Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Alba kukui nut oil

FroandBeyond
March 6th, 2007, 08:39 AM
I just purchased Alba kukui nut oil...is anyone else here using it? How so?

It smells pretty good...kinda sweet.

Edited to Add: I wrote an email to my Native Hawaiian "Uncle" to get a better sense of the traditional use of KuKui nut oil. This is his reply:

per your question about the kukui nut oil, do you have the oil itself or is it in some type of lotion or what? the oil itself is used to rub on wood to keep give a beautiful finish and cleaning. just a little on the skin, not too much to soften and give it a glow. the oil from the nut is used for fluid for light. and of course, there are other things that it can be use medicinally and for food flavoring.
well, I hope this helped some. take care and god bless. my aloha to you and the rest of the gang. until then...
aloha,
uncle

Moezland
March 6th, 2007, 10:51 AM
I've never used it, but it sounds interesting. Hope someone who has used it responds.

Tinyrat
March 6th, 2007, 11:34 AM
i've tried kukui nut oil, and i think yours must be scented with something because the one i had smelled like natural gas (like a gas stove) and was really unpleasant. it was a nice moisturizer for skin (didnt try it on my hair) but it stunk so bad that i had to quit using it. i got mine from some place on my vacation in hawaii and the people i bought it from just raved about it. if i could find one that didnt stink then i would get some more, it was a very nice skin oil.

talullah
March 6th, 2007, 11:41 AM
My mom brought this stuff back from Hawaii. I've never used it on my hair either, but it's great for eczema! The one I have doesn't smell at all, I just tested it to be sure. The brand is Oils of Aloha. My mom will kill me if I "waste" it on my hair, she really needs it for her skin and the bottle's almost gone. So I can't be a guinea pig. :silly:

Flaxen
March 6th, 2007, 11:48 AM
I also like kukui nut oil on skin rather than hair. It is good on hair, too, though. It is supposed to be air permeable on the skin as well as be good for psoriasis. I purchased kukui oil at Mountain Rose Herbs (http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bulkoil/d-l.php).

Wavelength
March 6th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Maybe the smell is the difference between refined and unrefined?

Pani_Mniszek
March 6th, 2007, 12:23 PM
I think the scent must be something Alba dreamed up. I have a tub of Alba skin cream with kukui nut oil that smells mostly like brown sugar--mmmm!--with a faint unpleasant undernote that I suspect is the real kukui nut smell.

Whatever. It makes my scaly elbows softer, whether it's the kukui nut oil or some other ingredient.

--PM

going gray
March 6th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Wow, another strange oil to try, my goodness this site is just full of information.

aktj01
March 6th, 2007, 12:46 PM
I have that Alba's kukui nut oil. It's a bit greasy on my skin, but it smells heavenly. Ha.

Garnett
March 6th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Ive been drooling over this one at www.camdengrey.com - but until I start working again, its kukui not oil for me. :lol: Please, keep us updated on how you like (or dont like) it!

mira-chan
March 6th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I have some Kukui oil that I brought in Hawaii. It certainly doesn't smell sweet. I mix it in with shea butter and camellia oil for my hair ends/ skin moisturizer. Its a bit thick to use on hair as is and softened shea butter is easier to handle (no spills)... and I like the unrefined shea butter smell than Kukui oil smell.

FroandBeyond
March 7th, 2007, 02:36 AM
Thanks everyone...I will let you know how it go. I will try it later this week or next week on my hair. It's a blend of oils, so that's why it probably smells heavenly instead of like "motorcar oil."

SarieQ
March 7th, 2007, 04:05 AM
I get my kukui nut oil from Mountain Rose Herbs. I've been using it for a month now and love it! I mixed 1/3 cup kukui nut oil, 2 T pumkin seed oil, 2 T hazelnut oil and use that for my OWM on face and body. My skin loves it! It really helped to combat the dryness this time of year and I had a nice dewy look and no blemishes! I've never tried it on my hair, though.

FroandBeyond
March 7th, 2007, 12:19 PM
I plan on using it on my skin today.

Also, I asked my Uncle for information on Traditional Hawaiian Hair care practices...I'm waiting for his reply. The time zone is 6 hours behind mine, so he was probably sleep when i sent the questions. So, I when he response I will start a new thread, i think it will be interesting since he tries to preserve the Hawaiian traditions

FroandBeyond
March 10th, 2007, 08:03 AM
UPDATE:

After I washed my hair with Bath and Body works shampoo and conditioner, I put the Alba Kukui nut oil in my hair and scalp while damp. I styled my hair in rope braids/ 2 strand twists. They are soft and glisten...I think this oil is going to work for my hair and body for a while.

maighdean
March 10th, 2007, 08:14 AM
I am travelling to Hawaii this summer and I may consider purchasing a bottle. Is it very expensive? Where would I find it?

FroandBeyond
March 10th, 2007, 01:16 PM
I haven't purchased Kukui Nut oil...actually this is a blend of oils. YOu can find Alba Kukui nut oil at the health food store. In Hawaii, it is common to find monoi tahiti oil, and pure coconut oil in the sun tanning lotion section.

What part of Hawaii are you going to?

maighdean
March 10th, 2007, 01:56 PM
I am going to as many islands as I can. It is a cruise .

Niniane
March 10th, 2007, 09:10 PM
maighdean, I picked up some straight kukui oil at a Longs Drugs in Hawai'i. I don't think it was terribly expensive. I don't remember what brand it is, and my boyfriend's asleep on my lap so I can't get up right now :rolleyes: I'll try to remember to check that later.

Consistency wise, it's heavier than jojoba, lighter than olive oil. Mainly I use it on the scalp, it's good for the itchy flakies, and I'll use it on the length when I want a heavier oiling. I'm trying to be frugal with my bottle though since I won't be going back till October.

And seriously, if you can get to a Longs, that's the place to pick up macadamias, coffee, and other gift type things to bring home. We usually stock up on hawaiian themed gift wrapping there too.

FroandBeyond
March 11th, 2007, 02:27 PM
O yes, Long Drugs is very common in Hawaii.

I hope you have fun Maighdean.

The only problem I had in Honolulu with find oils was that many merchants said they never heard of coconut oil or mango butter only because they wanted me to use their scented oils. Also, one told me that oils never become a solid, which is wrong especially about coconut oil. So be careful, and use your knowledge from here.

Also, Hilo's downtown area (if you go) have a health food store. If I remember anything else I will let you know.