Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Mixing MSM with your hair care products?

Feye
February 28th, 2003, 05:54 AM
I got a mail from the company where I buy my MSM (in powder form), and they wrote about how MSM can be mixed with every product you have, to make it even better and intensify the treatment.

For example, they said that MSM in your regular skin care lotion makes it penetrate even better and makes the skin moisturized and more elastic. If mixed with shampoo it makes the hair shinier and stronger. They even suggest bathing in MSM!

Now, I read on the same site that it's the MSM that makes Aloe Vera what it is, because Aloe Vera has a high concentration of MSM.

My question is this: Have you ever tried mixing MSM with your regular hair care products, and did you notice any difference? What do you think of this information?
I'm thinking maybe it's wonderful for the hair to mix MSM with the oiling treatments, or the deep conditioners? Maybe it works wonders? However, I'm a little scared to try it.

Cowgal
February 28th, 2003, 06:24 AM
Hmm, yes, I have tried using MSM on my hair before. It was a while back though... I believe I used it in a final rinse.

At longhairlovers.com, on the multicultural board, they talk about mixing MSM with hair products. That is where I got the idea. At the time I was using MSM tablets and it wasn't very convienent to dissolve the pills before using them. Perhaps I'll try it again, now that I use powdered MSM.

So, anyhow, other people do use MSM, and get good results. I would say, go ahead and try it. I doubt it would hurt your hair and probably will improve your hair if anything. I hadn't thought of using it on my skin- I'd bet it make a good facial scrub, huh?

I just washed a few minutes ago, or I would try it today and let you know the results.

KT
February 28th, 2003, 06:31 AM
This is a really interesting idea, I've seen MSM creams for skin in health shops but never thought of adding it to products I already have.

Y'know, I'll be shampooing sometime in the next couple of hours - I'll try it and report back later this evening :)

AmandaPanda
February 28th, 2003, 06:53 AM
I'm not sure about the MSM, but I've seen Biotin in hair products. I guess it's on the same idea? Do you think the biotin in the product helps with growth?

Carolyn
February 28th, 2003, 07:18 AM
I haven't tried it but I think I've seem some kind of a health food store shampoo with MSM in it. I get my MSM from Walmart in those capsule things that you can easily open up and get the powder out. Spring Valley I think its the brand. Does anyone know the proportions of MSM to shampoo? I doubt it would hurt to give it a try. I've seen the body lotions with MSM too. I wonder if adding to shampoo would help with preventing shedding. MSM taken internally has done wonders for me in decreasing my shedding so maybe adding it to shampoo would boost the benefit even more.

Heidi
February 28th, 2003, 07:27 AM
Ummm...what's MSM?

I'm a newbie still trying to figure out all these acronyms and abbreviations! :oops:

AmandaPanda
February 28th, 2003, 07:32 AM
Ummm...what's MSM?

I'm a newbie still trying to figure out all these acronyms and abbreviations! :oops:

Heidi, there is a lot of useful information here:
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/message?forumid=227393&messageid=1045240815
"Bargello's vitamin routine"

Heidi
February 28th, 2003, 07:38 AM
Thanks! I'll check it out! :D

Melusina
February 28th, 2003, 08:28 AM
I've never even thought of trying this -- I'm very interested in any reviews!

KT
February 28th, 2003, 08:37 AM
OK, I did the MSM thing.

I've no idea if I did it right or not - the joys of being a pioneer eh? :)

I followed my exact normal routine with the addition of MSM as follows:

One lather with GM blue shampoo
GM 60 sec conditioner with 1500mg of MSM added.
Left on for....60 seconds :P
Rinse out
Cool GM cream rinse
Towel dry
GM Instar spray
Comb through
Now air drying...

Not noticed any differences so far, I'll keep you posted.

I added the MSM to the conditioner because that is the one that stays on my hair longest. What <b>would</b> Doctor George say about me tampering with his products? :twisted:

Arcticpixie
February 28th, 2003, 09:58 AM
I wonder if it would dissolve or if it would leave the product gritty? That might make for a rinsing nightmare if it doesn't dissolve very well. Didn't someone say once that you can tell true MSM has no fillers because the MSM dissolves but the fillers float on top?? I'm interested to see other PPL's results...

Moonstone
February 28th, 2003, 11:57 AM
Didn't someone say once that you can tell true MSM has no fillers because the MSM dissolves but the fillers float on top??

I hope you have it backwards! I have MSM in capsules, but I can't bring myself to swallow them, so I open them up and pour them into a drink... and it floats... Gosh, I hope I haven't been taking false MSM all this time!

Cowgal
February 28th, 2003, 12:05 PM
Didn't someone say once that you can tell true MSM has no fillers because the MSM dissolves but the fillers float on top??

I hope you have it backwards! I have MSM in capsules, but I can't bring myself to swallow them, so I open them up and pour them into a drink... and it floats... Gosh, I hope I haven't been taking false MSM all this time!

Moonstone..... it is the fillers that float. The true MSM sinks and eventually dissapears into the water within a few minutes. I tried the Kal brand once and it failed this test miserably. Almost ALL of it floated. The Source Naturals brand was really good however. Most capsules and tablets will have SOME fillers because it holds it in tablet form. The most pure would be powdered form.

Feye
February 28th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Moonstone..... it is the fillers that float. The true MSM sinks and eventually dissapears into the water within a few minutes. I tried the Kal brand once and it failed this test miserably. Almost ALL of it floated. The Source Naturals brand was really good however. Most capsules and tablets will have SOME fillers because it holds it in tablet form. The most pure would be powdered form.

I agree with that... Valerie helped me with that the last time I was searching for MSM, and to my disappointment I realized that my MSM capsule was almost all fillers. Half of it floated, and half of it sank to the bottom in a white grainy little heap that never dissolved. I should have noticed that it was bad MSM, because it upset my stomach horribly every time I took it.

Then I found some powdered MSM, and when I pour it into a glass of water all of it dissolves! No fillers, no nothing that either sinks or floats. Just pure MSM. And it doesn't upset my stomach either :)

Karen
February 28th, 2003, 02:37 PM
the Gary Null's products have MSM and i like them a lot

Right now i am using the Morrocco Method. I think I'll add MSM next wash with them and see what happens

thanks for the idea Feye!

Moonstone
February 28th, 2003, 04:52 PM
Cowgal, Feye:

Thanks for enlightening me about MSM! I think I will get some power MSM next chance I get (which probably won't be for a while, but...). ;)

KT
March 1st, 2003, 03:20 AM
My results this morning are less than impressive I'm afraid :(

My hair, and particularly the last 10 inches or so, feel rather brittle, dry and tangly. I didn't change anything else except the MSM, so I guess this can go in the 'failed' column. I'll try again on Monday with a different S+C combination and see what happens.

Oh, and the MSM dissolved completely, it didn't feel gritty at all and I had no problems rinsing :)

merryrose31
March 1st, 2003, 03:38 AM
I have liquid MSM, which would be easy to add to products. Now, for some dumb questions: What is the purpose of using it externally? Does it still stop shedding that way? Also, if MSM is good for growing hair, do we really want to use it on our faces, as in creams? Do creams with MSM help joints just as taking it internally does?