Google

Web forums.longhaircommunity.com

View Full Version : Be Afraid!

Soulscribe66
May 26th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Am I the only one who finds this unnerving?

I'm at the store checking out and the women behind the counter turns her head rather quickly and . . . her hair DOESN'T MOVE! It really creeps me out when someones hair is solid. It reminds me of the early '80s when a gust of wind hits and the entire side of their head lifts. Sort of like a crunchy toupee. I also hate hugging someone and their hair crunches in my ear.

citymorningblue
May 26th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Oh gosh, I know exactly what you mean! My mom's hair is a neck-length blonde hairspray helmet so I have a lot of experience with this. It freaks me out every time. I'm perpetually begging her to kick the hairspray habit but she claims she "needs" it. :no:

Soulscribe66
May 26th, 2006, 07:19 PM
:rollin::rollin: Oh the mental picture I have of a blonde hairspray helmet. Too funny!

Tsuyu
May 26th, 2006, 07:27 PM
I don't think I have seen one before in real life but the thought of the helmet thing cracks me up..

Autumn
May 26th, 2006, 07:35 PM
I agree, solid hair is disturbing. Its fine if people want to use a little gel or something, but if your hair is crunchy you are overdoing it. I fail to understand peoples' desire to coat their hair with styling products like gel or hairspray. In my opinion, they often make the hair look worse instead of better, ruining the natural shine and texture of the hair. Also, such products are bad for the hair and the scalp.

My mother washes and conditions her hair every day, gets it highlighted, and rips through it with a plastic brush in a way that makes me cringe. When I lived at home, I watched her fix her hair for a night out by putting it in rollers, blowdrying it, brushing it with a plastic brush and spraying it with hair spray. Not exactly the best hair role model. Thank goodness I found LHC!

When I was young, I disliked it when my mother would hairspray her hair next to me without warning me so I could leave the room. She didn't seem to get that I didn't want any on me.

Emichiee
May 26th, 2006, 07:51 PM
I have seen the most solid hair yrs ago in a restaurant. Back then I was 14 and my hair still long.

A warm evening in Spain. I hung out at my exboyfriends fathers restaurant..All the way in the corner there sat 2 couples.
The women were in their early 20ies and very dressed up. One of them was complaining about it being to hot in the restaurant ..so one of the waiters opened a window..

It was very windy outside and the strong draught blew the flowers and breadsticks off the table..I was on the other side of the room and my hair got messed up...

But the two womes haispray teased hair towers didnt move an inch...nothing!And they sat almost right next to the window!
I was so shocked...and they seemd to be actually glad nothing could mess up their hair..
My BF was rolling on the flower laughing making comments about the weird hair in spanish ...
-_- I feel a bit traumatized everytime i see hair like that again...0_o

HerbalAnnie
May 26th, 2006, 08:09 PM
I always kinda liked the long hairstyles that were super-gel-coated and hung in little wire tendrils, but at least they still moved, even though somewhat stiffly.

I used to work with a girl who had short poofey hair that was, as we called it, bullet proof. Her hair didn't budge in the wind. She was a pretty young lady with an old lady hairdo.

tsenglish@ns.sy
May 26th, 2006, 08:18 PM
*shudder* you described "Aquanet hair" *shudders again*
remember that stuff? NOTHING was penetrating that shell.:grin:

Shadowlee
May 26th, 2006, 08:43 PM
My junior secretary has short hair that she straightens and spikes up every day. It suits her, but it's a bit scary how it doesn't move. I told her she should come to work with her hair how it is naturally, but she refuses because she doesn't like how it looks.

trolleypup
May 26th, 2006, 08:55 PM
i'm a bit of a roller coaster fan, so I see these glue hairdos that can come through a 50-60 mph ride with no mussing...OK...it's just wind, right? Then you see the same gluedo go through a water ride that involves going through a waterfall and water cannons (on a hot day with skilled ride attendants), and the water just beads up and rolls off. :scared:

roxydarnit
May 26th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Y'know - I don't really mind the wild and wacky 'dos that are practically bullet-proof...
I mean - most of those are a strange phase (I said MOST!)
The spikes a la Billy Idol (ooo - showing my age!) and the colorful mohawks... OK. Weird. But OK.

