Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : My hair is so fried after getting highlights!!!!

jrowney
October 14th, 2003, 01:17 PM
:x Yuck! I can't imagine what would have happened if I bleached all my hair. It would all be broken off! The highlights are bright and brassy in places, and frizzed in others. Overall the color looks good but the texture of my hair is awful now. It's been almost 2 weeks and I'm oiling and deep conditioning with no improvement. If anything, I think it's worse.
HELP!!!!! Any suggestions to repair my hair would be appreciated. I hate to think I'm going to grow it out just to cut if off. :(
Boo Hooing,
Jackie

Meezer
October 14th, 2003, 02:12 PM
:x Yuck! I can't imagine what would have happened if I bleached all my hair.

I often think about this, too. Whenever I get the "urge" to keep my hair short and dye it "Meg Ryan" blonde, I remind myself that it will NOT feel so great afterwards.

I really don't know what to tell you about your highlights. I only recently stopped coloring/highlighting my hair since cutting off all of the chemically processed parts a little over a month ago. It's short now, but it's healthy.

Maybe you just need a small trim?

I hope that things start feeling better for you...

scarlett
October 14th, 2003, 02:21 PM
It's OK hon, you still have your hair. My advice? Don't cut. You hair condition certainly won't be getting any worse with your careful treatment so you have plenty of time to make a decision and experiment with repairs.

The ladies here have many many treatments and fixes for you to try.

A couple of questions: what percentage of your hair is highlighted? How long did your hair "cook?" Has this person colored your hair before?

You might want to try a protein treatment (check the recipes sections). A very mild acidic rinse might help close the cuticle.

To correct the brassiness there are color correctors in the beauty supply stores you can add to you conditioner or shampoo. I use one from sally beauty supply to occasionally brighten my hair.

Strangely enough, some coloring products might help add shine back. As long as you stick to temporary colors or the Robert Craig colors (these are permanent ones that aren't damaging). Madelaiene hopefully will pop in with some advice--she has fabulously shiny hair and she Hennas.

You'll be OK, we'll fix ya up!
(((((((hug)))))))

Phyllislechat
October 14th, 2003, 03:36 PM
Did the stylist/colorist trim your hair after it was highlighted? Mine does, and it helps get rid of just those little ends that got fried. I also use a deep conditioner like Wella Cholesterol afterwards.

Katrine
October 14th, 2003, 09:34 PM
I have found that using hot oil treatments really helps. I didn't use them in the past because I don't think I was using them properly. I fill a coffee cup with water and put it in the microwave for about one minute. You want the water to be pretty hot, but not boiling or scalding. Careful when you take it out of the microwave. I put the tube of hot oil in the cup and put the cup on the vanity next to the shower. I recently used one of those tubes you can grab from a basket at Sally's, Queen Helene's Jojoba Hot Oil Treatment. When you're ready to apply the hot oil, just open the tube and apply to your ends and length. Then gently wrap your hair over the top of your head and cover it with a towel or cap if you have one. The warmth from the towel being on your head will also help the oil treatment to penetrate your hair. I found that really made my hair feel soft and shiny, my hair just sucks the hot oil up. Don't give up on your hair yet! Hope this helps. :D

nastasska
October 14th, 2003, 10:30 PM
I had a bad highlight experience once she did not just fry it she broke off a lot of hair as well :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I used apricot oil and leave in conditoner.

jules
October 14th, 2003, 11:17 PM
Hi Jacki,

I've been there too, so I know how you feel! I've also had to bleach my hair completely (I went through a black-hair phase, then it wouldn't budge using any other method) so, yeah, I'm definitely glad you don't have to know what that feels like. :D

It sounds like you're taking very good care of your hair, so I would recommend just a tiny trim, and perhaps investing in the richest deep conditioner you can find. Also, just try holding off on the oil for a while: if you check out the Polls and Projects board, there's an oiling poll that seems to suggest that oiling isn't too good for people with coloured hair (just a generalisation, mind you, but worth trying IMHO). Oh, and use distilled water to rinse your hair before and after washing, and keep it clarified... and keep coming back here for advice! :D

Take care hon,
Jules xx

Edited to add: I just noticed that my advice totally contradicted Katrine's, but not on purpose: I don't have a personal vendetta against you Katrine! Sorry if it looks like that... ;)

Katrine
October 14th, 2003, 11:39 PM
I did want to clarify that I do color my hair and that oils have been really beneficial. You've gotten lots of input which is great, some of these things will work for you and some won't.
I had a horrible experience at a salon several years ago. I used to double process my hair, it was colored lt. golden blonde and I would perm on top of that. I was lucky the first time I did it, my hair managed to come through it okay. But then I went to this horrible salon where they had two different girls wrap my hair for the perm, they used spiral rods which you never use for someone with fine hair, and they never asked if I had any bleach in my hair. My former stylist had brushed some bleach on the bangs and sides of my hair. My hair looked and felt awful after the perm! The ends were just falling off because they were so fried. It took several years for all that to grow out. I'm so thankful it finally did. I wish I would have known then what I know now. I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience with your hair. But it will get better, don't give up. And you'll find all kinds of support and information here to help you on your way.

