Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Can white vinegar rinses effect hair color?

Artenystea
April 17th, 2007, 08:11 PM
A little while ago I posted about ACV rinses possibly changing my hair color. I finally decided (with much help) that the ACV rinses were in fact making my hair redder (I am a brunette with quite a bit of natural red). So I switched to white vinegar rinses. But now I think that the white vinegar rinses may be changing my hair color too! I could be going insane, but I am pretty sure this is the case. Is that possible? Has this happened to anyone else before? Maybe I'm just really paranoid about my hair changing color... :bigeyes:

Raederle
April 17th, 2007, 08:36 PM
To what color do you think the white vinegar is changing your hair? I used it for months, but then I've used honey in my conditioner at the same time, which does, in fact, lighten hair. I'm currently on month 2 of using the honey in such a way that it no longer lightens. Can't say as I notice any color change on me, but then I didn't really notice the other change, either. By the end of this month, I plan on taking a length picture for comparison to verify that there's been no subsequent lightening.

Pani_Mniszek
April 17th, 2007, 08:37 PM
I don't think so. Try doing an "advanced search" on threads with the words "white vinegar" in the title to read more.

--PM

Schnee
April 18th, 2007, 01:36 AM
I found that ACV did make my blond hair darker, so I switched to a white vinegar rinse and my hair became much nicer in colour. I wouldn say that it lighten my hair, just removed old product staining that made my hair darker, and made my haircolour clearer and pops my natural blonde.

Catarina
April 18th, 2007, 02:03 AM
My husband who works with contractors says that they use white vinegar which is an acid, is used as a disolving agent when cleaning up interior walls before using a fresh coat of paint.

That always made me hesistant to use it.

Silver Strands
April 18th, 2007, 06:37 AM
I use white vinegar rinses.
My whites are always whiter I think when I use i

I also use a warm water/ white vinegar wash on my dog who is white and he always comes out sparkling clean, so it must remove dulling, yellowing discoloration.

Silver Strands
April 18th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Use IT, not use i.

Sorry

Pani_Mniszek
April 18th, 2007, 06:43 AM
My husband who works with contractors says that they use white vinegar which is an acid, is used as a disolving agent when cleaning up interior walls before using a fresh coat of paint.

That always made me hesistant to use it.

I assume they are using it full strength. I always dilute vinegar before I use it on my hair. The skin is naturally slightly acidic (the famed "acid mantle") so I don't worry about dilute acidic solutions. Dilute basic solutions (e.g. baking soda) are more likely to be harmful AFAIK.

PM

Artenystea
April 18th, 2007, 07:35 AM
I'm thinking that the white vinegar is making my hair redder, and lighter in general. I am using a dilution of 1 tablespoon vinegar to one cup of water, so maybe changing the ratio would help? I was just wondering if this was happening to anyone else because I thought it was so weird that this would happen to me using both ACV and white vinegar! I did an advanced search, but I wasn't able to read through all the journals for answers. There is a lot of information in all of them! :silly:

Raederle
April 18th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Think it's pretty unlikely that white vinegar is reddening hair. It may be deposits in your water instead. Some members have complained about iron deposits causing that effect.

SpecialKitty
April 18th, 2007, 08:15 AM
I'm not sure if this will help you, but I use rice vinegar instead of ACV or white vinegar. I haven't noticed any hair color changes. I like the smell of rice vinegar better, and it helps balance my hair and scalp. I dilute it just like you would other vinegar rinses.

salamandra
April 18th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Artenystea, I had the very same suspions you have, even before I joined LHC and became obsessed with my hair. I always took good care of it, and last year I begun using ACV as final rinses regularly. My ends started to lighten and to get reddish very fast. They usually do when my hair grows longer, naturally, but I thought this was happening rather fast and too early. So I guess that might be the case for some people with light brown hair and reddish undertones.

salamandra
April 18th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Oh, yeah, just to add, I used diluted, of course! ;) I had also quit ACV rinses for good.

ole gray mare
April 18th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Wow, that's interesting! I use diluted white vinegar rinses, because ACV was making my silvery hair sort of a weird brown. I don't know if it was affecting the still dark brown hair I have. (My hair was originally very dark brown and is silvering now, but there is still a fair amount of dark hair, especially underneath.) I have noticed that the ends of the dark hair are much lighter than they ever used to be when I was younger and had very dark dark hair. I've wondered why that is. Maybe it is the vinegar.

cinnamongirl46
April 18th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Vinegar rinses stripped my color out.

marizzlefoshizz
April 18th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Sorry I can't answer your question because I have only done a couple ACV rinses within the span of months so I haven't noticed any color changes, but I have a question of my own.

Is there any difference at all with ACV rinses and white vinegar rinses? I might start doing white vinegar rinses instead of ACV because i color my hair dark and I don't want the color to be changed :)