Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Bleach hair emergency O_O What the HELL?!?!?!

Pegasus Marsters
April 6th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Okay, I'm really not kidding when I say I had a major hair emergency today...

Since I'm gonna cut my hair anyway I figured I'd bleach out some more of it to get it blue so it'll be perfect for my Illyria costume I'm wearing to a convention in early May. So my mums boyfriend and I mix up the bleach, put it onto my hair, wrap it up in plastic (we didn't have any cling film, so we used the plastic gloves that came with the bleach) put hair elastics over it, and put a towel on my head.

5 minutes later my head felt like it was burning. I figured it was just regular old bleach itching, but I put my hand to the towel over my head and it felt hot. So I said I was gonna go and see what was going on.

We get downstairs and my hair was SMOKING. I'm not kidding. Smoke was rising from my hair and we had to stick my head straight under the cold water and rinse it all out. My hair went WHITE BLONDE at the roots in under 5 minutes, the rest is now dark blonde.

What the HELL just happened? Anyone? Does anyone know why my bleach would make my hair SMOKE?! I've used this stuff atleast 10 times before.

summr
April 6th, 2007, 12:37 PM
What did you use- kind of bleach and volume of developer , was it a kit with directions?

Sian100
April 6th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Oh goodness, I hope you're okay! :bigeyes:

Pegasus Marsters
Jerome Russell B Blonde. The peroxide was 40%, the powder just thier powder bleach.

Nightshade
:bigeyes: What the hell is right! I hope your scalp wasn't badly burned.

The only thing I can think of is that if you've used anything like a temp dye that had copper in it I know it can cause the hair to boil and smoke and such. It's a major problem with compound hennas and stuff like that. Source (http://www.hennaforhair.com/science/whatsinit.html).

I've heard of smoking hair before, but I don't really know any other cause. Hopefuly some of our cosmotology-savvy LHCers will be here soon.

Man, I hope you're okay...

Sian100
April 6th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Jerome Russell B Blonde. The peroxide was 40%, the powder just thier powder bleach.

That's what I use, I hope it doesn't happen to me as well. :bigeyes:

Pegasus Marsters
April 6th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Not used any temp dye... I just dont get it. Even a friend of mine who's a scientist can only logic that maybe the peroxide was too strong, but I've always used 40vol.

Scalp doesn't seem too badly burned yet, but it might take a while to show I guess. It bled a little but seems to have stopped now.

Quoting scientist friend:

it was smoking because you had a chemical reaction going on with the sulfur bonds in your hair protein

you're lucky it's not breaking off right now

if it said 40, it wasn't

it must have been stronger

summr
April 6th, 2007, 12:47 PM

Ok, most of the time in bleaching 20 v is used, for a home bleach I wouldn't use 40 v.
Also the roots are done last part of the bleaching process , when your length has reached a certain stage- most of the time orange stage.
If you apply at the crown with the rest, your crown will lift quickly because of the heat from your scalp, coupled with a towel on your head.

Pegasus Marsters
April 6th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Ok, most of the time in bleaching 20 v is used, for a home bleach I wouldn't use 40 v.
Also the roots are done last part of the bleaching process , when your length has reached a certain stage- most of the time orange stage.
If you apply at the crown with the rest, your crown will lift quickly because of the heat from your scalp, coupled with a towel on your head.

I used 40 because I'd used it with plenty of success before. I applied all of the length first, then the roots because again, same as I've always done. Heat would lift the roots quickly, obviously, but the fact is that wouldn't just make my hair SMOKE.

Koala Kim
April 6th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Oh my gosh Pegs! I hope your scalp isn't effected too bad. :grouphug:

Is there a toll-free number you can call? At the very least- you should call to let them know how unhappy you are and what advice do they have in regards to your scalp.

