Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Henna: After the mud is gone, how long for it to fully oxidize on your hair?

jastreb
February 11th, 2007, 08:31 PM
I'm waiting to wash my hair after my first henna. Other people have posted that the general oxidation process after its all rinsed out is anywhere between 24-72 hours. How long did it take on your hair and was any part of the process more intense? ie: (I read this someplace) "My hair took about 3 days to fully achieve its final color, but the majority of the change happened in the first day or so...".

jastreb
February 11th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I can't answer this yet, since my last application was just 24 hours ago, but the color has intensified about two shades darker and a bit redder, than the burnt orange I had last night.
My hair is a dark blonde/ light brown to start off with and 5-10% very resistant greys (even expensive perm chemical dyes just turn these baby pink). The henna turned these bright copper, which looks great with the brownish red. I'm monitoring how the color changes over the next few days and just wondering about other people's experiences.

soprano
February 11th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Mine always takes several days to oxidize. My friends can tell when I've touched up my roots because the color is brighter; it seems to take 3-4 days to really calm down, although the color is always quite natural - strangers don't comment on it. ever. I'm a natural blonde, if that helps.

Nightshade
February 12th, 2007, 05:28 AM
With my new half henna half cassia mix my hair oxidizes a LOT faster, after 24 hours there is very little color change, but I think it shifts a bit up until 48 hours.

When I was using henna with turmeric or just plain henna I found that the oxidation time was a lot longer, up to 3-4 days.

Awesome idea for a poll :rockerdud:

ETA: I just added this thread into my henna article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1009097#post1009097)!

granitbaby
February 12th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Mine takes 2 or sometimes 3 days to oxidize, but as Nightshade said; cassia speeds it up. When I didn't use cassia I would take almost a week for my colour to oxidize!

The first days my roots have this light orange glow but thankfully it fades to a (for me) better looking shade of deep golden red-brown. :inlove:

Koala Kim
February 12th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Final color achieved in 24-48 hours, w/ the most noticeable color change in the 1st 48 hours.

I judge the oxidation process by the color of my sparklers since they're the most noticable. :grin: The color pretty much settles down within 48 hours, going from a bright orangey color to a nice copper. :cloud9:

ohjezebel
February 12th, 2007, 05:46 PM
It takes 2-3 days (48-72) hours for my color to fully oxidize. The BRIGHT ORANGE tintgoes away after the first 24 hours or so, then the color deepens to its final red over the next day or two (hr24-72).

JennyP
February 14th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Mine seems to be oxidized by the time the orange stripes on my skin have faded. :D

Maybe I'll have to try some cassia soon.

jastreb
February 15th, 2007, 09:03 PM
I can finally answer my own poll! :D
I feel like my color developed gradually from a bright penny orange to a burnt orange/amber in about 3 days. It looks much browner inside and very red outside. I like it.

jastreb
February 15th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Also, I realized while rereading the poll that the second to the last option should have read, "Final color achieved in 48-72 hours, w/ the most noticeable color change in the 2nd 48 hours". :oops: I'm sorry if I confused anyone. I tried to edit the poll but I can't seem to work it out. Does anyone know how to change it?

jastreb
February 16th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Thank you Dianyla for changing the poll to make sense. :)

CopperHead
February 16th, 2007, 02:06 PM
So far I've noticed about two days to get the deeper red around the edges. I have only done two applications, so this might change. I am going to do another next week, so I will keep closer check on it. I kind of like the look of lighter roots showing through my darker length when I put it up. :smile:

cortese
February 17th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Picked "other" since my hair is so dark that I'mnot sure the henna did anything but add a reddish glow even from the start. I'm going to rehenna/indigo tomorrow, so maybe my roommate can tell.

Elika
February 18th, 2007, 01:37 PM
For me it usually takes two days for the roots to darken from orangeish to a reddish brown.

Josephine
February 18th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Mine used to take a few days to oxidize the orange on my grey to a deeper tone, but since I've been boiling the heck out of whole cloves, then near pureeing them, squeezing out the liquid and using that to mix my henna, the time has cut way down. There's practically no orange at all, just an intense fiery red that darkens over time.