It's Helmet Hair that drives me batty!
My mother calls it the "Little Old Lady Bubble"
Hurricane-Proof Hairdo

Young folks being a bit "alternative" and doing bizarre things to their hair - no problem!
Adults who are otherwise neat, well-dressed and professional appearing who insist on wearing a hairstyle that looks like a cemented in place wig - I don't get!

When I had short hair, my regular stylist was on vacation - I badly needed a trim. Saw someone else in his salon.... Baaaaaaad idea!
At the time, I was wearing a longish, tousled pixie-like cut...
I came out that day looking like I had a motorcycle helmet of red hair. It took me forever to very gently comb it all out and rid myself of all the hairspray.

MMMM - smell the Aquanet!

jessie58
May 26th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Oh my gosh you guys are so funny. I do know the helmet hair of which you speak although I don't see much of it these days anymore.

My MIL (who is a hairdresser) asked me to buy some hairspray the other day so she could make an nice updo for my DD17's graduation next week and I said I wouldn't know which one to buy because I had never bought hairspray before.
She was so surprised, she had never heard of someone never using it before.

Speaking of hairspray, my DD14 went to a sleepover last year and the mother caught the bunch of them trying to light hairspray on fire. (this practice was being introduced to the rest of the group by the daughter of a fireman. Go figure) The mother sat down and lectured them about the possibility of it catching on fire and disfiguring them for life.

I personally wouldn't want anything that could burst into flames laquered onto my head. :silly:

trolleypup
May 26th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Speaking of hairspray, my DD14 went to a sleepover last year and the mother caught the bunch of them trying to light hairspray on fire. (this practice was being introduced to the rest of the group by the daughter of a fireman. Go figure) The mother sat down and lectured them about the possibility of it catching on fire and disfiguring them for life.

I personally wouldn't want anything that could burst into flames laquered onto my head. :silly:

Hairspray flamethrowers! YAY!

Don't ask me why they use a flammable propellant in hair spray and some brands of canned whipped cream (let's just say that it was an interesting effect and a very very bad smell).

Rimi
May 26th, 2006, 09:55 PM
I used Dippi-de-doo (sp?) when growing my hair out in the military.

HEY! It was the ONLY way. Gimme a break!

NuclearMosquito
May 26th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Oh geez, my mom still uses Aquanet brand hairspray. She has a short, boyish cut, and uses enough hairspray so that the top of her hair doesn't move. It IS scary when hair defies the laws of gravity...and the weather.

aisling
May 26th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Y'know - I don't really mind the wild and wacky 'dos that are practically bullet-proof...
I mean - most of those are a strange phase (I said MOST!)
The spikes a la Billy Idol (ooo - showing my age!) and the colorful mohawks... OK. Weird. But OK.

It's Helmet Hair that drives me batty!
My mother calls it the "Little Old Lady Bubble"
Hurricane-Proof Hairdo

Young folks being a bit "alternative" and doing bizarre things to their hair - no problem!
Adults who are otherwise neat, well-dressed and professional appearing who insist on wearing a hairstyle that looks like a cemented in place wig - I don't get!

Roxydarnit, I agree with you! I think this distinction is important, at least it is for me. The old lady helmet head is something totally different from the spiked do a la Billy Idol (ohhh yes, I also remember that very well). I've seen a bunch of hot mohawks and spikes on mainly rock musicians in my days but never considered a "normal" hairdo sprayed into oblivion very attractive. But a mohawk on the right head :inlove:

That said, I don't see many helmet heads around, not even on the street. OK, we don't have many poodle permed, blue haired old ladies around either. Perm yes, blue no.

jessie58
May 26th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Roxydarnit, I agree with you! I think this distinction is important, at least it is for me. The old lady helmet head is something totally different from the spiked do a la Billy Idol (ohhh yes, I also remember that very well). I've seen a bunch of hot mohawks and spikes on mainly rock musicians in my days but never considered a "normal" hairdo sprayed into oblivion very attractive. But a mohawk on the right head :inlove:

DD17's BF uses a whole bottle of white school glue to achieve his 12 inch spikes.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/jessie58/jimmyshair.jpg

