Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Tips for keeping hair off the floor?

LeaM07
May 25th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Anyone have any special tips or tricks for keeping stray hair contained? Every time I brush or style or whatever, it gets everywhere (the floor, the rug, the sink, hanging on the toilet paper holder from where it didn't make it into the trash can). Spraying a styling product of some sort is also nice for gluing it to cabinets, baseboards, etc. :silly:

I try to contain it some by brushing over the bathtub, since I can more easily see the hairs to pick them up afterward, but I like to be in front of the mirror at least some of the time to see what I'm doing.

Any advice? Should I just keep a broom and dustpan in my bathroom? Anyone else tracking it into the bedroom and burning out vacuum cleaner motors?

Surely I'm not the only one with this problem... :wink:

breezefaerie
May 25th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Oh, I would LOVE some tips for this as well!
My hair is the shortest hair in the house, my SO's hair is BSL, thick and dark brown. Between the two of us we shed enough to knit a pony.

Parijata
May 25th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Those swiffer cloths, or the cheaper knockoffs, work really well at collecting hair. Also, central vacuums are a godsend. The motors are too beefy to care.

Carolyn
May 25th, 2007, 10:31 AM
You could do what I do :wink: I don't worry about and I rarely bother to vacuum so I don't burn out too many motors. My hair collects with all the dog's hair and I just pick up the big puff balls of it now and then. All you have to do is lower your housekeeping standards and it won't be a problem anymore. :agree:

missmanytoes
May 25th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Or you could let your hubby pick it up. Mine complains, but when he uses the bathroom after me he does pick up the hair. According to him I shed more than 2 dogs and the cat combined!

Book-Worm
May 25th, 2007, 10:48 AM
I use (well my DH does) a little hand held vacuum cleaner, it comes in handy if you have any pets too.

Book-Worm

Beldaran
May 25th, 2007, 10:49 AM
To keep my shed hair off of the floor, I vacuum. To not burn out motors, I clean the vacuum out when it needs it. The only other option is to have your hair in a braid/bun constantly, and only take it down and comb it when you're outside. :silly:

readingfae
May 25th, 2007, 10:50 AM
I have the same problem... I brush and its all over the place... i can't find a spot it didn't hit.

I did notice that I didn't have the problem as much when I used the "ouchless" brush... Goody Ouchless(R) hairbrush Only pic I can find is the breast cancer one, but.. I got mine at wal-mart..
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e142/needmorezoloft/forum/nl_05_10_goody.jpg

When I use that it seams like I have less hair all over the place, maybe my hair just likes it better. I've also started COWCO, and when I do that I only finger comb a little bit in the shower IF I need it, which I usually don't, and then I don't have to brush at all... but that's just me.

ETA.. oh, I also find if I keep my brushes clean, that seams to help more for some reason.

LeaM07
May 25th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Between the two of us we shed enough to knit a pony.
:rollin:

Those swiffer cloths, or the cheaper knockoffs, work really well at collecting hair.

Oh, great idea... I use those for wood floors, but they're bound to be good for this also... :grin:

I use (well my DH does) a little hand held vacuum cleaner, it comes in handy if you have any pets too.

Another good idea... just bought one of those, actually... that would work for the rug too...

To keep my shed hair off of the floor, I vacuum. To not burn out motors, I clean the vacuum out when it needs it.

Me too (on carpet, anyway)... which usually involves turning the vacuum upside down and cutting the hairs off with scissors and/or disassembling it with a screwdriver to remove the roller so I can dig out the hairs on each end that aren't easily accessible from the outside. Not doing the second part is what I think burned out the motor on my last one (now I know :graduate:).

readingfae, I use a similar brush and clean it out after I use it, which does help... also cleaning it out over the tub (especially if there are still a few drops of water there) makes it easier to bunch together so more of it makes it all the way to the trash can.

Thanks for the ideas, everybody, I'll be trying them out! :flowers:

Tabitha
May 25th, 2007, 01:10 PM
I scuff along the carpet with my feet. I have one particular pair of trainers (sneakers to you USers) that is particularly good at gathering the hair into clumps that are easy to pick up and throw in the bin.

truepeacenik
May 25th, 2007, 01:11 PM
ahh, here is the advantage of the postage stamp bathroom.
I use my bare feet to roll all the hair into a ball, pick it up with my toes and plop in the loo or trash can.

epiphanee
May 25th, 2007, 01:18 PM
I use a dry pair of rubber gloves, the kind you use for washing dishes, to quickly collect fallen hairs. Just put the gloves on and run your hands gently along the floor or carpet. Hairs will be collected quickly and efficiently, ready to dispose.

sapphire-o
May 25th, 2007, 01:22 PM
This is my mom's trick: if you've got anything with sticky backing, like peeled off labels, packing tape, used pantyliners and pads (assuming it's not dripping)... :D Press the sticky part all over the bathroom floor. Even a small sticky label can pick up quite a few hair before you discard it. I don't always remember to do that, though. I have a bath mat that's pretty rough and attract hair. It seems all the hairs in the bathroom eventually end up on that so I only pick them off the bath mat. :) Oh and I don't shed much hair outside shower so that helped.