Poor Pegs. Now Eyeore will never love you...:sad

justgreen
April 6th, 2007, 01:23 PM
OUCH! Post us a pic of you as a blonde.:agree: I hope your scalp recovers! Maybe you should use a triple antibiotic ointment on those raw spots.

rasarani
April 6th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Oh no!!! I don't know anything about bleaching, but I wanted to say that your hair is so gorgeous, I hope it is ok! I also hope your scalp is not harmed.

Good luck!!

Paniscus
April 6th, 2007, 01:59 PM
wow. you just brought back memories of an experience in High school. When i was around 15 I thought it would be cool to dip the ends of my hair into bleach (you know, the household cleaning kind!!!!!)

I did one little section and it smoked too! It *melted* the ends. I only did about three inches on a small section of hair. Thank goodness I did it in sections!! My dipped hair was white as snow and oddly enough, extremely soft. It felt like a bunny's tail and that one little section kind of looked like one too! Anyway, it was the 80's and everyone thought it was cool. Of course, looking back, I was silly for doing that. I never did it again, it scared me! To this day, I've been somewhat hesitant to color.

Sorry for the hijack of sorts-- I just wanted to say, I agree with your scientist friend.

I would contact the company. If there is a mix up in their product, they need to know! I hope all turns out well for you-- keep us posted.

MadHatter
April 6th, 2007, 02:05 PM
I've taken a small section of hair and dipped the end into household bleach, too, just to see what would happen.
Nothing.
Guess I didn't leave it long enough.

Shiin
April 6th, 2007, 02:10 PM
:shocked:I hope your hair is okay and scalp! Poor Pegs :grouphug:

Paniscus
April 6th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Maybe not Madhatter-- or it was the combo of my hair and the bleach we had??? If my memory serves me correctly, it didn't take too long. But it smoked, something I wasn't expecting. Luckily I was in our bathroom and was able to get to the sink and water, otherwise I think more of my hair would have broken off!
And since I was doing this without my Mum's permission, you can imagine the frantic feeling I had. Anyway-- I hope Pegasus Marsters is OK.

frannyg
April 6th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Oh, I'm so terribly sorry about what happened. If you've used that before, it is very strange. I'm just happy that you're okay. I wish I had some good advice to offer, but all I can do is send healing vibes and loving thoughts your way.:flowers:

MadHatter
April 6th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Mmmmm.... I'm tempted to see how long it would take on my hair.....
I have a hairball waiting for any experiments I may get into my head to try...
Pegasus Marsters, how bad is your hair damaged? Are you able to comb through it? I'm sorry this happened to you, I can only imagine how shocked you must have been.

strawberryfine
April 6th, 2007, 02:52 PM
I don't remember all the details but I saw this happen in the salon where I used to work during my first year as a cosmetologist (1987-88). The color company who had an excellent toll-free hotline, finally contended that it was caused by a chemical reaction between the color/developer and the extreme mineral deposits in her hair, caused by extremely hard well water. The antidote was a series of baking soda washes, deep conditioning and recoloring about 2 weeks later. It was successful.

Also, I would be very careful about using 40 volume developer on the scalp unless it is specifically a bleach for on-the-scalp use.

Hope this helps a little.

chamogirl
April 6th, 2007, 02:56 PM
My hair didn't smoke but my hair had orange roots with a dark brown color else where. Most is gone now 6 weeks later. There is a board called Bottle Blonde maybe they could be of help.

summr
April 6th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I don't remember all the details but I saw this happen in the salon where I used to work during my first year as a cosmetologist (1987-88). The color company who had an excellent toll-free hotline, finally contended that it was caused by a chemical reaction between the color/developer and the extreme mineral deposits in her hair, caused by extremely hard well water. The antidote was a series of baking soda washes, deep conditioning and recoloring about 2 weeks later. It was successful.

Also, I would be very careful about using 40 volume developer on the scalp unless it is specifically a bleach for on-the-scalp use.

Hope this helps a little.

I would caution 40 v with bleach as well, and always make sure its on the scalp bleach. Off the scalp does burn- its foiled or capped highlightd only. 40 v and color ( highlift tint) is ok, but coloring when oily is a good idea, protects the scalp.

