Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Does anyone get 'hair headaches'?

carousel266
April 28th, 2007, 12:07 AM
In the past when I have grown my hair, I get to a certain point when I start to suffer from headaches due to the weight of my hair. I don't have overly thick hair, but whenever I put it in a ponytail or a bun, I started to get aching on my scalp, and sometimes for a day or two afterwards it would feel like my scalp was bruised!

I have been growing it out again for my wedding, and I am starting to suffer from the headaches again :( Is there any styles I can use that will keep my hair off my face without having the weight, and without dystroying my hair with bobby pins (rip my hair). I know I should probably be using different hair clips?!

Am I alone? Maybe I'm just weird?!

chotee
April 28th, 2007, 12:25 AM
My mother in law used to get hair headaches and she had long thick hair. She used to tell me that she washed her hair in the evening due to lack of time and slept with wet hair. Scalp can absorb water and can feel heavy after a while. And yes, tight ponytails can be a cause too. Try putting plaits or braids(two is even better). ...
chotee

artemis
April 28th, 2007, 03:22 AM
High ponytails always give me a headache. When I first started bunning my hair, I'd get a headache, but I think it was because I was uncomfortable with the style and would hold my neck all funny because I was afraid my sticks or bobby pins were going to fall out.

How long is your hair? I can do a bun that doesn't require any hair sticks or bobby pins and will hold all day, but I couldn't do it until my hair was almost waist length. My hair's not all that thick, though.

quidscribis
April 28th, 2007, 05:11 AM
You know, it's funny. My mil would tell my husband that his headaches were caused by his hair, but she never suggested that to me for my headaches, despite us having the same length of hair... Hmm, could it be because she wanted him to cut his hair????? :lol:

ctx
April 28th, 2007, 05:26 AM
My wife sometimes get a headache too!

mlsnts
April 28th, 2007, 05:33 AM
edited/deleted

embee
April 28th, 2007, 07:19 AM
I only get headaches when I put my hair up in a really high ponytail/bun

What she said! And it can take several *days* for me to get over that, too. Bummer. I think if I were to tough it out and keep wearing the high bun the pain would fade... my scalp would readjust. There was a time (some years ago) when I *always* wore my hair up in a high "do", and I *never* had a "hair-ache". Now I almost always wear my hair in a low bun or wrapped braid and a high "do" will give me a long lasting hair-ache in an hour or so.

I've hear that if one starts with wet hair (just washed, wet scalp) this problem will not occur. Don't know. Never tried that.

Pegasus Marsters
April 28th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Yeah, I definately do... and it's part of my motivation to cut. I cant really wear anything except ponytails now and they pull and my hair tangles.

dancingbarefoot
April 28th, 2007, 07:33 AM
I'm confused - do you get headaches or an achy scalp?

Linnea
April 28th, 2007, 07:59 AM
I tend to get "scalp-ache" (not head ache), if my hair has been to long in high updo, not buns, but pony tails. And nearly allways from a half-up, that's why I don't prefere half-ups. Gentle scalp massage usually helps. :)

salamandra
April 28th, 2007, 08:05 AM
I'm confused - do you get headaches or an achy scalp?

Yes, I was wondering about that too....

I have achy scalp when I do any high, tight updo, and my hair isn't even long (21")!

Now, do you get an achy scalp just by letting your long hair hang all loose? If so, that's very scary and I hope that doesn't happen with me!!! :surprise:

Lady Godiva
April 28th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Not headaches from my hair, and that's hard to imagine, because hair weighs very little (unless wet). My hair is thick and floor length, and yet it doesn't weigh a pound yet, although it's closing on that.

Updos can pull if my scalp is oily, which can cause a tender spot. Washing my scalp or redoing my updo are the solutions.

