Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : How do you clean your scrunchies?

Lux
August 14th, 2006, 01:11 PM
My old scrunchie is starting to smell weird. I usually throw them in the washing machine with my clothes, but I don't want any residue from the detergent to get in my hair. (I haven't yet tried other ways to wash my clothes.) Is there a way to wash them that keeps them clean and doesn't ruin the elastic? I thought maybe cold water would be best, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Ursula
August 14th, 2006, 01:17 PM
I just wash them with my clothes. I use whatever laundry detergent is the cheapest, and no fabric softener. Machine dry, on medium/permanent press setting, along with the clothes.

Most of my scrunchies are relatively cheap cotton material. So they wash up fine.

And if you think about it, your hair will be in contact with whatever you wash your cothes with, as it brushes against your clothing bed sheets, towels, etc.

Scrunchies are cheap, so I wouldn't worry much about damage from washing. And laundry detergent in the tiny amounts left after clothes have been washed, rinsed, and dried, is not much of a risk to your hair.

This is a time to relax and don't worry about it.

Carolyn
August 14th, 2006, 01:17 PM
I just throw mine in the washer. The rinse cycle gets my clothes rinsed well enough to wear so I feel a scrunchie gets rinsed just as well. Unless it's some special color that matches something specific why not just go buy some new ones?

Shermie Girl
August 14th, 2006, 01:41 PM
I have to admit, when my scrunchies get grungy, I just give them the old heave-ho. Then I go buy more. Wasteful, I know. :blushing:

Fireweed
August 14th, 2006, 01:43 PM
You could try washing them in the sink with shampoo.

HerbalAnnie
August 14th, 2006, 05:29 PM
My cat destroys them so I get to buy new ones.

dagonlilly
August 14th, 2006, 05:31 PM
I just throw them in with my regular clothes. I have yet to have a elastic break usually my thick hair will do that.

dixie
August 14th, 2006, 05:48 PM
In the washer but in one of those dollar store mesh "lingerie" zippered bags so I can find them later. I don't dry in the dryer but airdry to save the elastic.

hipmama1970
August 14th, 2006, 06:14 PM
I put them in the washer, too.

Often times, when there's something in my wash that I want treated specially, I don't use fabric softener. I just put white vinegar in the dispenser instead and everything gets rinsed really well and is pretty static free. You might try that if you're worried, the vinegar is supposed to help the detergent rinse out better.

CurlyCare
August 14th, 2006, 06:36 PM
I'd follow whatever care is appropriate for the fabric. A silk scrunchi, I'd wash by hand with a gentle detergent. Cotton or blends I'd toss in the wash. Like others have said, airdrying may be kinder to the elastic. But if you are mostly concerned about detergent residue, I'd put white vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser. Gets detergent residue off diapers, so it should work for scrunchis too.

Mebo
August 14th, 2006, 06:44 PM
I do what Dixie does, especially for the "lacier" ones - don't want to snag it on anything else in the load.

By the way, scrunchies make cute collars for little toy dogs. My yorkie wears one sometimes when I'm in the mood to fix her hair and play. She's convinced that she's extra beautiful when she wears one.

queen_ottf
August 14th, 2006, 07:11 PM
I too throw my scrunchies in with my clothes. In fact, I did a major wash of all of my scrunchies about a month ago, so I had this line of scrunchies hanging on the clothesline. It amused me muchly. :+D

AngelsWatchOver
August 14th, 2006, 07:18 PM
I second, third or whatever whateveryone else has said about washing them with clothing. I am too cheap to throw them away, until they snap or the material falls apart. I have not tried the vinegar rinse yet, but sounds good. Thanks for the idea.

Koala Kim
August 14th, 2006, 07:18 PM
I put them in a lingerie bag and wash them with the rest of my clothes.

sapphire-o
August 15th, 2006, 03:18 AM
I've never washed a scrunchy. :) OK, so I've only had them for a few weeks and they don't seem to smell funny yet. The lady I bought them from said just toss them in the washer for cleaning. It's funny that I've never used scrunchies until I joined LHC.

gina2328
August 15th, 2006, 05:49 AM
Same as my bra and other delicate laundry, put them in a zippered laundry bag. I think they would get destroyed just putting them in the washing maching. Air dry, because they might shrink putting them in the dryer.

oldkathy
August 15th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Never washed them, but just sniffed the one laying on my desk and it needs it! So I'll toss it in the wash with my laundry like everyone says. By the way, do you guys remember the episode of Sex in the City where Cary makes fun of the people who wear scrunchies as fashion. Too funny!

KellieKay
August 15th, 2006, 06:26 AM
In the washer but in one of those dollar store mesh "lingerie" zippered bags so I can find them later. I don't dry in the dryer but airdry to save the elastic.

This is the method I use.