Well I've not heard of smoking from a reaction- its good to have this knowlege.

Peg, I'm sorry about your troubles. Make sure you do your crown after your hair has lifted orange or gold. I wouldn't cover, the heat from your scalp will give plenty of lift by itself - and strand test first in the future :)
Last thing- make sure you shampoo the bleach out.

chamogirl Bottle Blonde is an excellent board, they will help you and give you alot of information. :)
Rick is awesome :coolblue:

Xandergrammy
April 6th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Mmmmm.... I'm tempted to see how long it would take on my hair.....

MadHatter, I really hate to bring out my Mother/Grandmother Voice, but you made me do it "DON'T YOU DARE EVEN THINK ABOUT TRYING IT!!"

Pegasus Marsters, I hope you're okay.

Leni

PerfectDoak
April 6th, 2007, 04:24 PM

I use this too. Doesn't burn my scalp. Although I only use it about once every 4 months, and don't wash/wet/touch my scalp for a good few days before bleaching.
20/30 vol is useless to me.

I agree with Nightshade about the compound henna. It could be that...
Have you coloured your hair before with anything that contains metallic salts?
Did you use any metal mixing implements?

I'm confused... and a little bit worried...
I hope you/your head/your hair are ok Pegasus Marsters!

summr
April 6th, 2007, 04:41 PM
PerfectDoak Do you use lightener activators with the bleach/developer?

Garnett
April 6th, 2007, 05:04 PM
My guess would be something with metallic salts in it. Storebought henna (in a box) has them and I have seen hair smoke from putting chemical colour over hair that has been dyed with anything that had metallic salt in it.

I never use 40v on my clients because you can usually get the same results with 10 or 20volume and it is much more gentle on the hair. But it does depend on the person.

Hope your head recovers soon, bleach burns can really do some damage! Are you blistered or scabbed? I hope you feel better soon :) *hug*

cinnamongirl46
April 6th, 2007, 05:12 PM
wrap it up in plastic (we didn't have any cling film, so we used the plastic gloves that came with the bleach)

I am just wondering... could it have been a chemical reaction between the bleach and the plastic gloves you used to wrap your hair with instead of cling film. I hope I understood that correctly.. you wrapped the hair with the gloves, could have been an interaction there, maybe the were gloves latex? Just a thought.
Sorry about the mishap, I had some Nair hair remover do that on my face once, not exactly smoking but burning, burning and red felt like skin on fire, had chemical burns. Continued to burn for hours and was beet red for a whle.

PerfectDoak
April 6th, 2007, 05:13 PM
PerfectDoak Do you use lightener activators with the bleach/developer?

Umm... I think it's just bleach and developer...
It's a blue bleach powder and cream peroxide in a bottle

This is what I use:
http://www.perfectdoak.co.uk/hair/b_blonde.jpg

Ingredients for bleach
http://www.perfectdoak.co.uk/hair/ingredients_bleachpowder.jpg

Ingredients for peroxide
http://www.perfectdoak.co.uk/hair/ingredients_peroxide.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong though!

summr
April 6th, 2007, 05:19 PM
I am just wondering... could it have been a chemical reaction between the bleach and the plastic gloves you used to wrap your hair with instead of cling film. I hope I understood that correctly.. you wrapped the hair with the gloves, could have been an interaction there, maybe the were gloves latex? Just a thought.
Sorry about the mishap, I had some Nair hair remover do that on my face once, not exactly smoking but burning, burning and red felt like skin on fire, had chemical burns. Continued to burn for hours and was beet red for a whle.

