The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards

Go Back   The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards > Discussion Forums > Recipes
Recipes Post your hair and beauty related recipes here!

Main Menu

hair styles The Community
hair care Home
prom hair Articles
long hair styles Product Reviews
long hair care Boutique
long hair prom styles Forums
hair styles Memberlist
hair care Chat Room
prom hair styles Calendar
long hair style FAQ
long hair care Contribute!

growing long hair Contact zone
long hair care products Staff
long hair gallery Contact Us
long hair updo Advertising

Archives

User Name:

Password:

Remember Me?
Not a member yet?
Register Now!

Old May 25th, 2005, 02:43 AM   #1
mariam
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 20/34.5/37
Type: 2b/2c/C/iii
Trader Rating: 0

beetroot in henna

Hi Guys,

I have tried this mix yesterday. Henna and Beetroot juice mixed together gives a cool burgundy color to the hair. The hair feels soft too.

pls share with me yr experiences as well. his has helped me cover greys as well.
Old May 25th, 2005, 04:26 AM   #2
Koala Kim
Long Hair Guru

Type: 2b/2c/F/iii
Trader Rating: 34

Re: beetroot in henna

Sounds beautiful mariam!

Don't suppose there are any pictures we could see of your hair, hmmm?

For CB & Momma Smurf
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:21 AM   #3
Nitsa
Long Hair Guru

Type: 2a/F/ii
Trader Rating: 16

I have beetroot powder that I have never used. I wondered if it could be mixed with henna. I wonder how much?

Nitsa's Hair Journal
Amor Vincit Omnia

Dark Brown hair with Reddish highlights
Length 37.5" Fine and Wavy
Henna for color and strength
Morrocco Method and Herbal washes
Misting with Rose Water
Meadow Foam oil and Jatamansi oil. (Spikenard)
Old May 25th, 2005, 08:06 AM   #4
Thursday
Long Hair Guru

Length: 37"/44"/??
Type: 2a/M/C/iii
Trader Rating: 10

Last hennaing I did I used 200g Henna powder and 75g beetroot powder. My hair is still orange-y rather than burgundy-y, but then I've only been hennaing for about 2 months.

My plan for the next batch is to mix up not only henna and beetroot powders, but also to dissolve some of the powder and use that water to make up the henna.

Irritatingly I have to get the beetroot powder mail order, so once I run out of this supply I may see if I can get beetroot juice locally and use that instead.
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:19 AM   #5
Catrin
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 12/36/term.
Type: 1b/M/i/ii
Trader Rating: 2

I'm not really sure if that works. Beetroot stains fabric, but when I tried it by itself on my hair it did NOTHING. I was looking for a punky alternative to chemical dyes, but this didn't cut it on it's own. The only way it must be working with henna is for it to bond to the lawsone molecule whehn it's going into the hair. I'm not trying to bash the idea, I just wonder if it's really working or if it's a mental thing.
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:09 AM   #6
Nitsa
Long Hair Guru

Type: 2a/F/ii
Trader Rating: 16

Catrin, maybe you didn't leave it on long enough or maybe like henna it needs to be applied to hair that is clean and free from other products. I am not sure.
But, my herbal lip dye is made from beetroot and it does very well at staining my lips.

Nitsa's Hair Journal
Amor Vincit Omnia

Dark Brown hair with Reddish highlights
Length 37.5" Fine and Wavy
Henna for color and strength
Morrocco Method and Herbal washes
Misting with Rose Water
Meadow Foam oil and Jatamansi oil. (Spikenard)
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:00 PM   #7
iris
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 20/24/30
Type: 2c/M/ii/iii
Trader Rating: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrin
I'm not really sure if that works. Beetroot stains fabric, but when I tried it by itself on my hair it did NOTHING. I was looking for a punky alternative to chemical dyes, but this didn't cut it on it's own. The only way it must be working with henna is for it to bond to the lawsone molecule whehn it's going into the hair. I'm not trying to bash the idea, I just wonder if it's really working or if it's a mental thing.
Beet root doesn't stain my hair either. It does stain my scalp bright pink, but doesn't stain the hair at all.

I always think when people say that beetroot helps to give them a cooler/deeper colour, it's actually the henna building up (people typically play around with beet root when they just start using henna, I think - i.e. at a time when every new henna application deepens the colour anyway, and the colour also gets cooler due to oxidation of earlier batches - I find that oxidation continues for quite a while after the first couple of days).

But of course it could also be that beet root just takes better on some types of hair than on others.

Iris
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:35 PM   #8
mariam
Long Hair Devotee

dear all,

I dont know how it would turn out on different hair colors. For ex I have black hair. So it gives a burgandy tinge to it. But I have seen ppl say that it does deepen the color (those with greys too). And since Beet root contains lots of Iron in it. Its good for the hair too.

Let me tell you how I prepared the mix. Boiled some water and added Tea + Cofee + amla in it. Now allowed the infusion to cool. After the solution is cooled, put a few drops of EO's in it (Rosemary/Ylang-Ylang/Cedarwood).

Cut a raw fresh Beetroot. And put it in the blender. And Strain the blended beetroot. The number of beetroots depends on the amount of henna you are mixing. I believe it should be 50% of the henna used. Now mixed the entire stuff [strained infusio in (1) and (2) ].

Now add henna to the above concoction.

Keep the mix for at least 24 hours. Do not add much oil. or else your hair will be sticky once u rinse out the henna.
After rinsing out do not use a shampoo. when the hair dries. Apply some oil onto your hair preferably Eucalyptus oil. and keep it on the hair for at least 12 hrs.
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:39 PM   #9
mariam
Long Hair Devotee

Hi Catrin,

I think Beetroot juice on its own wont stain the hair. But when combined with Henna, it does work. Similarly Indigo on its own does not work on the hair ( May be its too strong). So there has to be a base for using them.

When we mix coffee/ tea also to henna, it tries to reinforce the color. I hope you will get good results when you try this. Good Luck!!!

**Sorry Kim, I do not have any photos as of now. I still gotta get a digicam.

Last edited by mariam : May 26th, 2005 at 12:13 AM.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 01:06 PM   #10
avery
Long Hair Guru

Length: short/bob/BS
Type: 1b/F/ii
Trader Rating: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris
Beet root doesn't stain my hair either. It does stain my scalp bright pink, but doesn't stain the hair at all.

Iris

Ok, the thought of pink scalp terrifies me.

I mean, the concept sounds really cool. My hair is not dark and sort of thin, so I think pinkish scalp would probally be my result.