Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Peanut butter on hair

Moi
August 22nd, 2006, 11:04 AM
Has anyone tried this. I was thinking about doing a condition with peanut butter so i will post with the results unless someone posts first and strongly advises againts it lol

LindsayNichole
August 22nd, 2006, 11:13 AM
I've wondered about this before and how it might work. I think I would want to eat my hair though. :D I love peanut butter!

Cayda
August 22nd, 2006, 11:33 AM
Interesting... I have no idea how it would work, but are you thinking pure peanut butter (like the kind you grind yourself) or the stuff with all the extra stuff that you buy in the grocery store?

LittleFlower
August 22nd, 2006, 11:40 AM
Seriously I would spread it on wholegrain toast and eat it. Provided you're not allergic to nuts you'd probably get better hair-friendly protein from consuming it rather than applying it externally. If you want the benefits of the oils there are many other types of oils that are easier to apply and wash out without leaving your hair smelling like stir-fry. And if it's protein you're after, bear in mind that most hair doesn't like a lot of protein. An easier protein treatment from the kitchen would be to use coconut milk, eggs or mayo - all are treatments that actually have been proven to be beneficial for some members.

wonderlywroughte
August 22nd, 2006, 11:43 AM
I think it would be way too hard to get out of your hair and would negate any sort of good it might have done. I'd agree also with LittleFlower...just eat it! :smile: Not all food makes a good hair treatment! :wink:

silencepainter
August 22nd, 2006, 11:43 AM
IMO Peanut butter goes on a bread like substance accompanied by jam, jelly or honey.

Why not just oil your hair? It be the same thing minus the peanut chunks and sugar.

Eboshi
August 22nd, 2006, 11:45 AM
http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/imagedepot/dontfeedtrolls.png

Flaxen
August 22nd, 2006, 11:47 AM
I seem to remember a thread about pb...ah yes, here it is. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=33138) :smile:

LittleFlower
August 22nd, 2006, 11:57 AM
http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/imagedepot/dontfeedtrolls.png
:lol:

But perhaps they like peanut butter...

ChloeDharma
August 22nd, 2006, 12:08 PM
Thanks Flaxen! I completely forgot about this, then when i saw this thread i thought "oooh, that rings bells!"
Well i personally decided not to as i think my fine hair would take quite a bashing if it was hard to get out, and now i think of it, i'm thinking just the act of putting it in would be a nightmare, plus the salt puts me off.
So now i've just listed reasons NOT to try this....if anybody does have a go, i'd be fascinated to hear what happens! lol

Bloop
August 22nd, 2006, 01:44 PM
Yea i'd be tempted to just eat my hair or atleast suck on it for the yummy PB. :lol:

granitbaby
August 22nd, 2006, 01:57 PM
Why not just put peanut oil in your hair? Feels easier to get out than butter.
I tested peanut oil last month and it didnīt work for me...just made my hair greasy.

Amoretti
August 22nd, 2006, 01:58 PM
I think you'd probably have to scrub it so much to get it out that it would be counter productive. But if you're game for it, let us know how it went! Good luck!:grin:

BorknagElf
August 22nd, 2006, 02:06 PM
Maybe diluting the peanut butter with a conditioner, or adding some to a SMT might be easier to get out of your hair than applying it full strength.

Desdemona
August 22nd, 2006, 02:10 PM
I see the thinking here - if you just use peanut oil, you would only be getting the oil, but if you use the whole butter, you're getting the protein too. Genius. You might want to try the crunchy kind if you want extra conditioning effect. I know a lot of you are now thinking about honey or jelly for the sugar (adds shine). But what about, mmm, chocolate for the antioxidants as well? That would really be great. Yeah, melt some Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and put that on your hair. Let us know how it turns out! :silly:

Sian100
August 22nd, 2006, 02:24 PM
Seriously I would spread it on wholegrain toast and eat it.

Now I have a craving for peanut butter on wholemeal toast thanks to you- I love it!

Karen Marie Shelton
August 22nd, 2006, 02:49 PM
I have used a peanut butter mask for my hair in the past but it was hard to remove the peanut butter and it left my hair greasy.

My own recipe was 1/2 smooth organic peanut butter mixed with 1/2 all natural honey and then softened in the top of a double broiler.

Keep in mind that since Peanut butter can remove sap it tends to dissolve oils and the last thing you may want to dissolve is your hair oils. I also have tried peanut oil and it is OK but not as good for me as jojoba or other oils that I prefer.

I have attached a fun peanut butter recipe that I got from the Sue Bee Honey folks a long time ago. No...not for your hair but fun and you can eat if...if you want to. But probably not after playing with it.

