Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : orange juice as a hair wash???

ladyceleste
December 10th, 2006, 06:35 AM
I have decided to go no poo because I have had some problems with the ingredients in most of the poos I've tried, even the "natural" ones. So I was talking to my mom and telling her I might try a baking soda wash, but I have read some conflicting things here about it. I tend to have dry hair anyway, and I'm just not sure that this is the thing for me. I don't want to use it all the time, but I'm still just not sure about it.

My mom told me that she read somewhere about people using freshly queezed orange juice to wash hair. She tried it for a while and didn't notice any drying, but didn't see that it was getting the grease out either. She would just juice an orange and take the juice into the shower with her.

Has anyone had any luck with this kind of thing? I might try it before I give the baking soda a try and wanted to get some opinions, advice.

Thanks!

Tinyrat
December 10th, 2006, 06:49 AM
ive never heard of oragnges being used, but i have heard of lemon beind used as a rinse on the hair to freshen it up and add shine. Also, there are lots of alternatives to shampoo. Some examples are conditioner only which is using conditioner as a cleanser on the hair to get it clean. its very popular. there are also special soaps designed for hair called shampoo bars which are supposed to be much gentler (but ive never tried them personally). there are also many herbs that are traidtionally used to clean hair (look under the indian hair care thread and i think it explains the use of some of those) and then of course some people (like me) deside they dont want to use anything at all and just rinse thier hair with water. theres a thread on water only rinsing too, its a sticky. well i hope this helped you out and more info will probably be coming from all the other members here soon, hehe. :)

Silver Grace
December 10th, 2006, 05:31 PM
I've never heard of using orange juice on the hair, but I have heard of lemon juice being used as a rinse to lighten blonde hair. I'd use with caution though, as it is highly acidic & might damage your hair.

CherryDanish
December 10th, 2006, 07:33 PM
If you're going to do the orange juice, I'd watch out for the pulp

Ursula
December 10th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Take a peek at Igor's journal before trying citrus on your hair - it had some rather nasty effects for her.

I'd also worry that the sugars in the juice might leave hair sticky, particularly if they aren't rinsed very thoroughly. And you'd want to be very careful not to get it into your eyes - it will burn.

It might help if you tell us a bit about what shampoos you've tried, and what sorts of problems you've had. The same product can cause completely different problems for different people, and point to very different solutions.

Have you tried washing with soap bars, such as Chagrin Valley? What about conditioner only washing? CWC washing, so you clean your scalp, but don't strip your hair?

EgyptianQueen
December 10th, 2006, 08:11 PM
How about using an egg? It is natural, full of protein which gave my hair lots of body, full of vitamins (biotin..etc.) and most of all, it cleans as well as sulphate shampoo even after a heavy oiling! Or you can try the Indian herb shikakai powder and soapnut powder. They leave my hair wonderfully shiny and silky! These are my all time all natural favorite shampoos!

PseudoScot
December 11th, 2006, 05:01 AM
:rolleyes: I don't know about orange juice - sounds messy, time consuming, expensive, and not as well tested as other methods.

There's some great suggestions here - I might add to it trying sulfate free shampoo, or even the water only routine. There is tons of info here on both. Or, you could try adding citric acid to your condish, or perhaps try another conditioner with citrus? I know some people have reported good results with that.

I dunno about orange juice, though...

ladyceleste
December 11th, 2006, 11:37 AM
I was worried about the acidity of the orange juice. I have experimented with different shampoos for a while...I tried Fructis long and strong, and after about 1 week to 2 weeks of use my scalp got big bloody bumps all over it that took days to go away even after I stopped using it.

I also have a flaky scalp problem (don't know it it qualifies as dandruff or not), so I went to Avalon Organics Tea Tree Mint that is supposed to help with dandruff trouble. It says on the bottle "no soduim lauryl or laureth salfate", and has a lot of herbs and stuff in it, but after a couple weeks of it, I got dry scalp and hair and my flakes actually seemed to get worse. It does have tea tree in it...maybe that's too harsh?

I tried Nature's gate herbal ( I love the conditioner), but the shampoo, once again, dried me out and I got some bumps, but they weren't too bad and weren't bloody.

With all these shampoos I used to wash every other day. I now know that that is too much for me. I have been thinking about trying the WO or the CO methods. I haven't tried a shampoo bar yet...I've found a lot of info on them, so i am looking at all that now. I guess I'm worried that I will get greasy if I don't use some kind of cleaning agent...an egg sounds interesting! I didn't realize they could clean as well as condition. Do they dry you out at all? I was thinking about trying herbs as well, as some people seem to have a lot of luck with the herbs. I just have really sensitive skin, so I want to be careful about allergins!

Thanks so much for all the ideas! I don't think I'll be trying the orange juice on my hair after all...I'll just eat them instead.