LeaM07
May 25th, 2007, 01:25 PM
I use a dry pair of rubber gloves, the kind you use for washing dishes, to quickly collect fallen hairs. Just put the gloves on and run your hands gently along the floor or carpet. Hairs will be collected quickly and efficiently, ready to dispose.

Ooh... I like that one too... nice... :)

embee
May 25th, 2007, 01:53 PM
You could do what I do :wink: I don't worry about and I rarely bother to vacuum so I don't burn out too many motors. My hair collects with all the dog's hair and I just pick up the big puff balls of it now and then. All you have to do is lower your housekeeping standards and it won't be a problem anymore. :agree:

Ha ha ha! :) A lady after my own heart! When I see it collecting I'll get out my broom and sweep the floor - bath, dining area, kitchen. And gather it all up - cat hair, my hair, bits of outdoor detritus, and usually have a dustpan *full* for the trash!

Only drawbacks: I don't like going barefoot in my house any longer... I get hair caught on my feet, in my toes.. And it's awful if the cats get ahold of a loooooooooooong hair. :(

So I'm sweeping fairly frequently. But that only takes a moment. :)

ShadowNjord
May 25th, 2007, 01:57 PM
This is my mom's trick: if you've got anything with sticky backing, like peeled off labels, packing tape, used pantyliners and pads (assuming it's not dripping)... :D Press the sticky part all over the bathroom floor. Even a small sticky label can pick up quite a few hair before you discard it. I don't always remember to do that, though. I have a bath mat that's pretty rough and attract hair. It seems all the hairs in the bathroom eventually end up on that so I only pick them off the bath mat. :) Oh and I don't shed much hair outside shower so that helped.

A used pad? dripping? Bad mental image hahaah. I would try the back of an un used one but thats about it lol..

I just wish I could keep more of my hair in my head instead of out.

ladiosaRosa
May 25th, 2007, 02:55 PM
I vaccuum regularly and have never burned one out; there's plenty of hair in my home. DH has long hair, I do and I have 3 (now 4) cats.

Darya
May 25th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Hmmmm.... keep it up all the time and only de-tangle out of doors? :wigtongue: Seriously, I detangle over my carpet, then gather the hairs with my fingers (or toes) and toss them. EVERY time I vacuum (which isn't often :shrug: ) I then take a pair of scissors (or seam-rippers) and attack the entire head of hair that has wrapped itself around the beater bar :shake: I lost one vacuum motor to the nasty hair ball from a-very-hot-place and am trying not to let this one be martyred to the cause.
Darya

PseudoScot
May 25th, 2007, 04:33 PM
I try to stand still when combing so only certain 'zones' get hair. I vacuum often but still get the hair ball clumps. Best way to tell when it's time to vacuum is walk around barefoot - you'll notice the hairs right away! :scared:

Oh, and I also slow the comb down as I reach the ends and remove with my fingers [gently] the loose hairs and put those straight in the bin!

Chromis
May 25th, 2007, 05:57 PM
I comb in front of my dry bathroom sink and then scoop the hairs out. Note: this does not work in a wet sink! Woe betide me if I forget to put my hair up *efore* I brush my teeth :scared:

I also chose to live with wooden floors, though my lease is coming up and I'm having a hard time finding another place with them in the area I'm moving next *pout*

velvetcat
May 25th, 2007, 06:57 PM
I try to remember to detangle in the bathroom (dark hair shows up well against white tile). Take braid out when I get up. Detangle. Put hair in updo for the day. Take down, detangle and put in braid for sleep.

This works out pretty well, except I'm prone to taking my updos down at work and running my hands through my hair when I'm stressed. Luckily the carpet there is that low "business" carpet, and it's easy to just run my hands over the carpet and pick up loose hairs.

Vacuum still suffers though, because everyone in the house has long hair, and I'm the only one who contains it.

LaMenta3
May 25th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Give up! You'll forever be finding hairs and hairballs. My hair has been long most of my life, and I've used just about every trick mentioned already. It can help get it under control, but you'll never completely get all of the hair up and keep it up.

The best advice I can give you is to rake up as much hair out of your carpet as you can with either your fingers or those weird rubber broom things that are made for such things, toss out the hairballs, then vacuum. After vacuuming (or perhaps even once or twice before you're done), be sure to clean the hair out of the rotary brush using either scissors or a seam ripper. Resign yourself to the fact that no matter how often you vacuum, you'll likely have to do this every time. Also remember that vacuums work just about as well on hard floors as they do on carpets. Following this initial purge of as much hair as you can, vacuum at least once per week from then on. Remember to clean out the brush!

You can also try to confine all of your hair messing to one room and attempt to get all of the sheds you catch into the trash can. This only helps marginally, though.

hrimfaxi
May 26th, 2007, 12:57 PM
If you have a pair of Crocs (those weird-looking foam rubber shoes), they are THE BEST thing ever at being staticky and therefore collecting hair/cat hair/lint/everything. I am pretty convinced I clean up most of the hair around the house just by wearing them as house shoes.

gordonse
May 26th, 2007, 03:31 PM
I haven't found a good way yet. My husband does the vacuming, and he has to cut the hair out. We're always finding long hairs all over the place.