I get neckaches due to my hair, but they're really not due to its weight. They're due to making quick head adjustments relating to fitting my head through the car window at the drive-thru ATM or drive-thru mailbox, or from tipping my head too much to find something packed away in a tight attic space. My updos take up space that sometimes I forget about and don't plan my movements before plunging into my task. :bonk: :silly:

soobie
April 28th, 2007, 08:40 AM
My scalp hurts if I put up my hair the wrong way. Sometimes if I put a ponytail or bun up too high, it bends the roots/follicles of my hair differently than they are used to, and it hurts until the next time I wash. It does feel like my scalp is bruised, and it hurts when my hiar moves.

freznow
April 28th, 2007, 08:49 AM
If it's a scalp ache, it's most likely from an updo or pony tail pulling.

If it's an actual headache, it's more likely from not drinking enough water or getting all the nutrients you need, or something like that.

Pegasus Marsters
April 28th, 2007, 08:51 AM
My scalp aches if I wear my hair the wrong way, but if I have a headache my hair gets in the way and aggrivates it. The worst time was when I had the flu in january and had a constant headache so bad it felt like my skull was being crushed... I couldn't do ANYTHING with my hair then.

Hibrida
April 28th, 2007, 09:20 AM
You're not alone. There can be muscle aches from carrying weight in an unaccustomed fashion. I once added a string of onyx beads to my braid, worn high. There *were* muscle aches. I can imagine exactly the same thing happening with only hair, if one is not accustomed to wearing it high or off to only one side.

Twin tails ("puppy ears") would hurt my scalp after I'd not worn them for 5 years or so.

A too-tight band around the head will also give a headache, either from general tightness or from pressure points. I learned this with a metal circlet. Measuring ones head is helpful, but it's not *all*. The circlet must then be shaped for the wearer (usually somewhere closer to oval). There must also be allowance made for hair up or hair down and for any other layers under the circlet (i.e. medieval veil). If everything doesn't fit perfectly, there will be a headache. When all fits, it's as natural as breathing.

Hibrida

In the past when I have grown my hair, I get to a certain point when I start to suffer from headaches due to the weight of my hair. I don't have overly thick hair, but whenever I put it in a ponytail or a bun, I started to get aching on my scalp, and sometimes for a day or two afterwards it would feel like my scalp was bruised!

[clipped] I know I should probably be using different hair clips?!

Polyhex
April 28th, 2007, 09:23 AM
I do get real head and neck aches from small amounts of weight or pressure. I get a headache every time I wear a headband, or wear a necklace that is too heavy, or do something that involves a new weight distribution with my hair. A crown brain, despite having great weight distribution, tends to give me a massive headache because it's new. Muscles can be a cause of headaches: if they get inflamed, trigger points or tiny spasms can form inside the muscles and relay the feeling of pain. This is one of the reasons that botox therapy, which paralyzes facial, head, and neck muscles, can work for some migraine patients. (Unfortunately not for my husband.)

Carousel266, the one updo that never gives me any pain is a halfup where I take a forelock from in front of and above each ear and pull them back to secure behind my head with a little clip. Since it's such a small amount of hair, I can do it with a tiny, light clip. I worked this out after regular half-ups were giving me headaches. This keeps my hair out of my face but leaves the vast majority of my hair free. From the front it looks like my hair is pulled back but only those two forelocks are actually secured back. Like this:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/175/410538722_48dbf78735.jpg

salamandra
April 28th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Not headaches from my hair, and that's hard to imagine, because hair weighs very little (unless wet). My hair is thick and floor length, and yet it doesn't weigh a pound yet, although it's closing on that.

Updos can pull if my scalp is oily, which can cause a tender spot. Washing my scalp or redoing my updo are the solutions.

I get neckaches due to my hair, but they're really not due to its weight. They're due to making quick head adjustments relating to fitting my head through the car window at the drive-thru ATM or drive-thru mailbox, or from tipping my head too much to find something packed away in a tight attic space. My updos take up space that sometimes I forget about and don't plan my movements before plunging into my task. :bonk: :silly:

Wow, very interesting.

A friend of mine here in Brazil who once had very long hair also told me that: "you will have to re-learn how to move, and your point of balance will all change. It is a very weird thing, it is like having this huge tail."

