Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Curly hair frustration (what do you do after washing!?)

Bellini
July 5th, 2006, 02:55 AM
i think i've tried to ask this before but got misunderstood! My general frustration is how to wash and "position" my hair.... i'm not doing a good job of explaining myself am i but heres what i've tried..

- i'm in the shower and my hair is freshly washed, roots are flat as anything, hair is wet and slapped back so now what? If i brush to seperate and try and add volume all i do is add frizz (i have very fine hair and once its washed if i run anything through it it frizzes like mad!)
- i've tried flipping my head forwards and backwards to seperate but i soak the bathroom and still end up with flat roots although this is probably the best results i've got so far but would like to find a better solution if possible
- washing / rinsing my hair upside down gives really weird results! mega curls on top and then straggly bits underneath... yuk
- plopping doesn't work either!! ARGH!

Please help girls, the diffuser is calling!!!

:wail:

ravenlox
July 5th, 2006, 03:19 AM
Bellini, this is what I do.
After combing conditioner through and rinsing, I apply my hair product (Curl Keeper) to soaking wet hair. Whilst its still soaking wet, ( still in the shower) I flip my head upside down. I give a few short sharp shakes from side to side, then back and forward. Then I gently hold on to the ends of my hair and shake them so the roots loosen right up. still upside down I use a towel to scrunch the excess water out of my hair, ( scrunching by blotting up from the ends to the roots) scrunch in a little Boots, then flip over and arrange the top layers. I think everyone does it differently, but thats just the way I do it, and Ican get awesome root lift. forgot to say...... airdry only for me. the diffuser gives me deformed curls and frizz. also no touchie til its dry. :smile:

Medvssa
July 5th, 2006, 03:42 AM
My hair is thick, but also curly as yours. For me combing when it's very wet doesn't bing frizz (well, not so much) but if I were you with fine hair I would skip this and comb with the conditioner in the shower. When I get out, I (comb and) apply aloe vera gel and a bit of Fox's conditioning cream mixed in my palms, apply that to ends and canopy, and then bending forward I loosen the hair from the top of my hair with my fingers.
Then I grab a towel, I scrunch the hair upwards, like, push the hair towards my head and holding it into my hands with the towels I scrunch, this removes excess water, bring more curl all the way up and the top of my hair and doesn't look so flat this way.

It is in fact more or less the same ravenlox suggested :)

Bellini
July 5th, 2006, 03:51 AM
Thanks ladies.. you both have GORGEOUS curls!!!

Curlsgirl
July 5th, 2006, 07:44 AM
In the Curly Girl book there is also a method you can use involving metal spring type hair clips or you can use those little jaw clips but both catch in my hair especially the little jaw clips:rockerdud . If you don't have that book by Lorraine Massey it is a MUST for us curly girls ($10 at Barnes and Noble or Amazon). It helped me tremendously! I have trouble getting root lift also but I have mostly loose curls and I like the look of a straighter top and then curlier bottom especially as my hair gets longer so I don't really encourage lift that much on my roots. I think applying a gel with some polymer like Aura hypo gel to your roots while your hair is flipped over upside down would help. I only mostly use the 100% aloe gel now since I really don't like the crunchy feel of the polymers. I haven't had success with plopping either. It makes my hair too "big" especially since it is already so thick anyway.

hairfitness101
July 5th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Bellini, I have fine curly hair as well. Some of this has been mentioned, but I'll tell you my method. I find that "Less is more" when it comes to fine hair. Less product, less messing with it, but it must stay moisturized and needs slight hold. Enough hold that it doesn't frizz, and not so much that when the wind hits it, it automatically turns to birds' nest hair that cannot be combed out. :silly:

After s&c, I wrap it in a microfiber towel (actually its my babies' towel-very soft-prevents frizz) Then after about 5minutes, I use my Giovanni Direct- leave in, only about a pea size! I use my seamless plastic comb to run it through and get out any tangles. Then I run my fingers through it just at the crown to give it a little lift and direction-where I want it to go. Then air dry with no fussing and mussing. I have been experimenting with some aloe vera underneath hair at crown (while wet) to give it some volume at the crown where I need it. And some at ends- not sure yet about it. Some love it, I'm sort of love/hate with it. But it does give it a brushable hold.

