The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards

Go Back   The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards > Discussion Forums > The "Mane" Forum
The "Mane" Forum This is where you'll find the community members talking about the latest and greatest in hair. Discuss everything hair here!

Main Menu

hair styles The Community
hair care Home
prom hair Articles
long hair styles Product Reviews
long hair care Boutique
long hair prom styles Forums
hair styles Memberlist
hair care Chat Room
prom hair styles Calendar
long hair style FAQ
long hair care Contribute!

growing long hair Contact zone
long hair care products Staff
long hair gallery Contact Us
long hair updo Advertising

Archives

User Name:

Password:

Remember Me?
Not a member yet?
Register Now!

Old October 26th, 2005, 12:52 PM   #1
ariane
Long Hair Devotee

Trader Rating: 0

does anyone use a hood dryer?

which one? do you like it? have you tried it with curlers? how hard is it to get rollers into long hair? how long does it tkae to dry? sorry for the barrage of questions, I've been thinking about this a lot lately.
Old October 26th, 2005, 03:45 PM   #2
Carolyn
Long Hair Guru

Length: 18"?/36"/40"
Type: 1c/2a/M/ii
Trader Rating: 22

Re: does anyone use a hood dryer?

I've used soft bonnet dryers on and off for years. I like the soft bonnet ones much better than the hard hood ones. With the hard hood ones you have to sit still in exactly one spot like you do in a salon. Sitting under a salon dryer has to be one of the worst forms of torture known to womankind. With a soft bonnet dryer you can move around a bit. Change position. Move your head around. I've often taken a nap while using one. I don't get a headache, stiff neck, back ache and dry eyes with a soft dryer like I do with a salon type dryer. I have 2 different ones. Both were purchased at Sallys. I think maybe Hairboutique sells one too. I don't think rolling long hair is hard but I've been doing it since my teens in the 60s. I use a combination of magnetic rollers and mesh rollers with the brushes taken out. I pin each roller to the previous one with those long bobby pins. All are available at Sallys. HTH
Old October 26th, 2005, 03:47 PM   #3
UP Lisa
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 12/27/30
Type: 2a/F/ii

I recently bought one to use for deep conditioning treatments.

Can't believe I'm almost at Waist!!!
Old October 26th, 2005, 03:51 PM   #4
MariaAZ
Long Hair Guru

Length: 23.5/24.5/30
Type: 1c/2a/F/ii
Trader Rating: 10

Like Carolyn, I too use a soft bonnet dryer for deep conditioning. I also use it sometimes when I apply henna. Mine is a Conair, and I love it. It's small enough to tote around, so if I get tired of sitting in one location I just unplug, move, plug back in & keep on going.

Actually, I'm glad I saw this thread. It's been awhile since I did a heat-assisted deep treatment, and I'm WAY overdue for one!

With cookies as a companion one is never alone! - Arcticpixie
Old October 26th, 2005, 11:16 PM   #5
troy7656
Banned Member

How does a hood dryer work?
Old October 27th, 2005, 12:15 AM   #6
singindierain
Long Hair Guru

Length: 14/33.5/48
Type: 1c/F/M/ii

Nope never used one except at the salon, but I wonder if they are less damaging than regular hair dryers?
Old October 27th, 2005, 03:56 AM   #7
Katka
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 13/22/28
Type: 2a//

I often use a hood dryer, especially with rollers in my hair, because itīs more comfortable and it lasts quite long to have my hair really dry (more than a quarter of an hour with rollers, without about ten minutes).
Old October 27th, 2005, 05:42 AM   #8
MariaAZ
Long Hair Guru

Length: 23.5/24.5/30
Type: 1c/2a/F/ii

Quote:
Originally Posted by singindierain
Nope never used one except at the salon, but I wonder if they are less damaging than regular hair dryers?
I don't know if they're less damaging, but I use mine on low setting and the heat isn't nearly as high as it is with my blowdryer. Even on low setting, if I hold my blowdryer too close I can heat up my scalp pretty quickly. I don't have this problem with my soft bonnet dryer.

With cookies as a companion one is never alone! - Arcticpixie
Old October 27th, 2005, 06:08 AM   #9
maneguy
Long Hair Devotee

Hood dryers are definitely less damaging. A blow dryer with 1500 watts held in one spot concentrates the heat and can damage the hair. With a bonnet style dryer (usually 1200 watts of heat) the heat is more dispersed resulting in gentler air flow and virtually no damage.

My lady uses one on her thich, below shoulder lenght hair all the time after I set her in large rollers. (It is good practice to let the hair cool in rollers for 20 mins or so after the hair is dry.)Her hair is in great condition, with shine and her styles hold several days.

Suggestions for good results roller setting and using a bonnet dryer:
- use a heat activated styling spray.
- use a texturizing lotion or styling cream that coats the hair and helps retain moisture.
- turn down the heat to a comfortable level and dry an extra few mins for the least damage.
Old October 27th, 2005, 07:30 AM   #10
ariane
Long Hair Devotee

thanks everyone! that's very helpful. I think I'm going to get a soft bonnet one. I am hoping the rollers + hood replace flat ironing which I've gotten in the habit of doing (bad, I know, but I was so fed up with frizz that it was either that or cut it).

the idea of pinning the rolers to each other is a great idea. but what are magenetic roller? they use magnets to keep them on hair? do you roll the top layers of hair first or the bottom?
Old October 27th, 2005, 08:03 AM   #11
Dulci
Long Hair Guru

Length: 39"/55"/???
Type: 3a/3b/F/M/ii
Trader Rating: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariane
... but what are magenetic roller? they use magnets to keep them on hair? ...

Magnetic rollers are smooth hard plastic, instead of the brushed-filled ones or spongy ones. I don't know why they call them magnetic!
Old October 27th, 2005, 08:15 AM   #12
Carolyn
Long Hair Guru

Length: 18"?/36"/40"
Type: 1c/2a/M/ii
Trader Rating: 22

I think they call them magnetic because the wet hair is supposed to stick to them like a magnet. Anyways that's what I was told once. The wetter the hair when you roll it the better it will stick to the roller. Also one of those large triangle shaped nets its nice to have to tie around your head to keep the rollers from coming out. The long part of the triangle goes up next to your front hair line. Bring the ends together at your nape and tie. Check out Sallys for all those things. I've found the nets at old fashioned type dime stores too.
Old October 27th, 2005, 08:44 AM   #13
MissKeisha
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 15.5/19/25
Type: 4a/C/iii

I have the pink Ionic one that's sold at Sally's. I use it for heat conditioning mostly. The other times I use are are to dry my hair after a wash by wrapping my hair into a beehive and sitting under the dryer. I've only used it less than 10 times for roller setting. I don't have a lot of patience. But the rollers fit under it nicely. Then again I have only 18 inches of hair so I don't know how it may be for you.
Old October 27th, 2005, 08:52 AM   #14
Dresses & Tresses
Long Hair Devotee

Type: 2c/C/iii
Trader Rating: 4

I use a soft bonnet dryer and rollers once every 8 days to wash and then set my hair. Without the rollers and bonnet dryer my hair is bushey, frizzy, and tangles very easily. With the rollers and dryer my hair holds a "set" for over a week, is shiney, and has almost no tangles.

I don't find this difficult but I do have my Beloved roll the back of my hair because my arms are too short .

D&T
Old October 27th, 2005, 09:00 AM   #15
ariane
Long Hair Devotee

interesting - I wonder if the "magnetic" rollers have any special quality that makes them more attractive to hair, or if it's just advertising bunk. now that I think about it, I think I have some big ones at home...

does anyone have any particular products that work well with roller sets? would Aura gel work?