Edit to add: she said she actually had a very hard time when she cut off her hair at shoulder length. That's when she realized how much long hair change our points of balance.

Madora
April 28th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Since I don't know the length of hair you're dealing with, I'd suggest (based on previous experience with my own hair) that you need to section your hair.

If you must ponytail (though I don't like them myself), then divide the ponytail in half. Coil one section of hair and create a bun around the ponytail base. Then take the other section and do likewise. In effect you're spreading the hair over a wider surface, rather than having one big bun around the ponytail.

Or, if your hair length allows, braid each section of the ponytail and create your bun that way.

Also, don't rely on bobby pins. You need HAIRPINS. Some have crimps and some don't. Weave the hairpin thru the bun (and some scalp hairs) for a secure fit (just don't pop them in the bun and expect the bun to stay secure all day).

If you find that your scalp is hurting because of tender hair follicles that have been held in a different position from your regular hairstyle, try gentle, slow finger massaging of the tender scalp area that hurt. Be sure and only use the pads of your fingertips.

Or, if all else fails, a half up, half down hairstyle might be the ticket.

Just remember the secret to having - and enjoying updos - is in the sectioning. The most distributed the hair is over or around the head, the more comfortable it will be to wear all day.

carousel266
April 28th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Wow thanks so much for everyone's replies!!

To try and answer all your questions:
It is mostly a 'scalp ache' although if I ever wear it in a really high, tight pony tail I get a headache across my forehead and temples, but obviously I avoid this hair style at all costs. When my hair used to be at its longest and giving me the most pain it was about BSL. Now its a lot shorter short, I haven't measured it yet cause its in curls at the moment, and its usually straight, but I'll give it a go now. About 14 inches at a rough measure, although I'm not sure if I'm measuring it properly - and a low bun will start to ache, this isn't a tight bun or anything.

Polyhex, that sounds like a good idea! I will try wearing my hair like that - I have layers at the moment so its a bit hard to get all the short bits back but I will give it a go!

Also I have a really oily scalp so I guess that contributes to it? Hopefully my new regime will calm it down a bit - my first goal is to stop washing my hair in steaming hot water (Its really cold here at the moment!!)

At least I know I'm not alone - I honestly can't imagine how some of you survive having your hair so long!! I am still in awe :grin:

Devon77
April 28th, 2007, 04:15 PM
I wear my hair like my pic below or like Polyhex said just the front. Any other style gives me a headach. I wish i could wear neat updos. oh well half ups will have to do. A low braid works as well.

AKHomemom
April 28th, 2007, 05:06 PM
This is a facination topic.

I have had headaches most of my life and some of them have been caused by the way in which I wear my hair but not really the hair itself.

I've found that if, when putting up my hair, the do is too tight and combine that with other factors that cause my headaches then I then have the perfect recipe for a headache. So when the factors are present for a headache I stay away from tight dos.

I'm learning what hair accessories will keep the hair where I want it with out stressing my scalp.

Steve<3
April 28th, 2007, 09:19 PM
I sometimes get scalp-aches if I wear my hair too high/tight or if I wear an updo that isn't balanced properly. If I get a headache while my hair is like this, then it makes the headache feel worse, and I feel a little better when I let my hair down, but I don't think my hair actually caused the headache.

Polyhex, I wear my hair like that too. I love that style, it's so easy!

Hibrida
April 28th, 2007, 09:56 PM
[clipped] I honestly can't imagine how some of you survive having your hair so long!![clipped]

Just mentally compare to showgirls with large head-dresses. Strength comes through practice/exercise. Our necks don't need to become anywhere near that strong.

Hibrida

Rose_Red
April 28th, 2007, 10:13 PM
I do get headache from the weight of my hair - in my case, this is tied in with fibromyalgia. The weight of my hair can cause the muscles in my neck and face to spasm, resulting in not so fun pain.

