Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : How much does your hair weigh?

veil
October 26th, 2006, 01:27 PM
I was talking to my partner last night, wondering how much my hair weighs as it was annoying me. He suggested that I weigh it to find out. Much to my suprise it only weighs 150grams. I simply coiled my hair that was fastened in a ponytail that had been braided into the kitchen scales, while carefully making sure my head did not lean on the scales. So I thought it would be interesting to ask those who are interested...how much does your hair weigh? (I realise it is not a scientific approach, but thought it would be fun) For this exercise, make sure that your hair is not fastened with anything at the end, and that you hair is resting in the scales without downward pressure from your head. I would love to know how much weight people like Dianyla are carrying around, and those with thick long hair....
Also does anyone know what the averages are for weight of long hair?

cortese
October 26th, 2006, 01:30 PM
I seem to recall that Dianyla once did weigh her hair ... can't recall what the result was (about 12oz?) but I do recall a picture of her grinning with her hair in a kitchen scale. :-)

Emichiee
October 26th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Oh my mines 105gram 0_0, thats also as much as a plastic miso soup bowl ..

Is that a lot now?? I just know I do get bad hairheadaches..

Btw, yours wighs as much as a porcellain rice bowl...0_0..

well I gess shorthairs just have to imagine asian food bowls attached to their head.

Dianyla
October 26th, 2006, 04:23 PM
I seem to recall that Dianyla once did weigh her hair ... can't recall what the result was (about 12oz?) but I do recall a picture of her grinning with her hair in a kitchen scale. :-)
Yes, that was I, and it was 12 oz (~340 g). Good memory!

veil
October 26th, 2006, 09:09 PM
I can just imagine people running around putting bowls on their heads to feel what it is like!:lol: Dianyla, that is pretty impressive, your hair weighs the same as a small can of soup! That must be painful in certain updo's!

Wildcate
October 27th, 2006, 02:38 AM
Hah. Did that some time ago, when my hair was just a tad shorter, for comparison with a friend, and it weighed in at 90 grams in a braid from the neck. That's for kneelength, ladies! Do I get the prize for lightest, finest hair? Or will somebody beat me? :grin:
(I have a hard time imagining 340 grams of hair, really - that's almost 4 times the weight of mine. But then, I guess the scalp gets used to the extra weight gradually as hair grows.)

Emichiee
October 27th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Hah. Did that some time ago, when my hair was just a tad shorter, for comparison with a friend, and it weighed in at 90 grams in a braid from the neck. That's for kneelength, ladies! Do I get the prize for lightest, finest hair? Or will somebody beat me? :grin:
(I have a hard time imagining 340 grams of hair, really - that's almost 4 times the weight of mine. But then, I guess the scalp gets used to the extra weight gradually as hair grows.)

Wow, fine hair is probably lighter o_o I dont want to know how heavy my hair would be at kneelength >_<
Oh and hers your price ^^ http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/sportlich/c065.gif

Dianylas 340 gram are alot 0_o, but I also think the scalp gets used to it.

KatKeRo
October 27th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Next to nothing: mine weighs 40 g. And that's for hiplength hair. No wonder it always feels like it's floating away.

aries
October 27th, 2006, 09:46 AM
I wish I could join this thread but just don't have enough hair that would cause any kind of weight lol. I hope someday to join in though.

Unnamed
October 27th, 2006, 10:17 AM
About 27 gm...as it was a wee bit more than halfway between 20 and 30. :rolleyes: And that's with a bit of cheating :face:, since I did a braid at my forehead (which is a bit thicker and longer) as I could only get about 10-15 gm to pop up with a back/side braid before getting too close.

Since I've seen a couple comparisons, 2 CDs weigh ~30g (maybe a tad more). So my hair, at an inch or two closer to classic than midthigh, is lighter than two CDs. :lol:

oldkathy
October 27th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Mine must weigh at least 20 lbs, because that's how much more I weigh since I started growing out my hair....tee hee....

cindy58
October 27th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Mine must weigh at least 20 lbs, because that's how much more I weigh since I started growing out my hair....tee hee....

You beat me to it, oldkathy -- I was just thinking the very same thing!

zift
October 27th, 2006, 03:58 PM
OMG it'S such a fun thread. I've just weighed mine for curiosity and it's ~200gr. and I was thinking it weighed a lot :lol: funny me. And Dianyla I believe your measure is back from the times when you had knee lengthed hair. I wonder how it'll weigh now! Wow I just can't imagine how it'll feel...

mira-chan
October 27th, 2006, 04:03 PM
~80 gm (~ 3oz) here, between tailbone and classic, with a very big taper. It just started to be uncomfatable and pull in some updo's.