Thats a good question, it could be the gloves. If the gloves were the kind that come in boxes of Loreal- they are really good gloves- not the flimsy cheap "sandwhich bag" type. There could be something in those gloves to cause that reaction :ponder:

summr
April 6th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Umm... I think it's just bleach and developer...
It's a blue bleach powder and cream peroxide in a bottle

This is what I use:
http://www.perfectdoak.co.uk/hair/b_blonde.jpg

Ingredients for bleach
http://www.perfectdoak.co.uk/hair/ingredients_bleachpowder.jpg

Ingredients for peroxide
http://www.perfectdoak.co.uk/hair/ingredients_peroxide.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong though!

Ok this is a bleaching kit- you get otc right. I thought it might be from Sally's where you buy the bleach separate from the developer and the lightener activator.
This is like Born Blonde or Super Blonde , its fine. :)

MadHatter
April 6th, 2007, 05:53 PM
MadHatter, I really hate to bring out my Mother/Grandmother Voice, but you made me do it "DON'T YOU DARE EVEN THINK ABOUT TRYING IT!!"

Pegasus Marsters, I hope you're okay.

Leni

Heheheheheheh:flower: :grin:
I already did :D
I had a hairball, a plastic cup, and bleach. Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no intention to do this to any hair attached to my head (I'm partial to the red). I just wanted to see how it would turn out, and how long it would take on my hairs.
Unfortunately, I forgot about my little experiment as soon as I walked out of the room. I went out to a restaurant with my family, and when I got back and checked on it, the hair had dissolved. Wowzers!

PerfectDoak
April 6th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Yeah, it came in a kit, off the shelf.
I'm not sure if I would trust myself using stuff from Sallys or similar.

Xandergrammy
April 6th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Heheheheheheh:flower: :grin:
I already did :D
I had a hairball, a plastic cup, and bleach. Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no intention to do this to any hair attached to my head (I'm partial to the red). I just wanted to see how it would turn out, and how long it would take on my hairs.
Unfortunately, I forgot about my little experiment as soon as I walked out of the room. I went out to a restaurant with my family, and when I got back and checked on it, the hair had dissolved. Wowzers!

Yikes!!!! That's very scary!

Leni

Ursula
April 6th, 2007, 06:16 PM
I have absolutely no idea, but I'll e-mail my personal chemist (Dr. Ursula's Dad) and see if he can figure it out. There was obviously an exothermic chemical reaction, but beyond that, I'm not sure.

Everyone should have their own personal chemist, to advise on such issues of chemistry!

ETA: It may be several days or more before my dad gets back to me on this. In the meantime, Pegs, please don't put anything else odd on your hair or scalp! :scared: You're into the "Too Scary for Snowy" range.

cinnamongirl46
April 6th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Ursula, we do have our own chemist, courtesy of your Dad:lol: !!!

Oops, running away to fix my signature...

Kuchen
April 7th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Heh, I'm just thinking, 'White blonde! Cooooooool!'

I used to use that bleach to try and get that result, but I was too chicken to leave it on for long enough. Be interested to hear what the LHC chemist says :wink:

UnstrungHarp
April 7th, 2007, 12:48 AM
I...didn't know bleach could smoke! :bigeyes:

Lize
April 7th, 2007, 12:55 AM
So, so sorry! :scared: Yes it probably was too strong but that sounds scary as hell! I hope your scalp and hair are okay! So you said you are cutting your hair anyway? How short?

summr
April 7th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Yeah, it came in a kit, off the shelf.
I'm not sure if I would trust myself using stuff from Sallys or similar.

I understand :) With Sally's you buy the materials separate, its more economical for those that bleach / color every two weeks depending on new growth. Some have hair that grows quickly/sharp contrats, and some don't like "roots" :)

MadHatter, I'm so glad you strand tested first- henna and bleach don't seem to mix well. :flower:

Pegasus Marsters
April 7th, 2007, 03:22 AM
I wondered about the gloves... but they came IN the box with the bleach. The amount of time they were on my head (5 mins like I said) was more than the amount of time it would have taken to apply the bleach with them. That doesn't make much sense.