No hairspray whatsoever!

pennylane
May 26th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Where do you guys see all this ladies with helmet hair ? I haven't seen one in years..... And when it comes to choosing between a mohawk and a blue poodle, well I choose the blue poodle anytime.... Really I do....:lol: ;)

hairymonster
May 27th, 2006, 01:52 AM
Talking about stiff hair, it seems to be all the rage among Chinese girls in my country! The trend used to be blonde straightened layers which evolved into blonde spiral curls. The curls, being unnatural perms, are coated with gel and spray to the point of being stiff and weird-looking. And they are not helmet heads but BSL to midback length curls! A very scary and disturbing sight :scared:

willowcandra
May 27th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Oh my gosh you guys are so funny. I do know the helmet hair of which you speak although I don't see much of it these days anymore.

My MIL (who is a hairdresser) asked me to buy some hairspray the other day so she could make an nice updo for my DD17's graduation next week and I said I wouldn't know which one to buy because I had never bought hairspray before.
She was so surprised, she had never heard of someone never using it before.

my friend used to spray her hair loads, it was the only way it would stay curly as it usually dropped when dry, so we went to a birthday party and she had two pigtails high on her head, both about five inch long. anyway we were stood in the hallway talking and a girl we were with literaly waved her hand with a cigarette in it and whoosh, up goes one pigtail to about an inch long. it took a second and we caught it quick, i am sure it would have smouldered more without the spray but it was like lighting a christmas pud.

Xandergrammy
May 27th, 2006, 07:22 AM
I used Dippi-de-doo (sp?) when growing my hair out in the military.

HEY! It was the ONLY way. Gimme a break!

Haha! I used to use Dippity Do too! You're right, it was the ONLY way! I haven't used aerosol anything since I was 12. It seems my lungs can't tolerate inhaling whatever that stuff is. I work in a drug and alcohol rehab and the patients can have no aerosols because of the dangers of "huffing". I can't imagine purposely inhaling that nasty stuff!!!!! :silly:

Leni

Valorie
May 27th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Hairspray scares me. I also can't tolerate breathing the fumes from; literally I will have to leave to breath and when someone sprays it around me I literally feel nauseated. I am like that with real heavy fragrances, too.
Of course I know this because my own mother is guilty of the same 'helmut head'. She had the most beautful chestnut waist length hair until she was about 30. Now she has a shoulder length lyered cut that she wants to keep, and she sprays it so stiff it looks dry as hay. It is very much square shaped. I keep trying to persuade her about how much prettier and softer her hair is without it, but it has become some sort of security blanket for her I think that she will not let go.
It is so bad that when we sit in her car I HAVE to crack the window b/c the odor of it is just so permeating. Ack!!

HairColoredHair
May 27th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Ahhh! Freaky immobile hair!

Sadly, my BF seems addicted to the hair gel... perhaps I can wean him off of it... :lol:

justgreen
May 27th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Oy, this thread cracked me up!:wink: I used to use Tresemme Hair spray, all other hair sprays made my head itch and scab. Then after finding LHC, I relegated two full cans of hair spray to the cabinet and forgot about them. Until last Christmas.....the dreaded hair spray fiasco, written about in my journal.:rolleyes:

I had gotten my hair to the point that we (hair, scalp and I) were extremely happy! Then I decided to do a beach head thing with my hair for the Christmas party, using said hair spray. Hair looked good, but ohhhhh what a mistake. I set myself back 6 months by using the hair spray. All the moisture and hydration I had worked so hard on the past few months, was gone in a flash. And the hair was even dryer than it had been previously. Well, I was sick about it, then remembered I had bought a can of fat coconut milk and stuck it in the cabinet for later use. I clarified my hair as gently as I could, then soaked it in a coconut/jojoba mixture I made, using my hand blender to whip it with. I poured it over my head while standing at the sink, catching the milk dripping off in a bowl. I wrapped in a plastic hair bag and a towel, for about an hour, then took a regular shower using diluted sulfate free 'poo and following that with an SMT.

Needless to say, I sent the two cans of hairspray down the street to my neighbor. She has short coarse hair and refuses to do anything different, so at least my throw aways find a good home! (I didn't give her the Infusium 23 Leave-in, I trashed it!)

