Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : My forehead's huge!

Golden Mermaid
January 9th, 2004, 08:57 AM
My forehead is the size of Texas! (No disrespect to Texas.) It's AWFUL.
And my hairline makes a slanted line across my forehead. I've been thinking about this for 2 weeks and I'm read to get wispy bangs to try and hide it some. Here's a pic with my snood from the front:
http://img11.photobucket.com/albums/v33/Alicia_Kendra/pict0040.jpgThis is why, when I post them on the Photo Board, the snood pics are starring my sister.
Gawl, Dad gave me his vision, his height, his hairline, and his teeth....:rolleyes:
Well, I'll edit this when I FINALLY get it uploaded....

Edited to change the name of this thread.

Cowgal
January 9th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Are you kidding me? :shock:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with your forehead! It doesn't look unusually large to me. And in case you haven't noticed- look in the fashion magazines- models usually have high foreheads.

I have a high forehead. I used to get the most horrible comments while I was in school and was SO self consious I would cry and cry and cry when I got home. I thought I was ugly because that's what all the boys told me. And now they all think I am pretty, so go figure. It's definately kept me modest! I could care LESS what anyone thinks about my looks. I have *finally* gotten comfortable with myself that I really don't care what anyone thinks, it's not worth it, I can't change how I look.. well I guess I could if I wanted to spend the $$, but that's besides the point!!! :D

Anyhow, you look fine to me! Before cutting bangs, if you are worried about your hairline, I would suggest doing a side part and then that might disguise your hairline better. I usually part my hair even when wearing a snood- it seems to hold better than if my hair is slicked back.

LisaJaney
January 9th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Aicia,
I see what you mean about the slanted hairline, but don't necessarily see that as a BAD thing; it's fascinating and adds interest and uniqueness to your face. I certainly don't think that your forehead is unnaturally big (Texas is enormous) and think that maybe the angle of the camera makes it look bigger than it really is? Parting your hair certain ways can help to camouflage the slanting hairline if you wish, draping it a little across here and there (probably on the higher side) to hide it if it bothers you. Or some SMALL wispies may help. THe thing with wispies/bangs is that they are nice for some things, butother times (hats, etc) are just a horrid nuisance........

Let us know what you decide. I really DO NOT think your forehead is too large. And I think the slanting hairline is kinda cool.

Golden Mermaid
January 9th, 2004, 09:32 AM
I'll try parting it, but I always wear it back. Some way, some how. And everyone always tells me I'm bald if I clip my growing out bits back with it. I think what I may do I wait til these annoying bits grow out to maybe...chin length and keep a bit of wispy there.
Still, I am seriously tempted to cut them.... ::grits teeth...I must not cut, I must not cut::

julieG
January 9th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Girl, you haven't even seen a high forehead until you've seen mine...

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Jan/2004191618012937886517.jpg

Its an old pic but illustrates my giant head well---I think I've got you beat :D :D

MissKim
January 9th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Since when are big foreheads unattractive? Look at Tyra Banks!

Alicia, I think you're beautiful. Everything about you makes you unique. Enjoy it! But if you want bangs, and they will make you feel better, do it! (Just make sure it's what you REALLY want because otherwise you'll be growing them out again!)

And JulieG, you're adorable, so shut up. :flowers:

Siobhan
January 9th, 2004, 10:21 AM
A highly classical Renaissance appearance Alicia, nothing amiss at all, I concur with all the above posts, you're not quite straight on to the camera either so I can't say theirs no wiggliness going on with the hairline, so what if there is we are not symetrical.

TwelveDreams
January 9th, 2004, 11:38 AM
You're in good company with the assymetrical hairline! I have a widow's peak (not large) and then a second smaller one an inch or so to the right. The center one is a cowlick into the bargain! I have a wide forehead too, but I think they always look worst in the mirror.
If you want bangs, my recommendation would be to look for a hairdresser with a face shape similar to your own; she's probably gone through the same 'forehead turmoil'. Bangs are tricky to cut and right where you see them all the time. If you're short on cash, maybe there is a stylist's school in your city; it's cheaper and the students are supervised. Best of luck whether you trim or not; I hope whatever you decide to do, you are wearing a happy smile in your next picture.

