Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : why is my hair falling out

kal32205
April 23rd, 2007, 09:38 AM
I know it's normal for hair to come out. But everytime I brush my hair, wash my hair or even run my fingers through my hair, hairs just pop right out. And they aren't hairs that already came out, I can actually feel them coming out at the roots. It's been 3 months since I used any styling products or hot irons or blowdryers. I cut all of the damage off and my hair is in great condition. I don't shampoo too often nor infrequently. I am doing everything I can to keep my hair healthy yet it's coming out. I completely clog the drain when I was my hair. Why is it doing this and what will stop it.

heidi w.
April 23rd, 2007, 12:10 PM
Go see an ob-gyn to have your blood screened for any potential thyroid problems. This is one of the most under-diagnosed health issues for women. You don't have to be in your 40s and above for problems such as this.

There remain other health considerations, too:
Polycystic fibrosis, if you're coming out of pregnancy or breast feeding (more unusual loss during pregnancy), even things such as diabetes. Note that most of these are hormonally based. Hair loss is often linked to some kind of hormonal issue, and sometimes that issue is normal.

There remain other possibilities:
1) Are you anemic, or even borderline anemic? That is insufficient protein in your diet? If even borderline, hair loss such as you describe can occur. It would then be a kind of lower level yet chronic (meaning rather ongoing over an extended time) kind of hair loss, as opposed to a full blown thyroid issue, one of which the symptom is hair loss in clumps! (there are 2 types of thyroid issues).

2) You say nothing of your general health, medications....any scalp skin issues.

3) It could be as simple as this is a normal situation, believe it or not, and represents in actuality a phase in the hair growth cycle. Typically, around the 4th year of growth (and this does not correlate specifically to length, just cycle duration), the hair will rest for a bit such that it doesn't grow, or not very much (if one trims at all, especially regularly, they may not notice the slowed growth rate); then it will slough, rather a lot, naturally. Then it will regrow a new hair out of the follicle. The cycle is basically this: growth/loss (transitional)/rest/re-grow (or grow, etc).
http://www.follicle.com/hair-structure-life-cycle.html
http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_21.htm;jsessionid=AWAU2ADLVIER5QFIAJ1C0HW AVABHOLKG
(be sure to click on the NEXT PAGE button to continue reading about each phase)

In pretty rare instances, a chosen hair wash method may result in increased shedding. Candidate modalities could be using too strong or any essential oil on the head (more like an allergic reaction); issues with products, shampoo, or conditioner. It could be allergic, such as something in one of these products, or it could be a response to lack of rinsing. It could even be that your water has something in it. Again, these are pretty rare, but do remain viable possibilities, even if a stretch.

I am always surprised that people think that via the internet someone can tell them why they are losing hair. All we can do is posit possibilities. We know nothing about you and your life, general health, diet, and so on. These details matter greatly as to the range of possibilities.

If you care to divulge any more insight, we might be able to better assist, but bottom line, if this concerns you sufficiently, you definitely should see a doctor to rule out possibilities that are either skin or hormonally related. Beware: many doctors are clueless about hair except in very significant instances.

For now, switch to using a wide toothed comb for detangling, not a brush.

Take the B vitamins, Zinc, Magnesium, and consider Vitamin A (take it easy with Vitamin A). Better yet, consider a daily vitamin with everything in it including a trace of iron (do not go commando with a full on iron vitamin as it IS toxic, does build, and if you're merely borderline, or don't know where you stand, then could be problematic, especially if taking too much). For iron deficiency, all you need is a simple blood test. Ask the doctor to screen for iron and thyroid.

Don't run your fingers through your hair, and wear hair up.

See the doctor for a blood screen.

My best,
heidi w.

kal32205
April 23rd, 2007, 03:01 PM
Thank you for the response. I am borderline anemic and the only real problem i've noticed with that is excrutiatingly painful periods....didn't know it could really affect hair. But i've always been anemic and this is the first real point in my life (besides when I was overprocessing my hair) that I noticed this much hair coming out. I wear my hair up all the time due to a bad cut that I don't want evened out right now. My Dad has thyroid issues but he says they aren't inherited, then again i've just never really checked to see. I've read alot about the growth phases but still find it hard to understand. Does that mean if you cut your hair really short during the period that it's not really growing fast that you could be stuck with a bad cut for a long time? If so i'm probably screwed. I don't have any noticeable health concerns that could affect my hair but maybe it's time for another check up any how. Because I'm sure it's nothing that I am personally doing to my hair unless ponytails cause hair loss.

stardrift
April 23rd, 2007, 03:20 PM
Heidi,that was such a solid and helpful response to Kal32205's question.

Fact is that Doctors can be very vague and dismissive about hair loss concerns.My GP did an entire set of tests on me. The tests showed everything was within normal limits including hormone and thyroid function.And there ended the investigation!

Anyway I found that taking just a tiny (10ml) dose of a herbal iron tonic once a day seems to have helped cut the daily hair shed along with stepping up my protein intake.

Kal,perhaps you could check your thyroid function and iron levels with a simple blood test at your GPs and can then address the problem accordingly.Am sure it can easily be corrected.No point going through the anxiety.Believe me,I know exactly how it feels to have hair pop out at you even before your fingers approach it!!

leitmotiv
April 23rd, 2007, 03:35 PM
I find that Heidi always gives very comprehensive and helpful responses.

Anyway, is it a lot of hairs coming out or just a few? If it's just 1 or 2, then I have the same problem as you. I love to play with my hair and sometimes when I'm just lightly running my fingers down my hair, I can feel a tiny prick and a strand of hair has been torn out. They're usually the finer hairs, by finer I mean medium thickness. I'm not too worried about that, probably just have to handle my hair less.

redbark
April 23rd, 2007, 05:08 PM
Heidi,

Pretty please - if you can find some time... can you detail in the same way what could be the possible reasons a guy could be experiencing a similar shed? It is not genetic and the pattern isn't like a male pattern baldness either... it is leading to some sparse spots throughout the scalp. When I was experiencing a shed I had gone to enough Derms and Endos to lose faith in them... so now we are thinking of going to some naturopathists or Chinese doctors for my husband.

My case turned out to be PCOS (although my hormonal readings were completely normal) and HypoT (although those were ruled out normal too until my pregnancy..when it shot up a little higher and an Endo finally prescribed Armour for me). Now my pregnancy has controlled my shed....

Anyway... but since I had such a negative experience with normal derms and Endos... I am sceptical about them for my husband but really desperate to find him a cure....

He does have a slight case of dandruff (but we feel that is more because recently he has given up 'pooing too much due to the increased shed) ..so another question would be ... what would be a good remedy for dandruff? Is there such a thing as prescription strength dandruff shampoo or serum that a Derm will prescribe? If yes... we could reconsider going to the Derm... else I would hate to go and just be told that it is normal MPB.

Thank you in advance ...for your invaluable time :flowers:

1953Diygal
April 23rd, 2007, 06:44 PM
and consider Vitamin A (take it easy with Vitamin A).
My best,
heidi w.

Amen to that. See the Biotin thread a few screens back. Too much vitamin A, I believe, caused my hair to thin.

ETA: Here's a link
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=60597&page=3