The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards

Go Back   The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards > Discussion Forums > Hair Products
Hair Products Have you just tried a new product and want to tell us about it? Are you looking for a new product to try? Come on in!

Main Menu

hair styles The Community
hair care Home
prom hair Articles
long hair styles Product Reviews
long hair care Boutique
long hair prom styles Forums
hair styles Memberlist
hair care Chat Room
prom hair styles Calendar
long hair style FAQ
long hair care Contribute!

growing long hair Contact zone
long hair care products Staff
long hair gallery Contact Us
long hair updo Advertising

Archives

User Name:

Password:

Remember Me?
Not a member yet?
Register Now!

Old September 17th, 2005, 09:22 AM   #16
Meezer
Long Hair Guru

Length: 14/25/??
Type: 3a/M/ii/iii
Trader Rating: 17

Re: anyone tried chaz dean wen "cleansing conditioner"?

I just did a board search b/c I wanted to see if anyone else here had tried one of Chaz Dean's Wen Cleansing Conditioners.

I received a sample of the Fig and the Sweet Almond Mint from a very generous MUA'er. I used the Sweet Almond Mint last night and I have to say that I am seriously impressed. I was very skeptical of this "cleasing conditioner" b/c the entire line is obviously a spin-off of the new "anti-sulfate" trend that Hollywood is embracing (although Dean claims to have been using such a concoction for years now... who knows).... and the ingredients looked pretty standard.

Now, I'm not a straight-up CO'er, but I do like to alternate CWC with CO. For CO I usually use many of the favorites found at LHC: VO5 Kiwi Lime Condish, WREB, Suave Tropical Coconut, Suave Milk & Honey. I've also used DevaCurl One Condition, No Poo, and Low Poo. I honestly have to say that the Wen Sweet Almond Mint cleansed my hair and scalp better than any of the above. When I CO, my scalp usually feels quite greasy by late the next day and my hair gets very weighty (which is why I alternate CO with CWC). However, the Sweet Almond Mint left my hair very bouncy with a lot of volume and so shiny. The curls were also enhanced. Only one other conditioner has left me with my curls more enhanced right out of the shower and that is KMS Curl Up Curl Hydrator.

At this point, I can probably squeeze about 3 more uses out of the samples I have left. I only need about 1Tbsp. of product to coat all of my hair, so a 16oz bottle would probably last me a very long time if I decide to order. I have a more detailed review in my journal, but I just wanted to post my opinion on this thread as well.
Old December 28th, 2006, 05:44 PM   #17
jeisa
Long Hair Admirer

Length: 11/20/25
Type: 1a//
Trader Rating: 0

I'm Chaz Dean's niece, actually, and I have been using some "form" of this product ever since I was a baby. He has put years and years into developing a conditioner that does not strip your hair of its natural oils, color, etc. so that you could dismiss the entire idea of a shampoo and its damaging contents.

I will be honest. At first (when he came out with WEN) I did not like it, and I was his own family! I would secretly use herbal essences while I was at home, but EVERY time I went into his studio he was able to tell that I hadn't been using his product by the way my hair looked and felt.

I have to say that this product is VERY worth it. Especially Cucumber Aloe. I refuse to use ANYTHING but it. I have very long, thick uncurly hair. It really is Chaz's gift to mankind. If you use it correctly (there is an informational video on his site) and you do not use any other products, you will notice how much healthier your hair and scalp becomes in only a few days. It's great, and it's so disappointing for people to be turned away just because of the price. It's worth every penny.
Old December 28th, 2006, 05:50 PM   #18
jeisa
Long Hair Admirer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula
The "about WEN" part of the website seems to suggest (stops just short of actually claiming that) this salon invented CO washing - doubtful. The site also advertises the salons services - damaging ones such as coloring, highlighting, perming, and blowdrying, as well as the supposedly healthy and natural products. This points away from the idea that they're looking to promote healthy, natural hair.

Just to let you know, they really do promote healthy hair there. They don't use curling irons or flat irons because it damages hair. They don't use bleach in ANY of their products, and actually use color that is GOOD for your hair. When people come in and ask for a perm, they actually try to talk people out of it (my mother wanted one for the longest time, and my uncle wouldn't give it to her) either.

Anna Kournakova (spelling?) also came in to get her hair styled for an event and she wanted her color done. She wanted her hair so light that it would have required bleach, but my Uncle wouldn't let her because it is too damaging.

So before you assume things, I'd really check your sources.
Old December 29th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #19
Dyan
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 19"/23"?/term?
Type: 1a/1b/F/i/ii

I love Wen. I realize that some people don't and that some will say that I can get the same results with CO washing. I also realize that it has a 'cone in it, which some prefer to avoid. And yes, it's expensive.

