Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Chamomile and Lemon tea = highlights or disater?

~*Trish*~
March 25th, 2007, 06:28 AM
I've been doing ACV rinses with chamomile tea for both the highighting and conditioning properties. Well I got this brilliant (maybe not so brilliant) idea to use a mix of chamomille and LEMON tea as my final rinse (ie not washed out)

Now I'm starting to wonder if it's going to dry my hair out......

Hmmm anyone have experience with this???

I use a 50-50 mix by the way

Edit....I just realized I cant spell and that it should be disaSter not disater in the topic line

talullah
March 25th, 2007, 07:45 AM
I haven't used lemon tea, but I know lemon juice is supposed to be very drying. I also don't know if lemon tea would be acidic enough to cause lightening/highlighting.

I use chamomile tea as a rinse to highlight my hair, and I've found it to be extremely drying. I was surprised by this; I thought it would have conditioning properties. But it really screws up my hair and it takes a few regular washes to get it back to normal. I can't figure out why. :crazyq: It does give me great highlights, though.

I just thought I'd mention that straight chamomile dries out my hair. I have no experience with lemon tea.

csdearl
March 25th, 2007, 08:35 AM
I personally use chamomile tea and honey as a rinse before I condition. I am not brave enough to leave it in my hair (it smells terrible in my opinion). I brew a large thing of tea with 3 tea bag once it is a good strength I add about 3 tablespoons of honey. I then continue to let it steep until it is cooled enough for use then I put it in little applicator bottles it makes enough for two rinses usually. I am not sure if it has lightened my hair (I was debating that last night) but it certainly makes it soft and volumonous.

I am not sure about lemon tea I don't see why it would be any more drying then the chamomile. Really there is no harm in trying it out. Hair is generally pretty resiliant and I think any lightening you see will be pretty subtle. Good Luck!!

aisling
March 25th, 2007, 08:46 AM
What kind of lemon tea is it? Often lemon tea is black tea with some lemon product and aromas, black tea is known to darken your hair.

~*Trish*~
March 25th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Wow chamommile tea has been nothing less than awesome on my hair....I found my hair to be really soft after using it as my final rinse. I never would have thought that it woudl be dry.

The leamon tea I have has these ingredients listed:
lemongrass herb, rosehips, natrual flavours, verbena leaves, lemon peel, roasted chicory root, citric acid and orange peel

Oh and csdearl I have used honey in my SMT before and I loved it until I started to go overboard with it to the point where it was making my hair crunchy so I'm taking a break from honey for now lol But it also made my hair very soft

Crysania
March 25th, 2007, 11:11 AM
I find camomile not drying if i use only one teabag in a cup, but if i use more than one teabag yes i find it is drying

anyways, i dont like using more than one teabag because it gives a more dark color that looks more orange then golden to me

magicatt
March 25th, 2007, 05:23 PM
I use a chamomile rinse every time I wash. I've never had it be drying either. I would think that the lemon tea (which seems to be an herbal tea as opposed to a black tea) would be fine. I'm thinking that the problem with lemon and drying is actually the lemon juice and this would have lemon oil (and other citrus oils.)

csdearl
March 25th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Just to clarify I have never had dry hair with chamomile tea. I am currently afraid of it drying my hair so I always condition afterwards. It seems that the genera consensus is that it is not dry. I will one day try it without conditioner. I do believe my hair has gotten lighter I am not completely sure though. It's hard to tell with pictures and it is really subtle. I know my roots are no where near as dark as they were a few months ago. So I think lightening with the chamomile is quite possible (I bet even better if used as a final rinse compared to my method)

If you do decide to try the lemon tea I would love to hear what kind of results you get. I am very interested in keeping my hair as blonde as possible so if it works I would love to know about it.

GlitterGurl
March 25th, 2007, 06:42 PM
I used to use chamomile rinses when I was about 15-18 y/o (about twice/week). It worked great in terms of highlights and my hair was soft.

I've never used anything containing lemons though. Lemons have a lot of acid, and I would guess it may be damaging on the long run, especially on thinner hair types. But that's just a guess.

Katze
March 26th, 2007, 02:46 AM
The only thing I seem to have gotten from chamomile is a slight yellow tinge and lots of little chamo-bits in my hair. Catching the tea in a bucket to use it again and again for a rinse just isn't worth it, IMO.

I don't think chamomile is supposed to lighten the hair, rather, to add golden/yellow highlights. As part of my historical reenacting I know a lot of people who color fabric and fiber with herbs and other natural dyes, and have seen some very incredible yellows from Chamomile. But it won't bleach your hair.