Note to Jules: :) I didn't think you were trying to contradict me. I just wanted to clarify that I color my hair and the oils have worked for me. Everything's cool! :)

kc
October 15th, 2003, 02:54 AM
Hi - I had my hair highlighted several times before finally getting it colored back to more of my natural color last December. Because of all the abuse, my hair still has the tendency to be dry looking and tangles very easily. It is starting to get back into shape somewhat. Here are the things that I have been trying to do consistently that I feel have helped.

1. Don't use any heat appliances at all.
2. Loreal Mega Moisture (I can't emphasize that one enough). I use it everytime and also use it while wearing a plastic cap on my head and getting underneath the hair dryer for 20 minutes. This stuff is great.
3. I use a wide-tooth comb all the time (no brushes).
4. Do a deep conditioning treatment at least once a week.

These things have really helped to get my hair back into shape better. Good luck and let us know how things are going.

Rhiannon
October 15th, 2003, 03:10 AM
Hi Jackie,

You poor thing. I did the same thing last summer. I knew I was growing my hair out to, what was I thinking? For starters I paid alot of $$$ to have a foil highlight done in a salon then to add insult I had two rather obvious white chunks where she had taken to much hair. I really regretted it once my regrowth became such an obvious contrast.

I did a strand test with henna and because of the porosity it turned green. Talk about hair gone bad. Always, always, always do a strand test, no exceptions to this rule.

I talked to Hollie about Robert Craig Hair Color and gave that a try. I bought a porosity filler at Sally's and used that first. The color came out beautiful. I honestly feel my hair felt better after the color that before. Also it doesn't feel like color treated hair when it is wet.

Just keep in mind just because it worked beautifully for me and Hollie does not mean it will work for you. Do a strand test.

Give up all heat appliances as well. This single thing has done more for my hair than the museum of hair care products I have. I know this stinks when you are going from a style that requires heat styling to long hair but it is absolutely essential. My hair actually has shine now.

Keep us posted,
Rhiannon

jrowney
October 15th, 2003, 05:30 AM
It's so nice to have someone sympathize with me. My husbands just looks at me with that "what did you do this time.." look. :argue:
I've been getting regular, tiny trims off the length to grow out layers. I had a trim just a week before, and no, she didn't trim right after the highlighting. I had about 2/3 of my head done, but in very slim sections. I purposely asked her to do it about 1/2 she normally would. I just wanted to blend in my gray so I could grow it out.

Rhiannon- I also got a couple of big chunks that I'm thinking of getting fixed. They stick out like a sore thumb.

Well, I'll just keep deep conditioning and try a hot oil treatment, too.
Thanks,
Jackie :rolleyes:

bunniee
October 16th, 2003, 07:02 PM
I highly recommend Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner, which was originally designed for chemically damaged hair. I used it daily after I fried my hair stripping out black dye, then colouring over it. I used a moisturizing conditioner after the GPB treatment so my hair would not get brittle from too much protein. My hair was so terribly weak after stripping & dyeing, I could not even get a comb through it without breakage. I trimmed off the worst of the damage, but it was still in bad shape. Using the GPB made a huge difference, and I credit it with saving my hair.

bunniee

October 17th, 2003, 05:16 AM
I did that and more to my hair. 2 years ago i bleached my hair 4 times within 6 months (twice in the same night once!) i did not cut it off. i dedicated an entire 30 days to repairing my hair (a start at least) it was so bad it was white and spongy and it snapped off even when dry. it IS possible to regain your hair back. and it doesnt even sound like your hair is that badly damaged (compared to mine!)
i wish i had my old hair journal here, i would write step by step what i did to repair my hair. basically, i wore it up all day at work, soaking in a conditioner, and oil or something protein. at night i would soak it in olive oil before shampooing (before i knew about CO or CWC) and then deep condition with john freida deep conditioner for blondes. (it in a little gold jar, its great. i think it would even work great on non-blondes!)

ive been using REDKEN CAT RECONSTRUCTOR for the past week. my hair isnt half as damaged as it was 2 years ago, but the CAT has done amazing things so far. Its a high protein liquid that literally rebuilds your hair from the outside. i use it on dry hair and let it soak in overnite. or i apply after i air dry. the directions say to rinse. i have read rave reviews on this stuff saying it was the ONLY product that pulled their hair out of hair hell.

the bleached parts are still on maybe the last 4 inches of my hair. one day it will all be gone and i will never touch blonde again.