My scalp has a small scab on it, but luckily seems to have calmed down and my hair isn't breaking or freaking out on me. Don't worry, I'm gonna leave it a while until I do anything to fix this colour, lol. I wondered about having coloured my hair before but i've not coloured it since january (cept for temp blue on the streaks I had at the front) and the bit that freaked out was my roots, I've had a good inch or two's growth since I coloured so that makes no sense.

As for cutting... I'm going for short and spiky. ^.^

frannyg
April 7th, 2007, 04:38 AM
I'm so looking forward to seeing photos of your new 'do, Pegs. With your pretty face, you'll look lovely with any cut. I'm just glad that you're okay.:flowers:

I think it's wonderful to be young and play with your hair. It's my secret hope that you let it grow to terminal when you're older and have had all the fun you need with it though.:wink:

Peggy E.
April 7th, 2007, 05:43 AM
Holy Banana Peels! Girl, you are lucky you have hair left to worry about!

Now, if you lived in the U.S., before washing out the offensive chemicals, you would have taken a video of the smoking head, called a lawyer and started a lawsuit for millions of dollars worth of personal injury, pain and suffering.

Because you live in a more reasonable place, you are going to either call or write the manufacturer, explain what happened and ask them to put some sort of warnings on the boxes while they have their labs get to work figuring out what went wrong.

I am not a chemist, and I think the law suit would hinge on a sympathetic jury - and goodness knows, you wouldn't want to mention the fact you have hundreds of wives! - But the use of the gloves as covering for the hair may well have been a problem.

I'm guessing this is not the function they were meant to perform and there could have been some sort of chemical reaction between the bleach and the gloves. Because you did alter the process, not following exact directions to the letter, your suit will be disallowed.

Unless you want to push on to trial, where, as mentioned, a sympathetic jury is a wild card and with a beautiful, young woman, whose head was smoking like a huge Winston Light cigarette, that little fact might well be shrugged off. At this point, the company settles and you go on to NEVER DO THIS AGAIN!!!!!

Okay. Are there other legal issues needing solution this morning?!.....

Pegasus Marsters
April 7th, 2007, 06:03 AM
As it is I'll probably write to the company. Luckily my scalp seems to be okay other than the scab on my head, but none of the hair seems to have fallen out or broken so far.

styg
April 7th, 2007, 06:24 AM
sounds like an extreme version of the "hot roots effect". roots tend to discolor far more quickly, i suppose because of the heat generated by your scalp. you probably even accentuated it by too much wrapping.

Co Phi
April 7th, 2007, 06:29 AM
The only reason the gloves would have been a problem is that they held in the heat of your head. Any plastic would have done the same. This product was probably too strong for use on the scalp (I know you say you've used it before, but anybody can have a reaction to chemicals at any time... this is why they say to strand test every time although nobody ever does). As a hairdresser, I'd have to advise you to have this sort of thing done professionally in the future... but before I was a hairdresser I did all sorts of things to my own hair that I shouldn't have. I'm glad your scalp is ok. I also agree with the others that you'll look very cute with short hair as well as long.. and we want pictures!!

edited to add--P.S. the smoking was undoubtedly a chemical reaction with something else on your hair. Could have been other hair color, henna, what-have-you. I know from reading your other posts around here you've done a few things to your hair color-wise.. even if it had been awhile, a chemical reaction can still happen. (it's why they say henna is "bad" for hair, because it doesn't react well with other things like perms, etc..)

Good luck to you, Dear, and keep us updated, ok?

GlennaGirl
April 7th, 2007, 07:09 AM
I wouldn't be cool with smoking hair no matter what the reason. I am really sorry this happened to you, Peg. It certainly must have given you a fright.

Merlin
April 7th, 2007, 12:56 PM
If you had a video of you with smoking hair, I wonder how many viewings you could get on youtube?

(only posting this now I know she's ok.....)

cinnamongirl46
April 7th, 2007, 03:57 PM
:drama: waiting for Ursula's Dads Chemist Report, want some popcorn?