Peanut Butter Playdough Recipe

Take 1 cup smooth peanut butter, 1/2 cup honey and 2 cups Nonfat Dry Milk. Mix together the peanut butter and honey first. Add half of the dry milk and mix; then continue to add a little at a time until it feels soft & playdoo worthy! Use less than 2 cups of dry milk if the clay seems to be getting dry.

Enjoy!

Rain
August 22nd, 2006, 02:53 PM
I think your plumber would love you extra if you washed peanut butter down the pipes.

spidermom
August 22nd, 2006, 03:12 PM
Scary thought! Don't do it! Have you ever had to get peanut butter out of a kid's hair? The easiest way is with scissors.

Morticia
August 22nd, 2006, 03:16 PM
MMmmmm...nutty.

icydove
August 22nd, 2006, 05:02 PM
I used peanut butter to get blue-tack out of DD's hair. Worked pretty well, but I did have to shampoo it out.

pennylane
August 22nd, 2006, 05:23 PM
And what about cream cheese, salsa napolitana or just plain mustard?...you never know...

Raederle
August 22nd, 2006, 07:38 PM
I used peanut butter to get blue-tack out of DD's hair. Worked pretty well, but I did have to shampoo it out.

That's along the lines of what I was thinking. Wasn't peanut butter supposed to help get chewing gum out of hair? I remember reading about it, then thinking, "but then how do you get the peanut butter out?"

BLACKHOLESUN
August 22nd, 2006, 07:48 PM
why not add some jelly?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yTr-ekKINTE

Dianyla
August 22nd, 2006, 11:07 PM
Going against the grain here, I think you should totally GO FOR IT! :thumbsup:

Crinita
August 22nd, 2006, 11:41 PM
I have used peanut butter in my hair before... to get out chewing gum. Worked like a charm!

sapphire-o
August 22nd, 2006, 11:52 PM
Just be careful about where you lean you head against in public. Some people are extremely allergic to peanuts and hair is usually not somewhere they might expect an allergen.

Sage
August 23rd, 2006, 03:22 AM
Just be careful about where you lean you head against in public. Some people are extremely allergic to peanuts and hair is usually not somewhere they might expect an allergen.

True, it would be unfair to cause a reaction in unsuspecting people. I recommend caution:lol:

Morticia
August 23rd, 2006, 04:53 AM
I would definitely go with the crunchy kind of peanut butter rather than creamy. The big pieces of peanuts contribute to the conditioning properties.

froglet
August 23rd, 2006, 05:03 AM
I would definitely go with the crunchy kind of peanut butter rather than creamy. The big pieces of peanuts contribute to the conditioning properties.

Along that train of thought, don't marshmallows contain gelatin? It's good for nails right, so how about hair? I mean you'd have to melt them first. Maybe mixed with the peanut butter.

Might be a bit hard to get out though. Maybe.

Sage
August 23rd, 2006, 05:09 AM
Along that train of thought, don't marshmallows contain gelatin? It's good for nails right, so how about hair? I mean you'd have to melt them first. Maybe mixed with the peanut butter.

Not if you used Fluff (http://www.marshmallowfluff.com/pages/homepage.html):lol: .

Then you would have a FlufferNutter:silly:

Nimue
August 23rd, 2006, 05:13 AM
If you try it, let us know how it goes please.

Tabitha
August 23rd, 2006, 05:44 AM
I was eating one of my favourite sandwiches only yesterday - peanut butter and Marmite on wholemeal.

Coupled with this thread, that's made me ponder the beneficial properties of Marmite (or Vegemite) used as a deep treatment. It is rich in B vitamins which are meant to be good for hair growth so applied locally it must be even better. I wonder if it would tone down my lowlights, which have gone a bit brassy, and make my natural brown deeper and richer.

rachel060186
August 23rd, 2006, 05:49 AM
Oh gosh I can see alot of people posting in the next few days wanting a cure for seriously matted hair. Please just try these things on a small section rather than your whole head.

Rain
August 23rd, 2006, 06:32 AM

Exfoliating scalp treatment. Your scalp will SPARKLE while you shell out dough to get your pipes unclogged. Bonus!!

Tai Shan Fan
August 23rd, 2006, 06:45 AM
I was eating one of my favourite sandwiches only yesterday - peanut butter and Marmite on wholemeal.

Coupled with this thread, that's made me ponder the beneficial properties of Marmite (or Vegemite) used as a deep treatment. It is rich in B vitamins which are meant to be good for hair growth so applied locally it must be even better. I wonder if it would tone down my lowlights, which have gone a bit brassy, and make my natural brown deeper and richer.

Ooh Tabatha, what a good idea! Do you think marmite will intensify my indigo ;-)