Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : What happens if you just never trim it?

goldylocks06
October 8th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Hi all,
I have a question that I have been wanting to ask for so long. What happens to your hair if you just never trim it ever again? Will it get so damaged that it will ruin all of your hair? A guy I know said that if you don't get regular trims, the dead ends will spread to all of your hair and ruin it. Is this true? Are their any ladies here that never trim at all? Iam just wondering....

HairColoredHair
October 8th, 2006, 06:13 PM
There are many people that don't trim.

What happens is that your hair gains 'fairytales' (ends of varying lengths) due to the different growth rates of various pieces of hair.

If your hair is not treated well, the ends will be damaged, just as they will otherwise.

Damage can travel if the hair is treated roughly.

What some people do instead of taking trims is clipping individual damaged hairs.

I haven't trimmed in a about two years and normally snip hairs only from time to time. I have some fairytales, which I like. :grin:

Hope that helps.

goldylocks06
October 8th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Thanks, I have very bad eyes and am afraid to look for splits myself. Perhaps I should have my mom trim it every 6 months or something.

HairColoredHair
October 8th, 2006, 06:22 PM
In general, you don't need to trim your hair unless it's damaged. I would think the thing to do is wait until your hair tells you it needs a trim.

It may just never speak up. :)

dancingbarefoot
October 8th, 2006, 06:27 PM
A guy I know said that if you don't get regular trims, the dead ends will spread to all of your hair and ruin it. Is this true?

No. Where does he get his evidence?

Clare-Dragonfly
October 8th, 2006, 06:43 PM
I have noticed that nasty splits can sometimes catch on nearby hairs and cause splits or white dots in them, but that's not quite the same as the damage spreading all over your hair...

And since splits can occur anywhere on the length, regular trims won't necessarily help anyway.

beauxchev
October 8th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Hi, I don't know too much about hair, as I am new to the LHC and long hair in general, but I imagine that splits wouldn't spread throughout your hair. I think the splits you did have would be pretty long though, maybe 2+ inches. I think once you get a split end it continues to travel up higher and higher. I've always wondered how quickly these splits travel, as mine seem to stay at about the same point and not split higher. So, I have wondered about this very same question. I'm interested to hear from someone who hasn't had a trim in many, many years...

Vicky Veiss
October 8th, 2006, 06:57 PM
I don't even remember the last time I trimmed, but it was at least six months before I joined here...which must make it about three years ago. In that time my hair has grown about eight inches after having been stalled for a decade, and the ends are at least twice as thick as they used to be. I've got far fewer split ends, and I never do any dusting. It wasn't magic--just a lot more conditioner and gentler treatment!

Probably someone who's used to seeing people who treat their hair roughly on a regular basis assumes that damage "propagates", because of course as time goes on, continued damage accumulates and looks worse and worse. Regularly snipping off damaged ends WILL make the hair look better temporarily, but it doesn't actually repair anything. NOT trimming doesn't actually damage anything--it's the ongoing heat styling, bleaching, hard brushing, etc., that's really to blame.

Many people assume that everyone "has to" do harsh things to their hair or it will look bad, when usually the exact opposite is true. I do as little as I can, and I've found that the less I do, the better it looks!

That's by my definition of looking good, which equals enjoying my hair the way it grows naturally. If I desperately wanted it to be curly and golden blonde instead of vaguely wavy and light ash brown, I could certainly get it to do that, but it would be a lot of work, I'd incur a lot of damage from perms and bleaching, and it probably couldn't grow nearly as long as it does now. Laziness has its points!

Vicky

Mrar34
October 8th, 2006, 06:59 PM
As others have said, you'll get fairytale ends (hopefully!). I personally don't want fairytale ends on myself, I want a blunt V-shaped hemline, and I'm also growing out layers, so trimming a half-inch a month is the way to go for me. I also S&D (search out the specific splits to cut off) whenever possible as I get a lot of daily damage.

As for splits "spreading," it's kind of true, as if you have a split end and don't trim it off, the damage CAN continue up that INDIVIDUAL hair, splitting until it rips off. Also, since damage can't be healed, it must be cut off, so if you don't cut off your damage it will LOOK like your hair is gradually getting worse and worse, but the damage isn't causing more, it's just getting more noticeable as it accumulates.

VanillaTresses
October 8th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Heh heh. I hope to at least never get a salon trim again! If my hair absolutely needs a trim I will either get my mother, my SO, or myself to do it. At least I will be going in the right direction (longer!) and I will be saving $$! :lol:

nowxisxforever
October 8th, 2006, 07:31 PM
I don't imagine much of anything happens if you don't trim it. I'd recommend dusting for split ends, but as for major trims? Not needed. Once your hair hit terminal length, those ends [providing you've taken very good care of it, dusted splits, etc] would eventually not have any split ends, once all the damaged hair fell out.

GlennaGirl
October 8th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Try not to worry...I'm sure you'd notice well before the splits got eight inches up your hair shaft!

