computer security? Dance the Security Tango!
Old January 3rd, 2006, 10:23 AM   #8
Alley Cat
Long Hair Guru

Length: 22.5/28.5/30
Type: 2b/M/iii
Trader Rating: 3

I tried the mayonnaise deep treatment when I first came here, one of my first experiments actually and the results were good, I haven't done it again because I started experimenting doing other things and quite frankly forgot about it, so thanks for the reminder. Good Luck.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 11:16 AM   #9
Linda
Long Hair Devotee

Type: 1b/F/

I found the benifits of this by accident when my children managed to bring the dreaded "lice" problem home several years ago. Mayo and viniger is better than the store bought lice treatment, cheaper, and my hair had a shine and silky feeling like ever before. The kids did complain about the smell, and that they smelled like a salad, but it worked!

Linda
Old January 3rd, 2006, 11:17 AM   #10
gypsyinamorata
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 21/28/30
Type: 1a/F/ii

Mayonaise makes me fall asleep when I eat it...weird huh?! I'm allergic to the soybean oil in it. Sorry, back to the topic...
Old January 3rd, 2006, 12:20 PM   #11
hairobsession
Banned Member

I've heard that mayo acts like a conditioner. I've tried it, but all I got was stinky and greasy hair. It might work for thicker hair.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 12:58 PM   #12
heidi w.
Long Hair Guru

Length: 6 in./57.5/5'1"

Mayonnaise is a kind of 'deep conditioner.'

The egg is the protein treatment; the vinegar in it helps bind the cuticle (meaning help cuticles to lie closer together, tighter and flatter, in the context of one's hair type). It's also moisturizing.

I have done it in past years with success.

I have taken my hair and shampooed it to first remove any detris, debris, oil, sebum, etc. Often I do the mayo hair wash after a clarify shampoo using a home recipe that includes Baking Soda (clarify hair shampoo). Any clarify shampoo, whether a home recipe or a store bought product, should be followed by a sincere conditioning session to replace what's been removed.

I then take regular full fat mayo (nothing like dijonnaise or lowfat or nonfat nor miracle whip -- Best Foods is good) and pack it on to the length of my hair. I do mean pack it.

Then I spiral the hair length up on to my head and wrap a plastic grocery bag around my head tying it off.

Then I get out of the shower and let it sit on my hair for minimum 30 minutes, almost always 60 minutes, a few times 90 minutes, and once 40 minutes. (This gives you a range of time to leave on yet does set a minimum. I find best results are produced with a full hour of leaving on.)

While sitting, I wrap a towel about my shoulders and thickly rolled about my neck since it will drip white watery gunk down the face. (The hair is not wrung or patted dry; it's literally, "dripping" wet.) Wear clothing and use towels you don't care about. And be sure no one who you don't want to see you looking like a goofball is around.

Then back in the shower after an hour to rinse, using warm water and a little dollop of shampoo lathered in the hands to remove. Use more shampoo if you need yet take care to not use too much shampoo. Just use what you need.

Then condition per usual (recommend hair length only).

Then out of the shower and follow your usual procedure for drying, leave-in and/or oiling, whether wet or dry.

I have had a mixed reply from this procedure: some say it worked; some said it smelled still after rinsing; some said it didn't work; some said they couldn't get the mayo out.

The mayo should absorb somewhat into the hair. It may be a milky white once the bag is removed.

One can ACV Rinse after mayo hair washing, then conditioning per usual (if this is chosen). This may well help to remove any mayo that remains on the hair after the rinsing with regular water is finished. Rinse a lot.

Wrap the hair in a rather humid, steamy bath environment.

If you don't want to 'go there' with this idea, you might really like DON's Hot Oil Treatment, which I've written about with instructions and so has he. Try a search or proceed to members list to find posts.

The Lady with the Lamp
photo: Mr. Lady Godiva, New Year's 2005

Thought for the day: "Never take grebeners from a moyel."
Old January 4th, 2006, 07:06 AM   #13
Hairstorm
Long Hair Guru

Length: bob/59.5"/termi
Type: 1c/2a/C/ii/iii

My hair really likes the mayo, done by heidi w's method. Except I do not put my hair up; I just put it in a plastic Target bag, clip it shut and tuck it into my bathrobe for warmth. I don't apply the mayo to my scalp, just the length. There's a picture somewhere in my photo journal of the results, when you get access to that area.

"...true beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It is the caring that she lovingly gives, the passion that she shows, and the beauty of a woman with passing years only grows!" Sam Levenson