Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Fragrance oil in hair?

blue_nant
June 19th, 2006, 04:21 PM
No luck searching for this: Are there any problems inherent in using a fragrance oil in one's hair?

I currently use jojoba & clove essential oil, in a ratio of about 6:1
I'm in love with clove, but I have another scent I'd like to try.
What do you think of using jojoba and a fragrance oil instead?

embee
June 19th, 2006, 04:31 PM
When you say "in" hair, I'm not quite sure what you mean. I use it "on" my hair, sort of.

After I've washed my hair it will be quite flyaway for a few days, and then sometimes, after my hair's in an updo, I'll take a *tiny* drop of fragrance oil (lily of the valley usually, but I also have almond, coconut, and vanilla) and rub it on my hands and then smooth my scalp hair gently with it - just to keep the wispies sorta in place. Never noticed any problems, but I only do this once in a while.

Lady
June 19th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Is fragrance oil the same as essential oils? I was wondering if essential oils would be OK to use, I'd really like something to control the little fly-away bits of hair and I'd rather use an essential oil to do this than gel or hairspray.

Lady

Gladtobemom
June 19th, 2006, 04:36 PM
I have some recipes for shampo and conditioner that use fragrance oils (violet for instance). But in very small amounts.

I think most of the actual smell in many commercial products comes from fragrance oils because they are so stable and less expensive than essential oils.

I don't think they have much treatment value though.

I have a friend who uses this recipe plus silk protein and violet, to make a wonderful conditioner. She gave me some for Christmas. She calls it Violet Cloud.

http://theherbarie.com/HydroBody-Conditioner-p-62.html

I learned of this website from a beautybottle post and wheh I told my friend, she laughed and said that this was the conditioner she gave me for Christmas. She makes it in large amounts for her salon--she owns a day spa type place. She adds silk protein, violet fragrance oil, and bottles in sterile plastic bottles (she uses some sort of machine to sterilize them)

blue_nant
June 19th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Clarifying:

After a wash, I let it dry a little, then put a dime-sized puddle of jojoba in my palm, and 2-4 drops of clove essential oil. I rub my hands together and rub the oil into the bottom 2 feet of my hair to reduce damage.

So if I did the same with jojoba and a fragrance oil, then what do you think?

dancingmegs
June 19th, 2006, 05:03 PM
I often use a mix of aloe gel and jojoba on wet hair, with a bit of essential oil mixed in. Currently loving lime or grapefruit.

Also, whenever I put on my BPAL perfume oils, I put a bit my my hair, right at the hairline, front and back.

NuclearMosquito
June 19th, 2006, 05:26 PM
I use fragrance oils from majestic mountain sage (www.thesage.com) all the time in my spritzer and oil treatments. I've never had any issues with them. And they smell wonderful!

Teacherbear
June 19th, 2006, 05:28 PM
If I am understanding your question correctly, yes, it is ok to use many essential oils on your hair and/or mixed with oils or other products. You might search for "essential oils" and/or specific essential oils (like clove or lavender).

soprano
June 19th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Are you talking about regular, every day use, or just sometimes?

I *occasionally* put all sorts of fragerances in my hair, up to and including regular perfume, and I've suffered no ill effects. But we're talking less than once a month, here. For everyday, I would stick to something very safe and very diluted - you don't want to knock anyone out with your great scent!

Celtic-Princess
June 19th, 2006, 05:39 PM
I use Jazmine and Rose EO's in my leave in bottle and spritz bottle and have not seen any bad effects. i usually put about 20 drops of EO's to a 8 Oz. Spritz bottle, (leave in after shower. ) filled with 1/2 Oz. conditioner, 1/2 Oz. Aloe Vera gel, 1/2 Oz. Oil Mix, 1 Oz. Rosewater and the rest is filled with water. shaken and spritzed on wet hair before combing. i haven't seen any bad side effects, just notice hair smells great.

HTH.

Celtic Princess

goldilocks
June 19th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Something I really like is this for putting scent in my hair and it's water based and I have never had a problem with it. She has summer scents now but she rotates them seasonally. You said you like cloves and she has a great winter scent that is wonderfully spicy (when I wear it people behind me say "it smells like Christmas" all cinnaminy and cloves) it's called SNOWSTORM anyway here's the link http://my.fcc.net/~terrip/index.htm

HTH hope you like the scents. :)

AlyBlu
June 19th, 2006, 07:23 PM
There is a difference between essential oils and fragrance oils - alot of fragrance oils use chemicals to recreate scents, whereas EO'S are a direct distilation of the plant/flower/herb used. I would use fragrance oils sparingly, I would also want to know what the base oil in the fragrance oil is.

birdiefu
June 20th, 2006, 01:02 AM
As long as you dilute it in a carrier oil, there should be no problem as long as it's a skin-safe FO (not for candles only or something). Most of the hair products we use contain FOs, usually it's just the 'natural' brands that use EOs.

ETA: The recommended usage rate for FOs are the same as EOs (except a few that can be used neat like TTO or lavender)- up to 2% on skin. However, for hair use only you might be able to get away with a larger concentration as long as you wash your hands after applying- but it's still not recommended.

jel
June 20th, 2006, 01:08 AM
I regularly use BPAL fragrance oils in my hair. As I understand it, they're mostly blends of essential oils anyway. The actual amount of BPAL oil is very small - I've filled an almost empty bottle of O with jojoba and use a couple of drops of that mixture on my ends (usually with Aloe gel too) - but it's enough to subtly scent my hair.

golden_gal
June 20th, 2006, 01:45 AM
I don't think that there's a problem with that.... I use perfume oils because I like the smell....

Curlsgirl
June 20th, 2006, 05:35 AM
I use fragrance oils from majestic mountain sage (www.thesage.com (http://www.thesage.com)) all the time in my spritzer and oil treatments. I've never had any issues with them. And they smell wonderful!Question, I have never used fragrance oils, only essential oils. Are the fragrance oils as strong or do you have to use more to make them as scented? I can't find some of the smells I like in essential oils and the prices on this site look really reasonable!

racecar
June 20th, 2006, 07:09 AM
I always dot some BPAL (something like 98 percent perfume) on the nape of my neck and I get a swish of fragrance throughout the day.

NuclearMosquito
June 20th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Question, I have never used fragrance oils, only essential oils. Are the fragrance oils as strong or do you have to use more to make them as scented? I can't find some of the smells I like in essential oils and the prices on this site look really reasonable!

All the fragrance oils I have tried have been on par with essential oils in scent strength. Now, as a caveat, they're not strong as in peppermint or tea tree (which I consider super strong), more like two or three drops in a mister will make a nice scent.

I have a lot of sample-sized scents from MMS, including chocolate, sandalwood (FO, not EO), frankincense and myrrh (again, FOs), and many others. They don't smell at all fake or artificial to me. I'm very happy with their products, and the quality. I also get my fixed oils from them, because as you said, their prices are very reasonable.

13bodies
June 20th, 2006, 11:31 AM
I always dab a bit of my BPAL on my hair and scalp and I've never had any problems with it. I've also seen here that some people use BPAL in their hair spritzes.