Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Pictures of grey hair coloured with sage?

Cathy88z
January 15th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Hi,
I have been colouring my hair with henna for the last 5 or 6 months, and I love it. I have about 50-60% grey (natural colour brunette). I have been thinking about using sage instead, mainly because of the regrowth line. It is always so obvious!! After two weeks it is like a white line down my head.

I have heard that sage will just give a bit of colour to the grey, and the regrowth won't be so noticeable. I am also toying with the idea that some time in the future, i may want to just let the grey show. If I keep hennaing, it will be difficult with growing out the grey, because of the obvious look. I am only 47, and not sure if I want to be 'all grey' yet.

Are there any pictures anywhere of women who have used sage to cover their grey hair? Or maybe a really good description of how much colour I can expect. If it just takes away the 'greyness' for now, I would be happy.

Thanks Cathy

unaspenser
January 16th, 2007, 12:06 AM
I don't know anything about using sage for color, but I wanted to suggest a couple of routes for growing out... you could try Nightshade's method, which uses heat and oils to leech out as much color as possible, then colorfix shampoo to remove even more. You could try to make the transition more gentle by doing henna glosses instead of full on mud treatments...

What color does sage make your hair? I'd love to learn more!

Rini
January 16th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Hi Cathy, I am currently growing out my henna and plan on doing henna/indigo glosses on my silver roots. It is supposed to give a "blonde" look to the silver hair, so you are kind of growing out your greys, but subtley.

I don't know much about Sage, but I'm sure the lovely Nightshade will be along shortly with some advice for you :D

physicschick
January 16th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Sage has a much lower success rate than henna. I tried rinsing with a tea that included sage after every wash for months, but the color never built up enough to cover white hairs. I can recall only one member who successfully covered gray by doing tea rinses (13bodies, who never posted a picture of it). Rini's and unaspenser's advice should have a better chance of working. Sorry I can't help you more. Good luck.

--physicschick

Nightshade
January 16th, 2007, 06:47 AM
::chuckles:: Hi, Rini. Hey, did you see the catnip rinse in my article? That's supposed to help color grays blonde.

ktaniís Gray to Light Blonde Catnip Rinse- Gives a light blonde color to gray or white hair.
1 level tsp organic cut and sifted catnip
250 mL ( ~ little more than 1 C) water
Put catnip into a heat resistant large mug and add boiling water. Cover and steep for 30 mins. Deactivate it by straining it into a second large mug and always tap the condensation from the cover - I use a saucer, into the cup or mug - it contains the volatile oils and cover again. When cooled strain into plastic bottle - if made in advance will keep up to a week or longer in the fridge. Wash your hair then work the catnip through and cover with a plastic bag or shower cap. Leave on 30 minutes then rinse. If you like condition afterwards - I do not - it is not necessary - catnip conditions as well. I do my hair twice sort of - I wash with my hair forward in the shower so I do the back, sides and length, pin it up, cover 30 minutes. Then take down and do the front, top and sides and cover for another 30 min. with the length out of the bag. Then I take the bag off and let it "cool" down and use some more on my extra grey parts for another 10 min or so before rinsing it all out. Result - no grey/white showing at all. Color - light blonde - catnip produces a light yellow dye or stain. Does not stain tub, shower, hands, scalp or fingernails. I do this every time I wash my hair - time consuming but extremely worth it.

Sage is supposed to give a brown color to help blend grays into brunette hair. I've never done it myself, but since I have some moair and sage at home I suppose I could add that to my list of experiments. You may want to try rinsing with catnip or tea first to get some tannins in there to help the sage dye fix. Here's the recipie I have for sage rinses:

Sage or Tag Alder Bark Rinse- Helps to deepen the hues of brunette hair, may help blend in grays.
1 handful sage herb
1 quart water
or
1 ounce tag alder bark
1 quart water
A sage rinse can be made by steeping a handful of the dried herb in a quart of boiling water for 30 minutes (longer, if you want a darker tint). Cool the infusion, strain it, and pour it through freshly shampooed hair 15 or more times. Then wait ten minutes before washing the liquid out with clear cool water. Because a sage rinse is a progressive dye, you'll have to apply it weekly until you produce the shade you want and then continue using it once a month to maintain that color.
Tag alder bark is another popular hair darkening botanical, but it generally produces a lighter tone than sage, so it's best when used to darken blond hair or to cover gray in locks that are light to medium brown. To make a tag alder rinse, simmer an ounce of bark chips in a quart of water for about half an hour then cool and use it exactly as you would the sage rinse.

You could also try Jason Color Enhancing Shampoo (http://www.folica.com/Jason_Color_Enh_d1213.html)s.

missy60
January 16th, 2007, 07:39 AM
nightshade you have tried the catnip recipe?

Nightshade
January 16th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Nope, but ktani uses it and swears by it. :) It's so light it would never show on my hair.