Linguist
October 8th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Okay, awhile back I think there was a thread about how fairytale ends tend to be actually LESS damaged (but I can't for the life of me remember who posted it or what it was called, so it would be impossible to find again, unfortunately).

The idea was something like: if you trim, you are making blunt ends on your hair, which aren't sealed off and thus are more prone to damage. Once any trimmed-end hairs have all fallen out, one by one they will have grown back with the natural tapered end that comes out of your head. These ends are supposedly less prone to damage.

But you'd still have to wait until your ends were *truly* fairytale (don't know how to say that better) to get that benefit. And, the way I see it, you may still have what some people see as damage; that is, an uneven hemline. This would just be caused by the fact that not every hair on your head grows/sheds at the same rate, of course, but still might be perceived as damage, especially by non-lhc'ers.

Whew! HTH.

ETA: Nowisforever, I think you said the same thing but in a lot fewer words!

itsyspy70
October 8th, 2006, 09:03 PM
the dead ends will spread to all of your hair and ruin it.

The whole length of your hair is dead actually. I think he just means if you get split ends and the like. Splits *can* travel up the length of the hair shaft if you've got them for long enough.

I can tell when I need a trim when my hair starts to get pokey on the ends... it'll poke through my shirt if I've got loads of split ends. I think fairytale ends vs. blunt trimmed ends is mostly a personal preference, but I prefer to get my trims instead of crossing my eyes for hours on end doing search and destroy missions.

bte
October 8th, 2006, 09:24 PM
What happens if you never trim your hair?

It grows eventually to terminal length, whatever that is for you (somewhere between 12 inches and 12 feet). It will have a natural (ie slightly untidy) appearance which you may or may not like.

The amount of damage depends on your type of hair and how careful you are with it (treating it gently and using conditioner/oils helps a lot).

Lots of good ideas here in this community. Different thngs work for different people, so read everthing you can and see what works for you.

And for the record, my last trim was in June 1994.

ladiosaRosa
October 9th, 2006, 02:59 PM
I'm 59 and haven't trimmed for over 20 years. I don't think this causes any particular damage. I would fear that hair that is trimmed less than "perfectly", might results in ends that might be prone to splits. I stay away from that; I actually prefer fairytail ends.

Xandergrammy
October 9th, 2006, 03:07 PM
And for the record, my last trim was in June 1994.

Holy Smokes, bte, you have ME beat! My last trim was sometime in 1996!!

Leni

Xandergrammy
October 9th, 2006, 03:09 PM
I'm 59 and haven't trimmed for over 20 years. I don't think this causes any particular damage. I would fear that hair that is trimmed less than "perfectly", might results in ends that might be prone to splits. I stay away from that; I actually prefer fairytail ends.

ladiosaRosa, you have me beat too! I love fairytale ends, although I never knew what to call them until I joined LHC!!

Leni

spidermom
October 9th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Just for the record, untrimmed, naturally tapered ends on my head are just as prone to splitting as trimmed, blunt ends. I get splits on hairs that are too new and too short to have ever been trimmed. I also get splits on the longest ends, which get trimmed on a regular/irregular basis. I also get little side-splits off the hair shaft 2-3-or more inches up from the end. I wonder what causes them? Anyway, damage and splits happen - be your hair trimmed or untrimmed.

pennylane
October 9th, 2006, 04:03 PM
As always I can only speak for myself. If I never trim my DH would divorce right then and there, that's all. Now, regarding the condition of my hair, only heaven knows how my wild unruly and thick mane would look, a vision just too intolerable to the eye, I suspect... :lol: :lol:

HairColoredHair
October 9th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Pennylane... that seems an awful poor excuse for divorce! :flower:

pennylane
October 9th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Pennylane... that seems an awful poor excuse for divorce! :flower:

I'm just being a little over the top :lol: :lol: :lol: (but only just a little ) :flowers:

dixie
October 9th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Here in the rural South, many women never cut/trim for religious reasons.
I have seen lots of knee-length hair and actually, the ends are a bit thin and maybe broken but sadly, no worse than my ends every couple of months.

MemSahib
October 9th, 2006, 05:12 PM
What "happens" to your hair if you don't trim depends on many factors: your general health, the health of your hair when you quit trimming, what type of hair you have, how you treat it, what products you use, whether you use heat on it or not... the list is endless. Most people will get at least some splits if they cease trimming. Fairytale ends will come if your hair grows much at all. Other than that, it's all so individual that it would be hard to predict because what might happen for me might not for you!

alligatorbaby23
October 9th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Just for the record, untrimmed, naturally tapered ends on my head are just as prone to splitting as trimmed, blunt ends. I get splits on hairs that are too new and too short to have ever been trimmed. I also get splits on the longest ends, which get trimmed on a regular/irregular basis. I also get little side-splits off the hair shaft 2-3-or more inches up from the end. I wonder what causes them? Anyway, damage and splits happen - be your hair trimmed or untrimmed.
Me too! My hair likes to split. I never even thought I had split ends until I started coming here, and then , well ...s&ds are good for me, but I do believe they thin my ends out. But if I left 'em alone ala fairytale . I am kinda worried that the splits will snag other hairs and cause more splits. Okay I will check in in a few years of treating my hair RighT and let you all know!
Isn't it true fairytale ends aren't even supposed to be s&d'ed?

hevnn
October 9th, 2006, 06:51 PM
I am so happy that you asked this question. I would like to try to go as long as possible without having a trim. I find it so stressful, too many dustings have turned into trims at the hands of a haircutter.