Wavelength
December 11th, 2006, 11:52 AM
The flaky scalp might be resolved by using a vinegar rinse. Several people here use ACV (apple cider vinegar) diluted with water. Some others (including myself) use red wine vinegar because the smell isn't as strong. However, red wine vinegar might leave your hair with a mild reddish tinge (which I don't mind because I use henna and I want to keep the red colour, but that might not be what you want).

In any case, the vinegar rinse helps dandruff and flaky scalp quite a bit. I've used a vinegar rinse for over two years and in all that time I have never had dandruff. It seems to work best if it's the last thing that you use on your scalp. What I do is protect my ends with conditioner first, apply the vinegar rinse to the scalp, massage in and leave it on for about a minute or two before I rinse it out.

pietri
December 11th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Hmmmm... if you hadn't reacted to the Avalon as well I'd say you might have a scalp that's sensitive to sulphates (as in SLS etc) like I do - right now my scalp is quite happy with either shampoo soap (PLH Hempchouli is my latest favourite) or with the liquid Hair Cleansing Cream by Jessicurl. I only wash twice a week, it took me a while to stretch out from every day to this and I also did only CO for a while.

ACV rinses (okay, I'm cheap and lazy, so it's mainly vinegar rinses, unless I've been in the mood to buy some ACV instead of the "normal" stuff ;)) seem to help my scalp as well: no itchies until about 3-4 days after washing, and nowhere near as bad as they used to be when I thought I had dandruff and needed Head & Shoulders every day :silly:

warmbee
December 11th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Sounds like something *I think* I read an article by Lady Godiva about... i think it's the ACV article (apple cider vinager) again, not sure if it was lady g, but I'd check the ACV article if I were you, because what you're talking about is a scalp issue and an ACV has to do with your scalp:)

ruby_tuesday
December 11th, 2006, 12:20 PM
I never tried orange juice in my hair, but I was obsessive enough to consider it, but then decided not to because of the pulp. I'm sure it would get stuck in my hair... :eek:

But I DID try some passionfruit juice, without pulp. It was way beyond its expiration date, and I thought hmm why not... Well the effect I got was a cross between ACV and honey, except that I didn’t wash it out completely and once my hair dried it was a bit crunchy, but with tons of volume and shine. :) (Coconut oil helped smoothing the crunch. )
I did it again the following week, but that time I washed it out completely and my hair felt clean and nice. Maybe it was the acid in the juice that made it react that way. (considering it was beyond its expiration date which made it more "acidy").

I wanted to try it out again (as you can see, I’m not a quitter :D ) so I got some apple juice especially for that purpose (without pulp). But that one felt so sticky, :eek: ... maybe because it was fresh or maybe it had way too much sugar in it. Hm. :ponder: I should really try this again and experiment more.

pennylane
December 11th, 2006, 02:58 PM
A nice, big orange juice glass at breakfast, that's delicious!!!!! But on my hair ? Oh gosh, what a waist...:rolleyes:

ladyceleste
December 12th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Yeah, I don't want the pulp hair, lol. I love the passionfruit idea! Maybe it was the fermentation that made it work. I just need to get a little braver and start trying stuff out. It is just so hard to figure out where to start!

I think I might have a problem with SLS. The SLS shampoos gave me bumps on my scalp, sometimes bloody. Other shampoos have dried me out, but I don't think I have gotten bumps when SLS isn't present. What are the signs that you have an allergy to SLS?

harley mama
December 12th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Wouldn't using orange juice make your hair sticky?
And I think the acid in it would be drying. I'll stick to
my co washes.

pietri
December 12th, 2006, 12:13 PM
I think I might have a problem with SLS. The SLS shampoos gave me bumps on my scalp, sometimes bloody. Other shampoos have dried me out, but I don't think I have gotten bumps when SLS isn't present. What are the signs that you have an allergy to SLS?

I can only speak for myself (and I've no idea if this is an actual allergy in my case, but I'm sensitive to the stuff) - I read about people having itchy & flaky scalp due to SLS and decided to try gentler shampoos and stretch out the time between washing. With SLS my scalp got itchy within a day or about 48 hours latest after washing, and there were always little white flakes which made me think I had a bad case of dandruff.

I'm not sure what I tried first after changed to non-SLS and if that was before or after finding LHC (if it was after finding LHC I'm sure my journal has something to say on the subject, but I'm running into "server too busy" messages all evening so I can't check right now).
I think I either went CO or tried a shampoo soap bar I bought in a local shop, and if I remember correctly I noticed improvement quickly (about two weeks? guessing here), even though I still washed at least every other day for a while. It was a great feeling to actually dare rub my scalp in full sight of other people without thinking about flakies :inlove: