Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Cones and flaxseed oil questions?

Jewel007
July 17th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Hi I am new here I just joined and have a couple of questions.

I have heard cones are bad, but are they bad for all hair? I have very dry hair and it is a bit corse as well and I find that they tame it somewhat but now I am worried they are damaging my hair?

Also my hair is in rather bad shape I have just been through a pretty stressful pregnancy and its seen better days but I am a bit skint at the moment so can't get many products, I read online that Essential fatty acids are good to replace moister in hair and when I looked up what they were it included Flaxseed oil. I found some flaxseed oil capsules in my cupboard and snipped one in half as they have expired so I won't be swallowing them and I thought perhaps they would work in my hair to improve moister? What do you think?

Cheers Jewel.

Polgara
July 17th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Hi there Jewel, i'm pretty new to all of this too although i do recommend that you use the search function and type in 'cones', there is plenty of info about.

My opinion from what i have picked up here is that cones (as in silicone) coat the hair and mask the damage you may have caused though rough handling and/or colour treating.

I have personally found that cones are no good for CO (condition only washing) because of the build up on the hair - causing it to be lank. The cones need shampoo to clean them ir off the hair. I'm sure the more knowledgeable ones could provide you with a bit more info...

As for the flaxseed, i use it in my own vitamin program for the omega's it provides. Fish oil is a stronger source of omega's and you generally need to take less of it. Bargello's Vitamin Regimen under recipe's should provide a bit more info.

HTH

HairColoredHair
July 17th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Hi I am new here I just joined and have a couple of questions.

First, welcome.

I have heard cones are bad, but are they bad for all hair? I have very dry hair and it is a bit corse as well and I find that they tame it somewhat but now I am worried they are damaging my hair? No, cones are not evil.

Cones cover hair. They can protect hair from damage, decrease tangles, and hold in moisture. They can also hide damage that is already there, cause tangles (from buildup), and lock out moisture.

Many people here do use cones on a regular basis. If they work well for your hair, that's wonderful. (Though, coarse hair isn't a bad thing, : ) ) You could also look for water soluable cones, as these don't build up as much and should require less clarifying.

Also my hair is in rather bad shape I have just been through a pretty stressful pregnancy and its seen better days but I am a bit skint at the moment so can't get many products, I read online that Essential fatty acids are good to replace moister in hair and when I looked up what they were it included Flaxseed oil. I found some flaxseed oil capsules in my cupboard and snipped one in half as they have expired so I won't be swallowing them and I thought perhaps they would work in my hair to improve moister? What do you think?
I think that it couldn't really hurt to try. I know some people with snip Vitamin E capsules to use on their hair. I'm not sure about Flaxseed oil, but some oils coat the hair and do not absorb, acting somewhat like cones in that respect. Some people's hair likes oils, some do not. It's all trial and error (my hair loooooves oil).

I would suggest taking in a good diet to help the hair that's growing out recover from the depletion your pregnancy caused, and tender loving care for the hair that's already there. I'm sure you'll find plenty of things to try on the boards.

HTH

Jewel007
July 17th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Thank you so much. I feel so excited that I find these forums, I am a bit of a product junky.

Ok so cones are not damaging in themselves but if they build up they can lock moister out of hair eeekk the exact opposite of what my hair needs. I just looked in my bathroom cupboard and my makeup drawer for hair products I own and have use half of the bottle of and I only found one "ONE" product (out of many many) that does not have a -cone in it. Hmm and it was the pears shampoo that my husband borrowed the other day to wash the dog LOL (I brought it for him to use). I must gravitate towards these cones huh.

Ok off to ask more questions then :)

Jewel