Does anyone have suggestions on dusting or on doing the S&D yourself?

spidermom
October 9th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Isn't it true fairytale ends aren't even supposed to be s&d'ed?

I don't think so. I think the term "fairytale ends" can be used to describe any hair that is uneven at the hemline and starts wisping and thinning out as it gets longer.

Am I wrong?

SunCat
October 9th, 2006, 08:03 PM
If you don't trim your hair it will get longer and the ends will naturally taper creating "fairy tale ends" since different hairs grow at different rates. I have never heard of damage going throughout your hair from not trimming. Sounds like something a hair stylist would tell you to keep you coming in for hair trims. If you find your ends are really damaged a small trim will help them quite a bit.

trolleypup
October 10th, 2006, 08:50 AM
My last significant trim was probably nearly 10 years ago, but I'll take off the last inch or two if there are only a few strands. I do S&D from time to time, as my hair tangles worse if I don't, and that tangling causes damage, especially on the old fragile ends. I'm finding that with better hair care and protection, I don't need to do as much S&D or as often, but trims wouldn't help, because I have damaged hair all through my length (mostly from the sun).

Methods: 1) Buy a pair of haircutting quality scissors (usually $10 or so) and never use them for anything but hair.
2) Carry them with you so you can cut a horrible split or fairyknot or simply have some dead time in good light to do a bit of S&D.
3) I S&D randomly, but others may section their hair and work through it methodically.
4) Good light lets you see the damage better, often there will be a color change up the strand above the actual split or white dot, that should be cut as well.

warmbee
October 10th, 2006, 01:26 PM
I haven't cut or trimmed in almost three years and don't plan on ever again trimming. Thus far my hair is gorgeous and I don't think that I have any splits at all (my opinion on the gorgeous thing:D) And my hair is starting to 'angle' (?) not grow even, so I think it will eventually get fairy tail ends :) I do believe, as many others, that this does depend on hair care to the splits and damage though.

nowxisxforever
October 10th, 2006, 02:15 PM
also: I know I already replied, but noticing all these "I haven't in ____ and" replies, I have to add my own.

I didn't trim [or dust, or anything] for the past...three or four years perhaps, but I also didn't treat my hair right - I had fairytale ends but plenty of splits. So, I had my grandmother take off the very last portion of an inch / inch [I told her "NOT VERY MUCH PLEASE" and she didn't let me see how much she took off, and I also couldn't tell much difference lengthwise], and that took off what looks like 75% of my splits. I still have plenty, but they're far fewer. So...if you do a S&D for all your splits, and treat your hair right, you should be fine.

warmbee
October 11th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Oh, Whoa is me:`( !!!! I have found myself to be a liar! I was looking at my ends yesterday and discovered...............

SPLIT ENDS!!!!!!!! but i'm still not gonna trim them:P

Michlow
October 11th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Here in the rural South, many women never cut/trim for religious reasons.
I have seen lots of knee-length hair and actually, the ends are a bit thin and maybe broken but sadly, no worse than my ends every couple of months.

I am one of them...well...not the rural south thing...I am a yankee...though I actually do live in the south now...but not rural...LOL...anyway...

Most of the women in my church don't cut their hair, and some of them have the most beautiful hair you can ever imagine. Though some of them could definately benefit by checking out this site. (which I constantly recommend! I am a LHC evangelist!)

My hair grew from shoulder length to past waist in about 3 years with no trims. But then came the evil perm...which is another story, entirely, when I broke down and cut some of it. It has now been about a year and it is starting to bounce back (finally!) 3 years after that awful perm!

I am so used to the fairy-tail ends look that when I see long hair cut bluntly, it is almost startling and abrupt to me.

But back to the subject at hand...there are women with beautiful knee length hair that have never cut it in their lives.

Ashley
November 7th, 2006, 05:40 AM
Just my two cents, I definitely think not trimming has a negative influence on hair (at least mine).

Trimming your hair keeps the ends split-free, which is very important. If you get splits very easily, like me, you have to be in time with cutting, because once there is a split it can get worse and worse, and there's nothing you can do except cutting.

If the split remains to go upwards, the result can be breaking hairstrands (once there's a split it's extremely fragile).
Also, new hairs are continuously growing in, so you also have a lot of uneven hairs in between. You never touch those, so you really can't control the split there unless you S&D, which I really recommend.

Not to mention that my hair is stick straight, every split becomes visible.

zift
November 7th, 2006, 03:23 PM
What happens if you just never trim it??

Well...:D Here is our dearest member Catia who has never trimmed her hair.http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=1210

I love her hair!:bowtome:

ETA: If I'M not wrong she holds the LHC hairlength record: 85"