Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Why is my hair getting shorter?

Pierre
February 8th, 2007, 03:06 PM
For the past few months my hair has been getting shorter. I'm not doing anything different besides eating raw, I'm not getting lots of splits, and it's still just as soft as ever. Any idea why?

PatGear
February 8th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Is it getting curlier? I found that my hair got wavier when I started taking better care of it. That could make a big difference in perceived length. Unless it's still shorter even stretched, then I have no idea.

snowbear
February 8th, 2007, 03:16 PM
It could be curlier, dry, or breaking off.

DavidN
February 8th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Hi Pierrre,

I find that my hair gets straighter in dry weather and wavier in humid wether. The wavier my hair is, the shorter it appears. Was the weather really dry when your hair seemed longer and more humid now? As you have 3a type hair, considerably curlier than mine, this effect would probably be even more noticeable in your case.

The only other possibility, and a remote one, is that you have reached terminal length and this is now decreasing, but I think that this is HIGHLY unlikely as your hair appears healthy and thick.

David

LisaJaney
February 8th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Hey Pierre! I was just wondering, the other day, where you'd run off to! (Actually, my thoughts were more along the lines of, "I'd bet Pierre would understand this math!" Calculus is a BEAST, just so you know. :scared: )

Sorry to hear your hair seems shorter -- my money's on the "humidity curling it up more" theory, and will be anxious to hear if that's the case.

Denise
February 8th, 2007, 05:03 PM
I think I'll go along similar lines as the majority so far--the fact that your hair is getting shorter is probably because it's getting longer. :lol: Meaning, since you have 3A type hair, I'm thinking it gets curlier and coils up as it gets longer; this happens to a friend of mine who has 3A (but very coarse) hair, but one wouldn't know it's curly until it grows out several inches--and it literally grows out until it's yet several inches longer. Does it seem shorter if you take a hank and pull it straight? Also, what is your hair like when it's short (like an inch or so)?

paradoxx
February 8th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Ummm.. I actually have a different idea. After one of my friends went on a vegan raw diet, her hair started breaking off, falling out, etc. It turned out that this was caused by a protein deficiency. I'm not saying that this is your issue, but I know that it is easy to develop such a deficiency if you are not very careful on a raw diet. I just thought that I would share this with you. :flower:

Denise
February 8th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Oops, :oops: somehow didn't see the part about the raw diet, which can possibly result in a protein deficiency. You mentioned lack of splits, but are there any white dots on your ends (i.e. breakage)? What you could do is to stand on a large, white piece of cloth or paper for easy visibility and do a thorough combing of your hair, then check out what's fallen onto the paper or cloth (and do this daily for several days). Are there lots of short segments along with the usual full-length hairs? This would indicate breakage.

Pierre
February 8th, 2007, 08:09 PM
I've been raw about eight months (see my journal), which at the standard rate is about 100 mm. That hasn't hit the ends of my hair yet.

I do eat tempeh, which is a living food though not truly raw, and in summer I eat avocados, which have protein. I can tell when I don't have enough.

I've been spending most of my forum time on Raw Food Talk, and stopping here at least once a month to log my length, and saying a few things here and there.

Some people have reported that their hair fell out when they went raw, but then grew back thicker.

Katze
February 9th, 2007, 12:06 AM
what comes to mind for me is enough "good" fat. Essential fatty acids, such as flax seed, are really important for connective tissue building/rebuilding (and good mood!). Could this be your issue?

Either that or it's just getting curlier?

Poppy Seed
February 9th, 2007, 12:10 AM
That does seem odd. In the absence of me having anything helpful to say: I hope you work out a solution, and also (along wiht many others), maybe it's the curl?

The whole thing about raw vegan food wouldn't have occurred to me...so maybe they're right about that??

Good luck anyway - hope it does get longer AND start growing back thicker!

Gaelic Girl
February 10th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Hi there,

I think it might be the curse of the long curlies. I've had a similar problem for months now, even though I've stopped trimming (just dusting) and have started eating more protein.

In any case...good luck with it! I hope you find a solution!
GG