Apart from keeping my hair short (which isn't going to happen any time soon!) the only way around it for me is being careful with how I wear my hair. It's one of the reasons I wear my hair down a lot, actually.

carinkla
April 28th, 2007, 11:01 PM
I am very happy to say I almost never have scalppain eventhough I have quite a weight (iii and 109 cm) on my head. But i mostly wear a braid and my updos are not that thight. I have pain thoug on my bangs when the bandana I wore to protect my self against the sun has pushed my bang hair too long in a wrong direction. So I guess its not so much the weight/amount of your hair but forcing it into a way that is against its natural growth or something...

TheStorm
April 29th, 2007, 01:24 AM
I do sometimes get hair related headaches, I find that if I wear 2 tight pigtails or a tight bun I might have to let my hair down for a while at some point. I've always thought that it's because I've put my hair up too tight in the first place. I find that if I take out the pigtails or bun for half an hour then put them back in loosely the headache eases off somewhat.

hockeygirl256
May 2nd, 2007, 02:40 AM
I get the same thing, and it is usually worse when my scalp is dirty. My hair isn't very long so I tend to make somewhat tight ponytails just so I can get it all back. I think the description that it feels like a bruise is very true.

readingfae
May 14th, 2007, 09:25 AM
This thread is actually how I found the community!

I have a bad hairache today. I haven't measured my hair, so I'm not sure just how long it is, but when its wet in the shower, it goes down to my bum.

I've found that if I put my hair up (usually in a clip, twisted 3 times) and if I do that, I get a hairache, then if I wear it like that for a few days then wear my hair down, I get a hairache. Yesterday and today I wore a single braid, and today I have a hairache.

I've asked friends and other people ideas on how to get rid of the hairache, or maybe find a new style or something. (Excedrin doesn't help, neither does Advil.) The only advice I've got pretty much was cut it.... *gasp* no, I really don't want to do that.

I live in Texas, so its hot here a LOT, so having my hair down just makes me hotter sometimes. So I like to just pull it up fast sometimes, and I would like to not have to worry about how bad my hairache will be because of it.

Does anyone have any cures that'll kill the hairache besides leaving it down all the time, or half up and half down? Is there something I can take to kill it? (I'm trying another advice today btw, BC headache powder and hot tea.)

Ineedmorehair
May 14th, 2007, 10:40 AM
I get the same thing, and it is usually worse when my scalp is dirty. My hair isn't very long so I tend to make somewhat tight ponytails just so I can get it all back. I think the description that it feels like a bruise is very true.

Yes, this is similar to what I was going to post. I have thin, fine hair and I have been waiting longer between washings in an effort to slow down the oiliness. I've noticed that 2 days after shampooing my hair feels (or head?) heavy, then it gets heavier the next day, and finally I have a low grade headache that lasts all day. I know it's not my hair itself, I mean I have 50 hairs on my head, so I am blaming it on the oil buildup.

muuttaa
May 14th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Ever since I can remember my mother got migraine headaches when her hair got longer than her waist. Her doctor had suggested cutting off some of her hair length to see if that helped. That first time she went a bit overboard and cut it all off, but the headaches went with the hair. From there she grew it out again and would cut off some length when the headaches began to appear.

Maybe it was the placebo effect, but either way, it saved my mom from a lot of headache pain.

Myself, I get scalp aches from time to time when I keep it up in one style for a long time. Other than that, I have a happy scalp :-P

connie
May 14th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Yes, lately, I get headaches & a sore scalp. Usually because my updo is sliding & then pulling. Actually, it's the sore scalp first, and then that gives me a headache.

My hair is abou tailbone length & fine. I'm considering losing a few inches because of it.

But I have found that dividing my updos into two sections helps....not that it looks great though. What I mean is, I'll make 2 buns, or 2 figure 8's instead of one. I just divide horizontally from ear to ear across the back, then I have a lower & upper section. Sometimes I wrap the lower section around the upper section bun, so it'll look more normal, but I can't always get the lower section to stay as securely that way.

willowcandra
May 14th, 2007, 09:05 PM
i go through phases. but i think it's because of other factors. when i am pregnant even a soft braid can hurt my head- strange huh?
so usually a bun will make a headache worse but not cause it as such.

the pregnancy thing could be due to increased thickness though. so i am really not much help lol.

pretend you understand me lol.