But I love it. NOTHING made a difference in my hair before I switched to Wen. I was so thrilled to see my hair looking like hair rather than dry straw that I started looking for an alternative to chemical dye and ultimately switched to henna. Henna and Wen together made a MAJOR difference and that encouraged me to look for more ways to improve my hair, which lead me to this site and to the Long Hair Loom. Both sites provided even more information, and now I have the best hair that I have had in literally years. I've even re-discovered my long-lost hope of having long hair.

And it all started with Wen.

Last edited by Dyan : December 29th, 2006 at 01:00 PM.
Old December 29th, 2006, 01:20 PM   #20
Eboshi
Long Hair Guru

Length: 20.5"/33.5"/39"
Type: 2a/F/ii
Trader Rating: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeisa
I have very long, thick uncurly hair.
Your profile states that you currently have 20 inches of hair.

Quote:
it's so disappointing for people to be turned away just because of the price. It's worth every penny.
Since he's your uncle, why not work with him to lower the price then? Looking at the ingredient listing, I honestly don't see anything there that would justify such a high price. Additionally, it contains 'cones, I wouldn't let that get within 20 feet of my hair.

This is a community here, why not get to know us all a little better before you start shilling.

Circe offering the Cup to Ulysses
by John W. Waterhouse, 1891
Old December 29th, 2006, 01:40 PM   #21
hairhappy
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 14 in/19 in/30
Type: 4a//

Maybe QVC will have a sale on it soon and we all can try it. The price is too much for now.
Old December 29th, 2006, 01:48 PM   #22
Ursula
Long Hair Guru

Length: 32/39/?
Type: 2c/M/iii
Trader Rating: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeisa
Just to let you know, they really do promote healthy hair there. They don't use curling irons or flat irons because it damages hair. They don't use bleach in ANY of their products, and actually use color that is GOOD for your hair. When people come in and ask for a perm, they actually try to talk people out of it (my mother wanted one for the longest time, and my uncle wouldn't give it to her) either.

Anna Kournakova (spelling?) also came in to get her hair styled for an event and she wanted her color done. She wanted her hair so light that it would have required bleach, but my Uncle wouldn't let her because it is too damaging.

So before you assume things, I'd really check your sources.
The website, at the time I made the previous post, said they did highlighting. If they're doing highlighting, they're causing damage. If they've come to realise this in the meantime and stopped using the damaging technique, that's good. But as long as they were doing highlighting, saying they didn't use damaging techniques was simply untrue.

Without knowing the specific color formulas used, I'm skeptical that they are only using colors that are good for the hair. Henna is good for some people's hair, but not everyones, some people find that they don't like the textural changes that go with henna. Other, non-herbal formulas, I've heard even more mixed reports on.

Part of this is that, as a person who's been here (LHC) for a while and who's seen a lot of people with hair damaged by products that the salon claimed were non-damaging, I don't think that the standards for "non-damaging" as taught by the salon and hair styling industry have anything to do with actually not damaging hair.

Discouraging someone from damaging processes such as perms, highlights, etc. is nice, but it doesn't show any particular genius at hair care, beyond the common sense you see every day here. I don't see any more reason to believe a claim made about a product by a stylist who discouraged damaging procedures than I would believe the same claim made by an ordinary person who has shown a minimum amount of common sense. If someone here said they knew a product that was ideal for every hair type, I wouldn't believe them, either.

There are a lot of products sold which are pretty ordinary, but have flashy packaging and exotic claims used to justify an extraordinary price. And there are some claims that are clear warning signs of trouble. Saying that a product is ideal for all hair is the big one. A single product that does the trick for everything from 1a/F/i hair to 4b/C/iii, and everything in between, just isn't possible. There are just too many difference in how hair reacts to products to make a single product for everyone. Even SMT isn't ideal for all hair types, and that has more actual reports of success by people with long hair than anything else I've ever heard of. Someone making that claim either doesn't understand the differences in hair, or does understand, but doesn't care if their product actually does the customer good. And because the claim obscures the actual qualities of the product, which would let a savvy customer figure out whether it is actually good for them, it's just as well to skip that product and go on to ones that provide ample and specific information.

I have absolutely no idea who the person is you mentioned in your last paragraph. From the pictures I found googling the name, that person's hair is neither particularly long nor particularly healthy-looking. Rather average, in terms of length and health in the pictures, but nothing I'd point to as an example of really great, healthy, and natural long hair. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.
How long is your hair? *** Ursula's Braid 911 *** Shampoo Detergents: They're all good, but which one is good for you?
Worried about computer security? Dance the Security Tango!

