Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Best way to get (latex) paint out of hair?

dancingbarefoot
June 26th, 2006, 10:51 AM
I posted about this in my journal last night, but I accidentally got paint in my hair yesterday while painting a giant bookshelf. Can't get it out!

Basically, my braid (while in a bun) pressed up against the paint, so there are two sections of the braid that are covered in paint. I couldn't peel it off like I usually can with latex paint. How can I get it out?

eiyela
June 26th, 2006, 11:09 AM
I got this tip from colehardware.com:

"You can remove paint splatters from your hair by rubbing the spots with baby oil."

I imagine any oil will do, though. Baby oil is liquid paraffine, so it's hard to remove if you don't normally use shampoo.

wonderlywroughte
June 26th, 2006, 12:56 PM
I was going to suggest oil too! So, I'll just say that I hope you get it out without incident! :grin:

dixie
June 26th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Sometimes regular (with the oil, not lowfat) peanut butter works. I guess plain oil is about the same. I had to start wearing a showercap when I paint as I splash everywhere.

SunCat
June 26th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Since latex paint is water based you should be able to shampoo it out, if that doesn't work try some oil. I have removed latex paint by just washing my hair.

AngelinaDiva2004
June 26th, 2006, 02:38 PM
This is a great reminder to all of us to cover our hair completely when we paint! I just painted some shelves with my cousin about a month ago, and I got it all over my hair too. It was just small spots here and there and it all came out with some shampoo. My mom got some paint on her locks about half a year ago and it hung on for over a week! She couldn't get it to come off at all! Paint is an enemy of long hair, or any hair, I suppose. Let's all remember to cover our heads next time we paint! :)

dancingbarefoot
June 26th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Yeah, I should've put on a bandana just in case, but I didn't think my head would be getting anywhere near the paint. :wink:

AngelinaDiva2004
June 26th, 2006, 03:46 PM
I made the same mistake! I was like, "Oh no, I won't get any on my hair or clothes." Yeah right! :) It was all over the place. LOL

ladykemma
June 26th, 2006, 05:13 PM
water soluble.

dancingbarefoot
June 26th, 2006, 06:05 PM
I'll have to try some oil tonight before I go to bed. Water alone hasn't worked, despite latex being water soluble.

I didn't cover my hair when I painted my ceiling, and I didn't get any paint in my hair then. But when I paint a bookshelf that's laid out across sawhorses and I'm standing above it, so that gravity should ensure that paint can't possibly reach my head, I get paint in my hair. Figures. :lol:

Thanks for the suggestions!

AngelinaDiva2004
June 26th, 2006, 06:10 PM
I think it's really only water soluble when the paint is still wet. I'd imagine that some oil would do it. If not, it will eventually come off after several shampoos.

MadPirateBippy
June 26th, 2006, 07:38 PM
When I was painting for a living, I'd just let it sit in the hair and gently scrape it off with a fingernail if it was someplace I could get to it.

I don't know how HEALTHY that is for your hair, but it will get it out slowly, and somewhat gently.

Saga
June 26th, 2006, 09:56 PM
My experience with latex paints is that it usually comes out by itself after a while even if doing nothing. I don’t know if you paints are different than the paints here in Finland though, but I would assume they are pretty much the same. Heavy oiling have helped me a little, so always worth a try.

A bigger problem would be acrylate paints in your hair… got some spots of that in my own hair, so if anyone got any suggestions for getting that out it would be appreciated. :rolleyes:

eiyela
June 27th, 2006, 02:33 AM
I've gotten acrylic paint in my hair before... It came out with shampoo. The tricky part was getting it out from my nails! It somehow lodged itself in the middle of the nail and decided to stay there until I cut it off. :silly:

jenny'sdreaming
June 27th, 2006, 07:26 AM
I did a lot of painting this winter and I got a lot of it in my hair. I had no problem shampooing it out and even when I started COing that got it out too. I think the main thing is whatever you use, let it soak in a bit to soften the paint. If it's truely latex and therefore water-based it should come out. If you were mistaken and it's oil based then it may have to wear off, short of using harsher methods.

P.S. the laws of gravity mean nothing when it come to paint. If I had been anywhere in the same house as you when you were painting I would have gotten it in my hair. :lol:

Merlin
June 27th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Rember that the whole point of paint is that once it's on, it's not meant to come off! BUT it's intended to go onto smooth, prepared, stable and grease-free surfaces and hair is none of the above so the adhesion will be reduced. With any luck it should flake, wear and chip off naturally in time, and carefully trying to assist it with some of the methods recommended here may well help with that process.

A lot depends of course on what type of paint it was - what were the brush cleaning instructions on the tin? In general emulsion paint is far more likely to come off than oil-based paints (such as gloss or eggshell) I'd think. Somehow I suspect that white spirit or turpentine are not substences you'd want to put on your hair!

I remember that when we painted the lounge with emulsion we had a black and magnolia cat for a while, but in the end it became an all-black cat again. I suspect a mixture of cat-washing, natural wear and hair loss shifted it all. Not that I advocate you licking your hair of course.............

Dvips
June 27th, 2006, 09:22 AM
The best way I found for getting late paint out from under my nails was to wash & condition my hair... so I would guess that washing & conditioning the hair would work. However, I assume that you did condition when you washed and it still didn't work (?), so I would say that oiling would be the next try.

Best of luck with this! Be sure to tell us what worked best.

Mebo
June 28th, 2006, 10:32 AM
DBF, did you get it out? What worked best? I have the feeling I need to know by this weekend - have a little painting of mine own to do!

dancingbarefoot
June 28th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Sorry, sorry! I'm bad about updating. No, I didn't get it out, but that's because I hadn't washed my hair. I kept planning to do it, but every night I got busy with home improvement or some other stuff and then before I knew it, it was 2 a.m. and I didn't feel like washing my hair. :wink: Some of it came out when I washed it last night, but I can tell it's going to take a few more washes. Might be a while, since I don't wash my hair every time I take a shower.

Your best bet is to be smarter than I was and cover your hair before you paint. :lol:

dixie
June 28th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Agreed. The heck with vanity. I had to paint the underside of my metal canopy on my circa 1920's store back in the day and it was right on Main Street. A small town, yes, but in the same block as the Courthouse so tons of friends and hot men stopped by. Question "What are you doing?" Good grief. Obviously painting with dark green heavy oilbased paint with a pink plastic shower cap on my head.