Miss World
May 14th, 2007, 11:21 PM
I get a headache, and scalpache when tying my hair in general. it started with pony tails so I changed into just clipping it. now even those clips started giving me headaches.
and the worst type of headache I get, if I skipped my hair-wash day (its very dry so I wash it once a week).. if I didn't wash it I end up with a terrible headache that would only go after washing it (not instantly though).

nyia
May 15th, 2007, 11:01 AM
This was a very interesting response for me - my hair isn't quite as long as yours (only knee length) but I also have to readjust if I wear it any way but a braid. If it's very hot out, I often want to put it up, but usually only when I'm painting. Then, I just grab two paintbrushes that I haven't used yet (I'm a watercolor artist), and make a rolled up bun of the braid, and stick the brush ends through it. Of course, ten minutes later, when I've forgotten about my hair, I'm looking for those exact brushes!

I don't usually pile it on top, though, I've noticed my scalp aches if I put my hair up any higher than about the middle back of my head. It also aches if I do a french braid, or my regular braid is too tight.

The only times I've gotten a "hair headache" was the times I got it cut short (twice in my life). My scalp went into shock, I felt lightheaded, and my balance was off for weeks. I lost hair by the handfull. No more short hair for me! I haven't had it shorter than waist for almost 30 years now. No hair headaches.

Isilme
May 15th, 2007, 11:43 AM
I get headaches when I'm trying to be ultra careful with my hair. Because I get so tense in the whole body when being very very careful I get tension headaches. But the go away when I try to relax again:)

archel
May 15th, 2007, 10:25 PM
I definitely get headaches from high ponytails or buns. I had neck surgery a couple of years ago so I am really prone to tension headaches that make me feel like my head weighs 100 lbs. I actually have a hair headache right now so I took it down and have been massaging my scalp. ouch it hurts!

Flying Betty
May 15th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Occasionally a very tight ponytail or compact bun will pull at my scalp and cause it to ache. I like flat against the head styles of updo for that reason, and so that my head isn't bumpy when I lean back. If my hair is down I never feel the weight of it. It either isn't a big deal or I'm so used to it that I don't notice.

sandrak
May 16th, 2007, 12:40 AM
The only time I get a headache is when I wear it up. Then I get a nauseous headache.

Minx
May 16th, 2007, 12:48 AM
I don't think I've ever had a headache due to my hair.
Not that I've noticed anyway. I generally wear my hair in a high ponytail or in a tight bun... nothing.

I've never really thought that hair could be the cause of headaches. I'm glad that I'm affected by it! That would suck!

:flower:

Curlsgirl
May 16th, 2007, 03:16 AM
I do get real head and neck aches from small amounts of weight or pressure. I get a headache every time I wear a headband, or wear a necklace that is too heavy, or do something that involves a new weight distribution with my hair. A crown brain, despite having great weight distribution, tends to give me a massive headache because it's new. Muscles can be a cause of headaches: if they get inflamed, trigger points or tiny spasms can form inside the muscles and relay the feeling of pain. This is one of the reasons that botox therapy, which paralyzes facial, head, and neck muscles, can work for some migraine patients. (Unfortunately not for my husband.)

Carousel266, the one updo that never gives me any pain is a halfup where I take a forelock from in front of and above each ear and pull them back to secure behind my head with a little clip. Since it's such a small amount of hair, I can do it with a tiny, light clip. I worked this out after regular half-ups were giving me headaches. This keeps my hair out of my face but leaves the vast majority of my hair free. From the front it looks like my hair is pulled back but only those two forelocks are actually secured back. Like this:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/175/410538722_48dbf78735.jpgOH that is pretty! I have bangs and I have been doing this lately too. The key is to do it very gently and loosely with just a little hair!