The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards

Go Back   The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards > Discussion Forums > Hair Products
Hair Products Have you just tried a new product and want to tell us about it? Are you looking for a new product to try? Come on in!

Main Menu

hair styles The Community
hair care Home
prom hair Articles
long hair styles Product Reviews
long hair care Boutique
long hair prom styles Forums
hair styles Memberlist
hair care Chat Room
prom hair styles Calendar
long hair style FAQ
long hair care Contribute!

growing long hair Contact zone
long hair care products Staff
long hair gallery Contact Us
long hair updo Advertising

Archives

User Name:

Password:

Remember Me?
Not a member yet?
Register Now!

Old July 16th, 2005, 05:18 AM   #196
Elbereth
Long Hair Guru

Length: 0.2/waist/long
Type: 1b/F/ii
Trader Rating: 10

Re: Chagrin Valley Shampoo Bars and Soap

There are differences between bars. For me, Carrot Milk& Honey has worked, but not quite as well as others- I think I have mildly that weird effect you're describing. Other shampoo bars I have (Honey Beer& Egg, Nettle, Rosemary Lavender Aloe) have worked wonderfully for me. So, it might just be that that particular bar is not working.

But if you have just started to use the bars, it may be that your hair will feel a bit weird with any of them. ACV rinsing after washing should help with that. And time of course- if you change to soap based shampoos after having used detergent based shampoos, there is "adjusting" period that lasts from about one to three weeks- depending on how often you wash. I have used bars for months now, and still ACV rinse after every wash -not because I must but because I still love the feeling it gives to my hair.

HTH
Old July 16th, 2005, 05:54 AM   #197
annarose
Long Hair Guru

Length: 17/25/32
Type: 2c/F/ii
Trader Rating: 17

Thanks Elbereth, I will try my Summer Sunshine bar this morning. Its good to know others have this problem too! Oh, an a acv rinse makes my hair feel drier for some reason,... strange!
Old July 17th, 2005, 03:53 PM   #198
moongrrl
Long Hair Devotee

Type: 2a/2b/F/i/ii
Trader Rating: 0

I've loved all of Ida's soaps I've tried but can't say that the shampoo bars did it for me. They're a little too moisturizing and leave my hair seriously limp when it dries. They still work well as body soaps, though. I can't imagine life without Cucumber Lime Yogurt and Scarborough Fair!

What is a weed? A plant whose virtue has yet to be discovered.-Emerson
Old July 17th, 2005, 03:57 PM   #199
Ursula
Long Hair Guru

Length: 32/39/?
Type: 2c/M/iii

I've had to abandon these as shampoo. I think it's the protein - they all have either egg, or milk or some other protein source. And I'm finding that my hair is far more sensitive to protein than I would have imagined pre-LHC.

But I'm liking the soap for my skin!
How long is your hair? *** Ursula's Braid 911 *** Shampoo Detergents: They're all good, but which one is good for you?
Worried about computer security? Dance the Security Tango!
Old July 27th, 2005, 06:42 PM   #200
AngelicBrunette
Long Hair Devotee

I just ordered some today and I have a few questions!

1) Are they labeled? (stupid question I know, but I'd like to know which is which :p)
2) Is an ACV rinse necessary? I've already bought enough hair stuff for now and I don't think my parents will love buying something else, haha
3) How do you use it?!? Rub the bar on your head? Soap up your hands first then rub it on your head? I'm very curious :p

I bought sample sizes of:

Carrot Milk & Honey Shampoo Bar
Chamomile & Citrus Shampoo Bar
Honey Beer & Egg Shampoo Bar
Summer Sunshine Shampoo Bar
Chocolate Orange Twist Soap
Shea Rose Clay Soap

I'm so excited!! She's shipping it out tommorow and I'm in Canada, anyone have an estimation for a delivery date? :p

1bMii.....18/33.5/hips......photo journal.......
Old July 27th, 2005, 08:08 PM   #201
Pilgrim
Long Hair Guru

Length: 21.5/28.25/Waist
Type: 3a/M/iii
Trader Rating: 8

[quote=AngelicBrunette]I just ordered some today and I have a few questions!

1) Are they labeled? (stupid question I know, but I'd like to know which is which :p)
2) Is an ACV rinse necessary? I've already bought enough hair stuff for now and I don't think my parents will love buying something else, haha
3) How do you use it?!? Rub the bar on your head? Soap up your hands first then rub it on your head? I'm very curious :p

1) The samples (generously sized, btw) are wrapped in paper, which is labeled. I ordered so many samples that I have gotten some of them mixed up, though.
2) IMO, an ACV rinse is definitely necessary. It isn't expensive, and has other uses, so maybe your parents won't mind.
3) Ida gives instructions on her website for using the shampoo bars. I lather some up in my hands first, but you will figure out what works best for you.

I hope you enjoy your soaps; I like them alot myself.

Julie
Old July 28th, 2005, 07:15 AM   #202
AngelicBrunette
Long Hair Devotee

thanks!!

