Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : A most interesting LoL conversation -

Wanita
August 6th, 2006, 05:00 PM
I was just outside talking to my neighbor, who happens to work in a salon in a neighboring town. We talked about a lot of things, and somehow the topic of LoL came up. Her salon does LoL donations. She said her and a fellow stylist were talking about Oprah. I guess there's something coming up where you can tell Oprah what you want to see on her show.

Here's what they want to see re/LoL: the process from start to finish, including how the wigs are made and what the cost is, etc., because all that's ever shown on TV is the cut. And that's all they as salon owners get to see.

So that started a LoL/math discussion, and I told her how I felt about their math, going by their own website figures. We both agreed that if it were money that was donated to a charity, we would like to see more than 1-10% of it being used for the charity. Now she wants to write LoL directly and ask them why the figures are the way they are.

Her church does donations of hand-made turbans and caps for cancer patients. She feels they should be free because it's a service they provide for the patients. She also believes that if the salons are donating their services for the haircut for LoL, their work should actually result in a donatable service, not just end up in a warehouse.

I told her how some long-haired people are questioned about why they're growing their hair, and being given a guilt trip over their hair, and she thought that was terrible. Her opinion if she sees someone with long hair is they like to have long hair. She never looks at them as a future LoL donor.

Hopefully one salon gets a LoL education. All in all, I think it was a good conversation with a good neighbor.

DreamerTheresa
August 6th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Great post.

LisaJaney
August 6th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Very cool, Wanita! Gently educating without criticism; I'm sure that your words helped her a lot and will raise a lot more questions that I hope she'll pursue!

:smooch: You're the best!

Megan1983
August 6th, 2006, 07:14 PM
I completely agree. I am extremely weary of LoL. Also like you posted, I have an aunt who constanly touches and comments on my hair, asking, "when are you going to cut it? You could donate to LoL". If she weren't family I would tell her to keep her nose in her own buisness...