If after hair is dry, ends are either frizzy for some reason or I want to redirect curl, I spritz with straight rosewater. It softens it and helps my frizzies. Oils can be beneficial but on fine hair- it can be really rough trying to get the right combo or an oil your hair likes. I've also had luck mixing coconut oil with aloe until white and creamy. That mix may work for you as a leave-in-but of course, go easy on it. Too much and its frizz/stringy city. Can you tell I love leave-ins?

One more thing, I am finding that no matter how much I try, I cannot bun or braid it while wet and expect it to come out right in the morning. Maybe its a "fine" hair thing-dunno. But I have had the best luck with bunning after hair is air dried, with some rosewater in it-for softening. Then I don't have to worry about the knots in the morning. Braids seem to straighten my hair for some wierd reason. Or give it wierd patterns. HTH

citymorningblue
July 5th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Here is what I do:
While conditioner is in (in the shower), I comb through each side separately with a plastic seamless wide-tooth comb. Then I rinse out the conditioner. When I get out of the shower, I don't touch my hair at all. I just leave each side in front of my shoulder, for as long as it takes to dry.

If I'm going to be doing something where I can't sit basically still until my hair dries, I put it up in a bun. Before I go to sleep, I take the bun out and toss all my hair over my pillow (satin pillowcase) and wake up to nice curls. HTH!

Adrienne
July 5th, 2006, 11:00 AM
after I CO. ( shampoo is the death of my curly hair, I use it very rarely) sometimes when the conditinor is in I run a wide tooth comb through my hair, other times I just finger comb. after I rinse while my hair is still soaking wet I add Proclaim Curl and Wave Gel.

then I shake my head rock star style, lol. lol, and let it air dry

TwirlyTresses
July 5th, 2006, 11:17 AM
I have a similar method to those mentioned here, I think...

--After rinsing in the shower, I squeeze out excess water with my hands.
--Then I use a wide-toothed comb to detangle and part it (I like a side part).
--I use Dianyla's hairstick technique to separate the hair and add lift (sorry I couldn't find where she posted this--basically I take a plastic hair stick and run it through my hair at the scalp several times on each side of the part so it's not plastered against my head any more).
--I mix aloe gel and jojoba in my hands (or use another gel depending on how I'm feeling), and run them through the length.
--Scrunch with my hands to encourage curl.
--Gently scrunch with a towel, just enough that my hair isn't dripping everywhere.
--Let it air dry without touching it.

This has given me the most consistent curls. I've found that the key to reducing frizz is to manipulate my hair (parting, scrunching, etc.) while it's as wet as possible, and then not touch it at all as it's drying.

Good luck!

Curlsgirl
July 5th, 2006, 12:56 PM
citymorningblue, my hair is looking almost exactly like yours except shorter now that I am doing CO only. I like it curlier on the bottom too. Do you not use any gel at all on your hair? I only use 100% aloe gel but maybe I will try it without it to see what happens :smile:

teela1978
July 5th, 2006, 01:20 PM
I do things a little different than those mentioned, so I thought I'd throw in what I do too :)

My hair is a bit less curly than the rest, but I have the fine thing going on too. I comb in the shower (and part my hair) and soak it again before I get out. I usually lean to the side and use a towel and a 2-handed approach to scrunch/blot out the water, repeat on the other side, and then scrunch in some leave-in and/or gel. I always attempt to airdry without touching but I'm bad.

That usually leaves it a bit flat on the top, but I don't have time to do the Lorraine Massey clipping technique (although it works wonders when I bother with it!).

ravenlox
July 5th, 2006, 07:17 PM
I must admit, I also have the curl girl book and have found it to be a great resource. I now use her clipping technique for extra... vavooom.:silly:

Bellini
July 6th, 2006, 03:23 AM
Thanks for all the great suggestions, i tried the upsidedown shake head method last night and my curls looked great (my friends were green!!!). I was giving hope on the whole airdry thing but thanks again!!:rockerdud