Would normal white vinegar work? or does it have to be ACV? How do you even do a vinegar rinse? What container do you use? :p Sorry haha, I just never did it before :p

Old July 28th, 2005, 07:31 AM   #203
justme
Long Hair Guru

Length: ~16/52.5/69
Type: 2a/2b/M/ii
Trader Rating: 4

White vinegar should work - I think blondes use it because there is some concern about ACV darkening their color. I put only about a teaspoon or two into 2-4 cups water, swish it around, then pour onto my scalp keeping a little to dunk my length into. I know others use a stronger dilution but I hate the smell, so use the smallest amount that I can get away with. When I use the shampoo bars my hair feels coated and if I follow with a vinegar rinse the coating goes away immediately and is very obvious. Hopefully this helps!
Old July 28th, 2005, 07:43 AM   #204
AngelicBrunette
Long Hair Devotee

Great! thanks tons We have about 1.5 L of white vinegar here already so I thought it would be good if I could use that :p

Old July 29th, 2005, 04:04 PM   #205
ellyd_hert
Long Hair Devotee

Type: 2a/2b/F/M/ii

Has anybody had good experiences with one of those bars on dry, damaged, dyed hair?Or with the three butter bar? Those shampoo bars and soaps sound so good, but not sure which one to try for my hair.
I have 2a/2b hair, and I need a very moisturizing bar.
I probably order a couple of things, but I am especially interested in reviews of the three butter bar (details!) and the shampoo bars on dry hair that is not healthy.
Old July 29th, 2005, 05:34 PM   #206
Dispatcherbert
Long Hair Guru

Length: 22.25/35/??
Type: 1a/1b/F/i/ii

Read back in the posts, ellyd_hert, and/or go to Ida's website where there's a link to Fox's Long Hair Loom. Fox did an interview with Ida where Fox talks about using the three butter bar on the ends of the hair. I've used it but much like a leave-in shea, you have to be careful that you don't use too much since it will make your hair greasy.

Email Ida and tell her about your hair and she'll recommend a good shampoo for you. One of the things that I do is I use the Primrose Complexion Bar on my length so that it doesn't dry out. I've also had success with the Cucumber Lime Yogurt Soap on my length.

FWIW, prior to using Ida's shampoo bars, I was a CO washer for over two years. That's how great her products are--she's made me a convert!

HTH!

Metus improbos compescit, non clementina. (Fear, not kindness, restrains the wicked.) - Syrus Maximscolor
Old July 29th, 2005, 06:32 PM   #207
SunCat
Long Hair Guru

Length: 15/Waist/TB
Type: 2b/2c/F/iii
Trader Rating: 106

Ellyd_hert go to the Chagrin Valley site Ida lists all the ingredients for each bar and says what type of hair they are good for. I find that all of her shampoo bars are very moisturizing on the hair. You can also email Ida and see what she recommends for your hair, she is very sweet.

The 3 butter bar is a lotion bar so if you are going to use it on your ends you only need a very small amount. It works great on dry ends.

My hair isn't damaged but it is on the dry side.
Old July 30th, 2005, 02:20 PM   #208
Ralen81
Long Hair Admirer

Type: 2a/M/ii

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicBrunette
I'm so excited!! She's shipping it out tommorow and I'm in Canada, anyone have an estimation for a delivery date? :p
She's ships using global priority so you'll probably get it in 3-7 business days depending on where you live exactly.
I've been using the shea rose clay soap on my face for the last 3 or 4 days and it's fantastic! Smells beautiful and leaves my skin super smooth and soft.
Old July 31st, 2005, 03:50 PM   #209
girlndocs
Long Hair Devotee

Length: pixie/34/37.5
Type: 1b/F/M/ii
Trader Rating: 5

So I've been using my samples for awhile ...

Nettle and Rosemary Lavender Aloe seem OK. I'm still kinda getting acquainted with them. I learned they're too gentle to get off any moderate-to-heavy prewash oiling, and usually I massage my scalp with an essential oil blend the night before I wash, so we'll see how I can get that to work out. On the other hand, I never need to worry about my ends getting too dried out. Nettle smells, I think, like fennel, which is growing on me surprisingly. The Rosemary Lavender Aloe gave me more slip. Both tend to leave my hair soft and shiny, just slightly lanker than I like. I'm hoping the lankness will be solved by going easy on the oilings.

Cucumber Lime Yogurt is right out. It left my hair very coated and oily both times I used it (more so than before I washed). I really had high hopes for it, too, with the protein from the yogurt. However, it makes my skin feel great, really soft. It's technically a soap and not a shampoo bar, anyway.

I only used Herb Garden once. I couldn't get past the smell. Is it oregano or marjoram or something? It's way too turkey-dinner for me. Haven't tried the Carrot one, or the Honey Beer and Egg (still waiting another week or so to make sure it's done curing).

Interestingly, although DH and I have really different hair types, the bars seem to work about the same on both of us. He doesn't do oilings, but he still looks a little lank I don't think he's quite caught on how mild these are and that he has to be sure to lather extra thoroughly to get really clean and shiny.

Did someone say the Chamomile Citrus is more "stripping" than the others? With my oilings that might be the ticket.

Also, are the Primrose or the Shea Rose Clay bars at all, even the teeniest bit, drying?

Old July 31st, 2005, 04:36 PM   #210
Dispatcherbert
Long Hair Guru

Length: 22.25/35/??
Type: 1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote:
Also, are the Primrose or the Shea Rose Clay bars at all, even the teeniest bit, drying?

I can't speak for the Shea Rose Clay (although I'm dying to try it) but the Primrose Complexion Bar isn't in the least drying. I have combination skin and have been using this for a few months now and LOVE it! I actually alternate it with the Carrot Bar Complexion Soap.

Metus improbos compescit, non clementina. (Fear, not kindness, restrains the wicked.) - Syrus Maximscolor