Cathy88z
January 16th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Thanks everyone! I have ordered some sage off ebay, but I will try the catnip first. My hair looks so much better since I have stopped the chemical colouring & started taking real care of it.

I would love to cut off the damaged length, but I couldnt bring myself to start growing all over again. Especially since i have spent so much lately on hair toys!

Thanks again

Cathy

Rini
January 16th, 2007, 05:08 PM
catnip....hmmmmm :ponder: Thanks nightshade!

ktani
January 16th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Rini, Catnip does work - sorry I have no pictures - I have to get some taken then learn how to post them.

If you decide to try catnip and want some help just post or pm me.

Nightshade, thank you for the mention. BTW, sage contains tannins - see the urls below.

Cathy88z
Here is some information on sage
"---Chemical Constituents---The chief constituent of Sage and its active principle is a yellow or greenish-yellow volatile oil (sp. gr. 0.910 to 0.930) with a penetrating odour. Tannin and resin are also present in the leaves, 0.5 to 1.0 per cent of the oil is yielded from the leaves and twigs when fresh, and about three times this quantity when dry."
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/s/sages-05.html#comche

Here is more information on sage including some warnings.
"Sage Adverse Reactions
Cheilitis, stomatitis, dry mouth, and local irritation. Patients with preexisting hypertension should closely monitor systolic and diastolic blood pressure when using the herb."
http://www.drugs.com/npp/sage.html

This url has a specific reference to hair as well as warnings and other information.
"Applications in Herbal Therapy
As a hair rinse, it purportedly maintains natural color and slows down the graying process and hair loss."

"Safety Precautions
•Do not use in pregnancy and lactation, since its thujone content may cause uterine motility. •Do not use internally in small children. •Do not use internally in patients with nervous disorders, since large doses may cause CNS seizures and vertigo. •Tachycardia may be a side effect in hypersensitive people. •Use only under professional supervision in diabetic patients. •The volatile essential oil may cause epileptiform convulsions if taken internally."
http://www.herbalsafety.utep.edu/literature.asp?pk=18

Many herbs contain tannins. Herbs with a high tannin content tend to be very astringent. You can however dilute solutions to customize and/or add other ingredients to offset the astrigency.

A quick way to check if a herb is a strong astringent is to google the herb name as well as properties and see where in the description the word astringent is located. If it is listed at the beginning that usually indicates the herb has a fairly strong astringent quality.

Here is a list of herbs with a very high tannin content.

Common herbs with significantly high tannin content:
• Acacia catechu (Catechu wood extract ) 220-500,000ppm
• Agrimonia eupatoria (Agrimony plant) 50,000-80,000 ppm
• Alnus glutinosa (Black Alder Bark) 200,000 ppm
• Arctostaphylos uva-ursi (Bearberry Plant) 60,000-200,000 ppm
• Areca catechu (Betel Nut Seed) 150,000-250,000 ppm
• Camellia sinensis (Tea leaf ) 90,000-130,000ppm
• Coffea arabica (Coffee Seed) 90,000 ppm
• Geranium maculatum (Cranesbill ) 100,00-125,000ppm
• Hammamelis virginiana (Witch Hazel) 150,000 ppm
• Heuchera americana (Alum root) 90,000-200,000ppm
• Ilex paraguariensis (Mate Leaf) 40,000-160,000 ppm
• Juglans nigra (Black Walnut Fruit) 147,000 ppm
• Krameria triandra (Rhatany Root) 80,000-200,000ppm
• Myrica cerifera (Bayberry bark)
• Polygonum bistorta (Bistort rhizome) 115,000-120,000ppm
• Potentilla erecta (Tormentil)
• Pinus sylvestris (Scotch Pine Bark) 169,000 ppm
• Punica granatum (Pomegranate Rind, Root Bark) <280,000 ppm
• Quercus alba (White Oak Bark) 78,500-200,000 ppm
• Quercus infectoria (Oak galls) 400,000-700,000ppm
• Rubus idaeus (Red Raspberry Leaf) 100,000-120,000 ppm
• Rubus villosus (Blackberry root bark) 100,000-130,000ppm
• Rumex acetosella (Sheep Sorrel Root) 80,000-140,000 ppm
• Rumex crispus (Curly Dock Root) 30,000-60,000 ppm
• Salix alba (White Willow Bark) 50,000-70,000 ppm
• Thymus vulgaris (Common Thyme Plant) 80,000-100,000 ppm
• Tsuga canadensis (Eastern Hemlock Bark) 100,000-150,500 ppm
• Vaccinium myrtillus (Bilberry Leaf, Fruit) 60,000-200,000 ppm
http://home.caregroup.org/clinical/altmed/interactions/Herb_Groups/GI_Modifiers-_T.htm

Pilgrim
January 16th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Just thought I would mention that I had no color deposit after using a sage tea rinse for several weeks (though I'd read you might after several months). Also, I found it very drying.