Gimme shiny, soft, BLOWING IN THE WIND hair, if need be....over hair spray any day!:cloud9:

1st Cor. 11:15
May 27th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Some Aloe Vera gel works well enough for me!

Helmet head scares me so much. *Shudders*

PrincessKatie
May 27th, 2006, 12:21 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of my crunchy hair without looking awful. My hair is curly and short (it's about chin length now). I think once it's long it will look great without gel, but I'm not sure what to do in the meantime.

Xandergrammy
May 27th, 2006, 12:29 PM
DD17's BF uses a whole bottle of white school glue to achieve his 12 inch spikes.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/jessie58/jimmyshair.jpg

No hairspray whatsoever!

How does he get the glue out of his hair? Or does he always wear spikes????

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/Jess-Spike-3.jpg

(done with egg whites and Rave MegaHold #4 Pump Hairspray)

Leni

jessie58
May 27th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Hi Xandergrammy, I remember seeing this pic in your thread before. Impressive.

He only wears them on occasion, and the glue just washes out in the shower. It dries clear but you can see the residue on his scalp, it just needs to be cleaned up a bit. It holds for a couple of days with a bit of tweaking.

Samara Morgan
May 27th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Oooh all these spikey pictures are dead interesting! ;) I know what you mean about "cemented in place" hair....a lot of girls in my school wear ponytails, but the top of their heads are rock solid because they use so much hair spray and hair gel! It's horrible *shudder* :silly:

Xandergrammy
May 27th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Hi Xandergrammy, I remember seeing this pic in your thread before. Impressive.

He only wears them on occasion, and the glue just washes out in the shower. It dries clear but you can see the residue on his scalp, it just needs to be cleaned up a bit. It holds for a couple of days with a bit of tweaking.

Well, if my DS ever grows his hair back and needs spikes again, I'll let him in on the glue trick. Sounds much easier (and looks much "neater") than egg whites and hairspray!!!

Leni

Gladtobemom
May 27th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Oh my, I haven't laughed so hard in ages.

Between the

A) dancing bald dude in boxer briefs in Justgreen's avatar,
B) mohawk spikes, and
C) helmet head brigade

I've laughed myself silly.

I'll contribute mine,

My 24 yr old son came home with a beautiful girl last weekend. She was charming. And she had about 100 bows in her striped curls.

She has naturally blond hair that she dyed stripes (a single 1 inch brown stripe about 3 inches frome her head. She was wearing little blue and black bows (the kind they put in scrap books). Each one fastened to a curled tendril of hair that was waxed ito a curled spike.

I was sitting in the back yard with the little ones when she walked into the gate. I was oiling my youngest daughter's hair and combing it out.

I don't know exactly how I did it, but I managed to have a conversation with her about hair and braiding and long hair and even sulfate free shampoos. I didn't once say, "Your hair is probably pretty--but who can tell alien antenna girl!"

Do I get points for tact--she didn't bring it up so I didn't.

I must be getting very old--this was one really weird hairstyle--maybe it was a sorority dare or something (I hope so).

Gladtobemom

SchnauzerMom
May 27th, 2006, 04:40 PM
I had a helmet head hairstyle only one time in my life. When I was 18 I went to a salon and they cut and teased and sprayed my hair into a helmet. When I got home I immediately combed it out and it wasn't easy. I hate the smell of hairspray. I see women all the time here where I live with those types of styles. The wind blows a lot here but their hair never moves. Sometimes I think they must take it off at night and put it on again in the morning. I like hair that I can run my fingers through, not hair that will break a nail if I touch it.

Xandergrammy
May 27th, 2006, 05:32 PM
My 24 yr old son came home with a beautiful girl last weekend. She was charming. And she had about 100 bows in her striped curls.

