The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards

Go Back   The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards > Discussion Forums > The "Mane" Forum
The "Mane" Forum This is where you'll find the community members talking about the latest and greatest in hair. Discuss everything hair here!

Main Menu

hair styles The Community
hair care Home
prom hair Articles
long hair styles Product Reviews
long hair care Boutique
long hair prom styles Forums
hair styles Memberlist
hair care Chat Room
prom hair styles Calendar
long hair style FAQ
long hair care Contribute!

growing long hair Contact zone
long hair care products Staff
long hair gallery Contact Us
long hair updo Advertising

Archives

User Name:

Password:

Remember Me?
Not a member yet?
Register Now!

Old January 7th, 2005, 11:25 AM   #1
Ninika
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 29/36.5/term?
Type: 2b/2c/F/ii
Trader Rating: 0

Minoan Hairstyle Ramble Thread

Hi everyone,

this is something I've been wondering about for quite a while now. Hair styles of this kind are often seen in ancient art, primarily minoan, I believe.

Now, the thing that gets me wondering are those loose strands in front. This is not the best example I've seen for that hairstyle, but it was the only one I could come up with in a hurry. The strands I'm referring to are sections from the back that are draped over the ears towards the front.

Why does this seem so strange and unusual?

I mean, the concept of taking a strand from behind and draping it over the ear isn't so absurd, is it? It's not as if you'd require any special tools for this, everyone has ears and a lot of people have hair long enough to be able to do this in theory. So how come you never see it done in real life today? Is it just that no one thinks about doing this? Ramble, ramble...

I actually think it looks pretty, if you've got those lovely snaky s-waves.

Do you find this hair-over-ears-thing strange? Do or would you wear your hair like this?
Old January 7th, 2005, 01:33 PM   #2
Meg_Evenstar
Long Hair Guru

Length: 32/37/65
Trader Rating: 5

Re: Minoan Hairstyle Ramble Thread

This looks sort of like hair that was worn in the Regency period so I don't think it is strange. To me it looks like an elegant updo. Old art can look a little strange to us, but if you observe it closely, it is not much different from what we do today.

Meg

Last edited by Meg_Evenstar : January 8th, 2005 at 04:40 PM.
Old January 7th, 2005, 05:09 PM   #3
songofsunlight
Long Hair Guru

Length: .../60"/...
Type: 2a/M/iii
Trader Rating: 6

Thanks for sharing such an interesting picture, Ninika. I think the style of hair arranged in front rather than behind the ears is a bit unusual only because it is somewhat impractical. Recently, though, at least one or two of the elves in the films of the Lord of the Rings had their hair styled over the ears. I find the look appealing.

You might add your picture to the archive in the Illustrations thread here, so that it can continue to be appreciated.

Celuriel
Old January 8th, 2005, 04:03 PM   #4
Lykaina
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 15?/32/40+
Type: 1a/1b/F/M/ii
Trader Rating: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninika
Do you find this hair-over-ears-thing strange? Do or would you wear your hair like this?

I don't think it strange, and I would wear my hair like that, except that I would constantly be tucking it back behind the ears out of habit.

If I have my history right, the Regency was a major period of Neoclassicism. Everyone was so in love with the Greco-Roman look, that young women actually dampened their dresses to get them to cling (and look like those statues). A lot of hairstyles were that elaborate, Greek-goddess style, that I would love to achieve, but don't have a maid to help me do it.

Wendy
Old January 8th, 2005, 04:44 PM   #5
Meg_Evenstar
Long Hair Guru

Length: 32/37/65
Trader Rating: 5

I love the Regency period. I like the clothes they wore and the hair styles. I am a big Jane Austen fan. It seems like it would have been a good time to have lived in, that is unless you were in the peasant class

Meg