As someone who has tried to be blonder for 20+ years, I am very suspicious of claims that honey, lemon, chamomile, etc etc will lighten hair. While I do think honey fades chemical color, I don't think it really lightens the hair. And lemon has never worked, that I can see...last summer I tried it one last time and got burns from being in the sun with lemon on my skin. just my 2cents...

talullah
March 26th, 2007, 05:32 AM
I find camomile not drying if i use only one teabag in a cup, but if i use more than one teabag yes i find it is drying

I should mention that I use 10 teabags (1/8 cup) of chamomile to 4 cups of water. Maybe that's why I get a more drying effect. It's not bad enough to make me stop--I love the highlights! :inlove:

Nightshade
March 26th, 2007, 05:34 AM
I use chamomile tea in my daily mister and as the liquid component in my henna. Unless your hair is the palest white blonde, you're not going to see much of a color difference. If you haven't seen this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=58582) in which I posted a bunch of herbal strand tests, check it out. As you can see in this picture (http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/SaliceMalkin/HerbalTestStrands4.jpg), chamomile deposits very little color with a single shot. As Katze said, it doesn't lighten hair at all, just (maybe) gives it some golden tones. All that aside, it's a badass conditioner, which is why I used it in my mister :D

Your lemon tea may cause your hair to lighten when you go out in the sun. Any type of citric acid may cause acidic odixation, which lightens hair in the sun. This may also be drying to your hair. I pasted in the lemon lightening rinse from my herbal hair color article, which has good information and a source for that effect :)

Lemon Rinse- Lemon is also a time-honored hair lightener. Will lighten hair, but may be very drying as the lightening agent is an acid.
2 lemons
1 quart boiling water
Lemon is also a time-honored hair lightener. The juice of two of the citrus fruits, strained into a quart of water, makes an excellent rinse that can be used in the same way as the chamomile preparation. Try to dry your hair in the sun after using a lemon rinse, in order to get the most from the treatment's lightening effect. The science: Roger Clemens, professor of molecular pharmacology and toxicology at the University of Southern California, said the acid in lemons, combined with oxygen and the sun’s UV rays, causes acid oxidation, which highlights or lightens hair. “It’s not an old wives’ tale or myth. It’s scientific fact,” he said. Of course, going out in the sun without lemon juice can lighten your hair, too. But the acid in the lemon juice serves as an accelerant, he said. The active ingredient is the limonene in lemons, which is most concentrated in the rind, said Dr. Francesca J. Fusco of Mount Sinai Medical Center. “It acts as a weak bleaching agent when exposed to sunlight,” the dermatologist said. - New York Times Source (http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:0xKJxk7H9YsJ:airwolf.lmtonline.com/living/archive/060406/living2.pdf)

Crysania
March 26th, 2007, 11:14 AM
is lemon drying enough to remove the natural shine from the hair permanently like chemicals would? if so i would never use it

if it lightens the hair too much the roots will be noticable so it wont look good

Nightshade
March 26th, 2007, 11:17 AM
If you bleach or zorch your hair in the sun bad enough you could damage that. The bigger concern, though, is burning your scalp. Getting a lemon solution on tender scalp skin and then going out in the sun can be bad news. The recipie I listed is pretty mild, so it'd be hard to cause a lot of damage with that.

Katze
March 27th, 2007, 03:33 AM
again, from experience, I don't think lemon is strong enough to really bleach the hair to the point where you see roots!

BUT citrus oils are photosynthesizers, which mean that they increase your sensitivity to sunlight. Hence my comment about burning...the sides of my face seemed almost to have a chemical burn last time I put lemon juice on my head and went out into the sun. So a word of caution to the pale skinned out there (Sig pic is WITH a dark tan).

I might try the chamo in the mister idea...that way I can strain it a bit better so I don"t get the bits.

~*Trish*~
March 27th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Thanks for all the useful info!! I'm going to try out the lemon tea and chammomile and see what happens. I'll try to keep everything else in my routine constant so that I can tell if the lemon is making any difference. Its just starting to get sunny here too....

Crysania
March 27th, 2007, 10:34 AM
in the summer, to have my hair exposed to the sun without having my face burnt i bought one of those caps that have no top
and i used to put a little sunscreen on the hairline with a q-tip
http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/ywxinxu/product-detailhbMJgOVcZnYj/China-No-Top-Cap-Kd23-.html

i didnt buy this one but something similar i found here :lol:

Shorty89
March 27th, 2007, 12:12 PM
I don't know anything about using tea but I use lemon juice mixed in with my conditioner on occasion. I use it for COing once a week and it does bring out my natural highlights, espcially if I go out in the sun. It doesn't give you lighter hair or highlights from what I've found but brings out what you have. As for it drying your hair, I find that if you mix it with conditioner and then wash it out after it doesn't dry my hair at all. That's my two cents.