HerbalAnnie
October 27th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Unfortunately, my hair does not weigh enough to justify that very large number displayed on the bathroom scale. :wail:

cassie_g
October 27th, 2006, 05:01 PM
85 grams with 27 inches of hair. Mines only about 2" below bra strap. And it's painful to wear regular ponytails unless its very low. Wonder how much it will weight when it's past my butt.

Laoise
October 27th, 2006, 07:36 PM
85 grams with 27 inches of hair. Mines only about 2" below bra strap. And it's painful to wear regular ponytails unless its very low. Wonder how much it will weight when it's past my butt.
Ponytails are a horribly painful style.... I don't know how much my hair weighs, but I stopped being able to wear any ponytails other than low ones before BSL. I still have plenty of "weightless" updos at hip, though.

velvetcat
October 27th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I weighed it at roughly 150 mL, but it might actually be a little more than that.

I wonder how much it will be when I get to my goal.

Dianyla
October 27th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Dianyla, that is pretty impressive, your hair weighs the same as a small can of soup! That must be painful in certain updo's!
Yep, it is quite painful in the wrong style. Even the best of styles eventually give me a sore neck. I hadn't thought about it being like a can of soup, but you're right! It's about the same size when fully twisted & compressed, too. :ponder:

Kevyspen
October 27th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Hi Dianyla, just seen your profile photo, is it next to a waterfall? Your hair looks fantastic!

Bloop
October 28th, 2006, 03:14 AM

I think we need to see that picture :silly:

Peggy E.
October 28th, 2006, 06:44 AM
You beat me to it, oldkathy -- I was just thinking the very same thing!

Nah....You guys are on the light side. MY hair MUST weigh somewhere around 100 lbs! 'Cause I know all that extra weight's not coming from any FAT on my body! ;o(

LisaJaney
October 28th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Yeah, D's would weigh a ton; it's so long, thick clear to the ends, and the strands are good-n-fat, every one of 'em! Mine, on the other hand, probably has a negative-weight-rating. There ain't much of it, every strand is like spiderweb. My whole head of hair may weigh a gram or two? I actually DO have a scale and will weigh it, just to see...OK, I got three grams. It was really hard to read, as my nose was right ON the display. But I think it kept wavering between 2 and 3 grams. I'lL have hubby help me weigh it later, maybe I can get a better (heavier) weight???? Crossing fingers...

Now, if only my bathroom scales felt led to give me small numbers like that.... (sigh)

trolleypup
October 28th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Huh! More than the last time I weighed it.

I get between 6.5 and 7.0 ounces...about 190 grams...a bit less than a can of Red Bull.

Adds to list of things to bring to a meet...

wimsey
October 28th, 2006, 09:56 AM
I don't have a kitchen scale. Would it look too weird if I weighed it at the grocery store? :silly:

Lady Godiva
October 28th, 2006, 11:05 AM
This is the old thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=27898) about hair weight. I recall that I used a 2# letter scale, adjusting for the weight of the cardboard on which I plopped my coiled hair. I also got about 12 oz., although it's hard to see in the little cell phone camera image. :silly:

Now... if we could weigh it when sopping wet in the shower...!!

aries
October 28th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Wimsey you simply must do that and get a quick picture while at it. I would love to see that. That sounds like something I would do if my hair were long enough lol.

rainkitty
October 30th, 2006, 05:02 AM
Hmm. Got about three ounces, or about 85g, for my 40-odd inches. Will have to have DH help me try again later - having my head turned around to read the scale pulls out about six inches of the heaviest hair, so I don't think it's quite right.

Dianyla, Lady G, wow! I don't know whether to be jealous or glad that mine probably won't weigh that much at goal.

Cheers,
RK

trolleypup
October 30th, 2006, 07:01 AM
I don't have a kitchen scale. Would it look too weird if I weighed it at the grocery store? :silly:

No. :rollin: What would be weird would be going into a store on a meet and each weighing their hair amid much taking of pictures and excited commentary...probably worth it to get thrown out of the store. :silly:

Fireweed
October 30th, 2006, 08:20 AM
I got 0.60 of a ounce and my hair is short right now 28.5 inches.