Axium
January 9th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Gotta agree with the others - your forehead is NOT unsually large at ALL, and a big so what on the slant, which I seriously doubt that most peeps would notice. I would say don't cut your hair, which is lovely, to mask what you perceive as your flaws. Try to embrace them. If you absolutely can't, and no offense, but you may grow into them as you age, so many things become us eventually...then bring it up again. But you're just obsessing on stuff you shouldn't be. You're FINE! :D

PS
You sure look pissed off, tho, and that never enhances anyone's appearance!

g_michelle
January 9th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Hi, Alicia! I want to add my *ditto* to the other posts. There is nothing unattractive about your forehead or your hairline! I always hated my forehead, as well, and that still has not changed! I envy other ladies who are able to wear their hair pulled back from the forehead. That was a trend when I went to junior high and high school.

Your current displeasure certainly does not justify that you would cut your hair to change the forehead. I have a small horseshoe cut into the top of my hair that I blowdry and style with a bit of hairstyling gel and hairspray. I like the lift in the styled hair.

I can hear your hormones moaning all the way to Texas, Honey! Please don't fret the small stuff, OK? (Smile for the camera, please!)

Hugs and smiles...

chamogirl
January 9th, 2004, 12:37 PM
your forehead is in proportion to the rest of your face but I see what you mean about your slanted hair line and I wouldn't have really paid close attention until you pointed it out. Maybe bangs would help that is a choice you will have to make. I do know there are fake bangs for sale but i don't know where they are sold, maybe if you tried some out you would know wether if you wanted to make that choice or not

RoseHannah
January 9th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Alicia,

I would try the side part for a while, and see if that makes a difference.

I think you have a beautiful forehead, and I am going to tell you what my grandmother told me when I was your age, and had horrible curly, floppy, bedraggled bangs, which I couldn't take care of and didn't know what to do with. I was trying to grow them our, or not, or whatever (I didn't really know what I was doing) from my mother cutting them way too short. My grandmother said, "You have a beautiful high forehead, and you should be proud of it!" which gave me the courage pull them back with little girls plastic headbands (very wierd and dorky when I was in 8th grade) and grow them out, resisting my mother's attempts to get me to trim them.

You are miles ahead of me- I had no clue how to take care of my hair until this year! and I am in my late 20s!

Your face has a very nice shape, and I think that the asymmetry adds some character and interest. Too many people spend too much time trying to look exactly like each other, and it is way cool to see people like the people on these boards who are being themselves, and not caring a lot whether they look like everyone else or not.

Here, have a hug <<hug>>

Gollan
January 9th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Back in 15th century ladies used to pluck their hairlines because a big forehead was considered sexy. In modern times I don't think anyone is looking for a girl whose hairline grows down to meet her eyebrow(s)! My wife is one of the most beautiful women around and she has a very high hairline. I've never given it much thought until just now.

I'm also going to say that web cameras don't take the most flattering or accurate pictures:

Web Cam
http://gollan.pwaresearch.com/hp/hp_july_23_2003_1_ps_320w.jpg

Regular Cam
http://gollan.pwaresearch.com/hp/hp_dec_03_front_200w.jpg

MissKim
January 9th, 2004, 01:13 PM
My wife is one of the most beautiful women around

That's such a sweet thing to say.....she's a very lucky gal! :love:

wtchmel
January 9th, 2004, 01:20 PM
I wouldn't say that your forehead is huge. There are so many more with big foreheads. I do think that some wispys or thin bangs would 'soften' your features, and make you look great, but then again, I'm a bang person ;) Good luck with your decision.

