Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Is constantly playing with your hair bad?

BLACKHOLESUN
August 24th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Once I was at a bookstore reading, and I was playing with my hair.. twisting it. stuff like that. This guy next to me, who looks about 40 yrs old, notices and started talking to me and said that he used to do that a lot as a kid, and now his hair looks like it had been cut with a lawnmower. (It looked like there was breakage on every strand of his hair, and his hair strands looked thick) In other words, playing with hair weakens the strands.. is this true?
My dad also said that he had a friend who liked to comb his fingers through his hair a lot and now he's bald. But my dad also likes to scare us with things that aren't true so yea..

.. one of the reasons I grew out my hair was so I could play with it.. haha.

But the main thing I was wondering, is, if playing with your hair can possibly make it become wavy? Cus my mane is startin to curve outwards. I'm wondering if it's from pulling on the strands, causing the roots to grow out in diff directions

eiyela
August 24th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Playing a lot with your hair might cause breakage from the friction, but unless you pull out huge chunks of it every time, there's no way you'll be permanently bald from it. Unless you actually pull it out, you can't damage the roots. The reason his hair didn't look good has more to do with his lack of care for it.

And you can't bend your roots by playing with your hair. The follicle sits too deep. Your hair might be changing with age, though. I know people who went from straight to wavy or curly when they hit puberty, for example.

BorknagElf
August 24th, 2006, 11:06 PM
I play with my hair a good deal, putting it up, down, up again, bunning in one direction, putting it down, bunning in the other direction, braiding, finger combing, etc. I'm always very careful when I do this, however - the last thing I want to do is pull on a tangle and cause breakage. As long as you aren't brutalizing your hair while you play with it, I'm pretty sure it won't cause any permanent damage. If you're constantly twirling and twisting your hair, then that could be causing a temporary flip or wave. It's the same premise as bun waves, only not as extreme. But like eiyela said, hormone changes could have something to do with it as well.

shella13
August 25th, 2006, 03:19 AM
I do the same thing when my hair's down, and as long as you're not being rough I don't think it will hurt anything. You can train your hair to do things, like training it to part on one side, so I guess it's possible to create a wave in a spot that's constantly being twisted. Your hair may just be naturally beginning to wave though. Many people begin to get a lot of curls and waves as their hair gets longer.

About the poor fellow with lawnmower hair, that may have very well happened to him, but more than likely his hair looks like that because he doesn't take care of it.

Long hair should be enjoyed! Take care of it, but have lots of fun with it too.

Happy growing! :flowers:

Moi
August 25th, 2006, 03:23 AM
No amount of playing with your hair will make it permantly wavey others wise mine would be curly ( i am current 1a). However playing with hair is damaging by he time your hair reaches your bum it can be up to six years old and in six years t will go through a lot. So playing with hair just adds to the damage im afaid sorry.

freckleface
August 25th, 2006, 09:42 AM
I also have a tendency to play with my hair a bit, but my playing is mostly things like up in a loose pony, take it down after a little bit, braid it but don't tie it off, it falls out, pony it again, and on and on. I should just leave it alone, and I am trying to . . . it was just short for so long it still is like a novelty for me.

Autumn
August 25th, 2006, 09:58 AM
In my opinion, yes. Finger combing when necessary is okay, as is redoing an updo when it becomes uncomfortable. Also, we all have to detangle our hair periodically, usually by combing. However, playing with the hair is another story. When you play with your hair you can cause tangles, accidently pull out hairs that were not ready to fall, and the friction of the hair against itself and your fingers can damage the strands. Also, you may be making your hair dirty faster by transfering oil from your skin onto your hair throughout the day.

I think the degree of damage depends partially on hair texture. I have very fine hair that is easily damaged, so I am very careful to avoid needless handling. I comb once a day in the morning, put my hair up once and leave it all day. I message my scalp in the evening and move my hair out of the way when I need to, but thats about it. Perhaps I am overly strict with myself, but I think I lose/damage fewer hairs that way.

It may not seem like a big deal. However, as Moi pointed out, if you are trying to grow out your hair, your ends will be quite old by the time you reach your goal. Playing with a section of hair frequently over a period of 6 or more years can cause a lot of damage.

chitraa
August 26th, 2006, 01:10 AM
playing with hair if weak, can cuse bit of hair loss. if healthy its ok, but depends how much and how you play.
chitra

raindiamonds
August 26th, 2006, 01:25 AM
I think it would be okay you're not pulling on it,maybe he said that to get you to talk to him.

ladykemma
August 26th, 2006, 03:00 AM
well, damage aside, 19 yrs, when you begin your career it will look really odd and unprofessional if you are playing with your hair. would you like your attorney playing with her hair during your trial? better to break this habit now, i think.

also twisting and twirling hair can be perceived as juvenile.

appearance and mannerisms are important.

good luck!

oldkathy
August 26th, 2006, 05:30 AM
Uhoh, my worst habit....twirling my hair into ringlets. Whenever I just sit, like watching tv, that is what I do. I do get hairs that fall out when I twist, but I think they are just loose ones (hopefully). Juvenile, maybe, but I'm 59!

phedre
August 26th, 2006, 08:05 AM
I hope not, because I play with my hair all the time! When I'm thinking, or nervous, my hands automatically go to a lock of hair on the left side of my head. The rest I don't really touch.

Having said that, that particular lock doesn't look any different from the rest of my hair. No more splits, no rougher, and feels the same.

Birchbark
August 26th, 2006, 08:18 AM
I play with my hair a lot, and I really don't think I'm causing that much damage. I think it may depend on your hairtype and what exactly you're doing to your hair. When my hair is down or in any style that is a bit messy, I will start playing with it. It's kind of annoying when I'm in class, so I try to do secure updos. I am also worried I look childish when I'm doing that, but often I don't realize it since it's become such a habit.