Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : a lousy 100 grams of henna. enough to do a mini-treatment? ;)

FullBelly
March 21st, 2007, 07:00 AM
When I last ordered henna and indigo from an online supplier, they had sent me an extra 100-gram baggie, I imagine as a free sample of another variety henna. So now that I am due for another treatment (going on about 2 months now), but having little funds for a full purchase of henna/indigo, I think back to this unopened baggie and wonder if I could do some sort of mini-treatment, or something? My hair is a couple of inches below my shoulders- I usually do a 200-gram henna treatment. I am aware of the henna-conditioner mixes some people do for touch-ups, but I had tried that once and saw insignificant moisture/color results. What do you all think?

Morticia
March 21st, 2007, 07:04 AM
My hair is a little past waistlength, and 100g of henna is enough to cover all of my hair.

You could also do your roots with full strength henna and then use a henna gloss on the rest.

starfire
March 21st, 2007, 07:18 AM
If you thin out your mixture a bit, I think 100g will be enough to cover your hair. I have thick waist length hair and I can get away with using 200g for a thick paste (my hair is dark so I don't mind if I miss a few spots).

Or you could just order another 100g and combine the two bags.

AmandaPanda
March 21st, 2007, 07:45 AM
My hair is a little past waistlength, and 100g of henna is enough to cover all of my hair.

2nd. I have used only 50g of cassia to cover my entire head of hair (my hair is thick, too). When I hennaed, I used 100g

Nightshade
March 21st, 2007, 07:58 AM
I can do all of my length (near tailbone ii) with about 150 g of henna. To make application easier apply the henna to towel-dried hair. If your hair is dry it tends to leech the moisture out of the mix which makes it thicker and means it won't spread as easy. Also make sure you mix it about the consistancy of pancake batter.

I second the suggestion to make sure your roots are well-covered and then use conditioner to stretch it for the length.

FullBelly
March 21st, 2007, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the replies! Now my only reservation is going back to a henna-colored head, minus the indigo. Am I ready for vibrant red...? Hm!

Madam Librarian
March 21st, 2007, 09:07 AM
My hair is close in length to yours (past shoulders, almost at armpit length) and very fine and very thick. I only use 50g of henna, but lately it looks like I may need to up it to around 75g for a full head treatment.

Last henna I did I mixed 50g as normal, applied the straight mix to the roots only and mixed the leftover paste with a conditioner for a gloss treatment. I was quite pleased with the results, plus, this allows me to stretch the 50g if needed.

Mrar34
March 21st, 2007, 01:08 PM
How long have you been henndigo-ing? If you've done it quite a few times and have a darker base color, hennaing over it will give you more red, but it won't be TOO vibrant. Remember, henna doesn't "coat" your hair with color, it just combines with what you already have.

I second the full-strength henna on the roots and henna gloss over the rest.

Also, just for reference, my hair is BSL and I use 150 grams of whatever it is I'm using (henna + indigo, henna, etc) with half a bottle to a full bottle of V05 conditioner and it works fine. That how I got my extreme extreme last time! I used 100 grams once and I still got a lot of color, but not enough for me at that point.

FullBelly
March 22nd, 2007, 07:00 AM
I'm nervous about doing a roots treatment, because since last September, I have been doing both henna and indigo, and I fear straight henna will give me red roots, with the rest of my hair remaining dark, dark auburn (almost black). Silly, huh? I do so love the chemistry and mystery of henna- you never know exactly what it will do for you. Always a delightful surprise. :)

Anje
March 23rd, 2007, 09:05 AM
I do so love the chemistry and mystery of henna- you never know exactly what it will do for you. Always a delightful surprise. :)
I'm with you in that I like the surprise of henna. I only did a strand test the first time to make sure it wouldn't turn me green, then got the wonderful surprise of the flame color you see in my siggy. (It's calmer now.)

For the record, I buy cheap 4oz (113 g) boxes of henna at the grocery store, which is enough to color my just-past BSL hair.

TessGrey
March 23rd, 2007, 09:42 AM
My hair is about armpit length at this point and I use only 25-50g for a whole-head treatment. Really! My trick is to use "Thick It!" or "Thicken Up!" to thicken the henna dye liquid, though. This makes it *very* neat and it goes a looooong way. I leave it on overnight.

Your local Walgreen's, Osco, or Walmart will have either Thick It or Thicken Up. It will be in the geriatric care area, most likely. Ask and they'll show you. I love this stuff!

fairystar32
March 23rd, 2007, 11:25 AM
I'm nervous about doing a roots treatment, because since last September, I have been doing both henna and indigo, and I fear straight henna will give me red roots, with the rest of my hair remaining dark, dark auburn (almost black). Silly, huh? I do so love the chemistry and mystery of henna- you never know exactly what it will do for you. Always a delightful surprise. :)

i did this lasttime and my natural hair is medium brown witn no grey, i got very orangey roots and dark length, i ended up having to re do the roots with henna and indigo....

next time i just henna i am going to amake a very samll bit of hendigo just for the pating in my hair so you cannot see it so plainly and then just henna the rest...
natx

Keenkitty
March 23rd, 2007, 11:49 AM
Gelled Henna Recipe: K.J.s Blend
cup (4 ounces/100grams+/-) Henna powder
1 cup Black tea /Red Zinger Tea (12 ounces/350 grams)
2 Tbsp Olive Oil/Coconut Milk/Coconut Oil
Few drops favorite essential oil (if desired)
1 Tbsp Powdered pectin (about 1 oz/30 grams)
1 Tbsp AMLA powder
1 Tbsp Ground Cloves
1 Tbsp Cinnamon

The above is my recipe that I use. I loveses it.

As you see it only uses 50 grams of henna and I have BSL legnth hair.

Keen

Dyan
March 23rd, 2007, 04:27 PM
When I do roots-only, I've found that half that is plenty.