Ursula
April 7th, 2007, 04:05 PM
:drama: waiting for Ursula's Dads Chemist Report, want some popcorn?
Please be patient, my family is rather distracted this week. We'll get to this, but I can't make promises as to when.

zule
April 7th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Sorry to hear about this PM. I'd have screamed in terror if my hair were smoking!

Pegasus Marsters
April 7th, 2007, 04:52 PM
*glare at Merlin* you're mean to me!

Believe me Zule, I said a few words that would have the mods smacking my wrists if I posted here. haha.

snowbear
April 7th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Pegs, you're just trying to rack up your post count aren't you? We already know you're smokin'!
/ducking and running

In all seriousness, I'm glad you're okay. That must have been seriously scary.

nastasska
April 8th, 2007, 04:32 AM
Whoa I'm glad you and your scalp came out of that relatively intact:flowers: Contact the company and give them hell:twisted:

So tell me more about this short spiky blue do:bluebiggr

cinnamongirl46
April 8th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Please be patient, my family is rather distracted this week. We'll get to this, but I can't make promises as to when.

:oops: You do know I was joking around right?

NuclearMosquito
April 8th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Wow, that's so scary! Glad you're doing all right. And I thought the smell of perm fluid was bad...I can't imagine how smoking bleached hair must have smelled!

Pegasus Marsters
April 8th, 2007, 02:54 PM
The short spiky do is a surprise, I'll show pics when I've had it done (sometime in mid-may)

As for the smell of smoking bleach, I was too panicked to notice but I think it just smelt as icky as bleach always does.

summr
April 8th, 2007, 03:27 PM
I think the latex(gloves) in combination with the active bleach on your head plus heat caused the problem. The gloves are there to apply but not there for a head wrap. Plastic wrap doesn't have latex so its not going to be a problem.

At any rate I'm glad your ok and your hair is ok- no beakage. :)

serenitygal
April 8th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Pegs-
I just asked my roommate (LH-friendly stylist) about this. She says that it sounds like a chemical reaction between the bleach and a metallic-salt dye (tainted henna or otherwise). She said it might also be too much heat on the bleach, but says that she's never seen that happen except with a dryer or heat cap involved.
HTH! Glad you're OK.
Short, spiky and blue, eh? :D

Pegasus Marsters
April 9th, 2007, 10:56 AM
The gloves were NOT latex, they were plastic. Just regular old cheap plastic gloves. Basically just the same stuff as plastic wrap, but in glove form.

I've not used any henna on my hair and I checked to see if the dye I was using had metallic salt in it and couldn't see it on any ingredient list. I really think the peroxide was stronger than usual as last time I used it (a very small amount from the same bottle as this time on virgin hair untouched by dye) it made my scalp sting faster than usual. I didn't think about that till just recently. And I don't think a dye reaction explains it when it was on the (atleast inch) of new growth I've had since I last dyed and my scalp burnt. If it was that, I'd think my scalp woulda been okay.

Tabitha
April 9th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Peg, if you want a good haircut cheaply, you could do worse than go to the Vidal Sassoon School or Academy (experienced hairdressers being trained in advanced techniques) near Bond Street.

I used to get my hair done there when I was skint but didn't want to go to a rubbish salon. It's all done under the supervision of very experienced instructors and it will take longer than a standard 'do, but they rose to the challenge of dyeing back my platinum crop to brown (carefully, in 2 stages) and I think it cost me just £5 (20 years ago, that was still a good deal for a cut and well-done colour).

Pegasus Marsters
April 9th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Unfortunately the money I would spend getting there would make the haircut end up more like £30 I'll bet. I'd do better to just go to a salon round here and spend the money on the cut rather than the cut + travel too.

Kuchen
April 9th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Vidal Sassoon Academy is where I had my worst ever hairdressing experience – and I was a "model" so somewhere there are photographs to commemorate the whole thing.

I had very little hair left afterwards! *shudders*