The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards

Go Back   The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards > Discussion Forums > The "Mane" Forum
The "Mane" Forum This is where you'll find the community members talking about the latest and greatest in hair. Discuss everything hair here!

Main Menu

hair styles The Community
hair care Home
prom hair Articles
long hair styles Product Reviews
long hair care Boutique
long hair prom styles Forums
hair styles Memberlist
hair care Chat Room
prom hair styles Calendar
long hair style FAQ
long hair care Contribute!

growing long hair Contact zone
long hair care products Staff
long hair gallery Contact Us
long hair updo Advertising

Archives

User Name:

Password:

Remember Me?
Not a member yet?
Register Now!

Old December 9th, 2005, 03:09 PM   #1
GlitterGurl
Long Hair Devotee

Type: 1c/M/ii
Trader Rating: 0

Camomile to lighten hair

I was told that camomile rinses make your hair color lighter. How much lighter exactly can it get? I know it won't achieve platinum blonde, but are camomile rinses really worth the trouble?

My colored hair is blondish, and my natural roots (about 1.5") are brown.
Old December 9th, 2005, 03:32 PM   #2
mestillaqt
Long Hair Guru

Length: 31?/34/
Type: 1b/1c/F/M/ii
Trader Rating: 4

Re: Camomile to lighten hair

Glittergirl-I wonder if this might be better answered or responded to under the sticky thread about henna, since they kinda go together. I could be wrong but that was the first thing that came to mind when I read this.
Old December 9th, 2005, 03:55 PM   #3
GlitterGurl
Long Hair Devotee

Hmmffff People keep suggesting hena, but it will never give me the color I want. I'm naturally brown. The roots are dark brown and it tends to get a bit lighter at the ends. Hena will only make it either dark brown or reddish, which will look awful on me.

Here's a picture of me from July 2005 with dyed hair:
Old December 9th, 2005, 04:19 PM   #4
wonderlywroughte
Long Hair Guru

Length: ?/47"/?
Type: 2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii
Trader Rating: 56

I think chamomile rinses will give you some lighter highlights, but won't really LIGHTEN your total color too much. But I could be wrong, I've never done them!

Spiral with me!//Journal
Old December 9th, 2005, 04:32 PM   #5
mestillaqt
Long Hair Guru

Length: 31?/34/
Type: 1b/1c/F/M/ii
Trader Rating: 4

Actually, I've never used it either. I heard about it on the Mehandi.com site (body art henna ) . No, you probably don't want henna itself, but maybe a hint of indigo or not?, chamomile and walnut? I've heard on the forum at Catherine's henna site that those ingredients can help lighten hair or make it more light brown and not dark brown. With eception of indigo-since that is black in itself. I suggested the sticky thread on henna because there are posts about chamomile for hair, etc already there w/ more helpful info than I can give. HTH
Old December 9th, 2005, 04:36 PM   #6
zule
Long Hair Guru

Length: 27.5/waist/term.
Type: 2b/2c/F/M/ii
Trader Rating: 17

I used chamomile all through high school. It's a common rinse in Spain for people with "honey-colored" (light to medium brown) hair. I made a very strong tea--to a deep, golden brown--and kept left overs in the fridge. I used it as a leave-in rinse after shampooing.

At first, it gives gold or red highlights, depending on your own hair. Then it starts to lighten it. Within several applications, it will definitely be a shade or two lighter. I had roots after a time, and stopped doing it. I don't know how much lighter it would eventually have gotten, but I'd say three shades.

Please stop by my My Journal. I've made the best friends here!
Old December 9th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #7
GlitterGurl
Long Hair Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by zule
I used chamomile all through high school. It's a common rinse in Spain for people with "honey-colored" (light to medium brown) hair. I made a very strong tea--to a deep, golden brown--and kept left overs in the fridge. I used it as a leave-in rinse after shampooing.

At first, it gives gold or red highlights, depending on your own hair. Then it starts to lighten it. Within several applications, it will definitely be a shade or two lighter. I had roots after a time, and stopped doing it. I don't know how much lighter it would eventually have gotten, but I'd say three shades.

THANKS!!
Old December 9th, 2005, 05:05 PM   #8
lagrandegazelle
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 12/21/35
Type: 1c/2a//
Trader Rating: 2

Wow! I'll try that too!
Old December 9th, 2005, 06:34 PM   #9
coppercurls
Long Hair Guru

Length: 24.5/32.75/Long
Type: 3c/F/M/iii
Trader Rating: 5

I use a camomille rinse during the summer to add golden highlights to my reddish/coppery colored hair. I was very happy with the results, they were very natural looking and I like the general feeling of softness it created in my hair. I still use it some but not as much as I do in the summertime. Next summer, I plan on growing my own camomille, lavender, and sage in my garden. I already have rosemary. I hope this works for you, let us know one way or the other.

"While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats."
-Mark Twain

"Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none". --William Shakespeare

Old December 9th, 2005, 07:49 PM   #10
StarShine
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 11/31/term?
Type: 1a/1b/F/M/ii

You can also use lemon juice to naturally lighten your hair. You have to sit in the sun for a few hours, and there is a risk that you can dry you hair out, but I'm pretty sure it works. It will turn very dark hair red though, instead of blond. I'm planning on doing that in spring to add some highlights. I've used chammomile tea in my henna mix before, but never noticed a difference. From what I've read on chammomile, it coats the hair shaft with a yellow hue, so it's only noticeable on lighter hair.
Old December 12th, 2005, 05:47 AM   #11
ChloeDharma
Long Hair Guru

Length: crop/bra/hip+
Type: 2a/F/ii

I use to use Chamomile and Lemon juice to lighten my hair as a teenager and it did give nice results. However as has been mentioned, lemon can be a little drying, although i'm sure not as drying as peroxide! Other herbs can be used like Calendula for reddy gold effects, mullein, and rhubarb.
I would say definately DON'T use henna as the only colour it gives is red! And DON'T use Indigo as that is used for a black tint, walnut is for a brown shade. I'd suggest trying the Chamomile first but don't expect miraculous results instantly, it takes time and won't be terribly dramatic.

The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.
Old December 12th, 2005, 06:37 AM   #12
Delenn
Long Hair Guru

Type: 2b/M/C/iii
Trader Rating: 9

Chamomile leave-in definitely works, unfortunately for me I can't stand the smell in my hair.
Old December 12th, 2005, 08:03 AM   #13
LadyOttoline
Long Hair Devotee

Length: long/40/45+
Type: 1a/F/i/ii
Trader Rating: 46

If your hair is naturally brown or even dark brown, chamomile won't make your hair blonde, not even dark blonde. It can perhaps lighten your brown some, give it a golden brown touch, but it'll never achieve the results a dye does. I have dark blonde to light brown hair myself and chamomile doesn't really do anything to it, even repeated leave-in applications. I think chamomile works best on already blondish hair, to bring out the blonde and make it shinier and appear brighter.

May 13, 2006

Last edited by LadyOttoline : December 12th, 2005 at 08:06 AM. Reason: typos
Old December 12th, 2005, 01:47 PM   #14
hairobsession
Banned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zule

Ooooooooo! I might try that!
Old December 12th, 2005, 01:56 PM   #15
CrazedArtist
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 17/29/More!
Type: 1a/M/ii

Remember, the only reason lemon juice lightens your hair is the citric acid. Peroxide is an acid too! EEK ACID IT WILL EAT US

Seriously though, I'm sure when used with caution at very low concentrations, it's not a big deal. For all I know, the chamomile might have a mild acidic action as well.