Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Odd Question.will White Vinegar help take the brassiness out of my medium brown hair?

futurehope
September 15th, 2006, 05:23 PM
I know this is quite an odd question, since most people with darker hair use ACV and those with lighter hair use White Vinegar.

I was just wondering if using the white vinegar would be something that would help take the brassiness (reds) out of my medium brown colored hair.

Thanks much :)

HairColoredHair
September 15th, 2006, 05:31 PM
I think most blondes use white vinegar because it deposits no color, not because it removes reds. I don't think it will. In general, to nullify reds I believe you need to add blues.

NuclearMosquito
September 15th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Have you thought about a coffee rinse or soak? I tried this to get rid of some orange/brassy tones in my hair, and had mild success. If you search for "coffee" you'll find several posts about it. I think I described what I did in my journal about a month or two ago.

Tabitha
September 16th, 2006, 01:21 AM
Or you could try citric acid (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=49287&highlight=citric+acid) which I have on my hair as I type!

dancingbarefoot
September 16th, 2006, 08:04 AM
I really doubt it. Vinegar is often used as a mordant (i.e., it sets dyes), so it's unlikely that it's going to strip color out.

Curlsgirl
September 16th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Clairol makes a shampoo and conditioner called that is purple and you can get it at Sally's can't remember the name but it really does a good job of toning down brassiness. It is pretty harsh though so you have to use it sparingly esp. if you have dry hair. Also, it might be the hard water. I have heard that can do it. At least it isn't a dull color. I like gold I thing it adds highlights.:flowers:

raindiamonds
September 17th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Clairol makes a shampoo and conditioner called that is purple and you can get it at Sally's can't remember the name but it really does a good job of toning down brassiness. It is pretty harsh though so you have to use it sparingly esp. if you have dry hair. Also, it might be the hard water. I have heard that can do it. At least it isn't a dull color. I like gold I thing it adds highlights.:flowers:
I've heard of that one
my stepmother use to use it
It's purple and its called shimmering lights