Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Hair Myths 'Debunked' at Snopes

Gollan
October 2nd, 2003, 05:29 PM
A new page (http://www.snopes.com/spoons/oldwives/hairgrow.asp) at Snopes (a website dedicated to researching urban legends and folklore) 'debunks' various hair myths. All I can say is... this is going to be controversial!

Madeleine
October 2nd, 2003, 05:41 PM
Yep, that's controversial stuff indeed. Thanks for posting!
With some, even most of the points I'd agree, but other "facts" I just know better from personal experience. And even a single counter evidence is enough to disprove their generalisations :)

chamogirl
October 2nd, 2003, 06:08 PM
interesting and my hair has developed curls at my temples - (new growth)

Gollan
October 2nd, 2003, 06:19 PM
interesting and my hair has developed curls at my temples From eating bread crusts? :rockerdude:

I still think a vinegar rinse will benefit the hair of people who use a lot of conditioner and styling products (heresy, I know but I'm still in the awkward stage).

Nutswmn
October 2nd, 2003, 06:20 PM
had to laugh at some of those. most of the ones that they say aren't true are true for me.
and i can say wearing a hat does lead to baldness (or at least hair thinning) my hubby wears a hard hat and a baseball hat everyday and let me tell you it has gotten pretty thin up there. (don't tell him i said that)
very controversal things they have on there.

Dulci
October 2nd, 2003, 06:38 PM
wow I heard most of these from my grandmother. She told me to eat the breadcrusts so my hair would get curlier, guess who mangled her peanut butter & jelly sandwiches with a butter knife to get the crusts OFF? :D She always rinsed my hair with cold vinegar water, she said it would make it shinier. (Well, she did have well water.) She told me never to pluck a gray hair because then seven more would come to its funeral. She farmed her 40 acres using the almanac, I guess she would have cut my hair following moon signs if I asked her. She was from southern Mississippi...

Hollie
October 2nd, 2003, 07:29 PM
I love that site. I always check things people send me through email, and then send the snopes link back and admonish them to always check snopes before forwarding crap, I mean stuff. It saves so much "face" in the long run. :D :rolleyes: [/u]

Dispatcherbert
October 2nd, 2003, 07:45 PM
If that bread crust deal were true, I'd have the equivalent of an afro by now instead of stick-straight hair :rolleyes: .

Hollie
October 2nd, 2003, 07:47 PM
If that bread crust deal were true, I'd have the equivalent of an afro by now instead of stick-straight hair :rolleyes: .

ROFL!!! So true, so true!!!! I'd be sportin' a 'fro that could hold the biggest pick. :DD

Jae6
October 2nd, 2003, 10:14 PM
So THIS is why I'm still single!!!!:
Women who suddenly develop curls at their temples when their hair was previously straight are being told their husbands are soon to die. Women whose hair grows into a peak on their foreheads are said to have a "widow's peak," which portends badly for their husbands (because the peak signifies that widowhood will be their fate).

Okay so I'm only 24, but I'd like to think genetics is the reason I'm single, rather than my infatuation w/ my career :)

That was a fun read...:)

Anne
October 2nd, 2003, 10:54 PM
I agree with the cold water thing, I don't put myself through that anymore unless I'm hot ;)

and I must be a red head underneath all this dark hair, hubby calls me his little red pepper, granny always said I just had an Irish temper.