She has naturally blond hair that she dyed stripes (a single 1 inch brown stripe about 3 inches frome her head. She was wearing little blue and black bows (the kind they put in scrap books). Each one fastened to a curled tendril of hair that was waxed ito a curled spike. Gladtobemom

Gladtobemom, I think you MUST have a digital camera on hand at all times and snap a good back shot (of course) of this hairdo. I'm not so sure that I would have been able to keep a straight face. :silly:

Leni

Soulscribe66
May 27th, 2006, 05:49 PM
My younger brother did a spiked mohawk with Elmer's glue. He didn't duck when he got into a car and his hair BROKE! I could not believe it. My dad ended up cutting off all his spikes because the glue wouldn't wash out and all but 2 of the spikes broke at least halfway down.

I live in the midwest and sadly helmet head is rather big with the middle aged women (50's). Maybe they wear enough hair spray for the same reason my mom seems to bathe in perfume. To make sure it lasts ALL DAY LONG.

Nightshade
May 27th, 2006, 06:31 PM
I think news anchors win for hemlet head. NOTHING moves. They have this fancy layered thing going on and it doesn't budge. it's just unnatural. It's better than a Type 2 hard hat.

On the note of hairspray flamethrowers... if you hold the can upside down it works better :twisted:

not that I know this from personal experience at all.... ;)

jessie58
May 27th, 2006, 06:56 PM
I just asked DD's BF how come the glue washes out his spiked hair so easily and he said he puts some baking soda with his shampoo. Of course, this makes perfect sense to LHCers.

Amraann
May 27th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Ahhh! Freaky immobile hair!

Sadly, my BF seems addicted to the hair gel... perhaps I can wean him off of it... :lol:

My hubby used TONS of strength 10 sports gel
He was out one day so I told him to use the Aloe Gel
He has used nothing else since!

It holds his hair just as well as the death gel and doesn't get flaky or icky.

jessie58
May 27th, 2006, 07:18 PM
My hubby used TONS of strength 10 sports gel
He was out one day so I told him to use the Aloe Gel
He has used nothing else since!

It holds his hair just as well as the death gel and doesn't get flaky or icky.
This is a brilliant idea that I should have thought of. DH now washes once a week only, oils almost nightly and has decided to grow his hair out. Next logical step would be to replace gel with aloe. Thanks.

Gladtobemom
May 27th, 2006, 07:51 PM
My husband uses Mega Gel. He has very wavy salt and pepper hair. I think it dries out his hair and makes it more frizzy.

I brought this up before and he said he'd try Aloe Gel when the Mega Gel is gone.
Well its gone now.:smirk:

Well, I just dumped it out and washed it down the sink. (I had to scrape it out with my fingers because the stuff doesn't disolve :sick: )

I filled it with aloe Gel. The mega Gel is kinda yellow and the Aloe is clear but the container is bluish--so I don't think he'll be able to tell on his fingers.;)

With his lenth of hair, he should have all new hair in about 3 months.
I wonder if he'll notice?
I wonder if there will be an improvement?
I wonder if I'll be able to keep my mouth shut?

We'll see
Gladtobemom

Xandergrammy
May 27th, 2006, 09:01 PM
My younger brother did a spiked mohawk with Elmer's glue. He didn't duck when he got into a car and his hair BROKE!

Yikes!!! Maybe I WON'T tell my son about the glue "trick".

Leni

Autumn
May 27th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Soulscribe- Thanks for starting such an entertaining thread, and everyone for you comments. :lol:

Celtic-Princess
May 27th, 2006, 11:42 PM
That is scary! i've seen many people who have hair that don't move or have little movement. Helmet hair is so out of style! i had an experience a while back with my aunt who used hair spray like it was water. every time i hugged her, her hair would not crunch it would sound like alluminum paper.......when you bunch it all up and then try to open it up. made me feel like someone was dragging their nails across a chalkboard. shiver every time i remember.

Darian Moone
May 27th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Laugh at me if you will folks, but in the 80s I had super stiff, super BIG hair! A family of squirrels could have lived in there! But hey - it was the 80s! :lol:

star13
May 28th, 2006, 04:33 AM
ok....now why is that scary??

Delenn
May 28th, 2006, 07:59 AM
This morning on the Today show there was a woman doing the weather report. Her hair was so stiff that when she tilted her head gravity wasn't gonna budge a thing, her hair went to a nice 45 degree angle along with her head. Then she did a segment outside and there were solid panels flapping like window storm shutters on the side of her head.