E.
January 9th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Dear,

I cannot make out any problem with your forehead I does not seem huge too me! But let me tell you, in Germany it is said that people with a huge forehead are very intelligent ;-)

CurlyLigeia
January 9th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Gosh I wish I could post a pic of my forehead! I have a very high forehead, which is a trait that runs on my fathers side of the family. My forehead has never bothered me despite some unflattering remarks from a few people over the years. :rolleyes: And like Cowgal said, most fashion models have high foreheads and look at the lovely women in classic paintings like those in Botticelli's. Everyone is beautiful when they love themselves and exude confidence despite seeing in themselves what they percieve as flaws. I think everyone has days when they really don't feel good about themselves and desire a change. Give yourself sometime to think about cutting bangs and make sure its what you want in the long run instead of just what you want today. :)

julieG
January 9th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Since when are big foreheads unattractive? Look at Tyra Banks!

Alicia, I think you're beautiful. Everything about you makes you unique. Enjoy it! But if you want bangs, and they will make you feel better, do it! (Just make sure it's what you REALLY want because otherwise you'll be growing them out again!)

And JulieG, you're adorable, so shut up. :flowers:

Aw thanks MissKim :D

SagittarianTiger
January 9th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Aww don't fret! I ditto all the other comments!
(including Miss Kim's about JulieG & to Gollan about his lucky wife! :love:)

But anyway, back on topic...
Alicia, sweetie.. when i was your age, all of 10 years ago (which geeze.. 10 years? doesn't seem that long..) kids told me i had a high ugly forehead, and I needed bangs,and that I was ugly. :twisted:
I always felt so ugly.. and my curls were unruly... so that added to my frustration..but then I had my grandma tell me "high foreheads mean you're intelligent, so use it! don't lose it!" :D Plus, she has a high forehead, and she is very pretty!

soo.. i don't think you have a huge forehead.... looks about the size of mine. *looks closer* :suspect: Yup.. just about. I've learned to live with it, and don't give it much thought, unless it's got some unsightly zit right in the middle of it! :scared:
THEN and only THEN do I wish for bangs! :D

(((hugs)))

Golden Mermaid
January 9th, 2004, 03:48 PM
But let me tell you, in Germany it is said that people with a huge forehead are very intelligent ;-)

YAY!

Anne
January 9th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Alicia, I've got a differnt hair line too and I agree with the others, it's not a bad thing. You've got a nice face and nothing wrong with your slanted hair line either.

Julie, I'm paying no attention to your comments about your forehead either! You're very pretty!

Gollan, you're just too cute!

Nothing wrong with any of you, so just knock it off ;)

:grouphug: repeat after me: I like myself.

Hugs,

Anne

dancingbarefoot
January 9th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Alicia, I think your forehead is well within 'normal' (whatever 'normal' means!) -- in fact, I can think of many people with much bigger foreheads. Not only that, but so what if your forehead is big/small/green? ;) It's one of those features that you have to accept, like the size of your ears or your feet.

(As for being the size of Texas... well, Texas is small fry! ;) )

whatevergirl
January 9th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Alicia...I'm sorry...I just don't see this at all http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/sad/533.gif http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/sad/1004.gif .....Really I don't , your forehead looks very normal to me, I think you are just adorable... http://www.techhelpers.net/e4u/animal/528.gif

Melusina
January 10th, 2004, 04:33 AM
I think your face looks quite a bit like Renoir's wife, Aline. Now if you look like the wife and favorite model of a famous Impressionist painter, obivously you are a pretty girl. Cut yourself some slack!

http://cgfa.sunsite.dk/renoir/p-renoir62.htm

http://www.zona-pellucida.com/renoir-mothernursing.html (this is a nursing-the-child pic, so everybody who may be squeamish, you are warned!)

http://www.mfa.org/artemis/fullrecord.asp?oid=33686&did=500

thinkfirst
January 10th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Alicia is having a "teen moment!"
That's what we will say when she says something disparaging about herself. :undecided:
But, don't worry to much about that.
Its so normal and so you are right on track. Everything is going just the way it should. Keep in your memory these difficult and painful times because part of the journey is that you must reach out to another person when they are struggling thru the same path you have just traveled and encourage them.