Last edited by Ursula : December 30th, 2006 at 06:29 AM.
Old December 29th, 2006, 07:56 PM   #23
jeisa
Long Hair Admirer

My hair is to the small of my back. Right above my waist. I asked my friend how long she thought it was and that's what she said (20inches). i just estimated. Sorry about that! And you know, it's not the same product. There are four different types that are targeted towards different types of hair.
Old December 29th, 2006, 11:55 PM   #24
ACEerCP
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 12/17.25/BSL+
Type: 1c/2a/C/i

FWIW, myself and my SO have been using WEN since October and I really do love it. I've gone back to Suave and others from time to time and it just doesn't match up for my kind of hair. I don't use it exclusively but I do use it quite a bit. I've done tests where I have and have not used the WEN and I do notice a big difference between using my old Suave CO or doing a CWC-type rinse. I also tried DevaCurl No Poo...UGH! Gave that to the SO! What I notice about the WEN is that it rinses light and clean, much easier *for me* than other CO methods did. I don't spend forever rinsing and maybe doing an ACV rinse as I did with Suave, but my hair tends to hang onto products tenaciously. Does it build up for me? A little. Then again absolutely everything does for me and it just takes one 'poo to fix it. I also found that while I grow out the last shards of some EXTREME damage I do need a heavier 'cone laden condish on the ends. Doing no leave in or using the pump of WEN as a leave in didn't work for me (and I have all four varieties). No big deal...I just moved onto something else.

I actually didn't use WEN tonight and (Suave Orange Smoothie instead) and I'm regretting it. The more I use the WEN the less it responds to just the plain basic Suave and I get better results with the WEN.

Is it worth the price? YES, it is much more expensive than your bottle of Suave or WR. Is it worth every cent in comparison? If Suave or WR is working for you, then not really. If they aren't working for you and other alternatives don't as well....but WEN does...then IMHO it's worth it. I'm in the marketing field and long ago realized the best way to deal with my different worldview on products was to accept that for some things I *am* paying for the indulgent, luxurious feeling I may get using them. I'm paying extra for that, so I'm going to enjoy it and not stress out about it. My big passion within marketing is emotional branding, so I usually end up dissecting ad and product claims on that level before I even get the urge to buy I tell my girlfriends to enjoy their luxury cosmetics rather than stress about if "it's worth it." Are most luxury goods worth every cent of the "luxury" premium you pay? Nah. You're paying for feeling special much of the time, with an added dash of extra $ for more expensive ingredients and more time-consuming production/research costs (for some products at least). You know what though? If you enjoy that $30 body wash or $25 conditioner and it makes you look and feel great, run with it. Does expensive always equal better? Not at all! But if said product makes you feel like a queen to use, makes your skin butter soft, or your hair wonderful, I always tell my friends not to stress about the cost and just ENJOY that product to the fullest! It makes my life a lot easier looking at higher-cost items with this view because so much of the "hype" is transparent due to my career and how it colors my worldview. Okay, I'm off my soapbox, I just needed to say that

I did learn about WEN from the QVC boards and learned a decent amount about Dean's studio through women there who know him and go to his salon. I am impressed with a lot of his "hair ethics" and there were some impressive before/afters on the board. That does make me feel better about the price and the product since so many stylist and salon products are impersonal and without any sort of background. If I am going to pay extra for a salon product it's nice to know it's going to a company with people who have treated their clients well and are fighting a good fight against severely processed hair. I knew so much about WEN and Dean before I ordered I felt like I knew him personally, LOL! A lot of people on those boards struggle with the price but women who love WEN say they spend less money in the long run by not using 'poo or other styling products. Doesn't work that way for me unfortunately and that probably doesn't apply to a lot of us who have been CO and using alternative leave-ins for a long time.

So in regards to WEN, if you're in the mood to try something new, you have the cash, and/or the other options aren't working for you, I give it the thumbs up from personal use. Hair is way too variable to say it will or won't work for everyone or that it is or isn't better than a cheaper option. I personally prefer it over Suave now since it leaves my hair in a more fluid, supple shape than the Suave did, it makes traveling easy (since I'd make a cocktail of Suave and several other ingredients to get it to work the best on my hair!), and frankly I enjoy using the product because it feels...gives an impression of being...more pampering The bottles look great in my shower, the products have a nice scent, and it makes showering a little more spa-like. So that's worth the extra cost since I get such good results, but that's just my own opinion on it. If your first thought is that the price is insane, it's OK. It's a great product but it's not the only one out there to try. If you're curious about it and your budget allows, I do give it a thumbs up. It's also great for getting people to try CO when they're beyond skeptic. A couple friends of mine refused to try CO until I showed them WEN and the website for it..somehow it seemed more legit then :P and then they started using Suave with great results.

