Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : *sigh* I think I need some help from you guys.

BeeLady
October 2nd, 2003, 12:33 AM
Hi............. I seem to be in a pit of hair depression and I am feeling very frustrated with my hair.

I had my trim, my ends are fuller (even my dh says so) and so things are good but I am not really putting on length very fast (half an inch in seven weeks). I am still shedding like crazy and although my hair feels good it all seems a bit.............well.....not really ok.

I know I had a lot of stress over the move and the emotional side of that still isn't right. I have been taking my vitamins and supplements more regularly than before (ie, I remember more days than I forget, rather than the other way about) because other problems (excema and IBS) benefit from them too, and they can be wildly stress related.

My routine is pretty much the same, and my hair doesn't seem to be having build up or other issues. The water is harder here, which might take some adjustments, but I am still doing pretty much what I was before:

CWC with cheap conditioner/naturals shampoo/naturals conditioner, either regular or deep treatment.

I have Paul Mitchell and some Monoi Shampoo for variety and deep cleaning when I use oils.

I haven't been oiling regularly recently as my shedding goes up when I do. I may need to just oil the length but I also oil my scalp for the benefit of my excema. Maybe I need to be more selective?

I use a vogueti paddle brush alongside Kent and Ace combs. My toys are mainly safe, and I use "hair hosiery" when I braid at night, and for most other ends that need securing. Unless they are tiny, then I use no-snag elastics thingys.

I take a womens multi-vit and A starflower oil capsule every day. I am looking into msm for shedding but am reluctant to take anything like biotin which hangs onto hair roots because of "problem hair" in other places.

Anyone got any suggestions, or do I just need to ride out the storm? I feel like I must be missing something somewhere.

Bees

Madeleine
October 2nd, 2003, 02:00 AM
I personally would say you're doing all the right things and just need to relax a little and wait it out :) When you're stressed out anyway try not to add your hair as another source of frustration (yes I know, that sounds easy in theory).

Wear you hair up as much as you can (maybe treat yourself to a new hair toy or make one - weren't you making hair sticks, too?) and try to forget about it until life is easier.

MSM did not lead to increased body hair for me BTW, it just normalized the shedding problem on my head.

merryrose31
October 2nd, 2003, 03:47 AM
Sending happy hair thoughts your way. :D

nastasska
October 2nd, 2003, 03:56 AM
Stress :twisted: I 've had a lot of stress since last December I find it sort of distorts my perception of how my hair really is I feel it's growing slowly and taking too long to get back where it was before the evil hairdresser got to it but everyone says it has grown a lot.Have you tried relaxation tapes.They help me.It's hard to view things objectively when the evil stress monster is clamped on your back :twisted:

TammySue
October 2nd, 2003, 04:17 AM
Bees, sounds to me too like you are doing all the right things! I also get stressed and my scalp suffers and at times I get so frustrated with my hair.

Hang in there and know that I love your beautiful long hair!

Big Hug,

ladybug
October 2nd, 2003, 04:30 AM
((((((((((BeeLady)))))))))))

Sounds like you're doing all the right thigs. I like Madeleine's suggestion of wearing your hair up as much as you can. That may take your mind off it.

The only thing I can think of is to maybe skip measuring your hair for a while. You know what they say, "A watched pot never boils" ;)

Best of luck to you in getting settled in your new environment, and I hope your hair starts behaving soon!

Ladybug

Karen
October 2nd, 2003, 06:10 AM
my suggestions are:

adding flax seed oil and MSM and grapeseed extract.
the first has helped my excema and the second and third have helped my shedding.

with all of them, you need to be consistent and give them a few weeks to work.

Chamomile betty
October 2nd, 2003, 09:06 AM
I think you got some wonderful advice :D

As for the biotin, I have not really noticed that much a difference in my hair growth in other areas. I have always had to shave almost everyday so that's no biggie for me.
But no excess hair that wasn't there before.

I have been taking Biotin for 2 1/2 years and no probs.

Hope this helps ;)

snippet
October 2nd, 2003, 09:32 AM
(((((( Bees ))))))
Everyone gave you some good advice (of which I'm taking notes and will implement myself) so I won't repeat it. I just wanted to give you a hug and send good thoughts your way.

Heidi
October 2nd, 2003, 10:51 AM
((((Bees)))) I can really only ditto what snippet said. I just bought some MSM this morning to help with my shedding.

Post a picture--we'll make you glow over your hair!

Teacherbear
October 2nd, 2003, 05:18 PM
Hey there Bees!!

I had a few thoughts.

I'm beginning to wonder about the part that water plays on our hair. I use to think it was quite insignificant . . . but I'm beginning to think it must be pretty large.

Also, you said you are doing pretty much the same thing you've been doing. Maybe it is time to shake up your system/program.

Maybe I suggest that because I think it is about time for ME to change things up. I don't know.

Anyway . . . hang in there girl! ((((((((((((((((((((((((((Bees)))))))))))))))))))) ))))))))))))))))

Anne
October 2nd, 2003, 10:04 PM
((((((((((Bees)))))))))))

I'm praying for you, sending you good thoughts :D

You mentioned IBS, could it be that you're losing nutrients because of that condition? Everything else sounds good.

Maybe try taking your supplements at times you're normally more relaxed and less likely to have symptoms/lose nutrients. (I'm assuming you have IBS-D)

Are there times during the day or evening when you aren't having trouble?

Siobhan
October 3rd, 2003, 04:17 AM
Oohhhhhh Bees, with all the stresses and changes you've had lately (& now we're very much moving into autumn) at least this is not unexpected. Sounds as if you are doing all the right things, maybe some of your shampoos etc work better in the water you had before or this is simply a readjustment time. You know as we all do that patience is the best thing with growing & maintaining long hair, so maybe do an oil treatment (I recently did one after my wonderful clarifying experience and was most impressed after having not done one for ages) and try out up do's and concentrate on settling into your new surroundings
(PS would be great if your could make London too to see Madelaine)