As I look at your photo with snood, I see three things - just facts.
Your hairline does appear to be uneven, your face appears to be an oval shape and you have deep set eyes.

It's all your choice what to do with those facts. You can feel sorry for yourself about any of those, or you can be thankful and use them to your advantage.

With an oval shape you can have bangs or not and it should be great. Now is the time to experiment with bangs of different lengths and have fun with all sorts of styles. You might cut bangs into your hair many many times in your life for one reason or another. But a poor reason would be to "hide" something. Have bangs for a fresh change in your look or to try something new. Then growing them out will give you several years of having to try new and different hairtoys. Its all good on you - bangs or no.

Having an uneven hairline will give you the motivation to try a different part or different hairtoys in front or on the side. Gollan's got quite an uneven hairline and he is using a side part to give a very unique look. I like it. Again, having the oval shape gives you lots of options.

And for those deep set eyes - when/if you choose to use makeup, a little bit of shadow in the right spot will make them very unique and exotic -looking. A little! When your ready. Maybe 13 is too young. 14 or 15 is good.

Then only thing missing is a smile! We'd love to see another pix when you try some of these things with a part or hairtoys and smile! We love and support you all the way.

TwelveDreams
January 10th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Thinkfirst! Where were you when I was thirteen? Fifteen? Twenty-one? Thirty? Forty-seven?

CurlyKitten
January 10th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Alicia, I part my hair on either side, and wear my hair up almost every day. I do a lot of low/lower buns, and twists and such and it works fine. I think it gives a sort of *style* to my look. I also do side parts with french braids, pigtails, all sorts of stuff. You just have to practice and get creative. I'll part my hair on the side, then angle the part so that it moves towards the middle, then continue parting down the middle (if the style calls for that). So if you decide to try a side part with up-dos, just know that it's possible 8)
Also, your forehead is NOT big, and I can't tell if the slanted hairline is due to the way your head is tilted, or an actual slanted forehead. That said, I agree with everyone else who thinks that you should embrace your differences, they make you unique! I have a gap in my front teeth which I love, oddly shaped eyebrows (I have never seen any like them) and a million other quirks, but that is me! I don't want to look like everyone else :P

Mop
January 10th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Ditto the high forehead/intelligence comment; that was the belief in our family too. :D Also ditto what someone else said re being tired of seeing women who all look alike. I just got back from the gym; I swear, sometimes it reminds me of Agent Smith, seeing all these girls with the same shape, same clothes, and same hair all lined up on the treadmills. Or maybe Robert Palmer's "Addicted to Love" video. :wethree:

Experiment with bangs if you want to, but don't feel like you "have" to have them. You've already shown you're capable of swimming against the tide by wearing snoods. :thumbsup:

scarlett
January 10th, 2004, 04:08 PM
All I can say is Helen Hunt. Nobody has a forehead higher than hers and she is beautiful!

You look very clean and classic. Just charming. Luv the snood BTW

Dvips
January 10th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Ditto with everyone about the normal appearance of your forehead and the think-twice-before-you-cut-bangs advice. I too have a "towering brow" and go back and forth with bangs. Bangs are so annoying with respect to weather. Strangely enough, I don't mind how I look in person without bangs, but I don't like the way it looks in photos. Isn't that odd?

Cheers!

RedButterfly
January 12th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Don't worry, you have a lovely face. Your forehead and hair line are fine.

I also have a tall forehead. I go back and forth between bangs and no-bangs. So I know how you feel.

Yes, you do look a lot like Renoir's beautiful wife. :) If she and Helen Hunt can carry off tall foreheads, we all can. :)