Once I found out about WEN's ingredients, I tried adding some of them to my usual CO cocktail, like glycerin, aloe vera gel, etc. It did help the CO along but I still didn't get as good of results as I did with WEN itself :/

Oh well, I have some major insomnia and I'm writing a treatise here but I wanted to give my two cents. Thumbs up if you have the budget, your current regime isn't working well for you, and/or you feel OK with using a product at this price point. Thumbs down if the price makes you recoil (although I will admit you don't need to use as much as with other CO, IMHO) and/or you're happy with your current routine. I've had great results myself. Yeah, I do wish it was $15 or something, I won't lie! But since Suave (and all the others I've tried...a huge list) was giving me sketchy results and I have a lot more consistant results with the WEN, I can't say much. The QVC boards have a lot of women who are faithful to it (and a decent amount for whom it doesn't work, too!) so I decided to take the plunge on it, and I'm glad I did, FWIW I'm absolutely not exclusively high or low-end anything. I enjoy more expensive products (if they work!) for what they are worth but if I can find something that works as well cheaper, you better believe I'll get that! A lot of salon products are rotten from my experience and not worth the money, but a handful are superb....same with lower-cost stuff as well! And if something works great that is $$$$ there's always eBay, swapping, or bargain shopping with Froogle I love getting Chanel makeup off of eBay for so much less than the store! Nothing beats finding something cheap that works awesome though! I just haven't found anything for less cost that gives me results like WEN has so far, so I'm sticking with it. If it's out of a price range that someone's comfortable with, I wouldn't lose sleep over it either...Suave or WR works great for more people than not!

Hope that helps someone a little
*Going low-product - no leave-ins or styling aids for curls!
*Henna relaxed my curls to a 2a (a good yet a bad thing)
*Regular scalp oilings with jojoba, rosemary, Mane n Tail Groom, Rogaine, Sweet Success, emu, and various others
*MSM - 2-6,000 mg a day - Lugol's iodine, what a lifesaver!

~*~*311 UNITY!*~*~

Last edited by ACEerCP : December 30th, 2006 at 12:09 AM.
Old December 30th, 2006, 07:00 AM   #25
Dyan
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 19"/23"?/term?
Type: 1a/1b/F/i/ii

I've been thinking about the cost issue since I posted, and I'd like to second what ACEerCP said. To me, it's simple ............. My hair is something that I have to look at several times a day. In the morning as I get ready for the day, every time that I something as simple as washing my hands (there's that darned restroom mirror) and in the evening as I ready for bed. And those are just the times that I'm aware of it. There's also the many times that I'm checking my rear view mirror in the car and catch a glimpse of me.

So if a product makes me feel better about what I see in the mirror, then I honestly couldn't care less how much it costs.

Besides, and I am not speaking for anyone else here.............. but when I consider how much I'm spending every month on vitamins and supplements to improve the quality of my hair, on hair-friendly toys and hair sticks, on horn combs and boar bristle brushes, on silk pillow cases to protect my hair as I sleep, on oil to condition my ends and scalp ............ some how cutting corners on the cost of what I use to clean my hair seems beyond silly. *smiles and shrugs*
Old December 30th, 2006, 07:22 AM   #26
talullah
Long Hair Guru

Length: ??/25/waist
Type: 2a/F/iii

Just poking in here to say that I think Wen is an amazing product. I know the ingredients are pretty ordinary, so it must be something about the way they're combined that makes it a lot more special than it seems on paper. It's the most moisturizing CO condish I've used. Actually it's the only condish I could ever get to work for CO. It also makes a great leave-in. And the scent alone is probably worth the price!

That being said, I just can't afford it. I like to wash my hair frequently (every other day) and I needed a lot of the product to CO my hair. At the rate I was using it, I would have used up the entire bottle in less than three weeks. Including tax and shipping, that's $34 dollars for less than three weeks--way out of my price range. BUT, if I ever start making some money, I'll go right back to it.

I can't explain why the ingredients are so wonderful. It looks pretty ordinary on paper, I agree. But it isn't. Trust me on this one! (Obligatory disclaimer: All hair is different; your mileage may vary!)
Old December 30th, 2006, 07:58 PM   #27
rosepetal
Long Hair Guru

Type: 1a/F/i
Trader Rating: 6

I have tried Wen in the past. COing with a Wen conditioner is not much different than COing with Suave. However, I prefer Suave to the Wen conditioners, as they contain silicones, and I get better results with Suave.

Wen is great for shaving your legs though.
Old January 4th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #28
Loops
Long Hair Devotee

Type: 1b//

Like Talullah I only really use Wen as a leave-in. I wash EVERY day so use other stuff for the cleansing part. Can't say yet about build-up (which is my main concern) coz I've done too much experimenting recently with other things but I'm about to do a stint using this as a leave-in every day so I'll let you all know. I would think, apart from the price, this is people's main worry?

Anyhow - I think it would be possible to make your own version of Wen - there aren't really any magical ingredients in there apart from the cone which for some people like me, does seem to be magical in preventing tangles and promoting softness. I still don't understand how this won't build up though, but right now nothing is giving me nice hair so I'll do this experiment.