Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Natural Hair Cleaner Powder?

Catladyintown
October 14th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Has anyone heard of Camellia Seed Powder. Is it like Soapwort Root or Amla Powder, Bhringraj Powder? If you have any experiences with this please tell me how you liked it or did not like it. Here are some links that talk about it.
http://www.organic-haircare.com/product.html#B01
http://www.renguangdo.com/

Flaxen
October 14th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Ooh! I read about this four years ago, and nobody had ever heard of it, and then the shop didn't carry it any more, and now I just ordered some.:face:
/runon sentence

Catladyintown
October 15th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Hi Flaxen please tell me how you like Camellia seed powder, and how
was the S&H? Thanks Catladyintown:smile:

Anouk
October 15th, 2006, 09:28 AM
I actually bought and used RenGuangDo Camellia Seed Powder, but I'm afraid I don't have anything earth-shaking to tell you because I don't feel I used it properly. I tried boiling it, straining it and pouring the liquid thru my hair, but I didn't get any spectacular results. Then I thought if I were to mix it with water and make a paste then I could use it like an herbal wash, but the mix I had was far from being a finely ground powder. So I attempted to grind it into a finer mixture in my blender and mix it with water, but it wasn't fine enough to mix properly(I suppose I should've used a coffee grinder). All I have left from the experience is two really nice tins that formerly held the powder(I keep other dried herbs in them now). I wonder though, if I used the powder wrong, or if I got a not-so-great batch. Not sure.

Anouk
October 15th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Oh, I just wanted to add that I didn't get individual packs like on the RenGuangDo website. I got the tins full of camellia seed powder with a muslin bag.

Flaxen
October 15th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Hi Flaxen please tell me how you like Camellia seed powder, and how
was the S&H? Thanks Catladyintown:smile:
I sure will let you know how it works. If you click on "order" over to the left on the organic-haircare site, the prices are given including shipping costs.:smile:

Thanks, Anouk, for sharing your experience.:flower: Did you notice any change in hair color? Since it is the tea plant, I'm going to do a strand test to be sure it won't darken.

Catladyintown
October 15th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Hi Anouk have you tried any other hair cleaning powders, that you might be able to compare it with? Sorry I am not sure if I am saying it right today.

Anouk
October 15th, 2006, 03:19 PM
originally posted byFlaxen

Thanks, Anouk, for sharing your experience. Did you notice any change in hair color? Since it is the tea plant, I'm going to do a strand test to be sure it won't darken.

I don't think so, but my natural color is brownish black so I'm not sure if I would be able to tell really.

originally posted by Catladyintown

Hi Anouk have you tried any other hair cleaning powders, that you might be able to compare it with? Sorry I am not sure if I am saying it right today.

Let's see....................what have I used:

S.A.M.B.B. (a mixture of the herbal powders Shikakai, Amla, Marshmallow Root, Brinjiraj and Brahmi.....forgive me for the spelling) for a while. I had good results with it, despite the fact that it's messy to use in the shower and will make your fingernails look dingy after so many uses.

Everyday Mehndi's Herbal Washing Powder(not sure what the ingredients are in that one) with success except for getting it in my eye(ouch!)

Soapnut mixed with Hibiscus Petal Powder. It can be thick if you don't use enough water and REALLY hurts when you get it in your eye(SUPER OUCH). I also ground fresh hibiscus leaves and petals and made that into an herbal paste. There were lots of herbie bits in my hair after that wash, but it dried looking very nice.

Purple FuNori, Hijiki and Kombu seaweed. If you leave 'em in boiling water long enough, the liquid gets gooey-ish. It smells.....well, it smells like the ocean at low tide, but it does clean the hair.

So......how do all of these compare to Camellia Seed Powder? I'm not really sure. I feel that if I had been able to grind the Camellia into a fine powder I could've used it better and really had a basis of comparison. Or if I had boiled it longer and soaked my hair in it longer maybe. I will say that it does produce some small suds in water so it probably has a gentle cleansing effect on the hair. Maybe one of these days I'll order some more and try again.

Sorry, I don't know if any of this helps.

Catladyintown
October 16th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Purple FuNori, Hijiki and Kombu seaweed. If you leave 'em in boiling water long enough, the liquid gets gooey-ish. It smells.....well, it smells like the ocean at low tide, but it does clean the hair.

Anouk
October 17th, 2006, 11:31 AM
:lol:

Well, it DOES. It smells fishy. Sea-esque. Fortunately, the smell does not linger on the hair.

Flaxen
October 17th, 2006, 12:52 PM
:lol:

Well, it DOES. It smells fishy. Sea-esque. Fortunately, the smell does not linger on the hair.
LOL, I know what you mean. I used seaweed and marshmallow in a rinse once. It made my hair look really nice, but the smell of the rinse was :puke:.

Anouk
October 17th, 2006, 06:17 PM
It's weird; even though I personally detest the smell of fish and don't like to eat any kind of fish at all, I can tolerate the seaweed smell.

Catladyintown
October 17th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Anouk or Flaxen I notice the rest of my paragraph was gone. My question is to both of you can you share your recipes for seaweed hair washes please.:smile:

Anouk
October 18th, 2006, 05:26 AM
Sure, no problem. I had small packs of Purple FuNori seaweed, so I threw one whole pack in a bowl with a handful of Hijiki and Kombu and poured boiling water just enough to cover it all, and let it sit for an hour or so, until the mix has sufficiently cooled. I didn't really measure anything, I just eye-balled it. You'll notice the water getting a gooey, gel-like substance. Then strain the mixture and you're good to go. Use it like a shampoo, but because the texture of the liquid changed it's easier to massage and work it thru the hair rather than just pour it thru like a rinse. And make sure you get Purple FuNori seaweed, not just Nori seaweed.

Here's a link to a Seaweed thread here on the boards:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=530

And heres an article I found online:

Purple Seaweed Shampoo

Funori seaweed is a reddish-violet seaweed with little pods that children love to find on the beach and pop. The shampoo made from it is nonstinging, remarkably nourishing and strengthening to the hair, and amusing to use. To make: Add a handful of funori to 4 cups of warm water and bring to a boil in a nonmetal pot. When cool, strain the liquid through cheesecloth and discard the seaweed. (Most of the heady, deep-sea aroma will depart with the plant.) Apply this slimy, sticky pink gel to hair and massage well. Rinse. Seaweed is rich in iodine, magnesium, and B-complex vitamins, and it will do wonderful things for your hair, giving it body and vigor and shine. The gel may also be used in very small amounts as a hair-setting lotion

Anouk
October 18th, 2006, 05:31 AM
Oh yeah, and this book has the seaweed recipes and a lot of others:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780806516288&itm=1

Flaxen
October 18th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Anouk or Flaxen I notice the rest of my paragraph was gone. My question is to both of you can you share your recipes for seaweed hair washes please.:smile:
Let's see...I think I used 1 T. marshmallow root powder and 1 T. kelp powder in one cup of hot water. I let it cool, and I poured it over my hair, without straining it, after I shampoo'd. I let it sit on my hair for a few minutes, and then I rinsed. My hair was so soft and full when it dried.:smile: