Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Is It Normal for Long Hair to Get Tangled After A Day of Wearing It Down?

Supergirl
May 29th, 2006, 05:03 AM
I've been wondering this since I became a long-haired diva. :)

becca
May 29th, 2006, 05:17 AM
I think that it is normal for some people. I know mine does.

Pierre
May 29th, 2006, 05:25 AM
I don't check for tangles every day, but I do notice a lot of tangles after wearing it down. Sometimes I can detangle them by combing in the shower, but sometimes they're kinked around each other and I have to cut them off. The kinked tangles are becoming fewer.

Emichiee
May 29th, 2006, 05:39 AM
I make sure I detangle it a couple of times a day so tangles dont build up..but in general only lots of wind would cause tangles..and thats when I wear my hair up.

Gladtobemom
May 29th, 2006, 05:52 AM
Yes.

When I wear my hair down I have to carry a large tooth bone comb with me to detangle every few hours.

If there's wind, I just put it up. I always have a couple of large hairpins in my purse.

I can't stand tangles because they turn into knots which causes breakage.

Babyfine
May 29th, 2006, 05:58 AM
I have baby-fine very fragile hair that is also naturally wavy and chemically treated to boot. Once it gets past neck length I'm having to detangle constantly all the time- windy or not. I wear my hair up all the time these days, as it's BS length because I think my hair suffers with all the detangling. (more breakage)
My hair has always been this way even "virgin", mom made me keep my hair above shoulders until I was old enough to care for it myself because of the tangles. My hair is much better when I wear it up- but I wish I could wear it down more.

I sleep on a satin pillowcase and wear it up- that helps a lot.
Also, Silicones are controversial but I do use them in moderation- they are in my leave-in s(Garnier and Longhairlovers) otherwise I wouldn't be able to have long hair-period.

I'm considering henna someday to see if that will help.

eiyela
May 29th, 2006, 06:00 AM
A day? Try an hour! My hair tangles all the time, even my bangs after a while. It's always been that way, but oil&aloe and avoiding lint helps a lot.

Daneille
May 29th, 2006, 06:28 AM
My hair tangles easily when down too. I prefer to keep it contained to prevent them.
Daneille

sofia9283
May 29th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Like others on the board my hair tangles after being down only an hour. It tangles less now because I oil it as needed and S&D four days a week.

Supergirl
May 29th, 2006, 06:36 AM
It's very good to know that this is the "norm."

OT: Emichee, I love your length, color, and straight texture in your siggy pic. :)

Nalia
May 29th, 2006, 06:37 AM
It's definitely normal for MINE. Mine doesn't take a day, it only takes five minutes.

If I don't continually brush or comb it, my hair looks horrid and stringy after a little while when I wear it down.

I still wear it down most of the time, but it's still not even at BSL yet. I suppose when it really does get long, I'll be wearing it in a braid more often, or some other updo.

nicolezoie
May 29th, 2006, 07:02 AM
I remember very clearly that my hair did NOT tangle much until it started reaching lengths where it brushed against my body, starting around BSL or so. Up to that length, I rarely ever carried a brush or a comb with me. Tangles didn't start to be much of an issue until about hip length.

Leia's_Advocate
May 29th, 2006, 07:19 AM
My hair even manages to tangle when it's up and braided, so I doubt getting longer is going to stop it. Incessant tangles and a severely sensitive scalp are the main reasons why my mom kept my hair in a bob for years. When she finally did let me grow it for the first time, it got so badly matted at the nape of my neck that no amount of combing would free it, so it was all chopped off again. But my scalp finally became forgiving, and I discovered the magic of conditioner, so she let me start growing again.

Fireweed
May 29th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Yes, the wind and rain well do it, a day in the sun and my hair is fried and tangled.

Alaia
May 29th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Yeah all it needs is to be down for an hour or so and it is tangle-city.

Must be because of movement and brushing against things (like sitting on high-backed chairs... looking forward tho to when low-backed chairs hit my hair!).

As an upshot I've just learnt how to braid my own hair (ish) after doing braids on others for years... so I can braid it now and hopefully keep it tangle free!

LaMusette
May 29th, 2006, 08:45 AM
My hair has become remarkably well-behaved since going on the LHC tender care methods.
However, the layer next to my clothing still will need careful detangling after wearing it down over a day or an evening.

EbayBeautyQueen
May 29th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Yes!! Atleast mines does, so about 3-4 times a day I comb it with a Jilbere Shower comb, yes I comb my dry straight hair with a shower comb. I lose no hairs this way and the comb glides through it. Try that.

Supergirl
May 29th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Yes!! Atleast mines does, so about 3-4 times a day I comb it with a Jilbere Shower comb, yes I comb my dry straight hair with a shower comb. I lose no hairs this way and the comb glides through it. Try that.

I have the Jilbere shower comb (the green one, the pink one, the white one, and the blue one :D) and I love them on dry and wet hair. :D

Shermie Girl
May 29th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Yes. That is why I wear mine up or braded 99% of the time. I find the the friction of my hair against my clothes does a really good job of snarling my hair. And don't get me started about wind!! :hatchet:

celebestel
May 29th, 2006, 10:47 AM
My hair tangles incredibly quickly. I can comb my hair, then go brush my teeth, and when I'm done I'll have to comb my hair again.

This may just be my hair, though, and not the length. When my hair was too short to braid or put up, I got *incredibly* bad tangles all the time (but now that I have it up or braided all the time, it only takes about three minutes to comb it all out. :D).

Lyli
May 29th, 2006, 11:15 AM
My hair tangles a lot under the canopy where it is curly. Keeping it braided helps cut the tangles for me.

birdiefu
May 29th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Lyli, the hair in your avatar looks so long!! And very thick and luxuriant :cloud9:.

But yes, there is no way my hair can go all day long without tangling. I very rarely wear it down all day anyway, but I need to at least finger-comb every half-hour or so to keep tangles from forming.

Clare-Dragonfly
May 29th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Goodness gracious, it's possible for some people to wear their hair down without it getting tangled?!

Laululintu
May 29th, 2006, 01:47 PM
A day? Try an hour! My hair tangles all the time, even my bangs after a while. It's always been that way, but oil&aloe and avoiding lint helps a lot.

Mine can tangle in less than an hour... The joys of fine Nordic hair, eh? :rolleyes:

shella13
May 29th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Mine can tangle in less than an hour... The joys of fine Nordic hair, eh? :rolleyes:My hairs are like fishing line, yet they can easily tangle when worn down too. Especially on a windy day!:bigeyes:

I love to wear my hair down, but rarely keep it that way for very long periods of time. I'll wear it down a while, then gently detangle, twist up and clip or braid. I probably detangle 3 or 4 times a day. If I'm wearing a ponytail for the day, I'm sure to detangle that evening before taking it down. It's much easier and gentler this way.

Congratulations on being a long haired Diva!:flower:

Suzie
May 29th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Mine also gets very tangled if I wear it down for any length of time.

Ursula
May 29th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Not just normal, but inevetable and unavoidable. When hair is loose, it tangles.

Braids and buns for daily wear and for sleeping keeps the tangles to a managable level for every day. Loose hair is for special occasions, with extra detangling time afterwards being part of the plan.

trolleypup
May 29th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Pretty much. Hair down means tangles for me, eventually. More and faster if I am moving around, outside, in the wind or in a dusty area. Finding a good hair routine helps, as does S&D from time to time. The more damaged the hair, the worse it tangles.

Susan D.
May 29th, 2006, 06:45 PM
I get constant tangles, and so does Rachel. We absolutely love our braids and hairtoys around here.

walkinglady
May 29th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Tangles, let me count the ways! Up, down, or braided; it just happens. I try to keep it up or braided most of the time which does help. I only wear it down on non-windy days.

Autumn
May 29th, 2006, 08:17 PM
In short, yes. If I am inside with my hair down, it doesn't tangle too much, unless I am cleaning or moving around a lot. As soon as I go outside and walk around, it tangles very easily.

Thread hijack (sorry folks):

Daneille- I really like your siggy. Your hair looks so red in that picture.

Lyli- Your hair is getting so long, and it looks thick and healthy. I love the half-up in your av.

Nice going ladies!

RepunzelGnome
May 29th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Before I discovered LHC methods, my hair tangled constantly. It would get ratty everyday...even after just a few hours down. But now, my hair is sooooo much less tangly, now that I know how to handle it. I wear it down just as often, I detangle less, it just seems like the healthier my hair is, the less it tangles. I don't know whether its the extra moisture and conditioning, or the way I handle my hair when I comb. But whatever it is...it has improved amazingly!

Not to say that I don't get ANY tangles anymore....cuz I still do. Its just down to about 5% of what it used to be. I never imagined that I could have long hair and have it be so managable.

daeana
May 29th, 2006, 08:53 PM
i'd say it definitely depends on hair type. :D

my hair doesn't really tangle unless it's restrained somehow (i.e. tucked into my coat on a windy day). otherwise, i spend virtually no time detangling my hair.

DoubleWurly
May 29th, 2006, 09:56 PM
My hair doesn't really seem to tangle at all. There's never anything a quick finger-combing doesn't take of, even after wind. 'Ya think it would tangle, with the curls and all :ponder:.

willowcandra
May 29th, 2006, 10:46 PM
it most definately is. even a ponytail leaves me with baby knots! not jus tangles lol

chicken
May 30th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Even if my hair is not that long, it tangles easily... I think that is normal

sillyca
May 30th, 2006, 02:14 AM
My hair tantgled the most between sholder and a bit past BSL at the nape of my neck. Every 20min I would try and finger comb at the least..endintg up puttingt it up usually. I did not know about this board or use conditioner much if at all so that might have helped tremendously. When I wear my hair down which is rare, I usually have an alternate put up plan. Bending over to supervise or pick up a toddler necessitates this. Especially when he was in the hair grabbing stage, bending over just gave him "vines" to grab onto if I had my hair down... drying it was difficult because of this. Now he can touch without grabbing and winding it up in his fist. We are both happier after this accomplishment. :)
LJ

Laululintu
May 30th, 2006, 03:12 AM
it most definately is. even a ponytail leaves me with baby knots! not jus tangles lol

I get that too! I used to be able to wear my hair in a ponytail without too much tangling, but now I sometimes get matted knots at the nape if it's in a ponytail for too long.

heidi w.
May 30th, 2006, 08:10 AM
I've been wondering this since I became a long-haired diva. :)

Yes.

heidi w.

somethingwicked
May 30th, 2006, 08:43 AM
My hair tantgled the most between sholder and a bit past BSL at the nape of my neck.

X2!
Mine used to get horrific snarls and mats - it would mat up so terribly underneath that I would put off picking it out for days, then finally break down and soak it with grease or conditioner and start working on it, cutting out what was just impossible. After it hit a certain length, though, it settled down (knock wood!) I almost forget about that sometimes - it was really a trial. Now I get tangles here and there, especially if I've been foolish enough to let the wind have it's way with it, but nothing that awful anymore.

Shell
May 30th, 2006, 09:29 AM
i'd say it definitely depends on hair type. :D

my hair doesn't really tangle unless it's restrained somehow (i.e. tucked into my coat on a windy day). otherwise, i spend virtually no time detangling my hair.

I completely agree. My hair simply doesn't tangle much, except in the wind or some other duress. I do detangle a few times a day (finger comb, and maybe horn comb), but that's just 'cause I want to. If I'm wearing it curly, I don't comb it--I just let it go wild!

harpgal
May 30th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Is it normal? Yes, if you have very fine hair! If I am in a humid environment such as Miami or Seattle, I can leave my hair down for a while. If it is dry outside....look out!

In other words, I took the braid out of my hair for only a few minutes when my DH took my siggy picture. Immediately afterward, back into a braid it went.

fuzzygurl
May 30th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Mine isn't even very long and it tangles very quickly. Especially i've notice this since i'm past shoulder-length now. I do remember when i was past BSL though that my hair always did tangle up really quickly. But i thought most naturally curly hair was like that?

Becca~ Your avatar pic of your Japanese Chin is adorable! how old is he/she? I have a black and white, she turned 13 years old in Feb! Our first Chin was a Red & white which are my favorite :D